Who do you want to replace Clarke?

1219 posts

Which one of these gentlemen, not currently managing, should lead the mighty Reading FC?

Steve Coppell
12%
Alan Curbishley
2%
Paolo Di Canio
2%
Avram Grant
1%
Glenn Hoddle
5%
Paul Ince
1%
Martin Kuhl
2%
Ally McCoist
1%
Brian McDermott
17%
David Moyes
12%
Nigel Pearson
24%
Gus Poyet
2%
Brendan Rodgers
2%
Uwe Rosler
0%
Tim Sherwood
3%
Mark Warburton
4%
Other (please specify)
8%

Total votes: 368
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Who do you want to replace Clarke?

by CountryRoyal » 19 Nov 2015 09:40

I kind of want Pearson now just because it would be LOLz that Fullham wanted him, he said no, they took Clarke and then we got their first choice.

If we get Kevin Keen or Uwe Rossler I'm never going to football again.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 19 Nov 2015 09:40

Did you have that feeling with Clarke?

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 19 Nov 2015 09:40

genome
RoyalJames101
RG30 Gary Rowett by a country mile. Outstanding jobs at Burton and Birmingham on a modest budget.

Surely he wouldn't leave Brum for us though?

Yeah, no chance a manager would leave one Championship club for another only a couple of league places below them.

:? Fair point, but maybe Clarke is pre-empting the sack etc with our poor form? Very strange indeed.

el_presidente

by el_presidente » 19 Nov 2015 09:41

LWJ
What's AVB doing nowadays?

doing very well at Zenit St Petersburg

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Nov 2015 09:41

Maybe Fullham will let him drink on the job.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 19 Nov 2015 09:43

What about DI Matteo?

Keep the Chelsea connection going for passing down players a la Bamford!

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 19 Nov 2015 09:45

loyalroyal4life What about DI Matteo?

Manager of Schalke apparently. Don't see that happening :(

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Nov 2015 09:45

Bob Bradley.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Nov 2015 09:46

LWJ

He left in May

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 19 Nov 2015 09:46

LWJ But would fcuking love Neville what a footballing brain.

Why on earth would he come here though. Must be odds on to take over from Hodgson when he leaves. If you want Neville's football brain the nearest we'll get is giving Phil the job and hoping Gary answers the phone at 2:59 every Saturday afternoon.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Nov 2015 09:46

Pepe the Horseman Bob Bradley.

Lolz, just seen that he joined Le Havre last week.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Nov 2015 09:46

LWJ

No he isn't. Quit in the summer.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Nov 2015 09:46

babyblue Alright fellas, Leicester fan in peace. Been watching Pearson's name getting chucked about and overlooked for several jobs now, I can understand why if you just want to focus on a few incidents blown out of all proportion by the media. It may not be just that, as there is the added complication that his staff are still employed by Leicester and very much still part of the team here. So, if he wanted his team to go with him you'll have to pay!

Anyway, back to Pearson... Forget the nonsense of last season, that's all I will say. The guy was here for 4 or 5 years over different spells, in charge for nearly 300 games. It's not like that all the time, in fact it's incredibly rare. Unfortunately the press decided he was the figure of fun last season and decided to focus on every incident and often make it out to be something it's not. I'd rather they didn't happen, but being close to them they didn't deserve the reaction they got. I could break down every incident, but I won't bore you.

99.9% of the time the guy just straight bats everything, can be seen as dour and boring. But that stems from him just not wanting to give anything away and a total mistrust of the media. With the players, his staff, if you meet him on the street he's a really nice bloke, a funny bloke and all his staff and players absolutely adore him. He just doesn't give him shites about reporters asking stupid questions.

As a manager, well what can I say. The bloke pretty much saved out club twice from a total mess. The first time we were at our lowest point ever with a massive black cloud hanging over the club. He came in before our season in league one and pretty much transformed us overnight. From a team of players who only cared about themselves, full of hasbeens. He transformed us with lots of loans and free transfers into a young and hungry team with something to prove. We walked to promotion and the next season made the playoffs, I honestly think we'd have been promoted had a few players not had a massive bust up before the first leg (Wayne Brown admitted voting BNP in front of everyone. Didn't go down well with the black players).

We let him go that summer to Hull as Mandaric wanted a "name", Sousa and Sven walked in and were utter dross. Spending money left right and centre on utter tosh and we looked hopeless. We finally saw sense and went back in for Pearson, who once again started to rebuild the club from top to bottom. Getting rid of expensive flops and again bringing in young, hungry and decent quality players. What he spent he mostly got from players he sold as well.

He's more than just a coach he's a club builder. He transformed our sports science and scouting departments to be some of the leading ones in the country. Both at here and Hull his team have a record of picking up gems. Look at say, Chester, Brady, Vardy, Mahrez, Drinkwater. Probably cost £3m in total, you know what Brady and Chester went for from Hull.... our three would probably cost you the best part of £50m now.

What he built and the team he left behind (on and off the pitch), are the reason why we are where we are. The bloke has made me proud to be a Leicester fan on both occasions he was here, and I've never trusted anyone more with the reigns of my club than him. That's the biggest compliment I can pay.

He's not perfect by any means. Tactically he's not the best, he can be a slow learner. He can seem stubborn beyond belief sometimes. But no matter how much people doubted him and his decisions. In the long run all I can say is that he's never been proven wrong. We've always moved forward under him as manager.

He'll bomb out players you might like or you think are you better players. But it's all in the name of team spirit, if you're not a team player, you won't be at the club long. Doesn't matter how much you cost (ahem Matt Mills), or what your reputation is (Beckford). The team bond he builds is second to none, so you have to trust those decisions.

Don't expect instant results, he will want to shape the club from top to bottom how he wants it. He might want to swap 17 of your 20 players. But, I would say give him the time to do it and you will reap the rewards.

If you want him, then getting his staff from us is key. The recruitment side of it is very important, your issues will be solved by buying in players (that could be free or 100k, he's no cheque book manager). That might prove difficult as Steve Walsh our head of recruitment is highly valued!!!

Anyway, I've probably said enough now. As you can tell I liked the bloke (no I'm not him and no I'm not related) :lol:

We've already had a summer of massive changes, as good as Pearson may be I'm not sure' we need even more upheaval.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Nov 2015 09:47

Crowbar6753
surrounded by saints Person would be a good choice in my opinion or what about Kenny Jacket.?

Good call, Kenny Jacket had Watford playing good attacking football. Was Vydra at Watford under Jacket? my heads hurting at the moment and i cannot remember. :cry:

I think someone has either been playing too much Football Manager or, the more likely reason, has their head in the sand.

Which leads me nicely to my next point: Pearson, Pearson, Pearson. Please god let it be Pearson.

If not Rowett.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 19 Nov 2015 09:48

CountryRoyal
LWJ

No he isn't. Quit in the summer.

Then Di Matteo please!

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 19 Nov 2015 09:48

Weirdly, I have a hunch Sherwood would make a good manager in the championship. On a relatively short term basis admittedly.

Really though it depends in what direction the Thais want to go. We've got a lot of loan signings at present and have spent a few bob on the likes of Vydra, Piazon etc. We're also more than handily placed to mount a promotion challenge this season which would appeal to higher profile candidates looking for a genuine opportunity for a shot at the Premier League.

However, if we take out the Loanees for a moment and look at the bigger picture of the squad then there we have a squad that contains proven Championship quality combined with talented youngsters who aren't quite ready this season but may well be next year. If the Thais are looking to build something slightly longer lasting then one of the more interesting suggestions I've seen on here is SCIAG's suggestion of Adi Viveash. I was thinking the other day about him actually as a potential manager for us. Chelsea have put a lot of time, money and effort into building their youth set up so if they're happy with Adi heading all that then I think that would suggest there is management talent there.

It's a long shot and would be something of a gamble as I'm not sure the Championship is the best league for a Development manager to cut their teeth in first team management. Equally I'm not sure how the likes of Kuhl would take to having essentially another Youth team coach parachuted in above him or if Chelsea would even contemplate releasing him should he even want to. I just think for a long term appointment who also has connections to the club it's an interesting suggestion. Perhaps it carries too many echoes of Rodgers.

There's a part of me that would love to see Rodgers return actually just to see how apoplectic this board and sections of the fanbase would go.

Tilehurst91

by Tilehurst91 » 19 Nov 2015 09:49

Got to be someone who delivers instant results otherwise Reading fans will soon be booing them.

So Pearson who wants to bring his own legacy is ruled out.

I don't know who is out there. Tim Sherwood and I am setting my season ticket on fire.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 Nov 2015 09:51

Vision Weirdly, I have a hunch Sherwood would make a good manager in the championship. On a relatively short term basis admittedly.

Really though it depends in what direction the Thais want to go. We've got a lot of loan signings at present and have spent a few bob on the likes of Vydra, Piazon etc. We're also more than handily placed to mount a promotion challenge this season which would appeal to higher profile candidates looking for a genuine opportunity for a shot at the Premier League.

However, if we take out the Loanees for a moment and look at the bigger picture of the squad then there we have a squad that contains proven Championship quality combined with talented youngsters who aren't quite ready this season but may well be next year. If the Thais are looking to build something slightly longer lasting then one of the more interesting suggestions I've seen on here is SCIAG's suggestion of Adi Viveash. I was thinking the other day about him actually as a potential manager for us. Chelsea have put a lot of time, money and effort into building their youth set up so if they're happy with Adi heading all that then I think that would suggest there is management talent there.

It's a long shot and would be something of a gamble as I'm not sure the Championship is the best league for a Development manager to cut their teeth in first team management. Equally I'm not sure how the likes of Kuhl would take to having essentially another Youth team coach parachuted in above him or if Chelsea would even contemplate releasing him should he even want to. I just think for a long term appointment who also has connections to the club it's an interesting suggestion. Perhaps it carries too many echoes of Rodgers.

There's a part of me that would love to see Rodgers return actually just to see how apoplectic this board and sections of the fanbase would go.

As a Rodgers fan I'd be all for this, but with Howe running things there is absolutely no chance of this happening.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 19 Nov 2015 09:53

John Gregory?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Nov 2015 09:54

Apparently Avram Grant has been to a few games lately, close links to the Thais

1219 posts