Who/what is to blame?

What are the main reasons for our failure to finish in the top 6 thise past season? (choose 2)

Ownership
34%
Nigel Adkins
10%
Injuries
22%
Player performance
18%
Fan Support
2%
Home record
12%
Other (please specify)
2%

Total votes: 199
Blue & White Soup

Re: Who/what is to blame?

by Blue & White Soup » 04 May 2014 20:01

If i never get to sing the Jobi Mcanuff song again then.. then.. :( :(

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 May 2014 20:33

SHORT AND CURLY Simple Adkins

Most Championship clubs would dream of having a squad like ours. I know we have had injuries but we have had ample replacements and our clueless manager has failed miserably with his tactics.

I am yet to see a game plan and we are now at the end of the season.

Why will next season be any better? Can someone tell me.

My only enjoyment this season is having a few beers with mates before the games. Then the football starts :cry:

You call having to playing wingers and a central defender in midfield adequate replacements?

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 04 May 2014 20:44

Exactly my point!

My head hurts :roll:

mambo3

by mambo3 » 04 May 2014 21:18

Dave-Royal No it was not ownership Fault, We done rellay well were we finshed. we was not good enough to go up,,,,any way. no one is to blame... we don't have the money like another team do, we don't have any money next season hope to be stonger but I cant see player going out think we wont sign any one. may be 3

Sounds like Burnley at the start of the season

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 05 May 2014 18:33

Injuries gave Adkins a challenge which he failed.

Too many formations and tinkering with what was available, strange omissions, poor subs, odd tactics and a failure to rouse the players.

Injuries and ownership made things difficult but Adkins didn't help and should have done better.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 05 May 2014 18:42

Feck me! I actually agree with something(s) you've said! :shock:

photographer

by photographer » 05 May 2014 18:48

Brian mcdonut

If he didn't give the order to injure karacan, who knows where we'll be now.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 May 2014 18:58

There are three main causes to the relatively poor performance this season (relative to expectations and realistic ambitions).

The biggest singular factor has, IMO, been the ownership and financial problems behind the scenes.

Second biggest factor is the injury list and the misfortune that a lot of the injuries came in the same area of the pitch/squad, ie central midfield.

The third main factor is Adkins response and handling of those two major problems and how it appeared to leave the squad disaffected, confused and at times lacking leadership and direction. Having said that he seems to have coped reasonably well in many ways (we almost did enough to make the playoffs when in many respects we should've been miles off them).

I think the majority of the other 'causes' are symptoms of the above largely because the two key people in the running of a successful club are the manager and owner.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 May 2014 20:17

kwik-silva
Libertine No, not really. Because they often times did not perform well on the road in games where we should have got results. Home games are much different animals than away ones and, imo, should be treated differently and differentiated...

That's fair enough

I honestly don't see how ownership can be the main reason why this season didn't go as well as planned when we dropped points to Barnsley, Yeovil, Millwall etc. None of that was the ownership situation, and if we'd picked up points where we should have, in those cases, we would have been comfortably in the play-offs.

Try this then. The squad clearly lacked strength in depth (just two established strikers - crazy!). It definitely needed strengthening and that became even more apparent when we got hit with so many bad injuries, particularly the some of the key ones. Adkins wanted to strengthen it. At the time the club were trying to attract him AZ & JM promised him the funding that he was wanted before he signed on the dotted line for them - he didn't get to sign all of the players he wanted in the summer. Prior to the January transfer window, Adkins again wanted to strengthen. Madejski gave an interview to BBCRB just before Xmas when he clearly stated (without any qualification whatsoever) that transfer funding would be available to Adkins in the January window. Just a couple of weeks later Madejski broke that commitment to the extent that Adkins wasn't even able to secure Chris Baird for the remainder of the season.

All of the above appears to be very much an ownership issue, be it a case of the shyster Zingarevich's actions and/or his co-owner failing to deliver on the commitments that he made.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 05 May 2014 21:10

RoyalBlue
kwik-silva
Libertine No, not really. Because they often times did not perform well on the road in games where we should have got results. Home games are much different animals than away ones and, imo, should be treated differently and differentiated...

That's fair enough

I honestly don't see how ownership can be the main reason why this season didn't go as well as planned when we dropped points to Barnsley, Yeovil, Millwall etc. None of that was the ownership situation, and if we'd picked up points where we should have, in those cases, we would have been comfortably in the play-offs.

Try this then. The squad clearly lacked strength in depth (just two established strikers - crazy!). It definitely needed strengthening and that became even more apparent when we got hit with so many bad injuries, particularly the some of the key ones. Adkins wanted to strengthen it. At the time the club were trying to attract him AZ & JM promised him the funding that he was wanted before he signed on the dotted line for them - he didn't get to sign all of the players he wanted in the summer. Prior to the January transfer window, Adkins again wanted to strengthen. Madejski gave an interview to BBCRB just before Xmas when he clearly stated (without any qualification whatsoever) that transfer funding would be available to Adkins in the January window. Just a couple of weeks later Madejski broke that commitment to the extent that Adkins wasn't even able to secure Chris Baird for the remainder of the season.

All of the above appears to be very much an ownership issue, be it a case of the shyster Zingarevich's actions and/or his co-owner failing to deliver on the commitments that he made.

And that was the reason we lost at home to Barsnley, or dropped points to an eight-man Yeovil? No way, the team we put out should have stuffed either of those sides comfortably but didn't. I didn't say it wasn't an issue at all, I merely said that I don't believe it to be the main issue to our shortcomings. I actually wrote up what I thought was the issue here. Personally, I think the ownership issue will become more of an issue when we can't retain the players that we have, rather than failing to bring new ones in.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 May 2014 21:32

kwik-silva, I'd agree that you could argue the sides we put out should've been able to win those games but not only is that overlooking the impact on human motivation and performance that their environment has but it's also quite arrogant to think any of our sides should beat other championship sides so easily, especially when Hope Akpan is involved!

JakeTheRoyal

by JakeTheRoyal » 05 May 2014 21:36

I blame Queensly always have... always will. Ever since ger introduction things have gone South. Queensly out

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 May 2014 23:02

RoyalBlue Madejski gave an interview to BBCRB just before Xmas when he clearly stated (without any qualification whatsoever) that transfer funding would be available to Adkins in the January window. Just a couple of weeks later Madejski broke that commitment to the extent that Adkins wasn't even able to secure Chris Baird for the remainder of the season.

Why hasn't someone mentioned this at some point in the past few months? Surely someone should have alerted us to it?

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 05 May 2014 23:22

Hoop Blah kwik-silva, I'd agree that you could argue the sides we put out should've been able to win those games but not only is that overlooking the impact on human motivation and performance that their environment has but it's also quite arrogant to think any of our sides should beat other championship sides so easily, especially when Hope Akpan is involved!

I agree to an extent, but if we had beaten Yeovil when they were down to eight men then all this talk would be different, and I don't think you can put that down to the ownership crisis - and whatever side we put out there should have won.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 05 May 2014 23:28

Hoop Blah kwik-silva, I'd agree that you could argue the sides we put out should've been able to win those games but not only is that overlooking the impact on human motivation and performance that their environment has but it's also quite arrogant to think any of our sides should beat other championship sides so easily, especially when Hope Akpan is involved!

Imagine if we employed someone to motivate these players who are so impacted by things going on in the boardroom

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 06 May 2014 00:20

SCIAG
RoyalBlue Madejski gave an interview to BBCRB just before Xmas when he clearly stated (without any qualification whatsoever) that transfer funding would be available to Adkins in the January window. Just a couple of weeks later Madejski broke that commitment to the extent that Adkins wasn't even able to secure Chris Baird for the remainder of the season.

Why hasn't someone mentioned this at some point in the past few months? Surely someone should have alerted us to it?

SJM would probably have just fobbed us off with the old - something changed during that time which meant we could no longer provide the funds we thought we could- line,
But we know the truth - that he was just teasing all along, for his own twisted enjoyment.
The bastard

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 May 2014 07:41

Silver Fox

Imagine if we employed someone to motivate these players who are so impacted by things going on in the boardroom

And wouldn't it be simple if motivation was so easy.

It didn't just impact the boardroom though did it. The side was calling out for reinforcements and for the manager to be able to bring in some of his own players and that translates to the atmosphere and performances on the pitch and training ground.

As I've said, Adkins carries a share of the blame, but he can't work miracles.

kwik-silva, I totally agree that not being able to score a winner in ten minutes or whatever it was against 8 man Yeovil is pretty poor, but these things do happen in football. It's not just a turn up and get the points your wage bill warrants you get sport.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 06 May 2014 08:04

On the subject of Taylor, what are we comparing him against? If it's Guthrie then he's definately not shit. I actually rate him as I do Hector, Obita and Tshibola. However if we are comparing him against Sig, then no. Kuhl is probably the closest we have had to Sig and the sooner we can integrate him into the first team the better.

Next season I would like one of Kuhl or Taylor alongside Williams

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 06 May 2014 08:32

melonhead
SCIAG

SJM would probably have just fobbed us off with the old - something changed during that time which meant we could no longer provide the funds we thought we could- line,
But we know the truth - that he was just teasing all along, for his own twisted enjoyment.
The bastard

Or he thought we could cope without investment as we were in the mix.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 06 May 2014 10:16

Hoop Blah
Silver Fox

And wouldn't it be simple if motivation was so easy.

Sorry Nigel, but it's a big part of your job