Why supporting Reading is better than supporting Arsenal

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Why supporting Reading is better than supporting Arsenal

by Big Foot » 22 Apr 2015 13:04

genome
Winchester Royal Arsenal's equivalent of Saturday would probably be the 2005 CL Final and the 2000 UEFA Cup final. (Both of which they lost)

Closest equivalent I'd say. They were already a title-winning club at those points, whereas we have never experienced anything of the sort.

2005/06
2011/12

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 22 Apr 2015 13:05

particularly good to have Kes on this thread

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Apr 2015 13:06

Big Foot
genome
Winchester Royal Arsenal's equivalent of Saturday would probably be the 2005 CL Final and the 2000 UEFA Cup final. (Both of which they lost)

Closest equivalent I'd say. They were already a title-winning club at those points, whereas we have never experienced anything of the sort.

2005/06
2011/12

Premier League, you helm.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 22 Apr 2015 13:09

genome
Big Foot
genome

2005/06
2011/12

:|

Winning the Championship as a Reading fan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> winning the PL as an Arsenal fan

you helm

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 22 Apr 2015 13:09

Emirates is in a fairly decent location with plenty of pubs and places to eat within a short distance, as with all London clubs.

Madejski is out on limb with nothing really to do.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 22 Apr 2015 13:13

I genuinely think supporting a big team (even if you go all the time) is a completely different kind of experience to supporting your Readings or your Bradfords. Your entire perception of what football is and what it entails is different, and it's a real perspective clash the odd time two such teams play each other.

Imagine going to a game and not knowing a single other person there? You don't stand in the concourse and think "oh there's my mate from school's dad", "there's Paul Black" or even just "there's proper Uncle Brendy". Must be weird.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 22 Apr 2015 13:14

Big Foot
genome

2005/06
2011/12

Think about how those periods felt as a Reading resident and Reading fan. Euphoric at times, knowing our local team are top of the league, champions, and finishing in the top half of the premier league.

I remember in Walkabout watching the game where Reading sealed the top spot, it was nuts.

I don't see how any fan of Arsenal/Chelsea/other top 4 can celebrate quite as much watching their team on TV, or seeing their team win the league.

Thinking back to when Reading were on top form in 05/06 and the season after, it was an amazing time and I was hugely proud (still am) to support the team where I lived.

I don't think I could fully explain this to someone who supports Man United or whatever it is

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Apr 2015 13:15

We don't support a team that contains the word "Arse"

We don't support a team that bought it's place in the top flight.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 22 Apr 2015 13:26

bobby1413
Big Foot 2005/06
2011/12

Think about how those periods felt as a Reading resident and Reading fan. Euphoric at times, knowing our local team are top of the league, champions, and finishing in the top half of the premier league.

I remember in Walkabout watching the game where Reading sealed the top spot, it was nuts.

I don't see how any fan of Arsenal/Chelsea/other top 4 can celebrate quite as much watching their team on TV, or seeing their team win the league.

Thinking back to when Reading were on top form in 05/06 and the season after, it was an amazing time and I was hugely proud (still am) to support the team where I lived.

I don't think I could fully explain this to someone who supports Man United or whatever it is

FYI

Big Foot
genome
Big Foot 2005/06
2011/12

:|

Winning the Championship as a Reading fan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> winning the PL as an Arsenal fan

you helm

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Apr 2015 14:07

LUX particularly good to have Kes on this thread

You'd think so wouldn't you?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 Apr 2015 14:15

Support Reading and witness history being written first hand
Support Arsenal and see history being repeated on television

Arsenal fans will never have the excitement of climbing the leagues or the heartache of relegation, The only cup shocks they can witness are their side losing to the lower leagues.

Ticket prices are also a factor, most people can afford to attend Reading games and actually get tickets. Most of us also live in or near Reading so it is our local team, Few of our fans are randoms from other parts of the country/world with no connection to the area, we are a local team.

I pity Londoners who support Arsenal but can't afford tickets and can't buy them due to the demand from outsiders.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 22 Apr 2015 14:18

Some very good points on this thread. I particularly enjoyed and agreed with Mags comment.

I would also add that supporting a lower league side (whoever it may be) broadens your knowledge of football in general. Most fans of most sides below the top six in the Prem have been up and down the divisions over the years so can empathise with the long midweek trips to Hartlepool on a wet and windy February evening (for instance). Fans have a broader interest in the ups and downs of clubs, new sides coming into the football league, maybe a rough idea of recent history of clubs. I doubt many Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal fans would know about the likes of say Rochdale's recent success in finally getting out of league 2, Fleetwood working their way up through the non-leagues at a rapid rate, or perhaps even the more notorious history of MK Dons. Lower league fans just tend to be a bit more well rounded. Successes are more infrequent and bigger occasions, not an entitlement. Disappointment, mediocrity and heartache are more the norm. There is still that connection to the local community and people, the football club is still that: a club representing a community, not a brand.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 22 Apr 2015 14:42

No Fixed Abode Emirates is in a fairly decent location with plenty of pubs and places to eat within a short distance, as with all London clubs.

Not sure I agree that this is a benefit of supporting Reading. If anything I'd prefer the former to the latter.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 22 Apr 2015 14:52

Brum Royal I would also add that supporting a lower league side (whoever it may be) broadens your knowledge of football in general. Most fans of most sides below the top six in the Prem have been up and down the divisions over the years so can empathise with the long midweek trips to Hartlepool on a wet and windy February evening (for instance).

Good point.

I commented ages ago about really looking forward to a good away day. The Arsenal supporting friend was :? and said "Don't you prefer home games". Trying to describe the attraction behind an away game was just impossible.

It's funny when I hear people of those big clubs saying excitedly they've got tickets to the match on Saturday. It really is a big occasion.

I had the misfortune to go to Manchester United vs West Ham. I was on the very top tier of the largest stand, surrounded by Chinese people and tourists. I agree with Maguire that it must be really strange to have no recognition of people you've seen at home/away games, or worked with over the years, aquaintances, etc...

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 22 Apr 2015 14:54

Ouroboros
No Fixed Abode Emirates is in a fairly decent location with plenty of pubs and places to eat within a short distance, as with all London clubs.

Not sure I agree that this is a benefit of supporting Reading. If anything I'd prefer the former to the latter.

I think you missed the point of his post....

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 Apr 2015 15:01

No Fixed Abode Mention anything pre 2005 to a lot of Reading fans and they're stumped....
particularly those still at school.

I remember on here a few years back there was a Hillsborough thread and one teenage female Reading fan posted "What happened there then?" :shock:
I blame the parents, particularly the father who was also a hobnob user!

Blue Blood

by Blue Blood » 22 Apr 2015 15:20

Rather than why better than Arsenal specifically, I would rather you would have asked why supporting Reading is so bloody fantastic and better than almost any other team I can think of for all the reasons stated above.

Last 15 seasons we have ALWAYS had something to play for right until the end and with some fantastic highs. This year was panning out to be the exception until the wonderful FAC Semi.

I now hanker after only two things in my Readng tick list -

1. Win a major trophy of some sort, which probably is our best chance of...

2. Europe (so near our first Premier season, the only thing Sir Steve got wrong)

Oh and as many away cup draws as possible to newer teams in the lower leagues which is the only way to tick off grounds (and with a good chance of a result it seems)

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 22 Apr 2015 15:40

Maguire I genuinely think supporting a big team (even if you go all the time) is a completely different kind of experience to supporting your Readings or your Bradfords. Your entire perception of what football is and what it entails is different, and it's a real perspective clash the odd time two such teams play each other.

Imagine going to a game and not knowing a single other person there? You don't stand in the concourse and think "oh there's my mate from school's dad", "there's Paul Black" or even just "there's proper Uncle Brendy". Must be weird.

2nd ALOL of the day from mags on here, 4th if you include all online platforms

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Apr 2015 15:59

bobby1413 I was on the very top tier of the largest stand, surrounded by Chinese people

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 22 Apr 2015 16:10

bobby1413 3) Arsenal fans generally arrive late/leave early, with no real passion or interest

Our fans are not like that at all :lol: