Greatest Ever RFC Player? Please help me on school project.

Swegrebnyak420X

Greatest Ever RFC Player? Please help me on school project.

by Swegrebnyak420X » 01 Nov 2015 20:45

Alright everyone? No need for the "oxf*rd off newbie"s, I'll take those as read.

Long time lurker, only bothered to make an account for this purpose.

Doing an 'extended project' at school, and it seemed like a free qualification as can do it on whatever topic wanted, so have decided to do 'Who was the greatest ever Reading player?'.

In order to help me, could you please give a player name, or even a few of them, and reasons for your choice of their being your greatest ever players? I'm expecting the answer to be Friday, at the end, but it would be helpful to have a few considerations for the sake of the question.

I suppose some reasons could be number of appearances, time at club, 106 squad member etc.

No "Ian Royal" please though.

Many Thanks
Last edited by Swegrebnyak420X on 01 Nov 2015 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Greatest Ever RFC Player? Please help me on school proje

by genome » 01 Nov 2015 20:48

Aaron Giametti
Sekou Baradji
Eric Obinna Chukwunyelu
Ian Royal

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Nov 2015 20:54

Steve Death
Jimmy Quinn
Marcus Hahnemann sic

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 01 Nov 2015 20:56

Péter Máté.

Swegrebnyak420X

by Swegrebnyak420X » 01 Nov 2015 21:05

Winchester Royal Péter Máté.

No. Come on.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Nov 2015 21:17

Out of curiosity, who is the exam board?

Swegrebnyak420X

by Swegrebnyak420X » 01 Nov 2015 21:24

Ian Royal Out of curiosity, who is the exam board?

It's AQA.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 01 Nov 2015 21:26

I have a strong case for Péter Máté. He played one game, scored one goal, and that puts him above players such as Doyle, Friday, Kitson, Quinn, Gylfi, none of whom averaged a goal a game with the club. Mate was also part of the 2005-06 title winning squad. So what's wrong with voting for him for all his contributions to the club while he was here?

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 01 Nov 2015 21:26

The real heroes are the Scorpions.

Swegrebnyak420X

by Swegrebnyak420X » 01 Nov 2015 21:34

Winchester Royal I have a strong case for Péter Máté. He played one game, scored one goal, and that puts him above players such as Doyle, Friday, Kitson, Quinn, Gylfi, none of whom averaged a goal a game with the club. Mate was also part of the 2005-06 title winning squad. So what's wrong with voting for him for all his contributions to the club while he was here?

I thought I remember that single appearance being in a league cup game? But fair enough for the goal/app ratio...

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 01 Nov 2015 21:36

Swegrebnyak420X
Winchester Royal I have a strong case for Péter Máté. He played one game, scored one goal, and that puts him above players such as Doyle, Friday, Kitson, Quinn, Gylfi, none of whom averaged a goal a game with the club. Mate was also part of the 2005-06 title winning squad. So what's wrong with voting for him for all his contributions to the club while he was here?

I thought I remember that single appearance being in a league cup game? But fair enough for the goal/app ratio...

You're right, it was league cup against Darlington. I'm curious, how can you remember that game when it was about 10 years ago and you can't be older than 15 to be doing this as a school project? I do hope that my explanation of Mate's qualities will have him mentioned in your project.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 01 Nov 2015 21:45

I'd count out anyone with less than 5 appearances and nominate:

G. Gary Phillips
D. Mark Whitlock
M. Mark Reilly
F. Paul Brayson

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 01 Nov 2015 21:52

Swegrebnyak420X Alright everyone? No need for the "oxf*rd off newbie"s, I'll take those as read.

Doing an 'extended project' at school, and it seemed like a free qualification as can do it on whatever topic wanted, so have decided to do 'Who was the greatest ever Reading player?'.

In order to help me, could you please give a player name, or even a few of them, and reasons for your choice of their being your greatest ever players? I'm expecting the answer to be Friday, at the end, but it would be helpful to have a few considerations for the sake of the question.

I suppose some reasons could be number of appearances, time at club, 106 squad member etc.

Many Thanks

Just out of interest, how much help are you getting on this from your school? Do you have weekly sessions?

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 01 Nov 2015 21:54

It's Friday, of course, if you ask anybody to vote from their heart.

Otherwise it's Shorey or Sidwell.

Johann

by Johann » 01 Nov 2015 22:08

It has to be , Robin Friday , Gylfi , or Jimmy Quinn . All three different class to any others .

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Nov 2015 22:34

Swegrebnyak420X

It's AQA.

Cheers

I can't comment on players I've never seen like Friday, Death or Senior etc. But of those I've seen over the last 20 years a few stand out.

In goal.
Shaka and Hahnemann. Shaka went on to have a successful career at the top of English football and Hahnemann played successfully at the highest level with us.

In defence.
Wdowczyk, Ingimarsson and Shorey. Wdowczyk was a real classy centreback with a good range of passing, anticipated really well. Ingimarsson was just solid all round and Shorey, well he got an England cap and was at the heart of everything that was good about the 106ers (and then bad about it).

In midfield.
Little, Gilkes, Parkinson and Sidwell. Sidwell went on to spend a long time in the PL and was the driving force at the heart of the 106ers. Little wasn't quick but his close control was almost unbelievable at times and he could pick out a player with a cross to perfection. Gilkes was really quick, and before my time was a deadly winger... though I think we've had plenty wingers better since, he is a club legend so deserves a mention. Parky is far from the best player, but for all his limitations he would run through walls for the team and the fact that the fans still sing about him now speaks volumes.

Upfront.
Kitson and Quinn scored lots of goals and were talented players. If Kitson hadn't been as loath to put the effort in in training as he was and did more to keep his body from breaking down in injury as much and as often, I think he'd have played a fair few games for England.

But when it comes down to it, the greatest, best, most talented player I've seen for Reading is Sigurdsson. The skill of Little, the freekicks of Shorey and the goalscoring ability of Kitson. If Friday has that beat, he was a hellova player.

Swegrebnyak420X

by Swegrebnyak420X » 01 Nov 2015 22:39

Winchester Royal
Swegrebnyak420X

You're right, it was league cup against Darlington. I'm curious, how can you remember that game when it was about 10 years ago and you can't be older than 15 to be doing this as a school project? I do hope that my explanation of Mate's qualities will have him mentioned in your project.

I'm 18, máté. First reading game at 3 weeks old! I also have a small scar above my lip from when my dad dropped me at Swansea in celebrating a goal when I was a baby.

I will include him as a 'joke' contender perhaps.
Last edited by Swegrebnyak420X on 01 Nov 2015 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

Swegrebnyak420X

by Swegrebnyak420X » 01 Nov 2015 22:42

Ian Royal
Swegrebnyak420X

It's AQA.

Cheers

I can't comment on players I've never seen like Friday, Death or Senior etc. But of those I've seen over the last 20 years a few stand out.

In goal.
Shaka and Hahnemann. Shaka went on to have a successful career at the top of English football and Hahnemann played successfully at the highest level with us.

In defence.
Wdowczyk, Ingimarsson and Shorey. Wdowczyk was a real classy centreback with a good range of passing, anticipated really well. Ingimarsson was just solid all round and Shorey, well he got an England cap and was at the heart of everything that was good about the 106ers (and then bad about it).

In midfield.
Little, Gilkes, Parkinson and Sidwell. Sidwell went on to spend a long time in the PL and was the driving force at the heart of the 106ers. Little wasn't quick but his close control was almost unbelievable at times and he could pick out a player with a cross to perfection. Gilkes was really quick, and before my time was a deadly winger... though I think we've had plenty wingers better since, he is a club legend so deserves a mention. Parky is far from the best player, but for all his limitations he would run through walls for the team and the fact that the fans still sing about him now speaks volumes.

Upfront.
Kitson and Quinn scored lots of goals and were talented players. If Kitson hadn't been as loath to put the effort in in training as he was and did more to keep his body from breaking down in injury as much and as often, I think he'd have played a fair few games for England.

But when it comes down to it, the greatest, best, most talented player I've seen for Reading is Sigurdsson. The skill of Little, the freekicks of Shorey and the goalscoring ability of Kitson. If Friday has that beat, he was a hellova player.

This is so helpful, Ian, thanks.
My own vote would have to be Sigurdsson from my time, just for pure skill.

Swegrebnyak420X

by Swegrebnyak420X » 01 Nov 2015 22:43

Jack Celliers
Swegrebnyak420X Alright everyone? No need for the "oxf*rd off newbie"s, I'll take those as read.

Many Thanks

Just out of interest, how much help are you getting on this from your school? Do you have weekly sessions?

Exactly that, every Tuesday. I'm pretty well set, in the early stages but have about a term to complete this. Not writing a massive essay, intending to make a short documentary film - include archive footage, pictures, audio and video interviews etc.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 01 Nov 2015 22:46

Good luck with it, I hope it turns out well as I'd like to see that.