Sheff Weds - Back from the game

291 posts
Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sheff Weds - Back from the game

by Winchester Royal » 10 Feb 2014 09:11

Having watched the video thats on YouTube, it seems apparent that Pearce grabbed his shirt, and Afobe chose to go down rather than have a shot. Pearce had been struggling in the 10 minutes he was on the pitch, and I think it was clear that something like that was going to happen. Clever by Afobe as Gorkks was probably going to tidy up, but Pearce can hardly complain abut the penalty as he was quite clearly grabbing at the shirt and thats likely to be what the referee based his decision on.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Feb 2014 09:21

Nameless I've watched that over and over and it's impossible to make a decision based on the angle. You can guess, which I suspect is what the ref did. The linesman should have had an excellent angle but he didn't give a pen.

Gorkss gets to the ball just about as Afobe goes down, and it looks like the ball was always too far ahead of Afobe for him to have had a shot.

I agree that in he early stages of the tussle Afobe just used his strength, whereas from my live view I was sure he had fouled Pearce

It would be interesting to know if the ref thought the pen was for holding or a trip. The way Afobe goes down I suspect Pearce my have just clipped his heel although not intentionally. A trip is a trip though, whether you intend it or not.

Sat where I was in the East Stand I think I got a pretty good view of the incident and wasn't at all surprised when the ref gave a penalty (it is interesting though that the 'Assistant' on the East Stand side didn't flag for it and should have had an excellent view). From what I remember, Pearce appeared to stumble/lean into the back of Afobe and also get an arm across him. With hindsight there probably wasn't that much contact and full 'credit' to Afobe for managing to make it look so convincing that he had been fouled.

Although I can understand the ref giving the penalty I was completely shocked when he quickly brandished the red. I didn't think that it was a clear goal scoring opportunity for all the reasons others have pointed out. I don't think the ref, who was diabolical throughout and allowed himself to be exploited by both sets of players (Wednesday more than us) took enough time to consider whether it was a red card situation. I also think that he would have been wise to have had a quick word with his assistant before deciding to pull out the card. Had he done so, he would have taken some of the heat off himself because if two officials had deemed it a red card offence, it would be a lot more difficult to argue that they were wrong.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 10 Feb 2014 09:30

Walkley_Owl
Woodcote Royal My first game since September and, despite the result (not to mention being one of Adkins strongest critics) I left seriously impressed with both the team and its manager's performance on one of those inevitable days in the course of a long season when, sh*t happens.

As Pearce sloped off after seeing red, I said to my neighbour "That's Alf done for the afternoon"

Before Adkins saw the light and adopted the McDermott approach of getting the very best out of available resources whatever it takes, Le Fondre would have been sat next to Pearce within minutes. The fact the manager elected to retain our Championship player of the month in such adversity should give us all much hope for the rest of the season.

Playing a man short at this level for 80 minutes is a very tall order and, to state the blindingly obvious, something has to give. We needed at least one goal to get anything from the game and with just an ounce of luck here or there we would have succeeded. I thought our "10" covered the ground amazingly well right to the final whistle and the 2 strikers insured Wedneday always had something think about in defence. Meanwhile, the pace of Obita and McCleary at full back meant they could get forward from time to time to good effect and half way through the second half our heavily worked central midfield was swapped for fresh legs. Yes, this all made us more direct and, yes, some tired legs misplaced a few passes but as a means to play almost an entire match one man and one goal down, it was nothing short of impressive ..........................what do some of you want, blood :|

With 11 men on the pitch we would have wiped the floor with a simply dire Wednesday, whose first half negativity beggared belief at times. What I didn't understand was everyone getting so upset with their time wasting. Whenever one of their players elected to give us a breather by rolling on the floor for a few minutes rather than running us into the ground with their numerical advantage, I was saying "Thanks very much" :|

With the benefit of subsequent media, in my view Pearce appears to have been somewhat clumsy and a tad naïve but this is a sh*t rule that we have benefited from in the past and one most centre halves succumb to more than once in their career. As an eminent Northern Royal observed as we left the Upper West, conceding a penalty and losing a man for the rest of the match in these situations is tantamount to double jeopardy.

Sh*t happens but FINALLY I'm looking forward to seeing this team perform with a full compliment and looking infinitely more effective than just a few weeks ago ............................better late than never, Nige!

I'm sorry but that is crap, we did a job, yes we were helped by the dismissal but in the 2nd period we controlled the game, you had 0 shots on target!

Have to say you looked a very good team. If you hadn't had a bad start I'm sure you would be up there challenging. Thought sending off was harsh but tug on shirt was there so probably a penalty. Just wish refs could make up their minds on whether shirt tugging is a foul or not. They are never given at
corners! I think it would have been a tight game with 11 v 11 but based on the chances we were creating beforehand I think we may have just edged it.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Feb 2014 09:36

Huckleberry Hound
RoyalBlue Right, so there has been absolutely no mention of the appalling weather, localised flooding (yes, even in the Reading area) over the past few days?! And no mention of the traffic problems in the Mad Stad area from at least midday onwards? What's more from the moment Adie and co were on air they were telling people to leave early for the game due to the problems.

I checked the AA website at midday & the only problems on the M4 at the time were eastbound at J5. Was on the approach to J11 just after two o'clock, but missed the first five minutes of the game.

IMO the traffic websites aren't that good (tend to lag behind with the updates) with the TomTom site being the closest to real time. Local radio is much more up to date and reliable. BBCRB can be received up in NW London and a long way down the M4 (have even picked it up in Bristol at times). It is also available online. Added to that, this very forum had pictures of a flooded Reading Gate Retail Park, which suggested that there may well be localised problems.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 10 Feb 2014 09:59

Walkley_Owl

by Walkley_Owl » 10 Feb 2014 10:00

paddy20
Walkley_Owl
Woodcote Royal My first game since September and, despite the result (not to mention being one of Adkins strongest critics) I left seriously impressed with both the team and its manager's performance on one of those inevitable days in the course of a long season when, sh*t happens.

As Pearce sloped off after seeing red, I said to my neighbour "That's Alf done for the afternoon"

Before Adkins saw the light and adopted the McDermott approach of getting the very best out of available resources whatever it takes, Le Fondre would have been sat next to Pearce within minutes. The fact the manager elected to retain our Championship player of the month in such adversity should give us all much hope for the rest of the season.

Playing a man short at this level for 80 minutes is a very tall order and, to state the blindingly obvious, something has to give. We needed at least one goal to get anything from the game and with just an ounce of luck here or there we would have succeeded. I thought our "10" covered the ground amazingly well right to the final whistle and the 2 strikers insured Wedneday always had something think about in defence. Meanwhile, the pace of Obita and McCleary at full back meant they could get forward from time to time to good effect and half way through the second half our heavily worked central midfield was swapped for fresh legs. Yes, this all made us more direct and, yes, some tired legs misplaced a few passes but as a means to play almost an entire match one man and one goal down, it was nothing short of impressive ..........................what do some of you want, blood :|

With 11 men on the pitch we would have wiped the floor with a simply dire Wednesday, whose first half negativity beggared belief at times. What I didn't understand was everyone getting so upset with their time wasting. Whenever one of their players elected to give us a breather by rolling on the floor for a few minutes rather than running us into the ground with their numerical advantage, I was saying "Thanks very much" :|

With the benefit of subsequent media, in my view Pearce appears to have been somewhat clumsy and a tad naïve but this is a sh*t rule that we have benefited from in the past and one most centre halves succumb to more than once in their career. As an eminent Northern Royal observed as we left the Upper West, conceding a penalty and losing a man for the rest of the match in these situations is tantamount to double jeopardy.

Sh*t happens but FINALLY I'm looking forward to seeing this team perform with a full compliment and looking infinitely more effective than just a few weeks ago ............................better late than never, Nige!

I'm sorry but that is crap, we did a job, yes we were helped by the dismissal but in the 2nd period we controlled the game, you had 0 shots on target!

Have to say you looked a very good team. If you hadn't had a bad start I'm sure you would be up there challenging. Thought sending off was harsh but tug on shirt was there so probably a penalty. Just wish refs could make up their minds on whether shirt tugging is a foul or not. They are never given at
corners! I think it would have been a tight game with 11 v 11 but based on the chances we were creating beforehand I think we may have just edged it.

Did you see the Eto'o penalty award this weekend? First time i've seen a referee have the balls to award one for holding in the box.

I don't think we have enough about us to have been challenging for the top six regardless of the start, we are only just beginning to pull away from the bottom 3, on November 30th we were bottom on 11 points.

I do think you'd have beaten us had it been a less controversial start but considering we had 5 centre backs out and played a midfielder at centre half I thought we nullified the threat of ALF and POG after a shaky beginning, we have pace and width in the side which causes plenty of problems and in Kieran Lee we have a midfielder who can almost do it all but goes unnoticed.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 10 Feb 2014 10:06

MmmMonsterMunch
floyd__streete
Agent Balti All the moaners on BBC Berks blaming Adkins for this result need a reality check.

0-2 down with more than 30 mins left we then resorted to hitting diagonals towards Pog and Kirkland didn't have a shot to save. Adkins can take the blame for that, if not the many individual mistakes made by the players he (allegedly) coaches during the week.

So you're blaming Adkins for Pearce's red card?

Ok then :lol:

See, what he's done there is the precise opposite of blaming Adkins for the red card.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 10 Feb 2014 10:38

Akpan is awful, all for keeping same, winning team but he really should not be near starting 11.

not sure we will survive with gunter at CB for next few games

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Feb 2014 10:58

sandman
bcubed
sandman Ah a loss, must be time to have a go at Jobi. :roll:

Not really he's been the weak link in last few games IMO, the one player I would have thought about changing
He usually flatters to deceive but yesterday he didn't even bother with the flattering, hence the negative comments from quite a number on here

No, sorry, just no. He has not been the weak link in the last few games at all in fact if it wasn't for him and the security he gives I doubt Obita would have taken to left back as well as he has.

Jobi just isn't a player for the simple fan.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 10 Feb 2014 11:14

Walkley_Owl I do think you'd have beaten us had it been a less controversial start but considering we had 5 centre backs out and played a midfielder at centre half I thought we nullified the threat of ALF and POG after a shaky beginning, we have pace and width in the side which causes plenty of problems and in Kieran Lee we have a midfielder who can almost do it all but goes unnoticed.

You didn't nullify the threat of Pog and ALF, the ref did that for you.

Walkley_Owl

by Walkley_Owl » 10 Feb 2014 11:28

Wycombe Royal
Walkley_Owl I do think you'd have beaten us had it been a less controversial start but considering we had 5 centre backs out and played a midfielder at centre half I thought we nullified the threat of ALF and POG after a shaky beginning, we have pace and width in the side which causes plenty of problems and in Kieran Lee we have a midfielder who can almost do it all but goes unnoticed.

Not really, the ref hindered you but you left two up top and they simply didn't work hard enough, 0 shots on target.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 10 Feb 2014 11:37

Walkley_Owl
Wycombe Royal

Not really, the ref hindered you but you left two up top and they simply didn't work hard enough, 0 shots on target.

Playing with 10 men for 80 minutes and an opposition team who had a player go down injured whenever we tried to break it hardly surprising is it? I think you need to look at the first 7 minutes to see the shape the game was taking before the ref intervened.

royals pete

by royals pete » 10 Feb 2014 11:49

For Dellar, whoapparently owned up as only seeing play from behind Pearce but still said 'never a penalty', I think everyone in the East Stand who fell silent as the player went down, saw Pearce clearly holding the shirt of the Sheff player. Not for the first time !!. We looked for the ref who duly gave pen. I assume this was reason for pen which negates the Dellar question' did you trip him' But can someone tell me WHY HOLD A SHIRT IN THE AREA ?????????

Walkley_Owl

by Walkley_Owl » 10 Feb 2014 11:53

Wycombe Royal Playing with 10 men for 80 minutes and an opposition team who had a player go down injured whenever we tried to break it hardly surprising is it? I think you need to look at the first 7 minutes to see the shape the game was taking before the ref intervened.

Did you have a shot on target in the first 7 minutes? No.

Swanny1871

by Swanny1871 » 10 Feb 2014 11:58

Terrible defending from Pearce!

He clearly had the guys shirt, in the box, penalty all day long. Gorkss was close by so it could have been a yellow but if it happened at the other end, we would all have been calling for the red!!

At least Hector will get his chance now.....

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 10 Feb 2014 11:58

Walkley_Owl
Wycombe Royal Playing with 10 men for 80 minutes and an opposition team who had a player go down injured whenever we tried to break it hardly surprising is it? I think you need to look at the first 7 minutes to see the shape the game was taking before the ref intervened.

but we did create two very good chances...impossible to test what would have happened if Pearce had still been on the field

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 10 Feb 2014 12:04

Walkley_Owl

Rofl, wtf is your obsession with shots on target?

We had two golden opportunities in the first 5 mins, both times we had our strikers through 1-on-1, just because they didn't endup with a shot on target doesn't change the fact that on a different day we'd have been 2 up Anne laughing.

Congrats on the three points and all, but don't come on here acting like it was a dominant away display.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 10 Feb 2014 12:08

Walkley_Owl

Forced Kirkland into making a very good save from ALF as he was going round him and then another cleared 2 yards from the line after Pog had attempted to be honest and stay on his feet when challenged by three of your players. It's not all about shots on target. Obviously if it was Afobe in the same position as Pog he would have gone down, won a penalty and got a player sent off.

Honesty wins you nothing these days.

Walkley_Owl

by Walkley_Owl » 10 Feb 2014 12:13

Wycombe Royal
Walkley_Owl

Forced Kirkland into making a very good save from ALF as he was going round him and then another cleared 2 yards from the line after Pog had attempted to be honest and stay on his feet when challenged by three of your players. It's not all about shots on target. Obviously if it was Afobe in the same position as Pog he would have gone down, won a penalty and got a player sent off.

Honesty wins you nothing these days.

Kirkland did well for the Alf 'chance' but lets be honest ALF was poor for most of the game, as was the "Big oxf*rd Russian" but was that down to the tactics employed by Adkins?

Far from being dominant in the first half we stepped it a bit in the second period, we hit the bar twice and had McCarthy making some top class saves.

Best of luck for the rest of the season though.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 10 Feb 2014 12:13

I thought Reading played pretty well after the red card. The players worked their knackers off to try to get something from the contest after Pearce spent the first 9 mins getting rinsed.

Wednesday were always going to have chances on the break but I thought Reading pressed for long periods despite the numerical disadvantage.

The wind definitely went out of their sails in the second half as the effort caught up with them and the Afobe goal was obviously a killer but I've seen RFC play worse with eleven men.

Onwards.

291 posts