'Hoofball'

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

'Hoofball'

by urz13 » 02 Jan 2014 00:22

Does anyone else share the opinion that, at present, we are playing a style of football that can be described only as hoofball? All we do is pass to Guthrie, who passes back to the defence, and they either whack it upfield, chip it upfield or pass it back to McCarthy to thump it upfield.

Cummings and Pearce are the prime suspects in this - Cummings doesn't seem to be able to see more than 5m ahead of him as every single ball he plays forward is a dreadful chip which either goes out for a goal kick, throw in, or is collected by the 'keeper. Pearce at least tries to aim his balls forward, but they are equally terrible and give Pogrebynak no chance most of the time.

Adkins was supposed to bring a smooth, passing style - after almost 10 months there is NO SIGN of this whatsoever, we haven't improved WHATSOEVER, and if anything we've declined. This is why I, personally, think it's time for him to go.

The football under McDermott was branded hoofball too - yet, in the championship at least, we actually played a very effective, exciting and attractive style which revolved around distributing the ball quickly to the wingers and the midfield and strikers bursting to get into the box. I'd wager we play far more long balls under Adkins (especially the last 10 games) than we did under McDermott in the championship. Whilst that was ineffective in the Premiership (largely down to lack of good players, so those that we had panicked and hoofed it), our current style would be even more useless and would fail miserably. The way we play currently is incredibly dull, ineffective, slow and far worse than what we saw under McDermott.

This isn't meant to be another McDermott vs Adkins thread, but it will be interesting to hear opinions on our 'style' of play.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

Re: 'Hoofball'

by AirRaidSiren » 02 Jan 2014 00:25

:roll:

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 02 Jan 2014 00:38

AirRaidSiren :roll:

What a great response. Anyone could see that we played a ridiculous number of long balls today. Again.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 02 Jan 2014 00:47

urz13

What a great response. Anyone could see that we played a ridiculous number of long balls today. Again.

And anyone can see how we have the same repetitive shit posted after a loss.

Again, :roll:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 02 Jan 2014 00:54

Great thread. So to summarise what you're saying is Pearce and Cummings are sh1t so Adkins out.

:roll:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Jan 2014 01:05

AirRaidSiren
urz13

Hmmm. Might be something in it maybe?

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 02 Jan 2014 01:12

leon
AirRaidSiren
urz13 /quote]

Hmmm. Might be something in it maybe?

Might be something 'in' the fact we have one of the most nauseating, nonsensicle, whinging, negative, knee jerk reaction fans in the country?

Been a Reading fan over 30yrs and never known such a spoilt bunch of cunts as some of you on here.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 02 Jan 2014 01:41

AirRaidSiren
urz13

No, you're repetitive.
If you actually went to a match once in a while you might have more to contribute than "Our fans are so shit" blah, blah, blah...

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 02 Jan 2014 01:58

P!ssed Off
AirRaidSiren
urz13 What a great response. Anyone could see that we played a ridiculous number of long balls today. Again.

No, you're repetitive.
If you actually went to a match once in a while you might have more to contribute than "Our fans are so shit" blah, blah, blah...

Here we go again with the 'if you went to a match blah blah blah, you'd know'....

....and again, I have been and I 'don't know' waaaaaa waaaaaa waaaaaa...listen, son, go back to the late 90's-early 2000's when we were playing bloody awful, go back to some of the 90's, we were bloody awful. This is another part of our cycle when we're awful, we will pull through, march on and come back stronger. I've done my time of home and away matches and will get to what I can, when I can be arsed. So enough of your patronising 'if only you go to games' bullshit, you weren't even a follower when we were doing it 'the Reading way'.

Our fans are SHIT nowadays, compared to the days I was going at your age. You'll never know that fact, because you are twenty, TWENTY! :lol:

The F.A cup round is next, my fondest memory at home at the Mad stad was against Grays Athletic and they had only a corner in the entire game and celebrated the corner, we won pathetically 1-0, where were you? oh Mr-fucking know it all?

My kids are the next Reading FC breed, and they've been this season.

So oxf*rd off with your condescending TWENTY year old Bullshit.

Next!
Last edited by AirRaidSiren on 02 Jan 2014 02:13, edited 2 times in total.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 02 Jan 2014 02:10

Just a bit hypocritical to see you post "our fans are so shit and repetitive" for the 1000th time.
Change the record. As I say, if you went to the games you might be able to talk about that rather than merely focus about what people are posting on hobnob.
People actually at the games are saying it's shit. Maybe you should listen to them.

btw I was there for the end of the 90's and all throughout the early 00's so not sure what you're on about there.

condescending:
having or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority.
Mr "Our fans are so shit"/'we were better in my day'. Who are you to call people condescending?

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 02 Jan 2014 02:18

P!ssed Off Just a bit hypocritical to see you post "our fans are so shit and repetitive" for the 1000th time.
Change the record. As I say, if you went to the games you might be able to talk about that rather than merely focus about what people are posting on hobnob.
People actually at the games are saying it's shit. Maybe you should listen to them.

Obviously, you can't read properly.

I have been to games this season and not heard the remarks you're making out they make, BUT, I haven't been for a while.

I can't see or haven't seen such negativity as some of you make out. Are you in the same drama club as Floyd? Take your anger/bitterness out on the board or owners, not the manager or team.

Still, we as a club, have been through much much worse. Too much is expected nowadays.
Last edited by AirRaidSiren on 02 Jan 2014 02:22, edited 3 times in total.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 02 Jan 2014 02:19

To give you a serious response...

I don't think we play "hoofball" at all. I've seen Reading play hoofball and it's even worse than what we are seeing at the minute, of constant booting of the ball from defence up to their goal keeper.

Our play is lacking dynamism, creativity, flair and naturalism. At times it's awkward and nervy and lacks an end product.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 02 Jan 2014 02:21

P!ssed Off Just a bit hypocritical to see you post "our fans are so shit and repetitive" for the 1000th time.

btw I was there for the end of the 90's and all throughout the early 00's so not sure what you're on about there.

condescending:
having or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority.
Mr "Our fans are so shit"/'we were better in my day'. Who are you to call people condescending?

That it? Quoting me and correcting me on my wording, rather than the post I presented?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 02 Jan 2014 02:23

AirRaidSiren

I have been to games this season and not heard the remarks you're making out they make, BUT, I haven't been for a while.

I can't see or haven't seen such negativity as some of you make out. You in the same drama club as Floyd? Take your anger/bitterness out on the board or owners, nit the manager or team.

Still, we as a club, have been through much much worse. Too much is expected nowadays.

And yes we may well have been shit under Tommy Burns at the end of the 90's but we reached better, more successful days by sacking him.
So what does that tell you? :lol:

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 02 Jan 2014 02:27

P!ssed Off
AirRaidSiren

I can't see or haven't seen such negativity as some of you make out. You in the same drama club as Floyd? Take your anger/bitterness out on the board or owners, nit the manager or team.

And yes we may well have been shit under Tommy Burns at the end of the 90's but we reached better, more successful days by sacking him.

:lol: How would you know???

It tells me you've read it, rather than being around at the time.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 02 Jan 2014 02:32

AirRaidSiren
P!ssed Off
AirRaidSiren Obviously, you can't read properly.

Of course mate. And I learnt about Robin Friday from a book as well...
It's not like my family's been attending Reading games for 50+ years.
My first game was a few months after Burns was sacked. Is it really that far fetched that I might have been aware the previous manager had been sacked for being shit?

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 02 Jan 2014 02:36

P!ssed Off
AirRaidSiren
P!ssed Off

Of course mate. And I learnt about Robin Friday from a book as well...
My first game was a few months after Burns was sacked. Is it really that far fetched that I might have been aware the previous manager had been sacked for being shit?

But I don't keep harping on at you for not attending in the past. We're all here for the same reason. I've seriously done my time with putting RFC as my priority, they certainly aren't, nor is going to games as much as I used to. Last season was my first season where I couldn't be arsed. I do enjoy my kids shouting 'come on Reading' at games. It's a buzz. My eldest first game was Man U away, 2007…so don't trap off with your shitty 'oh you weren't there', it doesn't wash.

I like your posts, usually, but just because someone like me slags off the fans, there is no need to get high and mighty just cause some of us are saying it due to past experiences, even before you were around.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 02 Jan 2014 03:40

AirRaidSiren
P!ssed Off Of course mate. And I learnt about Robin Friday from a book as well...

But I don't keep harping on at you for not attending in the past. We're all here for the same reason. I've seriously done my time with putting RFC as my priority, they certainly aren't, nor is going to games as much as I used to. Last season was my first season where I couldn't be arsed. I do enjoy my kids shouting 'come on Reading' at games. It's a buzz. My eldest first game was Man U away, 2007…so don't trap off with your shitty 'oh you weren't there', it doesn't wash.

I like your posts, usually, but just because someone like me slags off the fans, don't need to get high and mighty cause some of us are saying it because of over past experiences.

Got myself in a bit of a muddle in regards to when my first game was. :lol:
It was at home against Notts County just after Christmas.
We played them 28th December 1998 and 28th December 1999, hence the confusion.

Anyway, my first game a streaker ran on the pitch so it was '98. http://thefootballknowledge.blogspot.co ... cored.html
Therefore I did attend Reading under Burns. Ha!

As to whether Reading fans were so much better in the 90's:
28th Dec. 1998 vs Notts County. Attendance: 13,026
28th Dec. 1999 vs Notts County. Attendance: 7,703

Where did all the amazing fans, that stuck with the team through thick and thin, go? Eh?

31st March 2001 vs Notts County. Attendance: 11,624 Oh look they're back again. :lol:
9th February 2002 vs Notts County. Attendance: 13,564 Oh look, even more have turned up.

Think you're reminiscing about your youth through rose tinted spectacles to be honest.
When the football on display is shit, many fans will either stay at home or go but complain about it. Always has been the case, always will be.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 02 Jan 2014 13:09

P!ssed Off
AirRaidSiren
P!ssed Off Of course mate. And I learnt about Robin Friday from a book as well...

I like your posts, usually, but just because someone like me slags off the fans, don't need to get high and mighty cause some of us are saying it because of over past experiences.

Got myself in a bit of a muddle in regards to when my first game was. :lol:
It was at home against Notts County just after Christmas.
We played them 28th December 1998 and 28th December 1999, hence the confusion.

Anyway, my first game a streaker ran on the pitch so it was '98. http://thefootballknowledge.blogspot.co ... cored.html
Therefore I did attend Reading under Burns. Ha!

As to whether Reading fans were so much better in the 90's:
28th Dec. 1998 vs Notts County. Attendance: 13,026
28th Dec. 1999 vs Notts County. Attendance: 7,703

Where did all the amazing fans, that stuck with the team through thick and thin, go? Eh?

31st March 2001 vs Notts County. Attendance: 11,624 Oh look they're back again. :lol:
9th February 2002 vs Notts County. Attendance: 13,564 Oh look, even more have turned up.

Think you're reminiscing about your youth through rose tinted spectacles to be honest.
When the football on display is shit, many fans will either stay at home or go but complain about it. Always has been the case, always will be.

Don't worry about it, me and my Dad also get confused what the first game he took me to. We not long come back from a 2yr stint in Hong Kong. I was five, so 79/80, he still thinks it was Southend, I thought it was Grimsby. Then again the second game he took me to could be vice versa :lol: before we moved abroad again for a few years.

As for attendances, it doesn't matter if it was 500 spectating or 11k..the atmosphere was so much better, even right up to the end of the Coppell era. The past few years our atmosphere has died off.......

I remember us all giving Neil Ruddock so much stick through a game, they(Swindon) scored their third and he come running over to us on East stand, almost causing a riot. I was 27 then, not so young. Nowadays a couple of chavs try take on the entire away end or a prawn sandwich thrown. But it's as dull as the shade of grey.

Are you saying the atmosphere the same now as it was in 98??? No chance.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 02 Jan 2014 13:18

urz13 Does anyone else share the opinion that, at present, we are playing a style of football that can be described only as hoofball? All we do is pass to Guthrie, who passes back to the defence, and they either whack it upfield, chip it upfield or pass it back to McCarthy to thump it upfield.

Cummings and Pearce are the prime suspects in this - Cummings doesn't seem to be able to see more than 5m ahead of him as every single ball he plays forward is a dreadful chip which either goes out for a goal kick, throw in, or is collected by the 'keeper. Pearce at least tries to aim his balls forward, but they are equally terrible and give Pogrebynak no chance most of the time.

Adkins was supposed to bring a smooth, passing style - after almost 10 months there is NO SIGN of this whatsoever, we haven't improved WHATSOEVER, and if anything we've declined. This is why I, personally, think it's time for him to go.

The football under McDermott was branded hoofball too - yet, in the championship at least, we actually played a very effective, exciting and attractive style which revolved around distributing the ball quickly to the wingers and the midfield and strikers bursting to get into the box. I'd wager we play far more long balls under Adkins (especially the last 10 games) than we did under McDermott in the championship. Whilst that was ineffective in the Premiership (largely down to lack of good players, so those that we had panicked and hoofed it), our current style would be even more useless and would fail miserably. The way we play currently is incredibly dull, ineffective, slow and far worse than what we saw under McDermott.

This isn't meant to be another McDermott vs Adkins thread, but it will be interesting to hear opinions on our 'style' of play.

Surely there will be statistics to back this up, is it free to view? If so, where?