Opposition fans back from the game

4486 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Sep 2022 16:55

Nameless
From Despair To Where? I'm actually thinking the World Cup break will help us. Its full on for another 2 months then a 3 week break

Several of our players won’t benefit from that break though....

Why not? Who is going to the World Cup in our squad, Yiadom, Rahman and Hoilett? I'm not anticipating Ghana and Canada will make it out of the group stage, so should be back in decent time with a good amount of match sharpness still there I'd say.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Sep 2022 17:10

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
From Despair To Where? I'm actually thinking the World Cup break will help us. Its full on for another 2 months then a 3 week break

Why not? Who is going to the World Cup in our squad, Yiadom, Rahman and Hoilett? I'm not anticipating Ghana and Canada will make it out of the group stage, so should be back in decent time with a good amount of match sharpness still there I'd say.

That still gives the other 20 odd a decent rest

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 05 Sep 2022 17:11

Chairman Mao
From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal His record is also good lower down the leagues. He had a couple of high profile failures and an embarassing gif, then disappeared so he has to be awful. That's how football works.

I seem to remember Steve Coppell was seen as a bit of busted flush on the basis of one very short spell at a high profile but absolute basketcase club.

Ince has always done well in "backs to the wall" situations which suggests he's exactly the man to get us back on an even keel but long term maybe not the man to take us massively forward. I'm quite happy for him to get us back on an even keel, it's what we've been crying out for for nearly a decade. I like his honestly and lack of manager speak billshit.

honestly dont think you need/want next level 4d chess management and taking us to the"next level" sometimes
it shouldnt be that hard.
getting a squad together, addressing gaps in squad with available money, getting them playing together with some team spirit, giving them shape and formation, get them knowing their jobs, getting/keeping them fit and giving them a rocket every now and then.

I think thinking about that next level has been the cause of many of our problems. just do the basics well and go from there
Totally agree Maoster. Just play decent Championship football, as opposed to some modern possession based football when you don't have enough players good enough to execute that style of play. We've shown with both SSC and Sir Brian that the sum of the parts can be a recipe for success in this division

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2022 17:17

3points
Hound For sake of argument, if we got the main men back fit, didn’t suffer too many more injuries and brought in say Luongo and Carroll we could line up a bit like this (obvs could argue on exact team but again for illustration)

Lumley
Yiadom Holmes Sarr McIntyre Baba
Hendrick Loum Fornah
Ince Joao

Bouzanis, Hutch, Ejaria, Meite, Long, Hoilett, Luongo/Carroll

With back up looking like

Luongo/Carroll, Tetek, Ehib, Abrefa, Craig, Clarke(s), u23s….Dann (lolz), Moore

Probably missed someone as well

That side could undoubtedly be top 10/ pushing play offs. Just don’t see them staying fit long consistently enough to give us that depth

probably add Femi Azeez into the mix for a bit of depth up front / out wide too (if he ever stays fit for longer than 3 games) and also Guiness -Walker seems a pretty reasonable squad player

Big concern I have is how we'd manage a long term injury to Yiadom. I guess it'd be a mix of either Hoilett and Holmes

Hoilett and Abrefa imo. Lots of sub minutes for the youngster.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Sep 2022 17:20

My point was more that Ince has done well when he's had to stabilise clubs rather than at one's where they've been expected to challenge. In that sense, his record suggests he's a excellent choice for the situation we are currently in. I'd be concerned if we finished 12th this season and then suddenly the expectation is to challenge for the playoffs as I think we'd be getting ahead of ourselves. I think he (as in him and the back room staff) are doing a decent job of managing expectation whilst rebuilding the club from the ground up.

Let's just continue to build on stronger foundations and see where it takes us.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Sep 2022 08:16

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

Well going by the latest Ghana squad, Yiadom must be on the fringes as he's not in it, so may not make the WC.

Most of the squad will get a break, which will be much needed but worth noting that Canada don't play their last group game until the 1st December and Ghana, 2nd December. If Loum makes the Senegal squad, their last group game is the 29th November.

If Yiadom/Rahaman do make the Ghana squad and they manage to reach the 2nd round - then that game will be on the 5th or 6th December - meaning an unlikely return flight until the 7th or 8th. So there is a possibility we go into the Coventry game with both wing backs either still at the WC or returning around 48hrs before the game - not ideal.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Sep 2022 08:31

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

Well going by the latest Ghana squad, Yiadom must be on the fringes as he's not in it, so may not make the WC.

Most of the squad will get a break, which will be much needed but worth noting that Canada don't play their last group game until the 1st December and Ghana, 2nd December. If Loum makes the Senegal squad, their last group game is the 29th November.

If Yiadom/Rahaman do make the Ghana squad and they manage to reach the 2nd round - then that game will be on the 5th or 6th December - meaning an unlikely return flight until the 7th or 8th. So there is a possibility we go into the Coventry game with both wing backs either still at the WC or returning around 48hrs before the game - not ideal.

I’d be ok with Nesta and Abrefa for a game or two.
Suddenly we do actually have a squad with viable options !

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Sep 2022 09:31

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

Potentially - I just don't think either team (taking Loum out of it for now) will make it out of the group stage, so should be back in decent time. As mentioned below, if we had to play Abrefa and NGW for a game or two, then it's not the worst thing in the world.

I was also more referring to the "several" players aspect, as we are only really looking at 2-4 players, so the majority of our squad will stay together during the World Cup break.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Sep 2022 10:52

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99

Potentially - I just don't think either team (taking Loum out of it for now) will make it out of the group stage, so should be back in decent time. As mentioned below, if we had to play Abrefa and NGW for a game or two, then it's not the worst thing in the world.

I was also more referring to the "several" players aspect, as we are only really looking at 2-4 players, so the majority of our squad will stay together during the World Cup break.

Presumably clubs can still postpone league games if 3 or more of their players are away on international duty - might Coventry have anyone at the WC too?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Sep 2022 11:55

YorkshireRoyal99

Sorry, I was using the classic, dictionary definition of ‘several’. (More than 2, but not many).
I can see this must be confusing if you have your own unique definition of common words :wink: :wink:

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Sep 2022 13:40

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

Sorry, I was using the classic, dictionary definition of ‘several’. (More than 2, but not many).
I can see this must be confusing if you have your own unique definition of common words :wink: :wink:

Ultimately, we won't know until squads are announced. If it's true that Yiadom is on the fringes/not involved, then the classic dictionary definition of several would be wrong wouldn't it.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Sep 2022 15:09

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

Ultimately, we won't know until squads are announced. If it's true that Yiadom is on the fringes/not involved, then the classic dictionary definition of several would be wrong wouldn't it.

One thing we can be certain on is that you don't know what "several" means.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Sep 2022 17:26

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

I'd be perfectly happy with Hoilett and Guiness-Walker for a run of games in their absence, let alone just the one or two.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Sep 2022 01:45

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99

I'd be perfectly happy with Hoilett and Guiness-Walker for a run of games in their absence, let alone just the one or two.

Unless Canada get to the knockout stages too.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Sep 2022 07:53

tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Unless Canada get to the knockout stages too.

If Canada get through at the expense of Belgium or Croatia that will be one of the biggest shocks in recent WC history. Their target will be beating Morocco, anything beyond that would be a bonus.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 07 Sep 2022 09:27

Bit late but a Stoke supporting colleague who went to the game said we were a shit long ball team and will get relegated this season. Hard to reason with someone like that but I made the point that I think we mix it up pretty well and there's a difference between a long pass and a long ball, and that for all their talented midfielders they didn't create a huge amount and only scored from a set piece.

I also pointed out that if we're shit they must be absolutely dire because they couldn't break us down and we saw the game out pretty comfortably in the end.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Sep 2022 09:32

JedMaxwell Bit late but a Stoke supporting colleague who went to the game said we were a shit long ball team and will get relegated this season. Hard to reason with someone like that but I made the point that I think we mix it up pretty well and there's a difference between a long pass and a long ball, and that for all their talented midfielders they didn't create a huge amount and only scored from a set piece.

I also pointed out that if we're shit they must be absolutely dire because they couldn't break us down and we saw the game out pretty comfortably in the end.

You should ask him which of the two teams currently sit just outside the bottom four. it`s not unusual for fans to throw a hissy when their team have been comfortably beaten.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Sep 2022 09:53

Bringing this thread back to what it should be about...

This is gathering momentum again - i actually didnt see this - but will the culprit be caught...

Tell me about it, I was enraged after it happened and the more I thought about what could have happened to her.

Also Malcolm and his counterparts are doing their best to help

that and this pushing people down steps, some kids will be in for a slap pushing old folk down. im all for good atmosphere and a good fun day out. but theres lines, as stoke fans we used police this ourself but seems majority have gone oxf*rd soft!!

Why do people near the person throwing allow it to happen? PLEASE GROW A PAIR AND THROW 'EM OUT!

The pyro isn't the issue it's the bellend throwing it

Hope she’s ok mate and not terrified by her next experience. It’s a real shame kids are put off by this kind of idiocy

Sorry to hear about your daughter, the authorities need to clamp down on this imbecilic behaviour. I don't like the idea of stop and searches coming back but I not sure there is another way to stop unless people get caught and retrospective punishment taken.

Supervising steward said they were giving them to kids to smuggle in as they can’t search the kids.

They look great on the Yellow Wall at Dortmund, and absolutely shit on the terraces of middling, beige, English Championship clubs. Completely pointless.

If it was my daughter I’d want the **** hung. I want to know what happens in this investigation. Probably **** all

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Sep 2022 10:05

John Smith incoming.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Sep 2022 13:24

JedMaxwell Bit late but a Stoke supporting colleague who went to the game said we were a shit long ball team and will get relegated this season. Hard to reason with someone like that but I made the point that I think we mix it up pretty well and there's a difference between a long pass and a long ball, and that for all their talented midfielders they didn't create a huge amount and only scored from a set piece.

If only they had a keeper who could play the long ball as effectively as our’s !

4486 posts