Where are they now?

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Where are they now?

by Sanguine » 30 Sep 2013 17:16

Was scouring old squad lists for not much reason the other day, and came across Jamie Young - I remember he was going to be our 'next first choice keeper' at one point, but injury did for him, and he left for Rushden and Diamonds.

Ended up playing three seasons as Aldershot's number one, but can't see where he is now. Anyone know?

And another interesting* one - Scott Murray, who was essentially the best midfielder in the lower leagues until we signed him followed the route of many pros on retirement and works for a former club. Except at Bristol City he is now kitman. :|

*not

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Where are they now?

by Franchise FC » 30 Sep 2013 17:24

Sanguine Was scouring old squad lists for not much reason the other day, and came across Jamie Young - I remember he was going to be our 'next first choice keeper' at one point, but injury did for him, and he left for Rushden and Diamonds.

Ended up playing three seasons as Aldershot's number one, but can't see where he is now. Anyone know?

And another interesting* one - Scott Murray, who was essentially the best midfielder in the lower leagues until we signed him followed the route of many pros on retirement and works for a former club. Except at Bristol City he is now kitman. :|

*not

Google is your friend

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 30 Sep 2013 17:33

Franchise FC
Sanguine Was scouring old squad lists for not much reason the other day, and came across Jamie Young - I remember he was going to be our 'next first choice keeper' at one point, but injury did for him, and he left for Rushden and Diamonds.

*not

Google is your friend

As is general football.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Sep 2013 18:31

Wasn't Jamie Young at Wycombe, along with Dean Morgan ?

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 30 Sep 2013 20:04

Nameless Wasn't Jamie Young at Wycombe, along with Dean Morgan ?

Surprised to learn form latest Rothmans/Sky yearbook that Dean Morgan has made 338 career apps for various clubs, and currently at Wycombe.

Same source lists Jamie Young as still at Aldershot, although in Conf now (or whatever it's called).

King van der Kwaak

by King van der Kwaak » 30 Sep 2013 21:31

Jamie Young is now at Basingstoke, managed by another former Royal, Jason Bristow.

A current Royal, Matt Partridge, has also joined them, on loan.

I think Basingstoke must have the most ex-Royals in their ranks over the last 20 years or so.

http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/spo ... ir_league/

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 01 Oct 2013 00:31

*not

I remember a wonder save he pulled off against Palace, he may even have come on as a sub in that game, the old memory is failing these days

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Oct 2013 08:01

I'm pretty sure that save was in his only appearance for the club, coming off the bench against Stoke. It got lots of fans excited that we had a quality young keeper coming through, but the reality was he was never going to be good enough and was miles behind Ashdown in terms of quality.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 01 Oct 2013 10:01

strap
Nameless Wasn't Jamie Young at Wycombe, along with Dean Morgan ?

Surprised to learn form latest Rothmans/Sky yearbook that Dean Morgan has made 338 career apps for various clubs, and currently at Wycombe.

Same source lists Jamie Young as still at Aldershot, although in Conf now (or whatever it's called).

I believe that Morgan has made 338 league appearances but for 338 different clubs!

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 01 Oct 2013 10:14

Hoop Blah I'm pretty sure that save was in his only appearance for the club, coming off the bench against Stoke. It got lots of fans excited that we had a quality young keeper coming through, but the reality was he was never going to be good enough and was miles behind Ashdown in terms of quality.

Didn't USA injure his arm or shoulder or something in that game which is why he came off?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 01 Oct 2013 10:39

Brum Royal
Hoop Blah I'm pretty sure that save was in his only appearance for the club, coming off the bench against Stoke. It got lots of fans excited that we had a quality young keeper coming through, but the reality was he was never going to be good enough and was miles behind Ashdown in terms of quality.

Didn't USA injure his arm or shoulder or something in that game which is why he came off?

That's right and HB correct to say it was against Stoke. IIRC it was an otherwise drab 0-0 affair.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 01 Oct 2013 12:20

Jamie Ashdown - just looking at his stats and in the 9 years since he left Reading he has averaged 12 games a season..

Now 33 and second choice at Leeds..

What a waste..

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Oct 2013 12:45

King van der Kwaak Jamie Young is now at Basingstoke, managed by another former Royal, Jason Bristow.

A current Royal, Matt Partridge, has also joined them, on loan.

I think Basingstoke must have the most ex-Royals in their ranks over the last 20 years or so.

http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/spo ... ir_league/

Ta. Exactly why I posted this thread, FFC and Yately. I googled it but hit a dead head after his last appearance for Aldershot last season.

And agreed on Ashdown, utter waste of a career. How/why he never established himself at a club I don't know.

wally bassoon

by wally bassoon » 01 Oct 2013 13:04

Did not another bright goalkeeping prospect, Shaun Allaway end up at B'Stoke?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Oct 2013 13:17

wally bassoon Did not another bright goalkeeping prospect, Shaun Allaway end up at B'Stoke?

Had forgotten him! £2m transfer to Leeds, he's toured non-league - Staines, Slough and Abingdon.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 01 Oct 2013 13:43

Cape Town Royal Jamie Ashdown - just looking at his stats and in the 9 years since he left Reading he has averaged 12 games a season..

Now 33 and second choice at Leeds..

What a waste..

Still has time..........must have plenty of energy left. :wink: Many goalies play into their forties.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 01 Oct 2013 15:03

Sanguine
wally bassoon Did not another bright goalkeeping prospect, Shaun Allaway end up at B'Stoke?

Had forgotten him! £2m transfer to Leeds, he's toured non-league - Staines, Slough and Abingdon.

£2m IF he played for England. I think we got £250,000 up front and oxf*rd all else because the rest was appearance related. By all accounts, moving to a then Premiership club went to his head and he turned into a massive bellend.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Oct 2013 15:04

Hammond out!

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1