10%
Other
3%

Total votes: 449
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Player of the Season 2013/14 - Poll

by Ian Royal » 03 Apr 2014 20:00

Goalscorers are always going to catch the eye and do better than others unless they are standout good, which basically no one has been.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 04 Apr 2014 12:19

Ian Royal
Wimb Obita will likely to win it for the same reasons that Chris Armstrong did ... putting in a string of solid performances while the rest have only been good in patches.

Personally I've gone for Pog, G-Mac and McCarthy, as they've all been the outstanding players during particular stages of the season, McCarthy the early months, Pog being the only player to look remotely up for it over the winter and G-Mac for inspiring that run in January/Feb.

Got nothing against Obita, I just don't look at his performances as the reason we've won games X, Y and Z or didn't lose A, B or C.

Didn't he clear the ball of the line against Huddersfield? That's a reason we didn't lose that match for you.

I take your point and Sandman's as well but to me he still lacks that decisive impact factor...

As I said, he's had a good season but to me a whole season of 7's isn't quite as good as a player that's produced a string of 8's and 9's even if they've also produced a fair few 5's and 6's.

Just my opinion and if Obita won it I'd hardly be outraged or upset.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 04 Apr 2014 13:00

Wimb
Ian Royal
Wimb Obita will likely to win it for the same reasons that Chris Armstrong did ... putting in a string of solid performances while the rest have only been good in patches.

Personally I've gone for Pog, G-Mac and McCarthy, as they've all been the outstanding players during particular stages of the season, McCarthy the early months, Pog being the only player to look remotely up for it over the winter and G-Mac for inspiring that run in January/Feb.

Got nothing against Obita, I just don't look at his performances as the reason we've won games X, Y and Z or didn't lose A, B or C.

Didn't he clear the ball of the line against Huddersfield? That's a reason we didn't lose that match for you.

I take your point and Sandman's as well but to me he still lacks that decisive impact factor...

As I said, he's had a good season but to me a whole season of 7's isn't quite as good as a player that's produced a string of 8's and 9's even if they've also produced a fair few 5's and 6's.

Just my opinion and if Obita won it I'd hardly be outraged or upset.

Let's be honest, a whole season of 7's would see him MOTM in a big chunk of games this season. Can't think of anyone with the possible exception of McCarthy who could fit into the string of 8's and 9's category. Between those two I'd have thought.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Apr 2014 14:56

Player of the season = Pavel Pogrebnyak
Young Player of the season = Jordan Obita

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 04 Apr 2014 15:22

Could someone please inform me how Chris Gunter could possibly be considered for POTS

Yes, there is no player who has clearly stuck their neck out as a possible winner and the award could go to a handful of players but Chris Gunter, no.

He has been a liability in defence all season, gets the wrong side of the man 8 out of 10 times, gets muscled away from the ball, puts other players in a difficult position and is just generally a weak player.
He also offers minimal in attack apart from the occasionally good cross.

I know we all have our opinions so could someone please try to persuade what he has done to come close to receiving POTS this year.

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 04 Apr 2014 15:29

My Votes:

Pog - Although sometimes has lacked the quality, he has a tough job as most of the time he is playing as a lone striker in a very physical league. He has done well to create opportunities for himself and the team and tbh he is the only player who I have thought this season that they are giving it 100% in every game.

Jordan Obita - Just gets over the third vote because of his consistency, Obita started the season at left wing and was moved to left back by Adkins and he has adapted to the new role superbly for an inexperienced player who barely had a sniff in the first 11 before this season. Still a bit suspect at the back understandably, however I have been very impressed with him this season

G Mac - for the only reason that when he is on form he is our best player hands down. Lacked the consistency that is needed but has won us many points this season and is capable of beating any defence on his day.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 04 Apr 2014 16:44

Unbelievable Jeff Could someone please inform me how Chris Gunter could possibly be considered for POTS

Yes, there is no player who has clearly stuck their neck out as a possible winner and the award could go to a handful of players but Chris Gunter, no.

He has been a liability in defence all season, gets the wrong side of the man 8 out of 10 times, gets muscled away from the ball, puts other players in a difficult position and is just generally a weak player.

I know we all have our opinions so could someone please try to persuade what he has done to come close to receiving POTS this year.

He is the most consistent player in a load of shite

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 04 Apr 2014 16:58

Unbelievable Jeff Could someone please inform me how Chris Gunter could possibly be considered for POTS

I'd say he's far less of a liability than you make out. He's being much more solid, and although the odd pass goes wayward every now and then he more than makes up for it with his defensive contributions, often bailing other players out of jail.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Apr 2014 17:18

Agree for the most part, though I would say he improved after the first 10 games. Would add his total inability to judge the flight of the ball in the air to his weaknesses.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Apr 2014 18:27

Gunter was toss last season and didn't start this one well, but he's been mostly good since. Bar a couple of horror shows. Prone to dropping a clanger or two in far too many games though.

Sadly, despite those negatives, his performances do put him in the frame for PotS

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Apr 2014 20:38

Last season, I would have agreed with you. He was a total liability defensively and offered very little going forward.

This season, whilst he was made a few costly errors, he hasn't been exposed defensively nearly as often, and he is very good on the overlap.

Loyal royal 247

by Loyal royal 247 » 04 Apr 2014 20:43

I'd go with...

1. Chris Gunter
2. Jordan obita
3. Gareth McCleary

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Apr 2014 21:11

1. McDuff...the re-inclusion of him to the team coincided with our upward turn to what was otherwise going to be a totally wasted and dire season...who can ever fault his effort?

2. Obita...because he will be gone to pastures green sooner than we would like....enough said

3. Gorkss/Akpan.....written off by most, last season/early this season, yet despite some howlers (just like the other 9 sharing that pitch) have been mainstays during our better times this season

LOL away at my choices suckers

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 05 Apr 2014 12:47

For the same reasons a many on here, Obita's consistently admirable performances while a youngster and out of position, wins him the vote for me.

Only voted once as I don't think anybody else has given any consistency or notable quality that would earn them POTS, but a small nod to Williams for his brief but quality run in midfield and a pat on the back for McAnuff for breaking back into the side and showing he still has something to offer.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 05 Apr 2014 13:39

1. Pog - Been most consistent all season
2. Obita - Only at Left Back. He has never impressed me playing LM or CM.
3. Gunter- Just couldn't think of anyone else who's been half decent.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 05 Apr 2014 14:34

for me has to be either mccarthy, gunter, or mccleary. all 3 have been our most consistent performers over the season.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 05 Apr 2014 15:00

McCleary's about as inconsistent as you can get.

littlejohnnyoster

by littlejohnnyoster » 05 Apr 2014 15:12

A season where every time its looked like someone is putting a bit of form together they get injured or go missing.

McCleary, Pog, Williams and McCarthy especially hampered by this.

All in all though, if we look at the whole season, I think it has to be from Gunter, Pog or McCleary. Without these three sporadically hitting form, this season could've been a whole lot worse.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 08 Apr 2014 14:15

madreadingfan 1. Pog - Been most consistent all season

Agreed. He has consistently not scored any goals all season.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 08 Apr 2014 15:05

Extended-Phenotype For the same reasons a many on here, Obita's consistently admirable performances while a youngster and out of position, wins him the vote for me.

Only voted once as I don't think anybody else has given any consistency or notable quality that would earn them POTS, but a small nod to Williams for his brief but quality run in midfield and a pat on the back for McAnuff for breaking back into the side and showing he still has something to offer.

Totally this.

134 posts