by SLAMMED » 24 Aug 2013 23:58

:roll:

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MARIAPPA IS THE ANSWER

by Big Ern » 25 Aug 2013 00:11

URZZZZZ Do I need to say anymore??

prob regret this in the morning along with the hangover

I am in complete agreement...you will regret this in the morning.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 25 Aug 2013 00:12

I think better footwear is the answer

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 25 Aug 2013 00:13

This is why they should have a sobriety confirmation test before your post can be submitted.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 25 Aug 2013 00:34

Yes I will regret it but its actually true, Mariappa is the the answer, from a defensive point of view anyway. But NA is not playing him for whatever reason

is it because he is black?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 25 Aug 2013 00:49

DON'T POST THE THREAD TITLE IN CAPITALS. YOU DON'T KNOW ME, SO DON'T SHOUT ON MY COMPUTER.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Aug 2013 01:31

outscoring the opposition would be nice

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 25 Aug 2013 01:45

NA seems to be a bit better at keeping the fans abreast with positive team developments so the silence on Mariappa makes me think he wants away.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 25 Aug 2013 08:45

We do have some very bad losers on here huh?

We gave away one goal from a poor pass from our main attacking outlet, otherwising looking pretty solid, and this means that we need to replace one of 2 young centre backs who've done little wrong so far this season?

Mental. Its going to be a very long season if we have to put up with crap like this every time we don't beat a team. We're Reading FC ffs, we have no divine right to beat any team in this league. Its a long season, let's at least give the guys more than 4 games before calling for heads.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 25 Aug 2013 10:24

winchester_royal We do have some very bad losers on here huh?

We gave away one goal from a poor pass from our main attacking outlet, otherwising looking pretty solid, and this means that we need to replace one of 2 young centre backs who've done little wrong so far this season?

Mental. Its going to be a very long season if we have to put up with crap like this every time we don't beat a team. We're Reading FC ffs, we have no divine right to beat any team in this league. Its a long season, let's at least give the guys more than 4 games before calling for heads.

This!

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 25 Aug 2013 10:32

Was not just on about yesterday's performance I meant all 4 games in which we have not shown the best defensive abilities. Not to mention we have already let in 6 goals in the first 4 games this season only scoring 1 more in the process. No clean sheets, and we was not much better in pre season.
Also was not calling for anyone's head, just giving an opinion of which I believe we would be stronger in defence with Mariappa in the team

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 25 Aug 2013 10:32

What was the question again?

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 25 Aug 2013 13:14

I would have him in for Morrison. Pearce offers more on set plays. Pearce needs to improve his distribution though.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 25 Aug 2013 14:01

Think this is a similar thing to McD and Gutherie. Atkins just doesn't seem to like him

CrispyRoyal

by CrispyRoyal » 25 Aug 2013 14:24

I believe that scoring more goals than the opposition is the way forward, though implementing this tactic will take time.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Aug 2013 15:33

Lets just analyse the goals we've conceeded a second. I've highlighted in bold who I think has been most at fault

Ipswich
Karacan allows too much space for a cross field ball, Gunter loses our to Tabb, McCarthy parries to the centre of the goal, Morrison is beaten to the ball and HRK fails to pick up Tabb.

Bolton
McCleary is too slow out to a throw in and he and Guthrie allow in a cross. Karacan fails to track his man and Bridge is left in no man's land.

Watford
1) Gunter, Morrison and Blackman are beaten in the air by Faraoni
2) Guthrie gives away a penalty
3) We're playing too deep, HRK deflects the ball into a strikers path.

Blackpool
Drenthe makes a slightly inadvisable pass, Bridge loses it stupidly, Morrison falls over and McCarthy could perhaps have done better.

I just don't see how that highlights a serious problem with our centrebacks. Morrison's made a couple of mistakes, but he's also young and inexperienced, so it will happen occasionally. The only way he'll improve is by playing. Largely, he's played very well from what I've seen. Yes we've conceeded some stupid goals and too many in general, but I think people are looking at things at face value too much and deciding that because their favourite is out of the team currently, playing him will solve all of the problems. Same goes for Kelly over Gunter.

Fine, if you want to argue that our centre of defence is a little on the slow side and is vulnerable to players running at them. But don't just complain we're conceeding to much and Mariappa and / or Kelly are some sort of panacea. Because they aren't. We've been sloppy, and the midfield is as much to blame, if not more so, than the defence for many of the goals we've conceeded.

And if we'd got a slightly better cutting edge upfront it would be academic. Yes, ALF has missed two or three he could have done better with, but he's got two and is getting in the positions to score. Which is more than can be said for Blackman, Drenthe, McCleary, Robson-Kanu, Pogrebnyak or McAnuff so far.

Oh, and apart from against arguably the best team in the division with an attack that's on fire, we've only conceeded one goal to anyone else.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 25 Aug 2013 16:58

Royal Ginger DON'T POST THE THREAD TITLE IN CAPITALS. YOU DON'T KNOW ME, SO DON'T SHOUT ON MY COMPUTER.

PARDON?

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 25 Aug 2013 17:13

But what's the question?

Because I think the most pressing question we have is "How do we score goals?" - and there's no way Mariappa is the answer to that one.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 25 Aug 2013 17:43

Alexander Litvinenko But what's the question?

Because I think the most pressing question we have is "How do we score goals?" - and there's no way Mariappa is the answer to that one.

Though I suspect he could hold the ball up better than Blackman.