BFTG - Huddersfield (H)

135 posts
MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

BFTG - Huddersfield (H)

by MmmMonsterMunch » 19 Aug 2014 22:58

Well I really enjoyed that 2nd half. Defensive errors cost us but very hard to be angry after that.

Hector MOTM for me despite the error.

Obita shouldn't be in CM - doesn't suit him.

Oh and that Wells is some player. Can't see him being in the chump for long.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Huddersfield (H)

by Simon's Church » 19 Aug 2014 23:06

[quote="MmmMonsterMunch"
Hector MOTM[/quote]

Definitely. Best cb we've had since upson.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 19 Aug 2014 23:07

Lack of ideas in midfield first half summed up by the passing stats, all sideways.

Akpan :x for his error. But improved second half, still would prefer a better midfielder bought if we can though.

This is due to their being no genuine midfielder there.

The difference was palpable once Kuhl came on, finally someone in midfield playing forward passes and playing in the wingers, this was reinforced with some more energy with Mackie and Tanner.

Gunter was weak today, needs to be better than that as well.

Overall Team performance was poor, but some positives to take from the second half.

JordCot

by JordCot » 19 Aug 2014 23:08

ZacNaloen
Akpan :x for his error

oxf*rd that, that was all down to Hectors pass

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Aug 2014 23:09

One of those days. An early error from Hector cost us and from then on Huddersfield were content to make us try to hurt them. I thought we were always in it at 1-0 but concedeing that second did for us. Wayward shots. Dodgy refereeing and huddersfield time wasting after 35 minutes.

Akapan escapegoated from what I can see. He wasn't great again, but nowhere near as bad as many will say so I'm going to lay off him despite his flaws.

The left flank was a problem with cummings right footed and Taylor wanting to tuck in. We looked better with Obita back there. Decent debut from Kuhl, nothing to special. His sort though is more dependent on others to be able to play well than others are.

Mackie didn't impress but the game was largely a lost cause and I'm not gonna judge him on that.

Sure we had a nailed on penalty for Akpan.

We'll get rezults like that plenty this season. The thing to remember is its good learning experiences for the kids who'll get better with experience.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 19 Aug 2014 23:09

I'd agree with that if the ball wasn't at Akpans feet. He needs to be able to take ball under pressure at this level, Hector had every right to play that pass and expect Akpan to be able to shield the ball.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 19 Aug 2014 23:10

I like the cut of Kuhl's jib. Will be stunned if he doesn't start on Sat.

Credit to Adkins - he made the right subs again tonight I thought. They gave it their all & you can't ask for a lot more. As someone said on another thread, there'll be ups & downs but I'm confident we'll come good in the end.

Just getting Guthrie & McCleary back will do wonders for that starting 11.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 19 Aug 2014 23:11

JordCot
ZacNaloen

+1 on that. Hector made a bad decision for that pass. After that he was fcuking epic though. Didn't put a foot wrong.

JordCot

by JordCot » 19 Aug 2014 23:11

ZacNaloen I'd agree with that if the ball wasn't at Akpans feet. He needs to be able to take ball under pressure at this level, Hector had every right to play that pass and expect Akpan to be able to shield the ball.

Hector can see the whole pitch and should never have passed to him, there was just no need for that pass.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Aug 2014 23:12

JordCot
ZacNaloen

For the first goal this all day long. Terrible soft pass playing Akpan into a world of trouble. Not sure what happened for the second, but it looked poor.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 19 Aug 2014 23:13

Not having this.

JordCot

by JordCot » 19 Aug 2014 23:13

MmmMonsterMunch
JordCot
ZacNaloen

+1 on that. Hector made a bad decision for that pass. After that he was fcuking epic though. Didn't put a foot wrong.

I thought he played well considering his early mistake but his decision making was a bit suspect at times i.e. constantly getting rolled by the impressive Wells. He will get better at that with game time but looks very good in general

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 19 Aug 2014 23:14

First of all you have to give Huddersfield some credit for that first half performance, they closed us down well played some neat stuff and took advantage of our defensive shambles. The first was an under hit pass from Hector and Akpan was robbed of the ball, before you knew it Butterworth curled the ball into the far corner.

The second was typical of Gunter failing to get a challenge in or stop the shot, then Feds pretending he wasn't there and what looked like a very saveable shot and it's 2-0.

Second half I think Adkins got the subs right, it's clear that Obita is not a midfielder. When he went to right back and Kuhl came on, not only did we look a lot better shape and started to create chance but Akpan also looked more comfortable. Huddersfield had decided to blatently time waste and fall over and despite the ref pointing to his watch to indicate he was adding it on, I don't think he did enough given the systematic nature they did it for every dead ball. Our goal came from another attempt (by Bunn?) to timewaste but this time the ref played on and we score. Lols at him.

From the whole second half performance I thought we deserved at least a draw, but we never seemed to get the rub of the green with ref. He seemed to have different standards for ref kicks we conceded or got.

Still it was encouraging to see the academy players generally perform well, although I have trouble telling Cox, Taylor and Tanner apart.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 19 Aug 2014 23:16

I guess I need to see the replay, looked to me like Akpan had received the ball and failed to protect it.

yappy

by yappy » 19 Aug 2014 23:17

Having Federici and Hector in the team has definitely helped us with playing the ball around the back and I think that will benefit us in the long run. Midfield is the obvious cause for concern. Akpan is not adventurous enough for me, always plays the simple pass, whereas we really need someone who isn't scared to make a pass or take a risk. Obita, as alluded above, I don't think is a central midfielder. It's an annoying one as we do have the personnel just unfortunately our first three choice midfielders are all injured! I really think McCleary and Williams in today's team would've made a big difference.

A lot of credit to Aaron Kuhl, thought he was excellent. Although I think it's a little harsh on Cummings, I would start Obita at left back against Forest and start Kuhl. Tanner I also thought was good, although I wouldn't have taken off Blackman as I thought he looked fairly dangerous.

Some pleasing passages of play tonight, just have to be a bit patient for new signings, players returning from injury and the youngsters coming through and hopefully we can have a good season.

Maybe being a little harsh but wasn't too impressed by Coxy tonight. A lot of battle and energy, but seems a bit slow and wasn't creating enough for my liking. Did take his goal well though.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 19 Aug 2014 23:18

ZacNaloen I guess I need to see the replay, looked to me like Akpan had received the ball and failed to protect it.

Nope the pass was definitely bad & Akpan didn't have enough time to get on the ball. If the pass was slightly quicker, he may have been able to keep hold of it but even then it was risky.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 19 Aug 2014 23:18

Oh yeh, Cox seems to have a Piano on his back don't remember him being that slow. Easily outpaced by huddersfields defenders on a number of occasions.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 19 Aug 2014 23:19

We really lack composure in front of goal... hoping we bring in another striker before the end of the window.

I feel for Pog - he is working his nuts off but nothing is falling quite right for him.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 19 Aug 2014 23:21

ZacNaloen I'd agree with that if the ball wasn't at Akpans feet. He needs to be able to take ball under pressure at this level, Hector had every right to play that pass and expect Akpan to be able to shield the ball.

No chance, that was an awful ball from Hector (one of very, very many). It wasn't strong enough to allow Akpan to take it and shield it, and Akpan was still with the attacker moving in.

Hector was ace Saturday, but he was utter sh*te today. Repeatedly getting caught and playing some howlers.

I'm sure he'll be fine again next game, so happy to just chalk it up to one of them game

Jinx

by Jinx » 19 Aug 2014 23:21

I can't believe Pog doesn't control all those "passes" that are smashed at his face/neck/chest

135 posts