Successful big money signings

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Successful big money signings

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 02 Jul 2014 09:10

Nameless I think the legs of differnet length was a myth, supposedly it didn't manifest itself at York becasue their pitch was on a slope

:lol:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jul 2014 10:00

It would explain why his crossing was so shit.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 02 Jul 2014 12:25

harry
Nameless The original Murty we signed for 700k was a total flop.

Luckily it was a 2 for 1 deal and the makeweight proved a huge success.

I seem to recall Tommy Burns signed him as a winger. But he was out for ages (almost Evers-esque in his absence) because he had a back problem caused by different length legs or something. Was that right or is my memory playing tricks?

He signed Andy Gurney as well and I recall him playing the winger at right back and the right back on the wing, but I can't remember which was which - obviously Murty at right back worked out quite well in the end.

Scott Murray - Didn't stay long at the club as a left footed right winger or whatever he was, I wouldn't say he was a failure but didn't fit into the new managers (Coppell?) plans as he thought players with left feet or right feet, whatever playing on the opposite side didn't work.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 02 Jul 2014 12:32

Maybe we should devise a formula to help?

+500,000 points per goal scored
+100,000 points per appearance
+100,000 points per clean sheet
+500,000 points per win
+200,000 points per draw
-500,000 points per loss
+500,000 point per sub appearance
+250,000 points for winning POTS
+150,000 points per League MOTM award
+250,000 points per full season at the club
- purchase cost £1 = 1 point

etc etc

Of course, it will be too much work to complete and will throw up some surprise results

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 02 Jul 2014 12:39

You are Jason Roberts aren't you?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jul 2014 12:54

Royal Biscuitman
harry
Nameless The original Murty we signed for 700k was a total flop.

Luckily it was a 2 for 1 deal and the makeweight proved a huge success.

I seem to recall Tommy Burns signed him as a winger. But he was out for ages (almost Evers-esque in his absence) because he had a back problem caused by different length legs or something. Was that right or is my memory playing tricks?

He signed Andy Gurney as well and I recall him playing the winger at right back and the right back on the wing, but I can't remember which was which - obviously Murty at right back worked out quite well in the end.

Scott Murray - Didn't stay long at the club as a left footed right winger or whatever he was, I wouldn't say he was a failure but didn't fit into the new managers (Coppell?) plans as he thought players with left feet or right feet, whatever playing on the opposite side didn't work.

Gurney was a better defender than Murty. Murts was slightly better going forwards.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jul 2014 13:55

Pepe the Horseman
Royal Biscuitman
harry

Gurney was a better defender than Murty. Murts was slightly better going forwards.

..and Murray was shit. Lazy, lower league one trick show pony who never tracked back.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 02 Jul 2014 14:21

From Despair To Where? ..and Murray was shit. Lazy, lower league one trick show pony who never tracked back.

I actually quite liked Murray and was sorry it didn't work out for him this far down the M4. He could have made a name for himself with us but his loyalty to Brizzle won out in the end.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jul 2014 15:14

Royal Ginger Mariappa was arguably quite good in a crappy team. Club spent a few bob on him didn't they?

I.knew I missed someone. Ok in his one season is as far as I'd go.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jul 2014 21:06

M Brook
From Despair To Where? ..and Murray was shit. Lazy, lower league one trick show pony who never tracked back.

I actually quite liked Murray and was sorry it didn't work out for him this far down the M4. He could have made a name for himself with us but his loyalty to Brizzle won out in the end.

He never tracked back, constantly leaving the RB exposed and if he didn't have the full back beaten for pace in the first 5yds, more often than not he just threw his arms in the air, looking for a foul and gave up. Knocking the ball past the full back and trying to skin him for pace is fine and dandy playing in League 1 but in the Championship where the full backs have a bit more nous, he was found out in no time. Homesickness and failing to settle was just a convenient excuse for being out of his depth.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 03 Jul 2014 09:06

Tilehurstsouthbank
Nameless I think the legs of differnet length was a myth, supposedly it didn't manifest itself at York becasue their pitch was on a slope

:lol:

I remember this, good thinking by York to get players who can play on their uneven pitch, presumably though this home advantage was a hindrance when playing away :lol:

If it was true, I assume it's something that can be corrected with an insert inside the football boot. The main damage to a person would be on the hips.

Gandalf Presley

by Gandalf Presley » 04 Jul 2014 02:55

Interesting question. If I think back over the record signings during my time supporting RFC it is hardly impressive:-

Terry Hurlock - spent probably as much time banned as he did playing in his year here

Keith Curle - the stand-out here in my opinion. Replacement for Steve Wood, oozed class.

Steve Moran - PFA young player of the year in '82, record signing for lower div 2 team five years later. Says it all really

Lee Nogan - fantastic end to 94/95 and start to 95/96 then very little

Darren Caskey - we should have tried harder to bring in Neil Lennon. Great 99/00 but what else?

Leroy Lita - overshadowed by our seventy-five grand signing. Score goals for a month in the Prem then simply a disruptive influence. Der-der-der-der, over-rated.

Seol - great until Xmas 06 then lost interest

Greg Halford - gone in six months

Emerse Fae - touted as a signing for twelve months then delivered nothing.

I am an absolute spectic whenever RFC spend money - maybe that's what made the 05/06 season so joyous - as history illustrates.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 07 Jul 2014 19:20

M Brook Steve Moran - how much did we pay for him? The figure of £250,000 comes to mind. Big money in 1986.

Thought we were getting a bargain. Former PFA young player of the year scored goals in the top flight. Was a fat slow lump. Going back Cheetham and Dave Shipperley were rank signings.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Jul 2014 19:37

Craig Maskell @ 1/4 million?

Dont remember him being up to much.

Although 26 goals in 70-ish games suggests otherwise

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 07 Jul 2014 22:50

AthleticoSpizz Craig Maskell @ 1/4 million?

Dont remember him being up to much.

Although 26 goals in 70-ish games suggests otherwise

Didn't we make a small profit when we sold him?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Jul 2014 23:32

Glen Little free transfer.

That's what I call good business.

EarleyRoyal16

by EarleyRoyal16 » 08 Jul 2014 10:39

Haven't looked through the thread so probably already been mentioned, but Gunter for £2.5 million was a bargain in my opinion. Obviously big money for our club but in terms of what he's brought and how good he's been he's definitely a successful big money signing.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 08 Jul 2014 12:07

Have any of our big money sales gone on to achieve success?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Jul 2014 12:20

Royal Biscuitman Have any of our big money sales gone on to achieve success?

Depends how far back you go - Kerry Dixon, Lawrie Sanchez, Neil Webb, Keith Curle - they all did alright.....

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 08 Jul 2014 13:23

So we are pretty much all in agreement. McD and our scouts over the last decade aren't good enough to be trusted with big money and we should stick to the cheap players because the witless bastards get more of a shot to find a decent player.