Pre-season Friendlies

407 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Pre-season Friendlies

by Nameless » 01 Aug 2015 17:56

KC Royal - thought Espanyol should have scored from a low cross into an unmarked player in the box,

I think the fact that their guy was flagged offside before he miskicked the chance wide rules that one out as a possible....

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Aug 2015 18:09

Ian Royal The difference between the teams in terms of controlling possession is frightening. Espanyol are constantly moving into triangles a pass or two ahead so there's always something on and we are just randomly looking for space, we either find it with no route for the pass, or we're marked. It should be basic stuff.

Surprised you say that.

I thought we looked more confident with the ball, and passing to team mates, than I can remember for a season or 2.

Never looked like doing anything much with it of course but still, I'll take comfort in possession as a positive to build on.

(Only saw the last 50 mins.)

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 01 Aug 2015 18:37

loyalroyal4life Was Mcleary just rested? Best not be off!

Injured apparently

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 01 Aug 2015 18:41

Royal Rother Surprised you say that.

Why ? Ian wasn't within three counties distance from the game as usual,.
A dodgy stream and fading batteries on his radio is all he has to go on, but he will bang on as if he trains with the Squad everyday.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Aug 2015 18:43

Royal Rother
Ian Royal The difference between the teams in terms of controlling possession is frightening. Espanyol are constantly moving into triangles a pass or two ahead so there's always something on and we are just randomly looking for space, we either find it with no route for the pass, or we're marked. It should be basic stuff.

Surprised you say that.

I thought we looked more confident with the ball, and passing to team mates, than I can remember for a season or 2.

Never looked like doing anything much with it of course but still, I'll take comfort in possession as a positive to build on.

You're right, there were some spells when we looked really comfortable on the ball and were passing it well. All the players got involved in moves and it was noticeably better than last season.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Aug 2015 19:09

Royal Ginger Fosu was most disappointing for me, tried to do too much.

We were discussing this at the game. When you play in a league against the likes of Ronaldo and Bale. Fosu isn't a problem. They had him sussed.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Aug 2015 20:10

There were often 3 or 4 players confronting him which would have been a challenge for any winger. He rarely had any space to play in. He also ended up playing on the non natural side of the pitch.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Aug 2015 21:52

Royal Rother

Surprised you say that.

Oh yes, we were far superior passing to almost anything since Coppell, bar a few games under Adkins here and there. It's not so much the passing, but the finding and keeping the shape to make the passing easy, with options that we miss chronically.

I thought the Hector, Norwood, Williams link through the middle looked to have lots of potential.

Schmeichel the dog

by Schmeichel the dog » 01 Aug 2015 22:58

Second half punch up was the highlight of an otherwise dull game. Espanyol had quality but let themselves down with shirt pulling , rolling around and berating the officials. Danny williams somehow got booked following a great first half tackle which the spanish bench took exception to and less said about the obita incident the better. The pitch invasion reaction was utterly ridiculous. The tackle was a bit reckless and unnecessary but the only player he touched was cox. Steve clarke let the espanyol manager know exactly what he thought of his team after orlando sa was fouled from behind shortly afterwards. Quality.
For their part reading were tidy and there was some good possesion and passing moves but lacked any real width or penetration up front. That said the defence was solid and rarely troubled. In front of them norwood, williams and quinn all had good games. Blackman struggled to make any great impact and fosu had a second half to forget. Seriously missed mccleary. Was interested to see Sa. He was clearly not match fit and looked very sluggish at times but is strong did show glimpses of quality. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to the championship.
Brum on saturday will be an entirely different proposition.

Esteban

by Esteban » 02 Aug 2015 09:31

Ian Royal
Royal Rother

Surprised you say that.

Oh yes, we were far superior passing to almost anything since Coppell, bar a few games under Adkins here and there. It's not so much the passing, but the finding and keeping the shape to make the passing easy, with options that we miss chronically.

I thought the Hector, Norwood, Williams link through the middle looked to have lots of potential.

Quite agree. This was the game I was most interested in, as Espanyol were always likely to be compact and well organised. The way we dealt with that is what I wanted to see.

I don't think it surprised anyone that we looked decent enough up to the final third, but then lacked quality. I thought Danny Williams did a decent job trying to link the play, but it's not his natural game. We definitely need a mobile striker to do the job Blackman was asked to perform, plus full backs and a winger; but the key to getting the best out of Clarke's system is an attacking midfielder in the Gylfi mould. Unfortunately, I can't think of any with quality that are likely to be in our price range.

Defensively we looked far better and Ferdinand has forced his way into the starting 11 for me, so fair play to him. However, even if we do get a decent striker in, I can't see us finishing much higher than 12th at the moment, unless we can solve the problem in midfield.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 02 Aug 2015 10:36

I quite enjoy this picture of Reid leaning into their number 6 with his arm around his neck...

Followed by...

:lol:

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 02 Aug 2015 11:03

I thought it was a pretty dull game with few chances although we bossed it and played some decent football. Espanyol were organised and got everyone behind the ball, playing for a 0-0 or a break away to nick it. I though Williams and Quinn played well, I think Quinn in particular will be a star this season. Not sure yet on Sa as he looked pretty cumbersome and wore Pink boots ffs. Blackman seems to have decided the best way to avoid any criticism is to look like Williams.

Groans about the club - they'll still playing oxf*rd Sweet Caroline, the new announcer is shit and the Good Old boy has gone up 10p to £4.10. I'm planning to pay with a £20 note for everyone I buy as they'll never have enough change.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 02 Aug 2015 11:51

Bit of a write up (Chrome translates from Spainish) on the Espanyol website along with some action from the game

http://www.rcdespanyol.com/ca/actualitat/0-0-marcat-per-la-duresa/_n:925/

yappy

by yappy » 02 Aug 2015 11:55

Thought Quinn and Tshibola were the stand out players for me. The fact Tshibola started suggests he may have moved ahead of Akpan in the pecking order. Happy Bond was given the nod to start and looked decent from the little he had to do, but still not clear who will start next week. Quite happy with our three centre backs, think we have good competition between Hector, McShane and Ferdinand.

Going forward we struggled to create alot and it is concerning now having Pog, McCleary and I would assume HRK missing for the start of the season. Not a lot went right for Fosu and it does suggest to me that perhaps people are expecting a little too much from him at the moment. Another winger and striker on the books would certainly benefit us.

Only other player I would've liked to see yesterday was Samuel.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 02 Aug 2015 20:41

Took the kids yesterday. Asked Zammo jnr #2 if he enjoyed his day out and he said "brilliant daddy, apart from the football".

Defensively we will be fine. Scoring goals is gonna be a major problem.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Aug 2015 21:01

Zammo Took the kids yesterday. Asked Zammo jnr #2 if he enjoyed his day out and he said "brilliant daddy, apart from the football".

Defensively we will be fine. Scoring goals is gonna be a major problem.

.........................Bond
Gunter...Hector..Ferdinand..Obita

......................Norwood
..............Williams.....Quinn

.....Samuel..........................Fosu
...........................Sa

Seems like our best bet for the start of the season, more of a 4-3-3 than a 4-5-1. Sa doesn't look to be a lone front man from the little I've seen and heard. It looks very light from the bench, but McCleary in for Samuel and a resurgent HRK or new signing for Fosu would improve the XI and the bench.

I spose we could go with Williams and Norwood in the middle, push Quinn to the left and have Stacey, Tanner or Taylor as a right winger. Then Cox or Samuel upfront with Sa.

McCleary, HRK and Pog out are a blow. Maybe Blackman will come good.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Aug 2015 21:05

Lower West
Royal Ginger Fosu was most disappointing for me, tried to do too much.

We were discussing this at the game. When you play in a league against the likes of Ronaldo and Bale. Fosu isn't a problem. They had him sussed.

Bale's not been much of a problem for La Liga defences in the last year either.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Aug 2015 23:55

I thought that was one of the dullest games I've ever been to, despite it being a friendly. Missed the first ten of the second half, preferring pints the bar.

Orlando Sa is terrible and is going to be the new Pog.

Stephen Quinn looks decent, love his industry and determination

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Aug 2015 00:03

John Smith I thought that was one of the dullest games I've ever been to, despite it being a friendly. Missed the first ten of the second half, preferring pints the bar.

Surely you meant his quinndustry?

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 03 Aug 2015 00:48

John Smith I thought that was one of the dullest games I've ever been to, despite it being a friendly. Missed the first ten of the second half, preferring pints the bar.

I agree about Quinn to a degree. However I felt there was little end product for all his hustle and bustle.

407 posts