Opposition fans back from the game

4486 posts
Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by Orion1871 » 16 Dec 2023 14:21

Snowflake Royal
leon
Snowflake Royal Well done on missing the point leon.

Which is that if you keep showing movement and not receiving the ball or getting it late so you're offside, you give up moving.

Wind your neck in sonny.

My point was movement creates space especially in the hole between midfield and opposition defence. I see no movement consistently. It’s not people giving up it’s people not moving. They look rigid and drilled. No instinctive play at all.

Not exactly a controversial point.

I know what movement is leon. The post is about why there isn't any. Not that there is or isn't any.

Maybe if you weren't such a prick, and learned to take a point, you'd have got a more patient response. But you're still not listening.

Pot meet kettle

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Dec 2023 10:17

Lincoln:

Quite how Reading didn't leave Sincil Bank with 3 deserved points I really don't know. They were simply brighter and more cohesive than us for all the match, bar the opening few minutes.

Reading had two chalked off which on another day could have stood

The linesman on that side did us some favours there. Perhaps he should be considered for our MOM poll?

Reading scored a nicely worked goal, though one which did seem to slice through our otherwise pretty solid back line too easily.

Reading have had constant financial troubles, players not being paid etc and still they played like they wanted it, we didn’t.

You do wonder how we are 9th and they are 23rd (20th if you add the 4 points back).

Reading fans have benefitted from the excesses of their dalliance with the Premier league and all the excesses that go with it for years with no regard for sustainability. Now this kind of cheating has failed to prevent them from sliding down the leagues they are bleating. They should have heard the alarm bells ringing years ago. So that's why I haven't got much time for their current little domestic protest.
How many millions has that club spaffed to be where they are? Even John Madeski hasn't got the wherewithall to rescue them now, he says billionnaires only need apply

we had no answer to Reading who got behind our back line time after time. Unlike us, they hunted I packs. As soon as we came into possession, there were two or three on us immediately and invariably we had no t8 e to move or pass. That said, I thought they shot themselves in the foot wither changes in the second half.

Reading attacked with speed down the wings, had the ball in the net twice only to be ruled out on each occasion (foul on one and offside on one). To be honest, after our first soiree into their box we didn't trouble their keeper again. Reading, according to their fans, are a massive Jekyll and Hyde team and today we got the better side of them- number of their fans commented it was the best they'd seen them play all season

We got away with that one, Reading played some good passing footi at times and will be wondering how they didnt win, great support too, think it was 901 visitors.

Quite how Reading didn't leave Sincil Bank with 3 deserved points I really don't know. They were simply brighter and more cohesive than us for all the match, bar the opening few minutes.

Terrific game for the neutrals but not for the coaches. Reading deserved to win it as they clearly had better basics, more physicality and more desire to win the ball and attack. We were exactly the opposite.

Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say the opposition were really good.

Reading played much better than their league position suggests.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 18 Dec 2023 11:09

Never seen such humble comments from an opposition team fair play to them.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Dec 2023 11:16

Apart from the one where the fans are to blame for all our current off pitch travails.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 18 Dec 2023 11:33

WestYorksRoyal Apart from the one where the fans are to blame for all our current off pitch travails.

Fans generally have the opinion that we only got to the premier league was because Madejski was spending fortunes and loading the club with huge debts

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Dec 2023 12:14

Brogue Never seen such humble comments from an opposition team fair play to them.

Yeah - that was my assessment too.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Dec 2023 12:46

tmesis
WestYorksRoyal Apart from the one where the fans are to blame for all our current off pitch travails.

Fans generally have the opinion that we only got to the premier league was because Madejski was spending fortunes and loading the club with huge debts

Weird view that one, Madejski can only be accused of bankrolling us out of League One (Div 2 at the time), he very much ran at a level where we were self-sustainable if we sold a player for a decent fee every couple of seasons, which at Championship level, would have put us amongst the more sensibly run clubs.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Dec 2023 12:49

tidus_mi2
tmesis

Weird view that one, Madejski can only be accused of bankrolling us out of League One (Div 2 at the time), he very much ran at a level where we were self-sustainable if we sold a player for a decent fee every couple of seasons, which at Championship level, would have put us amongst the more sensibly run clubs.

It is the typical way of doing things and I doubt most L1 club fans followed the details of our rise up the Champ to the PL though, so I think a forgiveable error.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Dec 2023 01:38

Brogue Never seen such humble comments from an opposition team fair play to them.

Fair play to the Lincoln fans. Most are a decent bunch and honest/fair.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Dec 2023 09:04

Generally lower league fans are more reasonable. No grandeurs or ideas above their station, just happy to go and watch games on Saturday.

Which fans at this level would say "I can't be believe we didn’t beat tinpot shitty Reading"? Probably Portsmouth and Oxford right now, and even Oxford is not because of big ideas above their station. It's because they've waited almost 25 years to beat us and they still couldn't in our current situation.

bakerlou

by bakerlou » 29 Dec 2023 15:21

A selection of remarks from Peterborough fans ( https://londonroad.net/Forum/ )

****************************************************************************************

Frustrating, but you can't win them all. Reading were better than most of the abject shite we've played the last few weeks.

Aziz has been the best man on the pitch by far.

To be fair to Reading, they deserved a point, even though Posh were so wasteful in front of goal.

A terrific game of enjoyable football. Both sides deserved a point - and so it turned out.

Have to accept it was a good game, we should have won, but they could have won, 1-1 when they smashed the bar/post and we might have folded.

Hate to say this, and I really do hate it, but that appalling bastard Sam Smith showed us what an intelligent, quick striker could do for us.
We are not going to win them all so I can accept this draw. Reading were really up for it. Their number 11 looks a very good league one player.

Fact is, we clear the ball we win. We deserved to win with some excellent football albeit not for as long periods as recently. However, when we really pushed it we looked great. Reading however were decent. Not whingeing and I totally get these things happen, hard job etc but some of the officiating was woeful. The lino on the main stand second half was two yards away from 2 incidents and both times looked up awaiting the referee's opinion, both of which he got wrong. Impossible to see from LRE I know but seeing the footage, and of course the camera wasn't level Kyprianou's 'goal' didn't look offside, at the time ones intuitive reaction was it looked harsh and Kioso getting fouled in the box gets given anywhere else on the pitch. Again the lino did not react and looked at the ref who was not up with play.

***************************************************************************************************

General consensus - they ought to have won that really, but we could have done so too, the officials were dreadful, and WTF was going on at BBC / Sky?

To which one can only think - yeah, yeah, shrug, and 'greed.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Dec 2023 19:40

tidus_mi2
tmesis

I didn't read it that way. I read it as saying "why weren't Reading fans complaining about all the money being spaffed on their club when it was actually happening (e.g. when wages were more than double total income)? Why are they only protesting now the money-spaffing has stopped and the club is being punished for it?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2023 20:25

Dirk Gently
tidus_mi2
tmesis Fans generally have the opinion that we only got to the premier league was because Madejski was spending fortunes and loading the club with huge debts

I didn't read it that way. I read it as saying "why weren't Reading fans complaining about all the money being spaffed on their club when it was actually happening (e.g. when wages were more than double total income)? Why are they only protesting now the money-spaffing has stopped and the club is being punished for it?

Quite a few of us were.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 03 Jan 2024 17:29

Any pearls of wisdom from the Exeter fans ?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Jan 2024 20:23

I started trawling through their matchday thread but it's even more depressing than here.

Only thing of note I spotted before giving up was that we have good attacking players but no identity. It's mainly about how they are nailed on for relegation and Caldwell must go.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2024 23:11

From Despair To Where? I started trawling through their matchday thread but it's even more depressing than here.

Only thing of note I spotted before giving up was that we have good attacking players but no identity. It's mainly about how they are nailed on for relegation and Caldwell must go.

Smart lot.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 04 Jan 2024 11:45

Jesus. I didn't think they were that bad compared to other sides we've played like Cheltenham, Carlisle, Shrewsbury, Leyton Orient and Lincoln

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 04 Feb 2024 17:04

Any Oxford fans giving Reading any credit ?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 04 Feb 2024 21:01

Royals and Racers Any Oxford fans giving Reading any credit ?

I think the general consensus seems to be that both sides were fairly poor. Doing a quick skim for quotes:
You reap what you sow. Don’t attack enough when 1-0 up and you’re always at risk of one mistake, one good move or one fluke and three points becomes one.

We just seemed to get worse as the game went on.

Really disappointing. Both sides will be playing League 1 football next year, I feel.

Smith for them was good again, very effective. They are lucky to have some good attacking players and Wing in midfield, because that Craig and one of their centre backs looked non-league standard.

Same **** each week. Take the lead at HT, come out, pump the ball long, watch it come back and eventually concede.

Reading deserved all 3 points imo. A season that looked so promising is evaporating quickly.

Took the words out of my mouth there. Getting sick of the negative football and no urgency shown by the team. Reading had more fight than us throughout the game!

Same **** each week. Take the lead at HT, come out, pump the ball long, watch it come back and eventually concede.

Reading deserved all 3 points imo. A season that looked so promising is evaporating quickly.

They didn’t deserve all three points. Neither did we.

A draw was fair.

It was a typical local derby, frantic and without much good football. Reading werent very good but they were a bit more up for it, and it’s disappointing that none of our forward players could find a bit of magic. I’d have put Henry on towards the end but we should have had enough to win it - which I guess we would have without our rookie right back’s slip.

Wish the window was still open, that Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan looked a great player off the bench for them. 6’3”, genuine pace, can hold it up and put in a cross right on the money for their equaliser. He was better than anything we had and was only on for 25 minutes.

With 10 first team players out injured and players like Negru playing in a different position.

Reading have some good players still and towards the end looked like they might win.

This is a Reading that have been under transfer embargo’s, are skint (so skint players and staff haven’t been paid on various occasions) have lost players in January AND have their own injuries?

I’m not sure our injury crisis cuts it as an excuse, tbh.

As seem to happen with us all too often, we score a goal and then seem to think the job is done. Reading were marginally the better team for the last bit of the first half and for long periods of the second half - when I don't think anyone would disagree we were pretty terrible.

Luke somebody said ,we haven't had Reading problems and they outplayed us at times.

Reading came out second half with grit and determination that they were going to get something out of the game. Us on the other hand came out like we thought we already won the game and this was just a cool down period.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 05 Feb 2024 13:33

Assume the CB reference was for Mbengue rather than Bindon? Interesting comment on Craig as he looked so much better than Savage the previous week, having come off the bench.

4486 posts