17%
No
83%

Total votes: 52
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Nick(y) Hammond

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Mar 2015 15:06

He's outlived four managers, and the fifth one isn't exactly covering himself in glory at the moment. Not sure how much he had to do with Clarke coming in, but iirc he was heavily involved in the other appointments.

A lot of people slating our recent signings. We all know what a good job he does selling players, but not so much when it comes to buying players. The Murray deal in particular seems to have been one big fcuk up. And if his hands are tied over transfers, then what exactly does he do?

So, should we start escapegoating Squeaky?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Nick(y) Hammond

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Mar 2015 15:19

Nope. Hands are tied by FFP & stupid contracts given by AZ. Has always done well getting a good return on players we sell.

Keep.

(Also bear in mind since McD became mgr, have we had someone as good doing our scouting?) The new head of recruitment will hopefully go some way to solving this.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Mar 2015 15:28

What does he do then? Doesn't/can't sign players. Not negotiating any new contracts.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Mar 2015 15:36

Pepe the Horseman He's outlived four managers, and the fifth one isn't exactly covering himself in glory at the moment. Not sure how much he had to do with Clarke coming in, but iirc he was heavily involved in the other appointments.

A lot of people slating our recent signings. We all know what a good job he does selling players, but not so much when it comes to buying players. The Murray deal in particular seems to have been one big fcuk up. And if his hands are tied over transfers, then what exactly does he do?

So, should we start escapegoating Squeaky?

No

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Mar 2015 15:37

Pepe the Horseman What does he do then? Doesn't/can't sign players. Not negotiating any new contracts.

As I already said, gets good £ for players that leave. Deals with the contract / negotiation stuff well when he's left to get on with his job. Not his fault AZ started playing championship manager.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Mar 2015 15:51

Pepe the Horseman What does he do then? Doesn't/can't sign players. Not negotiating any new contracts.

So far this season, we've signed
Norwood
Cox
Ferdinand
Yakubu
Travner

Plus Murray & Mackie on loan.

We've loaned out
Drenthe
Samuel
Tanner
Tshibola
Dickie
Hyam

Plus sold ALF, Morro, Cummings & Drenthe

We've extended contracts for Hector amongst several others.

I'd say that's plenty for him to do personally. Would we like better players? Absolutely. But we can't magic money out of thin air, so we'll have to rely on Hammond continuing to try to make what we've got go as far as possible. Something he's pretty good at. Although lots of people are involved in the signings business for the club, from the scouts, through Hammond to the coaching staff and board.

SapperBRoyal

by SapperBRoyal » 01 Mar 2015 17:04

For my money, Hammond is the only member of the executive consistently adding value for a decade. We will never fully understand the relationships he has had to build, the pride he has had to swallow, the wheeling and dealing he has had to accomplish in order to paper over the cracks. He's rarely in the limelight, rarely gets the credit, and yet two 'big' takeover organisations have quickly realised that his acumen, experience and network is too valuable to let go somewhere else. And make no mistake, should he and his big tin of turd polish ever get laid off, it would be to the advantage of another club in our division, possibly one looking to consolidate in the Prem. Hammond's headlines have come from selling well, because we are a selling club. Were the situation to ever change, who knows?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Mar 2015 17:17

What did you vote Pepe?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 01 Mar 2015 18:15

Ian Royal

Norwood
Cox
Ferdinand
Yakubu
Travner

We've loaned out
Drenthe
Samuel
Tanner
Tshibola
Dickie
Hyam

I'd say that's plenty for him to do personally. Would we like better players? Absolutely. But we can't magic money out of thin air, so we'll have to rely on Hammond continuing to try to make what we've got go as far as possible. Something he's pretty good at. Although lots of people are involved in the signings business for the club, from the scouts, through Hammond to the coaching staff and board.

And sold McCarthy

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Mar 2015 18:50

SapperBRoyal For my money, Hammond is the only member of the executive consistently adding value for a decade. We will never fully understand the relationships he has had to build, the pride he has had to swallow, the wheeling and dealing he has had to accomplish in order to paper over the cracks. He's rarely in the limelight, rarely gets the credit, and yet two 'big' takeover organisations have quickly realised that his acumen, experience and network is too valuable to let go somewhere else. And make no mistake, should he and his big tin of turd polish ever get laid off, it would be to the advantage of another club in our division, possibly one looking to consolidate in the Prem. Hammond's headlines have come from selling well, because we are a selling club. Were the situation to ever change, who knows?

Good post.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Mar 2015 20:04

AthleticoSpizz What did you vote Pepe?

I haven't voted yet. I'm waiting to see who the majority go with, and then siding with them.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Mar 2015 20:12

Phuket, I was going to suggest that you were having a mare etc etc 8)

Moonfish

by Moonfish » 01 Mar 2015 20:18

For me Steve Clarke is a first team coach, not a manager. He doesn't need to devote his time to negotiating contracts, buying and selling, talking to agents etc. That's not where his strenghths lie, and for that reason he needs someone with Hammond's experience at the club.

Faithful Son

by Faithful Son » 01 Mar 2015 20:28

I'm puzzled why people are criticising Squeaky and blaming him for our bad signings. I may be wrong but doesn't the manager choose the players we go for? I thought Hammond's job is to then do the negotiating on the club's behalf. Is this not the case? If it's not then I can finally understand why the club is in such a state. We have somebody buying players the manager doesn't want.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Mar 2015 20:53

3points
Ian Royal

Norwood
Cox
Ferdinand
Yakubu
Travner

We've loaned out
Drenthe
Samuel
Tanner
Tshibola
Dickie
Hyam

And sold McCarthy

So Hammond is definitely worth keeping.

SapperBRoyal

by SapperBRoyal » 02 Mar 2015 22:39

Faithful Son I'm puzzled why people are criticising Squeaky and blaming him for our bad signings. I may be wrong but doesn't the manager choose the players we go for? I thought Hammond's job is to then do the negotiating on the club's behalf. Is this not the case? If it's not then I can finally understand why the club is in such a state. We have somebody buying players the manager doesn't want.

He does the best he can with what he has in terms of resource and direction. He does not make the policy. If we had a bit of money (enough to stand a chance of keeping our better players, and investment in potential where we found it) and some continuity, we could build again with Hammond in the picture. Throw peanuts and broken promises at this and the implosion could continue unabated, Hammond or not.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Mar 2015 22:43

Pepe the Horseman
AthleticoSpizz What did you vote Pepe?

I haven't voted yet. I'm waiting to see who the majority go with, and then siding with them.

Good man!

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1