Statistics show

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Statistics show

by M Brook » 13 Aug 2013 18:51

Cureton's Volley
M Brook Statistics Show is my favourite television programme. I manage to watch it 3 weeks out of 4 but then, because of interruptions, I only actually watch 90% of each episode. Assuming the current series has 12 episodes, what percentage of the whole series will I actually watch and what would be the equivalent in actual episodes?

67.5%
8.1 episodes

You're clearly a fan too!

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 13 Aug 2013 19:48

paddy20 Sidwelll is the best midfield player we have ever had, arguably the best player ever. Look forward to being proud to see him in an England shirt.

paddy20 Whether we go up or not depends on the attitude of the supporters

paddy20 PS how do you get a different shade when copy and pasting another comment. Thanks

paddy20 PS how do you get shading on copy and paste?

paddy20 Is it time to question Nicky Hammond's skills at negotiating?

paddy20 Hammond's done RFC proud and brought in numerous brilliant signings at the right prices, I would say he's certainly the man for us and has brilliant negotiating skills

paddy20 done RFC proud and brought in numerous brilliant signings at the right prices, I would say he's certainly the man for us and has brilliant negotiating skills

paddy20 can anyone please tell me how to shade the copy and paste when referring to another post
ta

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 13 Aug 2013 20:44

Ian Royal Statistically (in other words, not necessarily reliably) the two weakest performers so far, iirc, have been Blackman against Bolton (definitely) followed by ALF against Ipswich (I think). I'll check when I'm home.

But the sample size is really too small to draw any firm conclusions yet, and in any case, performance has far too many unmeasurable or subjective variables to be based solely on statistics, which is where snowstat consistently goes wrong. It must also be based on observation and opinion.

Bizarrely, I think you have just proved him right. Our defence are good but can improve, our midfield are good but can improve, our play has been brilliant in patches but needs consistency, our forward play has been dire and we all know we need a striker who can play in a 4-5-1 formation.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Aug 2013 23:21

FridaysGhost
Ian Royal Statistically (in other words, not necessarily reliably) the two weakest performers so far, iirc, have been Blackman against Bolton (definitely) followed by ALF against Ipswich (I think). I'll check when I'm home.

But the sample size is really too small to draw any firm conclusions yet, and in any case, performance has far too many unmeasurable or subjective variables to be based solely on statistics, which is where snowstat consistently goes wrong. It must also be based on observation and opinion.

Bizarrely, I think you have just proved him right. Our defence are good but can improve, our midfield are good but can improve, our play has been brilliant in patches but needs consistency, our forward play has been dire and we all know we need a striker who can play in a 4-5-1 formation.

I've done no such thing.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 14 Aug 2013 09:08

blueroyals
paddy20 Sidwelll is the best midfield player we have ever had, arguably the best player ever. Look forward to being proud to see him in an England shirt.

paddy20 Whether we go up or not depends on the attitude of the supporters

paddy20 PS how do you get a different shade when copy and pasting another comment. Thanks

paddy20 PS how do you get shading on copy and paste?

paddy20 Is it time to question Nicky Hammond's skills at negotiating?

paddy20 Hammond's done RFC proud and brought in numerous brilliant signings at the right prices, I would say he's certainly the man for us and has brilliant negotiating skills

paddy20 done RFC proud and brought in numerous brilliant signings at the right prices, I would say he's certainly the man for us and has brilliant negotiating skills

paddy20 can anyone please tell me how to shade the copy and paste when referring to another post
ta

But aren't you proud that I can now Quote and shade?

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 14 Aug 2013 09:30

The trick is to innovate, not follow the herd and try to catch up with what others are doing as they're already ahead of you.[/quote]

Using statistics is still quite rare in Uk for football so at this stage would probably put you ahead . Good point though about innovation and thinking outside the box

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Aug 2013 10:09

im proud of you paddy. very proud

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 14 Aug 2013 12:08

Has anyone else apart from paddy20 OP and me actually read this damn book?

The point the OP extracts is a reasonable one. There are plenty of times I've seen the opposition deliberately playing on Shorey's lack of height at the far post and benefiting. Watford's last League game of the season (the boy keeper who done bad) is a particular case in point.

Paddy, the standard initial reaction to any statistical insight is 'but what about' - not 'ah thanks for that.'

Mind you, I have the same reaction to some of their other findings!!

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 14 Aug 2013 12:23

tbf there are quite a few people on this portal who are reasonably well educated in statistics. What does the book actually say? What strategies could we start using tomorrow at RFC