Reading's Hard Men

Sport Economist

Re: Reading's Hard Men

by Sport Economist » 21 Jan 2014 06:08

Ricky Newman came on in a game against Norwich once where we had been bullied by Iwan Roberts and others and started putting a few choice tackles in - we still lost but the atmosphere changed and led to a change of fortunes on the pitch. Martin Allen coming in as assistant to Pardew led to a stiffening of resolve all round the pitch and Adie Williams was one who really knew how to stand up to a big striker in his second spell with the club - I remember him getting the best of Jason Roberts in a 2-0 win over Brizzle Rovers, laying to rest the memory of that legendary 6-0 reverse. While I mention it, Roberts was a real hard nut when playing against us too.

McDonough's book, Red Card Roy, has some good tales amid a lot of drinking and unrconstructed sexism. I don't recall seeing him play but probably must have done. I think today's rules make it harder for real hard men to survive.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Jan 2014 07:01

McDonough spent most of his career at Colchester and Southend. He might have played against us for Colchester when they knocked us out of the cup as a non league team in the early 90s. The bloke was an indiscriminate thug on the pitch and a bully off it. A thoroughly unpleasant man.

bcroyal

by bcroyal » 21 Jan 2014 09:13

Showing my age here, but Pat Terry could handle himself!

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 23 Jan 2014 19:56

So could Wayne W@nklyn apparently...