Nigel Adkin's post game interview /Derby

Armadillo Roadkill

Re: Nigel Adkin's post game interview /Derby

by Armadillo Roadkill » 19 Oct 2014 13:31

I thought it was a reasonable, open and honest interview. He acknowledged the fact that defensively we are dreadful and took responsibility for it. He indicated that it sends the wrong signal to keep the same back four after all the gaols they've shipped recently.

Short of saying the whole team is crap, we're all doomed, let's get ready for League 1, I don't see what more he could say.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 Oct 2014 16:00

I think you just have to accept that some fans will always be dissatisfied unless we're winning the league ... the good thing is that even though this minority is very loud, it seems to me that the majority are clearly behind the manager. I have definitely enjoyed the football a lot more this season that for a while - sort out the defence and I think we could have a very decent team ....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Oct 2014 16:13

Royalwaster I think you just have to accept that some fans will always be dissatisfied unless we're winning the league ... the good thing is that even though this minority is very loud, it seems to me that the majority are clearly behind the manager. I have definitely enjoyed the football a lot more this season that for a while - sort out the defence and I think we could have a very decent team ....

Here we go again, the usual suspects making things up to suit their agenda, painting those who merely want to see some sign of improvement as being unreasonable. No nobody expects us to be "winning the league"! They expect us to be better than we are 20 months after we appointed a manager whose "superior style" was hyped up beyond belief on his arrival. "He hasn't had money to spend", well maybe not but he certainly has not got a poor squad for this division either.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 19 Oct 2014 16:13

Royalwaster I think you just have to accept that some fans will always be dissatisfied unless we're winning the league ... the good thing is that even though this minority is very loud, it seems to me that the majority are clearly behind the manager. I have definitely enjoyed the football a lot more this season that for a while - sort out the defence and I think we could have a very decent team ....

Exactly what part of not winning in our last five games have you enjoyed most.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 19 Oct 2014 17:40

I think you'll find there is no "majority" any more. I would say the swingometer is around 50-50 at present so we need to see improvement. I know we have injuries but two weeks ago we were "Hopefull of having one or two back after the international break" In fact, we had less as Guthrie, who had made the bench and a brief appearance beforehand , was nowhere to be seen yesterday like all the rest.

quickwingerswife

Can you believe Adkins?

by quickwingerswife » 19 Oct 2014 20:24

Can't believe what Adder is saying after another dreadful display. He's putting all the blame on the team, particularly the defenders. He raved about Derby County before the game, how did that sound to players, staff and supporters? He looks a man obsessed with statistics and fear about opponents. I saw a game with so many Reading players afraid to make a mistake, and I saw a result that confirmed a Manager used to making mistakes, and blaming others. Go now please, Adder. New Manager, leave out the egotistical Murray, put Hector in front of the back four, show Pearce how to run without flat feet, get a good number 6 defender,Obita to left midfield for his quality attacking and crossing, get a proper left back. Inspire Pog with some belief that he is ideal for this league. Give Norwood the brief to run games rather do bits and pieces for the cameras. Kick some arses of players who seem content to lay on the treatment table, and seem to prefer their Saturdays being about Sickly Come Dancing. Supporters, start singing before we get going and not wait until we are winning, what are you afraid of? Watching bolloqs football at moment and paying 25 quid a time, what a rip off.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Can you believe Adkins?

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Oct 2014 20:30

feel your pain "wifee"

but the magic wand aint quite doing its stuff just yet.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Oct 2014 21:02

We don't need Guthrie back - we need a midfielder who can tackle and pass the ball in a brisk manner.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 19 Oct 2014 21:05

To sort out the defence (immediately) he would need to be bold and drop at least 2 of the 4 defenders as well as look to strengthen via the loan market.

Can't see that happening

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Oct 2014 22:18

I am sure 'Adders' (WTF!) would love to be able to do many of the things you suggest. However, the owners need to release the purse strings first. Without that, where do you suggest he or any manager you might want to see, would get the players from that you say we need?

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 19 Oct 2014 22:47

quickwingerswife Can't believe what Adder is saying after another dreadful display. He's putting all the blame on the team, particularly the defenders. He raved about Derby County before the game, how did that sound to players, staff and supporters? He looks a man obsessed with statistics and fear about opponents. I saw a game with so many Reading players afraid to make a mistake, and I saw a result that confirmed a Manager used to making mistakes, and blaming others. Go now please, Adder. New Manager, leave out the egotistical Murray, put Hector in front of the back four, show Pearce how to run without flat feet, get a good number 6 defender,Obita to left midfield for his quality attacking and crossing, get a proper left back. Inspire Pog with some belief that he is ideal for this league. Give Norwood the brief to run games rather do bits and pieces for the cameras. Kick some arses of players who seem content to lay on the treatment table, and seem to prefer their Saturdays being about Sickly Come Dancing. Supporters, start singing before we get going and not wait until we are winning, what are you afraid of? Watching bolloqs football at moment and paying 25 quid a time, what a rip off.

Im sure you've heard what people say about lies, damn lies & stiatistics m8 :)

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 19 Oct 2014 23:21

quickwingerswife Can't believe what Adder is saying after another dreadful display. He's putting all the blame on the team, particularly the defenders.

Seems fair enough to me, the defenders are a shambles TBH

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 20 Oct 2014 00:40

The purse strings are released, there is very little money though.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 20 Oct 2014 08:24

AthleticoSpizz He (NA) was instrumental in getting them there tho'.

Write this season off folks....most of us already had before August....mid table will do, thank you.

Next season, correct funding and more back-up, judge the guy then.....he's already on a downer with himself

But this is what everyone was saying last season though...

"First season in the Championship, let him settle and judge him from next season"

When will it end :cry:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Oct 2014 08:54

quickwingerswife Can't believe what Adder is saying after another dreadful display. He's putting all the blame on the team, particularly the defenders. He raved about Derby County before the game, how did that sound to players, staff and supporters? He looks a man obsessed with statistics and fear about opponents. I saw a game with so many Reading players afraid to make a mistake, and I saw a result that confirmed a Manager used to making mistakes, and blaming others. Go now please, Adder. New Manager, leave out the egotistical Murray, put Hector in front of the back four, show Pearce how to run without flat feet, get a good number 6 defender,Obita to left midfield for his quality attacking and crossing, get a proper left back. Inspire Pog with some belief that he is ideal for this league. Give Norwood the brief to run games rather do bits and pieces for the cameras. Kick some arses of players who seem content to lay on the treatment table, and seem to prefer their Saturdays being about Sickly Come Dancing. Supporters, start singing before we get going and not wait until we are winning, what are you afraid of? Watching bolloqs football at moment and paying 25 quid a time, what a rip off.

:| Can't believe I carried on reading after this bit tbh.

He has scored 3 goals in 7 games, pretty good return tbh, tbf. Would have been 4 in 7 had it not been for the width of the crossbar.

tobeornottobe

by tobeornottobe » 20 Oct 2014 09:16

Only 9 points off 1st place... :o

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2014 09:35

AbovetheI
AthleticoSpizz He (NA) was instrumental in getting them there tho'.

Write this season off folks....most of us already had before August....mid table will do, thank you.

Next season, correct funding and more back-up, judge the guy then.....he's already on a downer with himself

But this is what everyone was saying last season though...

"First season in the Championship, let him settle and judge him from next season"

When will it end :cry:

Probably once he (wrongly) gets sacked, and we can foist unrealistic expectations, in a competitive division, on the next poor sod who manages Reading.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 20 Oct 2014 09:56

Royality creeps In

Exactly what part of not winning in our last five games have you enjoyed most.

Watching some decent football rather than hoofball; watching several academy players being given a go in the team .... obviously not enjoyed watching them lose, but who does? By some people's logic on this board, every manager other than the ones in the top 6 should get sacked. I think for a team who not long ago looked like going into administration; sold some of their best players over the summer and picked up a few on the cheap, and have had an incredible injury crisis, we're not doing badly at all.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Oct 2014 10:31

2011/12: after 12 games we were 14th with 16 points, 10 points off top
2014/15: after 12 games we are 16th with 15 points, 9 points off top

#justsayin

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2014 10:55

sandman

Here we go again, the usual suspects making things up to suit their agenda, painting those who merely want to see some sign of improvement as being unreasonable. No nobody expects us to be "winning the league"! They expect us to be better than we are 20 months after we appointed a manager whose "superior style" was hyped up beyond belief on his arrival. "He hasn't had money to spend", well maybe not but he certainly has not got a poor squad for this division either.

Very disingenuous. The 'squad' goes from 'above average' to 'below average' when you consider our injury problems.

The 'usual suspects' are just a balance to other 'usual suspects' who will want us to play like Barca before admitting that there have been some positive signs in the football that we have played - with largely a second-string midfield and two new strikers.