RFC games that have been abandoned

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RFC games that have been abandoned

by floyd__streete » 01 Nov 2013 12:50

The Leicester game prompted possibly the strangest ever call into a radio phone-in (yes, that is saying something jsn't it).

A Leicester fan called up Radio Berks to complain that RFC had sold him a burger at half time "in good faith" knowing that the game was going to be abandoned :| . What, so the burger becomes invalid if purchased at a game which is abandoned :?: You'd love to think he was on the wind-up, but he was so self-righteous during the rest of his call that I don't think he was capable of grasping irony.

Consequently, I have disliked Leicester ever since. Terrible, nasally accents. What about Leicester women? Very good card players, but I wouldn't give them the time of day.....
Last edited by floyd__streete on 01 Nov 2013 12:51, edited 1 time in total.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Nov 2013 12:50

From Despair To Where?
TBM LOL @ when Spacey went all the way to Bournemouth only to find it had been postponed.......thing is, people were trying to call him to tell him it was off, but..........well you know ;)

Was that the season they were playing at Dorchester for a few months?

Na, it was when their stadium was called the Fitness First Stadium

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 01 Nov 2013 13:26

floyd__streete The Leicester game prompted possibly the strangest ever call into a radio phone-in (yes, that is saying something jsn't it).

A Leicester fan called up Radio Berks to complain that RFC had sold him a burger at half time "in good faith" knowing that the game was going to be abandoned :| . What, so the burger becomes invalid if purchased at a game which is abandoned :?: You'd love to think he was on the wind-up, but he was so self-righteous during the rest of his call that I don't think he was capable of grasping irony.

Consequently, I have disliked Leicester ever since. Terrible, nasally accents. What about Leicester women? Very good card players, but I wouldn't give them the time of day.....

Genuine LOL :lol: :lol:

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 01 Nov 2013 13:46

Was on route to Brighton for an evening kick off only to be told it had been called off with the train 15 minutes from the ground. Think it was the year both teams got promoted in 2002. Went to the rescheduled game much later in the year on a freezing Tuesday night, it absolutely pissed it down (not great if you're in that temporary stand at the Withdean!) and we got torn apart by Zamora and Brooker. IIRC it was the only loss we had between Christmas and getting promoted - although admittedly it seemed like almost all of them were draws!

fruits

by fruits » 01 Nov 2013 14:14

I remember a game on Boxing Day 1962 against Bristol Rovers, the pitch at Elm Park was covered in snow but the ref, Ken Aston ,let the game start. Reading had a half time lead 1-0, it began to snow during half time and the ref abandoned the game after 60 minutes with us still leading 1-0. That meant no refunds were made and that the game would have to be played later. RFC probably needed the money as there was no football until the end of February, the first game we played was at home to Brighton on the 23rd February 1963 I think we took the lead four times and lost 4-5. Typical Reading,Brighton ended up being relegated to Divi 4. RFC was almost relegated we finally played Bristol Rovers at home and won 1-0, on the 8th May which was just as well as although we won our next game against Halifax away we then lost our last two games against Barnsley and Bristol City to stay up only on goal difference. The season finally ended on May 18th.

The winter of 1962–1963 (also known as the Big Freeze of 1963) was one of the coldest winters on record in the United Kingdom.[1] Temperatures plummeted and lakes and rivers began to freeze over. In the Central England Temperature (CET) record, extending back to 1659, only the winter (defined as the months of December, January and February) of 1683–84 has been significantly colder, with 1739–40 being slightly colder than 1962–63.

Unfortunately I do not know any results from the years 1659, 1683-4 or 1739-40.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 01 Nov 2013 14:26

Good thread. Bury the only one I recall.

I was due to go to Luton (?) on boxing day once, circa 1998? Turned up at the coach on Liebonrood Road and they'd just called it off. Went home again CSB.

Fair fooks to all at Kenilworth Road for making the call early though.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 01 Nov 2013 14:59

fruits I remember a game on Boxing Day 1962 against Bristol Rovers, the pitch at Elm Park was covered in snow but the ref, Ken Aston ,let the game start. Reading had a half time lead 1-0, it began to snow during half time and the ref abandoned the game after 60 minutes with us still leading 1-0. That meant no refunds were made and that the game would have to be played later. RFC probably needed the money as there was no football until the end of February, the first game we played was at home to Brighton on the 23rd February 1963 I think we took the lead four times and lost 4-5. Typical Reading,Brighton ended up being relegated to Divi 4. RFC was almost relegated we finally played Bristol Rovers at home and won 1-0, on the 8th May which was just as well as although we won our next game against Halifax away we then lost our last two games against Barnsley and Bristol City to stay up only on goal difference. The season finally ended on May 18th.

The winter of 1962–1963 (also known as the Big Freeze of 1963) was one of the coldest winters on record in the United Kingdom.[1] Temperatures plummeted and lakes and rivers began to freeze over. In the Central England Temperature (CET) record, extending back to 1659, only the winter (defined as the months of December, January and February) of 1683–84 has been significantly colder, with 1739–40 being slightly colder than 1962–63.

I remember my Gran blaming the yanks and their Atom bombs for the cold weather that year :lol: .

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 01 Nov 2013 15:22

fruits I remember a game on Boxing Day 1962 against Bristol Rovers, the pitch at Elm Park was covered in snow but the ref, Ken Aston ,let the game start. Reading had a half time lead 1-0, it began to snow during half time and the ref abandoned the game after 60 minutes with us still leading 1-0. That meant no refunds were made and that the game would have to be played later. RFC probably needed the money as there was no football until the end of February, the first game we played was at home to Brighton on the 23rd February 1963 I think we took the lead four times and lost 4-5. Typical Reading,Brighton ended up being relegated to Divi 4. RFC was almost relegated we finally played Bristol Rovers at home and won 1-0, on the 8th May which was just as well as although we won our next game against Halifax away we then lost our last two games against Barnsley and Bristol City to stay up only on goal difference. The season finally ended on May 18th.

It was goal average.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 01 Nov 2013 15:24

clogger Torquay at home early 70's fog came down about 10 mins to go

Didn't think it was that near the end. We were 3-0 up and when the rearranged game took place we won 3-0. Lesson there for Bury.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Nov 2013 15:27

Went to Rotherham in the 80's and when we arrived at the ground the pitch was under water - literally.

They could have called it off hours before :roll:

We were allowed access to the indoor facility and watched the RFC boys play a bit of 5-a-side.

hobnob
Site Admin

by hobnob » 01 Nov 2013 15:43

Sheffield United away in 2002. We parked up and only found out the game was off when walking to the ground and everyone was walking the other direction...

Ended up watching Rotherham instead.

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/161102.html

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Nov 2013 16:24

Hi hobnob :!:

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Nov 2013 17:10

Seem to recall a trip to Brizzle Rovers being called quite late in the early 90s I think - was when they were playing at Bath.

Didn't we have a game v Torquay abandoned at half time Or something in the 60s or 70s at Elm Park

Turnball ACs

by Turnball ACs » 01 Nov 2013 20:15

Yes, Bristol Rovers away on boxing day or a few days after Xmas 1993. We were on the way in a minibus when we heard it was called off. Ended up in the Happy Prospect playing cards instead.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 01 Nov 2013 21:34

clogger Torquay at home early 70's fog came down about 10 mins to go

Yes, I remember that one. Think we were 3-0 up at the time. That was back in the days when they used to open the gates at Elm Park 20 minutes from the end so you could get in for free.

As well as the other ones Bury, Leicester etc. - QPR away sometime this century was another one. From the pub to the ground got absolutely soaked. Right through. Called off as soon as we'd got in the ground.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 02 Nov 2013 12:02

hobnob Sheffield United away in 2002. We parked up and only found out the game was off when walking to the ground and everyone was walking the other direction...

Ended up watching Rotherham instead.

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/161102.html

Me too, it was a shit drive up and they dithered for an hour or so before calling it off. It was quite an experience going into the home end at Rotherham, iirc they were playing Burnley and still doing that weird ball wiping thing for throw ins.