The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7574 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2014/15

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2016 20:59

Shape in midfield has been non-existent. Fernandez really not impressing.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 11 Jan 2016 21:08

Who set up Fosu's goal?

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 11 Jan 2016 21:14

Ian Royal Fernandez really not impressing.

I thought he had an ok game, but would expect him to stand out a lot more for someone of his experience.
Still can't quite believe he played. Doesn't suggest he's got much of a future for the rest of the season, especially once Tish is back.
Actually reminds me of when Matejovsky was playing for the reserves in Brian's first half season here, despite first team games around the same time, wonder if Fernandez actually requested to play as seem to remember Matejovsky did.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 11 Jan 2016 21:20

KC Royal Who set up Fosu's goal?

Looked like Fernandez played the pass from midfield.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 11 Jan 2016 21:22

ZacNaloen
KC Royal Who set up Fosu's goal?

Looked like Fernandez played the pass from midfield.

Wasn't Fosu played in by one of the strikers after that? Thought it was a neat pass into him from just outside the box.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 11 Jan 2016 21:39

Last edited by PistolPete on 11 Jan 2016 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 11 Jan 2016 21:42

Seeing is Goalkeeper is the hardest position to create a future pro from (there's only 72 starting in the league compared to 144 centre backs etc), why don't we use one of our 3 overage players as a seasoned old GK with a flair for organising the defence? Surely that would teach our back 4 a lot and would also help by having a better keeper to keep us in matches? Is Al Habsi vocal?

EDIT: Alex McCarthy, Adam Federici, Sean Allaway, Jamie Ashdown, Mikel Andersen, Ben Hamer and at least one other! :oops:

EDIT 5: Did Steve Clarke REALLY let Sal Bibbo go?!

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Jan 2016 21:56

PistolPete there's only 72 starting in the league compared to 144 centre backs etc

What if teams play 3 at the back?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 12 Jan 2016 00:24

ZacNaloen Missed out on a gem with Matty Willock haven't we?

You had me temporary fuming at the thought of Man Utd pinching one of our youngsters, but a quick google suggests he was only on trial, so never mind.

Also just realised that it was his brother Chris playing for Arsenal vs the U18s in the cup game last season I went to. Looked even better.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Jan 2016 07:55

There are more than 72 keepers starting in the league. At least 73 getting regular starts at the moment.....

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 12 Jan 2016 08:41

This is so Hobnob. You make a point and the replies all pick you up on an irrelevant technicality. :roll:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Jan 2016 11:24

PistolPete Seeing is Goalkeeper is the hardest position to create a future pro from (there's only 72 starting in the league compared to 144 centre backs etc), why don't we use one of our 3 overage players as a seasoned old GK with a flair for organising the defence? Surely that would teach our back 4 a lot and would also help by having a better keeper to keep us in matches? Is Al Habsi vocal?

EDIT: Alex McCarthy, Adam Federici, Sean Allaway, Jamie Ashdown, Mikel Andersen, Ben Hamer and at least one other! :oops:

EDIT 5: Did Steve Clarke REALLY let Sal Bibbo go?!

A few points:

1) We produce twice as many centre backs as goalkeepers (at least at U18 level) so each individual player should have a similar chance of "making it".
2) We shouldn't just "give up" on a position so that we can get better results.
3) We don't have anyone to play there - our only experienced goalkeeper is playing in the first team.
4) Jamie Young
5) It's three overage players plus a goalkeeper

Now the last of those is an irrelevant technicality but the first three, in my opinion, are relevant and, in combination, fatal.

Squelchy2507

by Squelchy2507 » 18 Jan 2016 21:15

Fulham U18 1 Reading U18 3.
A good win for the Royals in FA Youth Cup tonight

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jan 2016 13:10

Good stuff on the club website from David Dodds (that's not the ex-Dundee United player is it?)

U18 coach looks back at Youth Cup triumph at Fulham

Reading Under-18 head coach David Dodds was full of praise for the manner in which the Academy youngsters booked their place in the fifth round of the FA Youth Cup – demonstrating ability on the ball, and mixing it with mental fortitude to come from behind against Fulham.

It might have been a different story – Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson struck early for the hosts, but Luke Southwood saved a Dennis Adeniran penalty before the ten-minute mark to keep Fulham’s lead down to one.

That set the platform for a fight-back, which came late in the second half as Reading wrapped up a win on another eventful evening.

“Crucial things happened at crucial times,” said Dodds. “Fulham started the game off really strongly and caught us a bit unawares with some of their tactical stuff, which was good from their point of view. They went 1-0 up, and the crucial thing was Luke saving the penalty, which was fantastic and kept us in the game.

“That gave us a bit of strength, and then we got our wits together and we got a foothold in the game before half-time. We tweaked a couple of things at half-time in our shape – just winning the first ball because we were a bit deep in the first half and we became a little bit more advanced and started turning them around.

“And then we played – we trusted each other. In the first 20 minutes, we were maybe a bit nervous and didn’t pass the ball like we can. In the second half we did – we cut them open at times. It was a really pleasing performance with lots and lots of character and spirit, but also skill.

“This group have really pleasantly surprised us this year. They’ve got a lot of character and they’ve also got a lot of skill. A lot of them have got a chance of playing football for a living, which is a nice thing.

“The Youth Cup is great, but at the end of the day you think back over the years and which players are now making a living out of the game. That’s what we’re looking at, and I thought they showed everything required to try and do that.”

The Royals finally got back on terms with 15 minutes to go – it was a bold run from Daniel Akinwunmi, latching on to a flick-on down the right, that allowed the full-back to pick out Tyler Frost in the middle to hammer in the equaliser.

Reading could have gone ahead from the spot – Fulham goalie Taye Ashby-Hammond saw red for a foul on Sam Smith, but Josh Barrett miscued his penalty. However Ryan East soon stabbed in for the Royals, and when the hosts went all-out to try and force extra-time, Smith took full advantage and tucked in the third.

Dodds continued: “People might not realise that Daniel Akinwunmi was actually at Fulham and didn’t quite make his scholarship – he came to us and has done very well. The same goes for Omar Richards, who didn’t get a place at Fulham and he has come down to our place and done really well.

“When those balls flash across the area, and people don’t quite get on the end, you start to think, ‘is it one of those nights?’ But credit to the boys – they kept doing the right things and creating more chances, and eventually we got the reward.

“We played Fulham a couple of years ago in the Youth Cup semi-final at our place and they had a bloke sent off – and at their place, we had a chap sent off. Both harsh decisions – it’s always difficult when you go down to ten, because you’re not sure whether to go for it completely.

“Fulham left themselves over, and we created more chances – that’s another good sign. We were quite ruthless and we made the most of a lack of a player for them.”

Now the boys face a wait to see where their next stop will be on their FA Cup adventure. Met Police host Wolves on Friday, with the winning team due to welcome Reading in round five.

“I said to the boys after the game, ‘sometimes when you look at that, you’re a minute from being knocked out by Sheffield United, and we could have been out of it after 20 minutes against Fulham – and you’ve found a way to play and shown resilience to win a game of football,’” said Dodds. “Sometimes it’s written in the stars; it’s fate. Hopefully that’s the case for us.

“You try really hard not to look too far ahead, because I think that’s dangerous. Now we’ll go and watch to see how they set up, and we’ll take it from there. We’ll get another game-plan ready and go from there.

“As we’ve said on several occasions, it’s like playing your first-team debut. There is a lot of hype about it and family, first-team staff and directors are here. There is a pressure, and I think if they’re watching that they will think that the lads from the Academy did well and that there’s a good future for the club.”

Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... ciGyTY0.99

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 19 Jan 2016 13:14

I was pleasantly surprised when I found out we had won 3-1. I went out at half time when we were 1-0 down and lucky not to be losing by 2 or 3 so I figured I'd come back and find they stuffed us but in the end a fantastic comeback by the U18s.

The Cube

by The Cube » 19 Jan 2016 23:46

FA Youth cup quarter-final draw at the time it was made. I can't help thinking that the FA could have waited a bit longer.

1 AFC Wimbledon or Manchester United or Chelsea v Wolverhampton Wanderers or Metropolitan Police or Fulham or Reading

2 Aston Villa or Blackburn Rovers v Preston North End or Oldham Athletic or Luton Town

3 Wigan Athletic or Derby County or Manchester City v Middlesbrough or Norwich City

4 Coventry City or Charlton Athletic or Swansea City or Arsenal v Nottingham Forest or Birmingham City or Liverpool or Cardiff City

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jan 2016 09:26

The Cube FA Youth cup quarter-final draw at the time it was made. I can't help thinking that the FA could have waited a bit longer.

1 AFC Wimbledon or Manchester United or Chelsea v Wolverhampton Wanderers or Metropolitan Police or Fulham or Reading

2 Aston Villa or Blackburn Rovers v Preston North End or Oldham Athletic or Luton Town

3 Wigan Athletic or Derby County or Manchester City v Middlesbrough or Norwich City

4 Coventry City or Charlton Athletic or Swansea City or Arsenal v Nottingham Forest or Birmingham City or Liverpool or Cardiff City

Why don't they just make one draw, for the final itself, and have done with it all?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jan 2016 19:03

Presumably they do the draw like that to assist with forward planning.
We were able to check out all 6 of the venues we could end up playing at, make provisional transport arrangements and decide how likely it will be we'll need to find the set of third choice shirts we've not used so far this season

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 21 Jan 2016 01:18

Looking at the highlights of the Fulham win, it looked like a very soft red card, to me it didn't even look like he fouled our player.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 22 Jan 2016 17:34

tidus_mi2 Looking at the highlights of the Fulham win, it looked like a very soft red card, to me it didn't even look like he fouled our player.

Now available on general view http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... 01-22_1709 very harsh red card. We will know later this evening who we meet in next round as Wolves entertain the Met police tonight.

7574 posts