No
16%

Total votes: 90
wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Steve Clake - New Poll

by wingnut » 16 Apr 2015 20:18

Ian Royal
wingnut The fans had as much to do with Adkins going as they did with Brian and Rodgers going - absolutely nothing at all.
There was no groundswell of opinion shown at the stadium against any of them. As has been shown many times, the collected "wisdom" of this site does not reflect the feelings of all supporters.

Revisionist nonsense.

Loads of booing of Rodgers. Particularly QPR away, but certainly at home too.
McDermott was booed plenty at the end but he was always going to get it fairly restrained because of his successes.
Adkins had a fair few games of booing at the end... the turn had definitely happened. The club just moved quickly as soon as an excuse result came up.

Sorry Ian, that's absolute horseshit. Fans booing a performance at the end of 90 minutes does not equate to those same fans wanting the manager to go. There were loads of boos after the recent Wigan game and I don't suppose more than a tiny fraction wanted Clarke out.

My main point, though - although poorly expressed - was that whether or not a majority of fans wanted those managers out (and I don't think that was the case at the time of any of those dismissals) , that was not either a reason or, indeed, a factor in the club's decision to get rid of them
Last edited by wingnut on 16 Apr 2015 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 16 Apr 2015 20:20

Ian Royal
sandman He didn't exactly get positive reactions either. Most people just didn't take to him and I've heard far more songs during games that back Clarke than there ever was with Adkins.

There were chants backing Adkins virtually every game you deaf plank.

Make your mind up.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Apr 2015 20:30

Stay classy Ian. The chants that Adkins did get were extremely half hearted.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Apr 2015 21:35

Ian Royal If Clarke didn't want to be crippled by having no decent strikers Hoop, maybe he shouldn't have signed two shit ones and a shit defender then.

In full agreement with IR again!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Apr 2015 22:10

That's because you two seem to be unable to acknowledge that there are at least some justifiable reasons for him to have been sacked.

Even winchester_royal, who was one of his biggest supporters, recognises that Adkins probably needed to go.

Let's not do what we did with Brian and rake over the coals again and again for months and months. Quite frankly it's not worth the hassle and the sum total of Nigel's contribution to the club when he was here, unlike the previous situation with Brian, most definitely isn't worth it.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 17 Apr 2015 08:57

Have to say I'm a "gotta give people time" kinda guy. Brian probably should have had another season in the champ. Adkins should have had at least to the end of this season or perhaps been allowed a decent stab at the transfer market.

Not keen on booting folk out too hastily.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Apr 2015 11:13

RoyalBlue
Ian Royal If Clarke didn't want to be crippled by having no decent strikers Hoop, maybe he shouldn't have signed two shit ones and a shit defender then.

In full agreement with IR again!

I'd agree to a certain extent too, but with very little budget to play with I'm not sure Clarke would've had many more options unfortunately.

Goalscorers don't come cheap.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 17 Apr 2015 11:35

winchester_royal The whole playing side of the club needs a thoroughly good shake up. I think Clarke has shown enough awareness of this to be able to enact it, and he has the experience and coaching expertise to do a fine job of doing it. He's popular with the fans, the FA cup run has seen to that, so hopefully we'll give him the time he needs to make a success of it.

In his interview Thursday last week he said he knew what the problems were but that it wasnt going to point them out publicly. Also today on BBCRB he talked about refreshing the team in the summer. I didnt hear the SJM/Thai interview so dont know if they talked about £ being available this summer.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 17 Apr 2015 12:29

That

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 17 Apr 2015 12:31

sandman Stay classy Ian. The chants that Adkins did get were extremely half hearted.
Last edited by Lacoste on 17 Apr 2015 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 17 Apr 2015 12:34

RG7Fan
winchester_royal The whole playing side of the club needs a thoroughly good shake up. I think Clarke has shown enough awareness of this to be able to enact it, and he has the experience and coaching expertise to do a fine job of doing it. He's popular with the fans, the FA cup run has seen to that, so hopefully we'll give him the time he needs to make a success of it.

In his interview Thursday last week he said he knew what the problems were but that it wasnt going to point them out publicly. Also today on BBCRB he talked about refreshing the team in the summer. I didnt hear the SJM/Thai interview so dont know if they talked about £ being available this summer.

Where can I find these interviews please?

Hat-trick :mrgreen:

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 17 Apr 2015 14:13

Lacoste
RG7Fan

Where can I find these interviews please?

Hat-trick :mrgreen:

Transcript here
http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... -5-9010357

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Apr 2015 16:51

wingnut
Ian Royal
sandman He didn't exactly get positive reactions either. Most people just didn't take to him and I've heard far more songs during games that back Clarke than there ever was with Adkins.

There were chants backing Adkins virtually every game you deaf plank.

Make your mind up.

I appreciate it might seem inconsistent, but for a long time Adkins got plenty of support from a vocal section of the crowd, I believe at least partly as a reaction to the extreme negativity from another section. And it was certainly not half-hearted. Sandman couldn't be object on the subject if he tried. 'Virtually' every game, given he managed us for 80, still leaves plenty for the fans to have turned on him at the end. But in his last few weeks that support had died away, the boos and discontent were becoming more frequent, loud and noticeable in comparison.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 17 Apr 2015 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Apr 2015 16:54

sandman That's because you two seem to be unable to acknowledge that there are at least some justifiable reasons for him to have been sacked.

Even winchester_royal, who was one of his biggest supporters, recognises that Adkins probably needed to go.

Let's not do what we did with Brian and rake over the coals again and again for months and months. Quite frankly it's not worth the hassle and the sum total of Nigel's contribution to the club when he was here, unlike the previous situation with Brian, most definitely isn't worth it.

I think you'll find that I'm on record saying that he wasn't doing a good enough job and that I couldn't argue with his sacking. I just wouldn't have made the call at that particular point. I don't think we were going down under him, anyway. And his replacement has done worse.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 19 Apr 2015 00:43

Slag him off now you sons of bitches! We would never have turned in a performance like that with Adkins.....

Immense

The future's bright. Bring on August.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 19 Apr 2015 01:07

True.

But Brian must have been sat there today thinking "I'd have won this"...

... And I'd be inclined to agree

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 19 Apr 2015 01:12

Cureton's Volley True.

I'd refer you to the time we were 4-0 up against them..... :wink:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 19 Apr 2015 07:51

Cureton's Volley True.

Possibly with Le Fondre up front we'd have taken one of the chances we missed. but we'd have lost the huge amount of work Pog put in. Who knows.
And how Brian would have stopped the second goal,I have no idea.
And under Brian would we have beaten Bradford in the first game ?
And as it happens Brian would have been sat there thinking 'we've won this', in his Arsenal blazer.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Apr 2015 09:09

Set us up perfectly against the arse and the players were brilliant.

But it's easy to be up and organised for an FA Cup semi. Lets see some progress in the league and that quality transferred to some points.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Apr 2015 09:41

MmmMonsterMunch Slag him off now you sons of bitches! We would never have turned in a performance like that with Adkins.....

Our performance against Liverpool under Adkins was better than yesterday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22049679

356 posts