4486 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by RoyalBlue » 28 Aug 2022 11:54

Franchise FC
windermereROYAL You thick plank, if Afobi hadn`t touched it it wouldn`t have been on target.

Afoebe was offside if he had the last touch (he probably did) but if he didn’t touch it the goal should have stood. The second penalty shout for handball in the second half was a penalty, the defender definitely moved his shoulder up to the ball (maybe to protect himself but it’s still a penalty) Not digging him out but the pass Danny Mac made to the Reading player near the end of the match was atrocious

I haven’t seen the penalty incident they’re referencing but if it’s his shoulder then they really need to read the laws of the game

Indeed. Even allowing for the incorrect understanding of shoulder v handball (s)he also seems to still be living in the world of 'ball to hand v hand to ball'. He was turned side on, his upper arm was firmly pressed against his body so in no way could he have been deemed to have made his body unnaturally bigger.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Aug 2022 11:55

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal True, but if you lay on hands you run the risk... as I said, not strong. Better than the handball.

The second one was the best shout, but even that would have been pretty soft.

Think Millwall hurt their chances of getting a penalty by insisting too much on minor fouls. Ref seemed in the mindset that he was being played.

Can't say any of them were particularly strong either though you're right with the second.

Honestly after that game we had 4 penalties (3 clear) turned down 2 seasons ago I have no sympathy for any team left in me.

Yep. Especially seeing how many soft ones we've conceded in that time.

Ifs and buts just come back to we had two more chances that should have been goals. We rode our luck and stayed on the win.

2 ridiculous chances. Both were catastrophic failures and I was very happy to hear Ince say how disappointed he was. We can't allow that to happen.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 28 Aug 2022 11:59

Maybe The Amazons could pen a song called 'Teams Like Reading'. It seems to be really popular expression in the footballing world!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Aug 2022 20:02

When did we say we were good?

we could be playing still and we’d be waiting for a free kick in a good position or a bit of luck. We lacked quality in the final third even after the substitutions, but to be fair reading were happy to defend the 1-0. They’re not as good as they think they are.

The officials yesterday were mugged all game by the Reading players antics and cheated in their favour.

The bottom line is that it was a piss poor performance against a team who were no great shakes themselves, but who could have - and should have - scored, at least, two more.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 28 Aug 2022 20:33

windermereROYAL When did we say we were good?

we could be playing still and we’d be waiting for a free kick in a good position or a bit of luck. We lacked quality in the final third even after the substitutions, but to be fair reading were happy to defend the 1-0. They’re not as good as they think they are.

The officials yesterday were mugged all game by the Reading players antics and cheated in their favour.

The bottom line is that it was a piss poor performance against a team who were no great shakes themselves, but who could have - and should have - scored, at least, two more.

Last one is completely fair to say.

The other two are completely off the mark.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Aug 2022 20:34

windermereROYAL When did we say we were good?

They had 2 free kicks in the exact position we scored from and they would have scored from 1 if they had stayed onside.

There's a fan on twitter who does good analysis of our set pieces (for and against) and he stated Joao did wonderfully to play Afobe offside.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 04 Sep 2022 18:32

Any snippets from today ? and why weren`t those 2 Stoke tossers thrown out for goading 1871 :D

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Sep 2022 18:48

Royals and Racers Any snippets from today ? and why weren`t those 2 Stoke tossers thrown out for goading 1871 :D

They deserved to win it to be fair. We rarely threatened despite having a lot of the ball.

Tom Ince can oxf*rd off.

Never put even close to a tenth of the effort he’s put in today in any game for us

Twat.

oxf*rd off.

Reading go 2nd - shows what a shit league this is ………

Did Tom Ince ever run like that for us?

It’s F’ing depressing losing to that shower.

Made Tom Ince look like Xavi.

He hasn’t done much for Reading despite his Daddy being the only one who could have convinced an owner to take a chance on his bloated salary. I wonder if he gets a cut of that?

Tom Ince you tosser. Most effort I’ve ever seen him give.

Makes me angry that he was getting paid so handsomely when with us but played the majority of the time like he couldn’t be bothered. Makes you question the manager or his attitude. Either way he conned us.

That was awful and score flattered us if anything Delap just can't get into games at the minute. Difference was João...made a nuisance all game.

They were mainly shit and we were mainly shit.

We're crying out for a player with his intelligence and workrate, neither of which he showed with us, hence why we were happy to get rid.

Tom Ince turning in peak “against Derby” performance today, more tackles today than he managed in his career for us…

That was as bad as almost possible against a very limited team!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Sep 2022 19:01

There were a few "out coached by Paul Ince :shock: " comments mixed in as well.

I get the distinct impression a lot of middling teams' fans thought we'd be an easy 6pts this season.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Sep 2022 19:06

From Despair To Where? There were a few "out coached by Paul Ince :shock: " comments mixed in as well.

I get the distinct impression a lot of middling teams' fans thought we'd be an easy 6pts this season.

Thats honestly great for us.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 04 Sep 2022 19:13

If they're going to criticise players for lack of effort and contribution to their team then they need to look at their own performance today. Normally their support is very good and very loud. Today was probably the worst I've ever seen them.

Perhaps they were suffering from their early start this morning - they woke from their slumbers when they scored just before half-time but then snoozed for most of the remainder of the game.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Sep 2022 20:08

From Despair To Where? There were a few "out coached by Paul Ince :shock: " comments mixed in as well.

To be fair to P.Ince, he's proven thus far he's worth his salt. I doubted him and didn't think it would work (still time yet granted) but he's certainly proven me, and a lot of others, wrong so far.

The real thing I like is, he's honest and he's identified the areas since day one where the club and team need to improve and. more importantly, we've looked to put steps in place to improve on those issues. Not perfect by any means, because we've taken a few battering's, but in general we've looked solid defensively overall and we've managed to build a competitive side in the Championship that looks to have improved on weakness areas from last season.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Sep 2022 20:57

That was as bad as almost possible against a very limited team!
[/quote]

Thought they were the limited team. All very predictable, one paced and lacking in any kind of spark.
We did pretty much everything better than they did and I’d rather be watching us every week (accepting the odd thumping) than the grey fare they served up.
Did think Fosu looked decent.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Sep 2022 21:00

YorkshireRoyal99

To be fair to P.Ince, he's proven thus far he's worth his salt. I doubted him and didn't think it would work (still time yet granted) but he's certainly proven me, and a lot of others, wrong so far.

The real thing I like is, he's honest and he's identified the areas since day one where the club and team need to improve and. more importantly, we've looked to put steps in place to improve on those issues. Not perfect by any means, because we've taken a few battering's, but in general we've looked solid defensively overall and we've managed to build a competitive side in the Championship that looks to have improved on weakness areas from last season.

He’s certainly mastering the art of under promising and over delivering at the minute, I’ll give him that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Sep 2022 21:18

I think people focus on Ince a bit too much. He’s a good bloke, open and honest and knows his stuff, and does the media stuff well. But he has a super experienced back room team - Eddie N, Rae, Bowen as well. It’s 4 very experienced (but not too old to be dinosaurs) knowledgable coaches hopefully pulling in the same direction atm

Obvs ‘outcoached by Ince’ is a nice easy soundbite though

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2022 21:20

Hound I think people focus on Ince a bit too much. He’s a good bloke, open and honest and knows his stuff, and does the media stuff well. But he has a super experienced back room team - Eddie N, Rae, Bowen as well. It’s 4 very experienced (but not too old to be dinosaurs) knowledgable coaches hopefully pulling in the same direction atm

His record is also good lower down the leagues. He had a couple of high profile failures and an embarassing gif, then disappeared so he has to be awful. That's how football works.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Sep 2022 21:23

Hound I think people focus on Ince a bit too much. He’s a good bloke, open and honest and knows his stuff, and does the media stuff well. But he has a super experienced back room team - Eddie N, Rae, Bowen as well. It’s 4 very experienced (but not too old to be dinosaurs) knowledgable coaches hopefully pulling in the same direction atm

By all accounts most of the coaching is done by James Oliver-Pearce, the young coach who moved from Wimbledon. He seems to be a real up and coming talent and getting him to join us was a bit of a coup.
Last edited by Nameless on 04 Sep 2022 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Sep 2022 21:24

One comment on the their board was that they were outfought, outrun, outmuscled and outplayed.

Sweet.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Sep 2022 21:34

They have moved all the supporters that want to sing and stand to the stand behind the goal and the atmosphere there is much better now. It used to be terrible. We can learn from this but obviously without the drum.

Not a great away day experience for me today, my daughter was hit by a flare after they scored and was very lucky that it exploded against the concrete and not her legs as she was wearing shorts. Very very upset and has a massive bruise on her hip

Thanks to the Stokies who came over to see if she was ok

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Sep 2022 21:38

Find the comment about T.Ince only being there because of his dad quite funny given that Stoke only got highly rated Liam Delap on loan because err...his Dad is a coach there.

4486 posts