Who do you want to replace Clarke?

1219 posts

Which one of these gentlemen, not currently managing, should lead the mighty Reading FC?

Steve Coppell
12%
Alan Curbishley
2%
Paolo Di Canio
2%
Avram Grant
1%
Glenn Hoddle
5%
Paul Ince
1%
Martin Kuhl
2%
Ally McCoist
1%
Brian McDermott
17%
David Moyes
12%
Nigel Pearson
24%
Gus Poyet
2%
Brendan Rodgers
2%
Uwe Rosler
0%
Tim Sherwood
3%
Mark Warburton
4%
Other (please specify)
8%

Total votes: 368
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Who do you want to replace Clarke?

by Lower West » 04 Dec 2015 13:39

Wycombe Royal Neil Warnock basically said he is up for managing in the Championship again after having this spell at QPR....now that would be a laugh......

Not a bad shout.

My personal favourite is Tim Sherwood. Much of Spurs current success is down to the youth development while he was in charge.

In 28 games in charge. He won 14, lost 10 and drew 4. That's a good record.(Not one you'd expect the sack for in the Championship).

One8Seven1*

Re: The New Manager Poll

by One8Seven1* » 04 Dec 2015 13:39

Telegraph Football ‏@TeleFootball 3h3 hours ago

Reading sacked Clarke for holding Fulham talks - and already have new manager in mind http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... rke.html?x

Reading sack Steve Clarke for holding Fulham talks - and target Nigel Pearson to replace him

Steve Clarke has been sacked as Reading manager just three weeks after he turned down the chance to manage London club

Reading have announced that they have sacked manager Steve Clarke just three weeks after he turned down the chance to manage Fulham.

It is understood that Reading's Thai owners, led by Lady Sasima, were angered by Clarke's decision to hold talks with the club's Championship rivals.

Reading could now make a move to hire Nigel Pearson, the former Leicester manager, as Clarke's replacement.

Pearson has been out of work since being sacked by Leicester at the end of last season, having led the club to safety in the Premier League.

A statement from the club read: "The board of Reading Football Club have this morning relieved manager Steve Clarke of his duties.

"Following Thursday night’s defeat at home to QPR, added to a recent run of poor form which has seen the team pick up just one win in the last eight Sky Bet Championship fixtures, the board feel that a change in manager is now necessary.

"The club met with Steve in person earlier today and we would like to place on permanent record our thanks to him for his hard work and diligence since his appointment in December 2014.

"As part of this process, assistant manager Kevin Keen will also be leaving the club, and we would like to thank him for his efforts."

At the time, Clakre insisted that his decision to hold talks with Fulham “had no effect on the players whatsoever" during a defeat to Bolton.

The club's under-21 manager Martin Kuhl has been put in temporary charge of the team.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 04 Dec 2015 13:42

One8Seven1* Telegraph Football ‏@TeleFootball 3h3 hours ago

Reading sacked Clarke for holding Fulham talks - and already have new manager in mind http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... rke.html?x

Reading sack Steve Clarke for holding Fulham talks - and target Nigel Pearson to replace him

Steve Clarke has been sacked as Reading manager just three weeks after he turned down the chance to manage London club

Reading have announced that they have sacked manager Steve Clarke just three weeks after he turned down the chance to manage Fulham.

It is understood that Reading's Thai owners, led by Lady Sasima, were angered by Clarke's decision to hold talks with the club's Championship rivals.

Reading could now make a move to hire Nigel Pearson, the former Leicester manager, as Clarke's replacement.

Pearson has been out of work since being sacked by Leicester at the end of last season, having led the club to safety in the Premier League.

A statement from the club read: "The board of Reading Football Club have this morning relieved manager Steve Clarke of his duties.

"Following Thursday night’s defeat at home to QPR, added to a recent run of poor form which has seen the team pick up just one win in the last eight Sky Bet Championship fixtures, the board feel that a change in manager is now necessary.

"The club met with Steve in person earlier today and we would like to place on permanent record our thanks to him for his hard work and diligence since his appointment in December 2014.

"As part of this process, assistant manager Kevin Keen will also be leaving the club, and we would like to thank him for his efforts."

At the time, Clakre insisted that his decision to hold talks with Fulham “had no effect on the players whatsoever" during a defeat to Bolton.

The club's under-21 manager Martin Kuhl has been put in temporary charge of the team.

This is Clarke's only real hope. It disguises the fact that he was shit for us behind the Fulham thing.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Dec 2015 13:48

I'd be happy with Pearson if we could get his staff still at Leicester, as that doesn't seem likely it's a bit of an unknown for me.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Dec 2015 13:51

Think I had £20 on Pearson at 5/1 when Clarke was chatting to Fulham, so I'd be fully behind that appointment.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 04 Dec 2015 14:08

Lower West
Wycombe Royal Neil Warnock basically said he is up for managing in the Championship again after having this spell at QPR....now that would be a laugh......

Not a bad shout.

My personal favourite is Tim Sherwood. Much of Spurs current success is down to the youth development while he was in charge.

In 28 games in charge. He won 14, lost 10 and drew 4. That's a good record.(Not one you'd expect the sack for in the Championship).

You are not serious are you? That's a pretty rubbish record for a team with their resources ...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Dec 2015 14:18

Reckon it will be Nigel Pearson and reckon deal will be tied up today and announced officially on Monday.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Dec 2015 14:42

All the chatter seems to point to Pearson, but I do think the Thai thing might make that less likely than it would appear.

As I've said before, I'd quite like Parky to have a pop at the job, mainly for sentimental reasons.

If it's not Parky, and not Pearson, then I hope we'd be looking at up and coming coaches who have shown some levels of decency and loyalty in their careers to date. Oh to be able to pluck our own Eddie Howe out of the woodwork though. Anyway, two names that spring to mind would be Karl Robinson or Paul Tisdale, perhaps the latter with Hoddle coming in as some form of experienced sounding board (realistically that kind of thing wouldn't happen of course).

It's a shame Dolan isn't still in the frame.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Dec 2015 14:49

Hoop Blah All the chatter seems to point to Pearson, but I do think the Thai thing might make that less likely than it would appear.

As I've said before, I'd quite like Parky to have a pop at the job, mainly for sentimental reasons.

If it's not Parky, and not Pearson, then I hope we'd be looking at up and coming coaches who have shown some levels of decency and loyalty in their careers to date. Oh to be able to pluck our own Eddie Howe out of the woodwork though. Anyway, two names that spring to mind would be Karl Robinson or Paul Tisdale, perhaps the latter with Hoddle coming in as some form of experienced sounding board (realistically that kind of thing wouldn't happen of course).

It's a shame Dolan isn't still in the frame.

Saw Tisdale's brand of football on Saturday. It made the QPR match look scintilating and skillful.

Extremely one paced (slow) passing around the back four to no purpose with no movement and no attacking quality whatsoever. Weather conditions were appalling, but still. Definite no from me.

Agree, it's a massive shame Dolan isn't an option.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Dec 2015 15:46

The money's coming in for Bri Bri.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 04 Dec 2015 15:51

Gary Rowett

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Dec 2015 15:57

Pepe the Horseman The money's coming in for Bri Bri.

My fear with McDermott is that he was absolutely the right man at the right time last time around.

He knew the club inside out and the players loved him, especially in contrast to Rodgers. He was the perfect step back towards what was comfortable for the majority of them and they all loved and respected him so he had everything working in his favour.

He absolutely made the most of that but as much as I'd love him to I'm not convinced he's the man to build his own side and have the skills to take us forward again.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 04 Dec 2015 16:12

Raphael Gellar ‏@Raphael_Gellar 9m9 minutes ago Israel

According to a report in Israeli newspaper 'Haaretz', Guy Luzon is expected to be named Reading FC manager in the coming days.

Who? Ex Charlton failure.. :|

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34629428

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 04 Dec 2015 16:15

Spoke with someone earlier who knows Martin Kuhl. Sounds like the players might be in for a bit of a shock (if only temporarily)

:lol:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Dec 2015 16:15

oxf*rd no.

That's surely got to be a joke?!

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Dec 2015 16:16

He was the Charlton manager for a few months.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Dec 2015 16:16

Winston Smith Spoke with someone earlier who knows Martin Kuhl. Sounds like the players might be in for a bit of a shock (if only temporarily)

:lol:

Good, I'd love to see him put Sa in his place. He just looks like a petulant pcunt doesn't he?

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 04 Dec 2015 16:19

One8Seven1* Raphael Gellar ‏@Raphael_Gellar 9m9 minutes ago Israel

According to a report in Israeli newspaper 'Haaretz', Guy Luzon is expected to be named Reading FC manager in the coming days.

Who? Ex Charlton failure.. :|

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34629428

Lol

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 04 Dec 2015 16:19

Honestly don't know. Ill try anyone at the minute. Got nothing to lose. Pearson has a good reputation. Not sure Id want anyone back whos managed before.
The one who would get my vote is the manager that ships Hector out back to Chelsea within the first 5 minutes of his arrival.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 04 Dec 2015 16:25

If we are going for a foreign no mark then I vote some random unknown Thai who brings over unusual traditions which go on to be lolzed at in years to come

I would give up 6 months of a season for those lolz

1219 posts