BFTG - Huddersfield

bassavage

BFTG - Huddersfield

by bassavage » 03 Jan 2015 21:16

Good result, dire game. Nothing of note for pretty much the entire game. Only attempt on target by eeither sidewas the goal which was down to some decent build up and a good finish by Blackman.

Cox as a lone striker doesn't work. He works hard but he gets dominated by centre halves in the air and the ball just keeps coming back.

Another defensively solid performance but I'm not sure if that was because of us or because they were dire. Either way a good result and into the next round!

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

Re: BFTG - Huddersfield

by LWJ » 03 Jan 2015 21:40

Pretty terrible in the first half, thankfully we never looked troubled by a poor huddesfield team.

Clarke's change at h/t as perfect in a) Mackie would have been sent off later in the game
And
B) meant we played a 4411 which have us higher pressing and a quicker counter attack/pace attacking option

I hope Clarke sees that 5 man midfields don't work with Guthrie Williams and Norwood who all wanted to play in the same part of the pitch.

Overall happy with the result and hope this spurs us on

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 03 Jan 2015 21:43

In 40 years of watching Reading, that was the worst performance in winning an away game I've ever seen,

Without Murray we are hopelessly lacking up front, it's imperative we either sign him or a decent alternative.

Steady defensively though

Niko

by Niko » 03 Jan 2015 21:51

First half was dire to the point of farce, summed up by a terrible free kick at the end which was our only shot up to that point...

The defence coped with everything they could throw at us, which wasn't a lot. Seemed to have problems clearing our lines, though. Samuel coming on at the end seemed to help as it prevented them from being able to build up from the back, he was running around like a mad man and it nearly ended up putting him through 1 on 1 with the keeper.

Apart from that, not really much to report on, the goal was a good move with a decent (if rather easy) finish. The red card incident was handbags at dawn, Not sure how Williams deserved a yellow but the ref was shocking in general.
Last edited by Niko on 03 Jan 2015 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 03 Jan 2015 21:58

Schards#2 In 40 years of watching Reading, that was the worst performance in winning an away game I've ever seen,

Without Murray we are hopelessly lacking up front, it's imperative we either sign him or a decent alternative.

Steady defensively though

The perfect away game. Don't let the home team have a sniff of a chance then pinch a goal at the other end. :D

Not pretty but effective.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 03 Jan 2015 21:58

Much as has already been reported. An absolutely dreadful game in which we were probably he better of the two. The atmosphere on the moon above the opposite stand was better than that at the ground. Mind you Huddersfield had bugger all to lift the crowd.
Anderson had sweet FA to do. Having said that their keeper was pretty redundant as well.
The referee didn't help the flow of the game. The Huddersfield players spent more time feigning injury than they did playing and the ref fell for it. He also appeared to have it in for Mackie and I am sure he was itching to brandish a red card in his direction until substituted.

The only other moment of note was when a Huddersfield player decided to start a fight with Struggle Pig up the other end.
There was a bit of a skirmish and the ref finally found someone to send off. LOL.

We will play a LOT better and lose.
Still onwards and upwards

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 03 Jan 2015 22:40

bassavage Another defensively solid performance but I'm not sure if that was because of us or because they were dire. Either way a good result and into the next round!

BBC RB coverage was incredibly positive about our defence.

bassavage

by bassavage » 03 Jan 2015 22:46

RG7Fan
bassavage Another defensively solid performance but I'm not sure if that was because of us or because they were dire. Either way a good result and into the next round!

BBC RB coverage was incredibly positive about our defence.

They never look like scoring however I think a lot of that was to do with how poor they were. Having said that we do look much more solid and the defensive shape of the side does actually look half decent at the moment.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 03 Jan 2015 22:54

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30668001

'Highlights' = headed miss by Huddersfield, good looking goal by Reading, pretty petty fight

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Jan 2015 23:02

Ginger Ninjas http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30668001

'Highlights' = headed miss by Huddersfield, good looking goal by Reading, pretty petty fight

Sensible defensive move from Williams, hold him close so he can't swing. Their player should have had a straight red for grabbing Williams round the throat.

Prior to that it was all bit of a weird over-reaction. Hector appeared to go down like he was kicked in the ankles but with virtually no contact, if any, certainly nothing violent or deliberate. Then Williams refuses to give the ball back and shoves the player trying to take it, leading to the "fight" and that player trying to wrestle with him.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 03 Jan 2015 23:51

Highlights on BBC website are very brief for a very good reason.....Only 3 things really happened! Their missed header, goal and the handbags that led to red card. However, I thought we defended very well and are clearly looking more solid/organised....Just need a bit more creativity at times, but then again I'm sure that'll come in time.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Jan 2015 00:29

This Huddersfield fan I know reckons HRK could have been sent off a couple times in the first half, is that true or did he somehow confuse HRK and Mackie?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Jan 2015 07:48

Mackiec certainly lost it in the first half, constantly arguing at the ref (who did have a bit of an odd game). He was rightly booked for a wild tackle, although an identical tackle in the second half by a Huddersfield player was let go)

Can't recall HRK doing anything worthy of a red, although given how often and easily Huddersfield players collapsed on the ground you could have been forgiven we we are bunch of assassins.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Jan 2015 07:49

Huddersfield fans on twitter been moaning about us cheating.

Struggle Pig

by Struggle Pig » 04 Jan 2015 08:01

Royality creeps In Much as has already been reported. An absolutely dreadful game in which we were probably he better of the two. The atmosphere on the moon above the opposite stand was better than that at the ground. Mind you Huddersfield had bugger all to lift the crowd.
Anderson had sweet FA to do. Having said that their keeper was pretty redundant as well.
The referee didn't help the flow of the game. The Huddersfield players spent more time feigning injury than they did playing and the ref fell for it. He also appeared to have it in for Mackie and I am sure he was itching to brandish a red card in his direction until substituted.

The only other moment of note was when a Huddersfield player decided to start a fight with Struggle Pig up the other end.
There was a bit of a skirmish and the ref finally found someone to send off. LOL.

We will play a LOT better and lose.
Still onwards and upwards

No one messes with Struggle Pig :twisted:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Jan 2015 08:08

Our highlights on Match of the Day must have been about half an hour long with all this cheating we're supposed to have done.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Jan 2015 10:26

Pepe the Horseman Huddersfield fans on twitter been moaning about us cheating.

It was generally a niggly game. We were in the ref's face a lot, too often for my liking. A few times we held on to the ball after a decision, or kicked the ball away. Not sure it it was deliberate tactics or not.
But Huddersfield were playing the gamesmanship card too. Almost every time we put in a tackle they went to ground and made it look like we were really roughing them up, which we weren't.
In both cases I don't think the approach helped the game in any way, and if Clarke is wanting us to become a bit 'nastier' I think he's misguided , or not making it clear what he wants. You rarely profit by getting on the wrong side of the ref and Mackie was a bit of an idiot, a player who forces his manager to take him off at half time to avoid a red card needs to think about his contribution to the team.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 04 Jan 2015 11:09

Dull game, we time wasted a little, they went down like sacks of shit constantly the bastards. Decent goal. 'Fight' was funny. Nothing else of note really.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 04 Jan 2015 11:33

Nameless

It was generally a niggly game. We were in the ref's face a lot, too often for my liking. A few times we held on to the ball after a decision, or kicked the ball away. Not sure it it was deliberate tactics or not.
But Huddersfield were playing the gamesmanship card too. Almost every time we put in a tackle they went to ground and made it look like we were really roughing them up, which we weren't.
In both cases I don't think the approach helped the game in any way, and if Clarke is wanting us to become a bit 'nastier' I think he's misguided , or not making it clear what he wants. You rarely profit by getting on the wrong side of the ref and Mackie was a bit of an idiot, a player who forces his manager to take him off at half time to avoid a red card needs to think about his contribution to the team.

Tbf him going off helped us play a lot better so he should be proud of himself for it

JordCot

by JordCot » 04 Jan 2015 11:43

Nameless

Tbf as Dellor was so keen to point out for seemingly no reason in the 1st half they had a few players booked for time wasting when we played at home. Dirty Cheats...