Chris Gunter

214 posts
kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Chris Gunter

by kwik-silva » 16 Sep 2013 15:30

Same thing happened and luckily the guy behind him was offside. That's definitely the area of his game to improve based on yesterday.

Magic Hat

by Magic Hat » 16 Sep 2013 16:36

I agree, but that is partly down to him playing so far forward.

littlejohnnyoster

by littlejohnnyoster » 16 Sep 2013 17:03

did well sat. Improving all the time and a great athlete. He just clearly doesn't feel comfortable taking the ball from McCarthy, not unlike many of our players who look confused with the ball. Give him time like the rest of this team jeezuz

Cypry

by Cypry » 16 Sep 2013 17:16

I think there are a lot of people who simply don't understand the system that Adkins is trying to introduce.....heard a woman on BBCRB yesterday whining on about "why did we start the game playing 4-4-2 with no wingers" FFS...

If you've watched how we're playing, the full backs are there to give us the width (Adkins has even spoken about playing our "wide men" such as Jobi, Drenthe etc on the "wrong side" to encourage them to come narrower and leave space for the full backs outside. As soon as we have possession, the full backs are relieved of defensive duties and push on up the wings. The centre backs split, and the defensive midfield drops deeper between them. Morrison covering for a ball over the top is exactly what he's supposed to do.

Earlier on in pre-season and the league we had an issue, mainly with the midfield not dropping deep enough leaving a massive hole between the centre backs - the Bristol City game was a classic example of this. We seem to have fixed this to an extent, but we still get caught occasionally with bad organisation in that defensive midfield area (it is improving though).

In pushing up the wing, Gunter is doing exactly what he is supposed to do - Bridge executed it pretty much perfectly yesterday, and got some excellent crosses in. If I have one frustration with Gunter I wish he'd back himself to beat the oppositions full back more often, something Bridge did really well. I suspect that it is Gunters athletic ability which means he's preferred over Kelly, who will probably struggle for pace in that system...

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 16 Sep 2013 17:20

Gunter and Karacan are the long distance runners of the team.
I would be astonished if anyone Reading player has travelled further per 90 mins in a game this season.

Obviously, running around is no good in itself.
But more often than not, it's Gunter who's clearing the ball of the line. Only to then be overlapping on the wing 1 minutes later.
And we've seen Karacan's stamina produce results this season. Finishing off the team move with a goal against Watford, for instance.

When you've got unfit players (Drenthe) or lazy twats (Pog) on the pitch then you need a few players with super stamina.
Especially on Sunday when you've got 10 men.

All this would be valid under a standard tactic.
But it's especially valid under Adkins' tactic, which is all about team transition as opposed to a strict defence/offence divide.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Sep 2013 17:27

You can play the it's part of Adkins system card if you like but it was the same in the Wales game mid week with each goal coming down his side, although I won't blame him for the Kolarov screamer.

Kerr, Murty, Shorey, Armstrong and Bertrand were all fairly attacking full backs but managed to do their defensive duties far better than Gunter.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 16 Sep 2013 17:28

Cypry I think there are a lot of people who simply don't understand the system that Adkins is trying to introduce.....heard a woman on BBCRB yesterday whining on about "why did we start the game playing 4-4-2 with no wingers" FFS...

If you've watched how we're playing, the full backs are there to give us the width (Adkins has even spoken about playing our "wide men" such as Jobi, Drenthe etc on the "wrong side" to encourage them to come narrower and leave space for the full backs outside. As soon as we have possession, the full backs are relieved of defensive duties and push on up the wings. The centre backs split, and the defensive midfield drops deeper between them. Morrison covering for a ball over the top is exactly what he's supposed to do.

Earlier on in pre-season and the league we had an issue, mainly with the midfield not dropping deep enough leaving a massive hole between the centre backs - the Bristol City game was a classic example of this. We seem to have fixed this to an extent, but we still get caught occasionally with bad organisation in that defensive midfield area (it is improving though).

In pushing up the wing, Gunter is doing exactly what he is supposed to do - Bridge executed it pretty much perfectly yesterday, and got some excellent crosses in. If I have one frustration with Gunter I wish he'd back himself to beat the oppositions full back more often, something Bridge did really well. I suspect that it is Gunters athletic ability which means he's preferred over Kelly, who will probably struggle for pace in that system...

Nice summary. A friend of mine is an ex pro who is now an agent. I asked him about Gunter when we signed him and he simply said great athlete but a limited footballer. Pretty much spot on from what I've seen so far. He suits Adkins split CB / full backs = wing backs style perfectly as an athlete but he struggles with the ball. Plus, when he does get one on one with the oppo's FB he either passes backwards or crosses from too high up the pitch. He actually went on the outside once yesterday and put in a great cross so let's hope that builds a bit of confidence. Lastly, he and Morro need to build a better understanding because we are getting done in that channel between the two on a regular basis. Hopefully that will improve with time but I expect Gunter is here to stay in the current system which is probaly correct given what Kelly offers in the same type of role.

Cypry

by Cypry » 16 Sep 2013 17:32

sandman You can play the it's part of Adkins system card if you like but it was the same in the Wales game mid week with each goal coming down his side, although I won't blame him for the Kolarov screamer.

Kerr, Murty, Shorey, Armstrong and Bertrand were all fairly attacking full backs but managed to do their defensive duties far better than Gunter.

Yes, but unfortunately none of them are an option for us at right back at the moment - given a choice between Gunter and Kelly in the current system, I think Gunter has the edge....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Sep 2013 17:36

Well obviously but they are perfect examples of how a full back can be attacking yet not be suspect position wise.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Sep 2013 18:50

sandman Well obviously but they are perfect examples of how a full back can be attacking yet not be suspect position wise.

+1

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 16 Sep 2013 18:52

WAZZOCK Gunter has been one of our better players this season, noncesense OP

:lol: ----- :D ----- :P ----- :? ----- :| ----- :shock: ----- :cry:

You have to be joking

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 16 Sep 2013 19:25

Gunter does hoof the ball alot.............oh!.......and Drenthe thinks he's better than he actually is.

HTH

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 16 Sep 2013 19:35

kwik-silva I'm pretty sure most of the chances Brighton created today came down our left...

only in the first half ... til Kelly got subbed

interestedobserver

by interestedobserver » 16 Sep 2013 21:12

Cypry I think there are a lot of people who simply don't understand the system that Adkins is trying to introduce.....heard a woman on BBCRB yesterday whining on about "why did we start the game playing 4-4-2 with no wingers" FFS...

thanks for this Cypry. Smartest thing I've read on here for a long time.

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 16 Sep 2013 22:58

I don't understand all this Gunter meltdown my main concern is who is actually going to put the ball in the net the back four have done well keeping two clean sheets, had we got 3 pts. Sunday none of this frenzy would exist the problem is not Gunter or any of the back four it is the other end of the pitch where the main problem exits we simply do not have a striker that can put the ball in the net watch the game again and you will see Bridge put 8 perfect balls in good areas , Gunter put 5 in which Alf was just a fraction short of connecting with one of them may be if he was two inches taller he might have got it, so the argument about crossing at this moment in time is void.
I do fear when we play the likes of Qpr, Forest, Etc. and I do fear for us against leeds

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 16 Sep 2013 23:04

sandman Well obviously but they are perfect examples of how a full back can be attacking yet not be suspect position wise.

I don't think you are the sharpest instrument in the mechanics of how football works are you ? perhaps less typing and more reading would be of some benefit
to you

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 17 Sep 2013 09:12

We are missing Roberts, and have for some time...............

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 17 Sep 2013 09:12

...............or a striker of similar pedigree.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Sep 2013 10:17

But full-backs still have to defend as there is no sweeper behind the two centre-backs.
Gunter was bought as a package with McCleary and at Forest they had an excellent way of playing together ,one goes ,the other drops, very much in the way that in his early days at Saints (pre-Adkins)Bale did the same with Surman.
For whatever reason Gunter and McCleary have rarely played together for us.
Anyway Gunter is a terrible defender and Kelly is a good defender so what do people want from full-backs?

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 17 Sep 2013 10:36

Victor Meldrew

But full-backs still have to defend as there is no sweeper behind the two centre-backs.
Gunter was bought as a package with McCleary and at Forest they had an excellent way of playing together ,one goes ,the other drops, very much in the way that in his early days at Saints (pre-Adkins)Bale did the same with Surman.
For whatever reason Gunter and McCleary have rarely played together for us.
Anyway Gunter is a terrible defender and Kelly is a good defender so what do people want from full-backs?

His positional sense may need working on but 'terrible defender' now lets not say things for the sake of saying things.
If he was adkins wouldn't play him and brian would not of brought him.
In the right system he can be an asset

214 posts