2012-2015: worst signings

Which was our worst signing over the past 3 seasons?

Guthrie
11%
Pobrebnyak
11%
Kelly
0%
Drenthe
29%
Norwood
No votes
Cox
No votes
Yakubu
3%
Ferdinand
32%
Knight
11%
Other
4%

Total votes: 206
ladida_gunner_graham

Re: 2012-2015: worst signings

by ladida_gunner_graham » 27 Apr 2015 18:23

Ian Royal I propose a compromise:

Drenthe - biggest waster signing
Ferdinand - stupidest signing
Pogrebnyak - most overpaid signing

It's to the credit of the club management that we've managed to field a strong candidate in each category. Sunderland can take us in the Biggest Kiddie Fiddler section, otherwise, good work fellas.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 27 Apr 2015 20:19

To answer the question posed several times on this thread I included Pogrebnyak to test the general intelligence of Reading supporters 8)

LOL @ me forgetting that Akpan and Blackman even exist, unsurprising given their complete lack of impact :lol:

Also forgot Mariappa, absolute :shrug shoulders: at his time at Reading. Doesn't get anywhere near the Palace team these days I think I am right in saying :?:

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 27 Apr 2015 22:26

West Stand Man You have clearly not read it though. It is pretty clear that a signing who has never played has to be a worse signing than one who has contributed week in week out. On your logic if we signed Messi and he never actually played for us that would be a good signing. That is obviously nonsense. Sorry.

Its not.
i think Pogrebnyak's global impact is also quite obvious.
Ever since we've put him on his big contract we've been uncontrollably in debt - we havent made any decent decisions in the transfer market for three years, simply because we cant afford to. The utter irony of this thread is that pretty much all of these bad transfers that are listed are partly because Pogrebnyak is at the club. It was his wage that first bust the club and since then we've been making speculative punts on crocks because they are free. Or on lower league players because they're cheap. You could even argue that we made the Ferdinand deal because we were broke. And as its Pogrebnyak making us broke - its at least partly his responsibility - and the rest of them on this list.

One tick in Royston's favour is that when push came to shove, he left. Pogrebnyak has been going to the press saying that he wants to go back to Russia for over a year now. There isnt a hint that he wants to play for another contract. He is quite happy sitting it out; despite the fact that the club has been grumbling about cash for years. You cannot, in any world, say that is something to admire.

We are going to be in transition next year as well - because Pogrebnyak is at the club - that isnt an accusation you can make to Ferdinand.

With Ferdinand out - at least it gave us an opportunity to give Hector a good half a season. With Pogrebnyak up front, we cant play anybody with him - because he's so useless and we cant replace him because we cant afford any strikers. Arsenal summed it up for me. We played Pogrebnyal up front because we had to - who in their right mind would want to play a 4-5-1 with Pog on his own - nobody. We had to draft Mackie in to help him. Whatsmore he gets a chance put on a plate for him and, well, I dont even want to talk about his 2 on 1 effort - it was so Pogrebnyak. Pathetic, in other words. We sold Le Fondre to help pay his wages, and, laughably, we had to pay for the loan of another forward to help him out because his strike rate is so pitiful - so for the first half of this season, Pogrebnyak was costing us his wage, plus Murray's - you just cant make it up.

Ferdinand may offer us absolutely nothing - but Pogrebnyak offers us less than that. As soon as he is off the books, we might start operating like a proper club again. We've been falling from grace for quite some time now - and he is a key reason for it.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 27 Apr 2015 23:32

Johann Has to be Zat Knight , what a kick in the b----cks it must have been for Jake Cooper when we signed him .

Hard to argue :lol:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 27 Apr 2015 23:35

In all honesty. This ludicrous signing in 2013 tops it for me.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 Apr 2015 02:38

Well.said Dr H

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Apr 2015 07:51

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
West Stand Man You have clearly not read it though. It is pretty clear that a signing who has never played has to be a worse signing than one who has contributed week in week out. On your logic if we signed Messi and he never actually played for us that would be a good signing. That is obviously nonsense. Sorry.

Its not.
Ever since we've put him on his big contract we've been uncontrollably in debt - we havent made any decent decisions in the transfer market for three years, simply because we cant afford to. The utter irony of this thread is that pretty much all of these bad transfers that are listed are partly because Pogrebnyak is at the club. It was his wage that first bust the club and since then we've been making speculative punts on crocks because they are free. Or on lower league players because they're cheap. You could even argue that we made the Ferdinand deal because we were broke. And as its Pogrebnyak making us broke - its at least partly his responsibility - and the rest of them on this list.

One tick in Royston's favour is that when push came to shove, he left. Pogrebnyak has been going to the press saying that he wants to go back to Russia for over a year now. There isnt a hint that he wants to play for another contract. He is quite happy sitting it out; despite the fact that the club has been grumbling about cash for years. You cannot, in any world, say that is something to admire.

We are going to be in transition next year as well - because Pogrebnyak is at the club - that isnt an accusation you can make to Ferdinand.

With Ferdinand out - at least it gave us an opportunity to give Hector a good half a season. With Pogrebnyak up front, we cant play anybody with him - because he's so useless and we cant replace him because we cant afford any strikers. Arsenal summed it up for me. We played Pogrebnyal up front because we had to - who in their right mind would want to play a 4-5-1 with Pog on his own - nobody. We had to draft Mackie in to help him. Whatsmore he gets a chance put on a plate for him and, well, I dont even want to talk about his 2 on 1 effort - it was so Pogrebnyak. Pathetic, in other words. We sold Le Fondre to help pay his wages, and, laughably, we had to pay for the loan of another forward to help him out because his strike rate is so pitiful - so for the first half of this season, Pogrebnyak was costing us his wage, plus Murray's - you just cant make it up.

Ferdinand may offer us absolutely nothing - but Pogrebnyak offers us less than that. As soon as he is off the books, we might start operating like a proper club again. We've been falling from grace for quite some time now - and he is a key reason for it.

See my previous comment re not being able to take in so much stupidity in one go.

Let's just point out that we didn't need to sign Ferdinand in order for Hector to be able to cover his absence. I can't be bothered to decapitate the rest of this nonsense.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 07 May 2015 20:57

Carriço playing in the UEFA Europa League Semi-Final a really shit signing :roll:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 08 May 2015 11:48

I voted Drenthe because he was a known troublemaker before we signed him. I don't blame Adkins as I suspect the Russian signed him without consultation.

Guthrie didn't get my vote because he at least gave 100% half the time and got on the coach for most of the away games.

Kuhl_Runnings

by Kuhl_Runnings » 08 May 2015 13:29

floyd__streete To answer the question posed several times on this thread I included Pogrebnyak to test the general intelligence of Reading supporters 8)

LOL @ me forgetting that Akpan and Blackman even exist, unsurprising given their complete lack of impact :lol:

Also forgot Mariappa, absolute :shrug shoulders: at his time at Reading. Doesn't get anywhere near the Palace team these days I think I am right in saying :?:

Actually Mariappa is their first choice RIGHT-BACK. Believed he played centre for us.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 May 2015 14:07

First choice? He's only played 16 games this season.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 13 May 2015 18:12

Dr_Hfuhruhurr

Its not.

It's not Pog's fault that he was given an extortionate contract. Yes that contract means that he might be one of the worst signings financially but don't hold it against the guy himself. Part of the reason for him not scoring goals is the team around him, and how he's been utilised - again not something you can hold against the guy himself.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 13 May 2015 18:30

And Pogs massive contract has knock on implications. We can't offer Jem or Feds decent contracts for example. But the rest of you will continue to defend him because he works so hard and its not his fault. He needs to be sold, released or put in the reserves until he fucks off for good.

Worst signing because of the difference in expectation vs what he's delivered and the impact he's had on the club financially. End of discussion.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 May 2015 18:51

kwik-silva
It's not Pog's fault that he was given an extortionate contract. Yes that contract means that he might be one of the worst signings financially but don't hold it against the guy himself. Part of the reason for him not scoring goals is the team around him, and how he's been utilised - again not something you can hold against the guy himself.

He didn't have to sign it mate.

He could have shown more interest in football than money by pursuing opportunities elsewhere.

I believe he's said he only joined us because of the ludicrous amount of money we were offering... he could have chosen to get a good wage and go with Fulham rather than whore himself to the highest shittest bidder.

Sorry, but it's the team's fault he doesn't score goals doesn't wash. ALF scored better than him. Murray scored better than him. Hell, even Cox had six months scoring better than him before he fell apart when Adkins left. He doesn't score, because he doesn't get into enough opportunities to score. He wouldn't score many even with a better team around him, just because he wouldn't be in the right place to put it away.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 23 May 2015 10:34

maffff In all honesty. This ludicrous signing in 2013 tops it for me.

I seem to remember he was playing out of his skin at the time. He played his best spell for us at the end of the Premier League season.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 23 May 2015 10:39

Forbury Lion Guthrie didn't get my vote because he at least gave 100% half the time and got on the coach for most of the away games.

That's a worryingly low bar. :lol:

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 23 May 2015 10:44

Royal Ginger
maffff In all honesty. This ludicrous signing in 2013 tops it for me.

I seem to remember he was playing out of his skin at the time. He played his best spell for us at the end of the Premier League season.

Expecting big things again next season. His contract runs out next summer. :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 May 2015 11:28

Steve Clarke.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 23 May 2015 12:56

leon
Maguire Drenthe is the worst signing of all time. Just a lazy mental case who's wasted his talent.

Really harsh putting Pogrebnyak alongside him - works his balls off in a way that Drenthe never would.

All Pog needs is a decent foil to play alongside him.

Guthrie for me every time.

Snap.
He's a rotten apple that divided the group. His refusal to play will be difficult to forget too. He's an egotistical oxf*rd who used game time to attempt to show off. Sadly he didn't have the ability to execute the hollywood passes so either wasted possession or slowed the game down so much the oppo would get back and nicely organised.
Harsh on Pog for sure. Yes he earns loads, but he's without doubt our best striker, albeit the best of a bad bunch.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 24 May 2015 11:24

Must be pretty fcuking bad if our best striker is someone who can't score