We are going up!

JR

We are going up!

by JR » 06 Apr 2014 01:45

I have a very funny feeling about this season.

It's been a very strange one! For the last 4 months, no matter what we have done we have stayed in 6th.

We have been so inconsistent and frustrating, but I think that may be our secret weapon. I can't really rationalise it but I have a strong feeling we will do it in the play offs. Every previous season going in to the play offs there has been expectation - this year that is not the case and that could be a massive benefit.

jellytot

Re: We are going up!

by jellytot » 06 Apr 2014 02:37

I am of the opposite opinion. We always screw up in the play offs and usually in comical ways. Personally feel we are certain to mess up again. If we get to the final I will bet on the other team winning to soften the blow.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Apr 2014 08:33

jellytot I am of the opposite opinion. We always screw up in the play offs and usually in comical ways. Personally feel we are certain to mess up again. If we get to the final I will bet on the other team winning to soften the blow.

Define usually?
Define comical?

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 06 Apr 2014 08:55

I feel this squad could do well in the premiership, if we sell everyone apart from McCarthy and buy better replacements this summer. And deal with the Adkins situation.

jellytot

by jellytot » 06 Apr 2014 09:14

paultheroyal
jellytot I am of the opposite opinion. We always screw up in the play offs and usually in comical ways. Personally feel we are certain to mess up again. If we get to the final I will bet on the other team winning to soften the blow.

Define usually?
Define comical?

Usually is wrong sorry actually we always fail in the play offs fact.
Comical = the final in Cardiff against Walsall a clearance hitting TR's backside and flying in our net.

RepressedRoyal

by RepressedRoyal » 06 Apr 2014 09:49

If we get in the play-offs, surely it will be as one of the most non-descript teams ever witnessed; every time I go to a game I feel like I am watching something that barely resembles a game of football; it like watching an impostors 11.

The Championship, probably because the financial state of most of its clubs, appears to be the weakest it has been for some time so how on earth Harry Redknapp is still employed I don't know.

If we go up, the utter carnage that would ensue would be perversely compelling and we could at least get relegated with more cash and increased parachute payments.

Though I am not sure that us enough to stir supporters from the sense apathy at the Madstad that creates trepidation and as a consequence, poor result after poor result.

It is obvious the team prefer away matches, so that shows there is clearly something odd about the relationship between the club and the fans.

£4 for a pint of awful beer doesn't help.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 06 Apr 2014 09:58

I blame the beer too.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Apr 2014 10:16

RepressedRoyal If we get in the play-offs, surely it will be as one of the most non-descript teams ever witnessed; every time I go to a game I feel like I am watching something that barely resembles a game of football; it like watching an impostors 11.

The Championship, probably because the financial state of most of its clubs, appears to be the weakest it has been for some time so how on earth Harry Redknapp is still employed I don't know.

If we go up, the utter carnage that would ensue would be perversely compelling and we could at least get relegated with more cash and increased parachute payments.

Though I am not sure that us enough to stir supporters from the sense apathy at the Madstad that creates trepidation and as a consequence, poor result after poor result.

It is obvious the team prefer away matches, so that shows there is clearly something odd about the relationship between the club and the fans.

Ah... Weakest championship in years arguement had in 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004.....

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Apr 2014 10:37

Win the play offs.

Dismiss any fanciful notion of competing, spend bugger all, integrate the youngsters.

Get lowest points total ever, relegated by March.

Financial problems solved.

Bounce back up in a couple of years with nicely blooded youngsters.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Apr 2014 10:54

Royal Rother Win the play offs.

Dismiss any fanciful notion of competing, spend bugger all, integrate the youngsters.

Nah that's the one points record that is never getting broken.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 06 Apr 2014 11:01

paultheroyal
RepressedRoyal If we get in the play-offs, surely it will be as one of the most non-descript teams ever witnessed; every time I go to a game I feel like I am watching something that barely resembles a game of football; it like watching an impostors 11.

Ah... Weakest championship in years arguement had in 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004.....

I'd agree that previous years weren't so bad, and that it gets said a lot, I thought it was quite strong last time we went up, and last year's certainly was. But I can't remember a time when so many teams seemingly tried so hard to avoid sixth place. If it was just Forest nose diving, then ok, but QPR, Forest, Brighton, us. None of us should still be in it, and teams like Ipswich and Bournemouth are near the playoffs by default because the likes of Leeds, Watford and Blackburn haven't lived up to billing.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Apr 2014 11:08

Poorest Tier2 I can recall.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Apr 2014 11:09

I t was universally claimed to be a terrible championship last year with every team predicted to come straight back down.

RepressedRoyal

by RepressedRoyal » 06 Apr 2014 11:11

paultheroyal

Maybe it has always been poor and I am just perceiving it differently...Whatever the case, going to watch home games, personally speaking, has only marginally ousted watching paint dry as a Saturday afternoon form of entertainment.

There is a sense of apathy that has become infectious, it is the opposite of what you see happening at Anfield, where positivity and belief is having a dramatic and infectious effect.

If we go up, and it is a real possibility now, few Reading fans will disagree that it will have been the most bizarre promotion imaginable.

trueroyal1871

by trueroyal1871 » 06 Apr 2014 11:25

Royal Rother Win the play offs.

I'd be happy with that although I couldn't see us getting the lowest points total ever. I actually predicted at the start of the season we would go up via the play offs after having a dream about us winning at Wembley.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Apr 2014 11:39

I'm just saying that if getting back to financial stability is the short-term plan, then in reality, save for the ego of a few fans, it really wouldn't matter if we had the lowest points total ever.

1 year of pain (pre-declared / accepted) in order to get back on an even keel would be more than acceptable to most.

trueroyal1871

by trueroyal1871 » 06 Apr 2014 11:41

Royal Rother I'm just saying that if getting back to financial stability is the short-term plan, then in reality, save for the ego of a few fans, it really wouldn't matter if we had the lowest points total ever.

1 year of pain (pre-declared / accepted) in order to get back on an even keel would be more than acceptable to most.

I completely agree.

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 06 Apr 2014 12:09

Talking of financial stability; if we gain promotion, does that make the club easier or harder to sell?

I guess as a business it means greater revenue streams, and a more global marketing reach, but then again the associated costs with running the club would increase as would the price tag. Just wondered what you guys thought?

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 06 Apr 2014 12:37

In a bizarre way I can see us going up too. We have bumbled along in or around the last couple of play off places all season. Never really clicked as a team, lost games we really should be winning if we have aspirations to go up. Yet at the same time we have had the odd great result, away to Derby and QPR spring to mind.

For once we also have a manager who has successfully got his teams promotion via the play-off system before, have we ever had this before?

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 06 Apr 2014 12:53

I think we have a decent chance. Don't buy into HNA's trademark 100% pessimistic world end after we lose user base...
We have some players that can really shine, or do the complete opposite. Drenthe, Williams, Pogrebnyak, Le Fondre, McCleary maybe even McAnuff still have something special in them. As long as the players ACTUALLY turn up we have a chance.

Also the financial benefits can NOT be ignored, promotion should be wanted purely for the financial gain, as someone said one year in the prem sorts out our financial 'issues'.