Flat reading fans!

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

Re: Flat reading fans!

by southbank1871 » 30 Sep 2013 17:01

Yep, on the whole it has to be an important game, ideally of an evening and a sell-out.

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 30 Sep 2013 19:11

There was another rendition of 'bla bla's a shithole, I want to go home' on Saturday. So so boring. Why do away fans consistently sing it? It coming from Birmingham was just hilarious, the walk from New Street to St Andrews is absolutely hideous.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 30 Sep 2013 20:44

To be honest, what do the away fans see? A building site of a train station, a bus station that looks like a scene from a horror film and a stadium with little atmosphere. We're not the best "Away experience" all round.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 30 Sep 2013 20:55

Thought we Came out high in many areas of last years prem away experience questionaires/comparisons tbf

Reading Aloud

by Reading Aloud » 30 Sep 2013 21:28

Singing from away fans is often better than from home fans - it's a sort of tribal thing when you travel away. 'Bill Oddie' sounds great when it's sang at other grounds, but at The Mad Stad it just doesn't have the same effect. I think the problem is that it's not a song that most Reading fans would join in on. And that's the difference between us and many other fans - we just don't have any of our 'own' chants. Recently we've had Leeds and Birmingham visit us and they each have songs that you associate with THEM. And of course last season we hosted teams from The Prem, many of whom also have their own songs.

Like others have said, it doesn't particularly bother me what other fans think about us, but sometimes it would be nice to sing your heart out to 'our tune' (Simon Bates step forward). Hopefully one day a song or chant will come along that we will adopt and from then on, shall always be associated with Reading Football Club. URZZZZ

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Sep 2013 22:12

blythspartan I will probably get banned from HNA for this but here goes.

How about at random times in the games at the Mad Stad, as many of us as possible sing " Nellie the Elephant".

Heard this blasted out many years a go at the Reading Rock Festival (I think it was by Slade).

A real random song that we could have some fun with.

In

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Sep 2013 22:14

Maguire If you want an atmosphere then go to an away game. Reading will never again be consistenly loud at home so forget it. Just enjoy those rare moments [Wigan in the p/o semi-final] when everyone forgets themselves and goes absolutely batshit mental.

Corrected for you.

I miss my Southbank.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 30 Sep 2013 22:19

I'm here for you m8.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Sep 2013 22:46

Anyone worried about us "plastics" being quiet ought to have watched the Everton match tonight. Entertaining game and the atmosphere was as flat as a pancake.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 01 Oct 2013 06:42

genome Anyone worried about us "plastics" being quiet ought to have watched the Everton match tonight. Entertaining game and the atmosphere was as flat as a pancake.

I was going to say that, in fact I will anyway ...

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 01 Oct 2013 06:46

We are always critical of the atmosphere at home but it's really not that bad.

Comparing it to everyone else what's the difference? 95% of the time it's not that great but not is anyone else's, what clubs have an electric atmosphere week in week out, in UK I mean.

If I had any complaints of the atmosphere it would be this:

Less songs about the opposition being bad at football and coming from a rubbish place
And more positive ones about Reading

If any other team had the 106 record they would sing about it all the time.

One thing which was great about Birmingham game was the Nigel Adkins barmy song. It went on for more than 3 seconds, was supportive of him which I think he's earned.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 01 Oct 2013 07:45

You can go on any football fan site in the country Liverpool, Manchester United, Leeds- whatever and find supporters bemoaning their home atmosphere and wishing every game could feel like an away one.

The reasons given are always the same, all seater stadiums, middle class fans, sky, day trippers at the top clubs.

I don't think we should beat ourselves up over the consequences of demographic change. A greater mix of fans in the crowd is not going to behave in the same way as one made up predominantly of younger men. This is probably a good thing.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 01 Oct 2013 10:54

The 'atmosphere' will build as the season progresses and there's more to play for. But to be fair, the play dictates how the crowd is...and whilst results are there, the flair isn't firing on all cylinders just yet. Yes, yes, I know, the less plastic won't realise this, but we should be cheering the boys on, yada, yada...but that's not how it works these days.

Being in Y23, I cringe at what comes out of Y25/26...it's pretty pathetic "fit the words into the same song structure", but I wouldn't or couldn't do any better. We will get 'outsung' by almost all visiting clubs, but thankfully there's no points at stake for that, so I'll live with it.

On the other hand, I couldn't understand a word of whatever Birmingham were 'singing'.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Oct 2013 16:23

southbank1871
One8Seven1 We can be a lot louder and a lot more consistent, but our reluctance to adopt a number of chants used by many other clubs is a little annoying (for some reason we think we're better than that, yet we pay the price for being a lot quieter as a result...)

This is nonsense surely, pretty much every Reading chant is unoriginal (likewise 99% of every football chant).

apart from:
we're reading we're reading, we'll kick your f*ckin head in-stolen by yeading
bill oddie
and extra lines inserted into other songs about stabbing swindon

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Oct 2013 16:25

bobby1413
If any other team had the 106 record they would sing about it all the time.

plus most of the players had a song of their own at that point- hardly any do now

as for the nigel adkins song- just think it would be better if he could have his own one, as i still feel like i'm cheating on brian

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 01 Oct 2013 17:20

Adkins Adkins, he's our man
Please excuse the perma-tan

bright orange scouser
he's just a bright orange scouser
bright orange scoouuuuseeeerrr
he's just a bright orange scouser.

There's a reason I don't tend to get involved in these things.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 01 Oct 2013 17:43

Agent Balti On the other hand, I couldn't understand a word of whatever Birmingham were 'singing'.

They were quite melodic though.

What it boils down to is that (for the most part) mum and dad don't take 7 year olds to away games. That's why an away crowd is loud and the West stand is like a funeral. I've taken to sitting in the north recently, and make a bit of noise once it gets going, but had some gorilla's nipper sat next to me against Brum, and it just doesn't feel right to get up and loud with a kid there.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 01 Oct 2013 20:05

Watching the Celtic match on the box. Blimey, what a racket they make. Can't we borrow them? Even if it's for just one game.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 01 Oct 2013 20:07

The Cap Watching the Celtic match on the box. Blimey, what a racket they make. Can't we borrow them? Even if it's for just one game.

What a racket they make for the big games, like Reading, like everyone else.. Their ground is half empty every other game, and usually pretty quiet.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 01 Oct 2013 20:12

I just enjoy the idea of singing the beginning of this over and over again.