Guthrie gone

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

Re: Guthrie gone

by peterroyal76 » 28 Mar 2015 10:21

I thought Brian told a story where he met Guthrie on a beach in Dubai and persuaded him to join us.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Mar 2015 10:56

Felt like Brian wanted him to play more like a no 10, or the top of the diamond in a midfield 4 (Matejovsky-esque). But Guthrie wanted to be at the base of the diamond picking the ball up off the back four and pinging hollywood passes. That was fine, but he was poor defensively in that role, and is why we conceded so many goals under Adkins with Guthrie in the team. Maybe Brian just got the wrong sense from the scouting reports.

The fact he picked up lots of yellow cards also indicated his defensive qualities were lacking (mainly due to a lack of pace, say compared to Chalobah, or physical presence compared to Legs).

Not sure how he will fit in with Scott Parker in central midfield. Perhaps Parker will leave in the summer and Guthrie will be his replacement?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Mar 2015 11:45

peterroyal76 I thought Brian told a story where he met Guthrie on a beach in Dubai and persuaded him to join us.

Brian also told a story about identifying Pog to Anton and that he'd signed everyone he wanted and got the money he asked for.

He then later claimed he had nothing to do with signing Pog and that he'd been given just £2.5m to spend (roughly the cost of just Gunter).

So sadly that means very little.

readingandProud

by readingandProud » 28 Mar 2015 19:24

gufrie was over rated pile of oxf*rd and a real tosser everyone knows that i hope he goes for good tobe honest with u

remember he didnt play one day hes a nasty peice of work h8 him

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Mar 2015 10:27

I'm glad that you're proud to be reading. Now try working on your writing.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 30 Mar 2015 21:52

Never seen a player kill the tempo and slow a game down so much just when you didnt need it.

sometimes looked like he was going backwards he was so slow.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 31 Mar 2015 08:03

SCIAG pushed himself too hard

:lol:

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 01 Apr 2015 10:46

don't need guthrie and norwood, prefer norwood out of the 2

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 01 Apr 2015 11:29

Thank feck for that!
Despite Pistol Pete having a man-crush on him, the rest of us (including the 3 managers during his time) all thought he was dross.
Guthrie's opinion of himself was a million miles away from what everyone else thought of him.
He slowed play down too much, tried to take unnecesary fancy touches, before passing it back or sideways. Offered nothing.
What is his best position? He's not a Carrick/ Pirlo type, he's not attacking (Gylfi), he's not box to box (Sidwell), he's not a winger (McCleary), he's not versatile. He can't tackle, he can't shoot, his passing range is limited (usually by taking an age on the ball).
He's a bad apple that threatened to rot the squad.
I hope McD sees him in the street and punches him out!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Apr 2015 15:33

I dunno, I think people have let the Sunderland incident guide their opinion of Guthrie who at the very least is a good Championship player, perhaps he just doesn't suit our current style of play and he does seem to have an attitude problem, I wouldn't say he is a bad influence but does get that rush of blood to the head that some players get.

Not a big loss by any means, we already have Williams, Akpan and Norwood, perhaps Jem if we give him another year as well as promising youngsters in Kuhl and Stacey who will benefit from there being one less midfielder in front of them in the pecking order.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 01 Apr 2015 16:00

He might be a bit of a helmet, but he's a good midfielder, and if utilised right will benefit any top end Championship team. I always thought he'd be ideal for Adkins with his possession football, but that didn't prove to be the case. He's had more than a few fallouts here, he's on big big wages, and our style of play still doesn't suit him, so moving him on and off the books is great for all concerned.

File under 'wont be missed' and 'replaceable for a fraction of the price'.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 02 Apr 2015 08:55

My guess is that Brian, new to the whole game really, took some advice about the big time and wanted to show he wasn't a push over, perhaps he saw Guthrie as a bit of a Prem diva that he needed to excerpt some control over. Guthrie perhaps reacted badly and it went downhill from there.

As a fan, I think it was easy to give Guthrie a break as we seemed so shit in midfield and on paper we appeared to have a solution sat on the bench not getting a decent enough shot to grow into the side. But not knowing was was going on backstage its a conversation which polarises people as we lack any clarity on the situation. So people just fall into their tribes.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 03 Apr 2015 22:11

Guthrie stars in home debut for Fulham as they crash 4-1 at home to little old Brentford

Surely on the brink of that England call up he feels he's worth :mrgreen: