Welcome back Brian!

1226 posts
sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

Re: Welcome back Brian?

by sputnik » 17 Dec 2015 09:47

Chelsea/Royal Talk Sport just announced McDermot to be named later on today.

As have Sky

Chelsea/Royal

by Chelsea/Royal » 17 Dec 2015 09:49

genome
Chelsea/Royal Talk Sport just announced McDermot to be named later on today.

:D

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 17 Dec 2015 09:51

wingnut As E-P put it earlier (in this thread, I think) whatever style you play it looks shit if you're losing.

We've been playing the possession-based short passing game for three years now and, generally, we've been shit at it and it's been fcuking painful watching us. Sure, there've been some decent spells and on occasions we've looked good, but these have been few and far between.

So I have no problem with a more direct style of play and I'm hopeful of a return to some genuine width in the side - if it's effective.

TBH I don't either & agree on the width but it would be nice to see them complete a few passes occasionally. Again like others have said, we had a decent balance in the side when Gylfi was here.

I am looking forward to see a higher tempo game from us I must admit. Been sorely lacking since he left.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 17 Dec 2015 10:20

As expected, he didn't want to start off with 2 away defeats. The pressure on for a result on Sunday.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Dec 2015 10:30

PieEater As expected, he didn't want to start off with 2 away defeats. The pressure on for a result on Sunday.

pROFLessuROFLe

Don't be ridiculous, he's not even been announced yet :lol:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Dec 2015 10:31

We often played a 'high tempo' game under Clarke. Although often we didn't.
Rather than tie a manager to whatever the currently fashionable cliche is I want Brian to produce a team that wins and is reasonably good to watch. Just because he got a specific group of players playing one way doesn't mean he isn't smart enough to get a different bunch of players playing in a different way.
He'll have more good will from the fans than anyone else they could have appointed, he's got as good a track record as anyone else they could have appointed and he's add to his experience since he left us. I suspect the time spent scouting at Arsenal will be hugely beneficial as well.
Good luck Brian, you've got a very good squad to work with, decent owners and fans wanting you to do well.
How can it not work ?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Dec 2015 10:31

Maguire
PieEater As expected, he didn't want to start off with 2 away defeats. The pressure on for a result on Sunday.

pROFLessuROFLe

Don't be ridiculous, he's not even been announced yet :lol:

brian out!

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 Dec 2015 10:32

Armadillo Roadkill Last night was a great illustration of why Brian is probably the right man for the job right now. Talented players unable to cope with coming under pressure - and needing that extra self belief and team spirit.

Should we gain promotion then we might well face the same problem as last time unless (a) he gets a lot more backing and (b) his tactical awareness has developed. I think Adkins was quite right in that you can play Championship football to get out of the Championship, but you go straight back down from the Premiership if you carry on playing that way.

Putting all that aside, he's a manager the fans love and who will galvanise the squad. You'd have to be a real sour puss not to be excited.

What style football do Pulis and Allardyce teams play? They seem to do ok at this Premiership malarkey. I'd also suggest from a football standpoint McDermott is more pragmatic in his approach than those two.

'greed in general though.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Dec 2015 10:33

I actually thought we were trying to play too high a tempo last night, it just ended up with players panicking, playing loose passes and giving the ball away.

McDermolenko

by McDermolenko » 17 Dec 2015 10:38

Can we remove the '?' from the thread topic again?

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 17 Dec 2015 10:39

Welcome back Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vx3rFB0OZg

It wasn't over after all....

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 17 Dec 2015 10:59

Completely disagree - Swap taylor for Keown (If your not going to play him whats the point in bringing him along?) Bring on Cooper for Ferdinand.

If he had done that we could have kept the shape that was successful in breaking down Hull in the 1st half - with Hector protecting the back 4.

As soon as he brought on Alex (who I rate) and moved Hector to RB and Gunts to LB we started to crumble under their pressure.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Dec 2015 11:22

moonwalklikebas Completely disagree - Swap taylor for Keown (If your not going to play him whats the point in bringing him along?) Bring on Cooper for Ferdinand.

If he had done that we could have kept the shape that was successful in breaking down Hull in the 1st half - with Hector protecting the back 4.

As soon as he brought on Alex (who I rate) and moved Hector to RB and Gunts to LB we started to crumble under their pressure.

wrong.

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 17 Dec 2015 11:39

melonhead
moonwalklikebas Completely disagree - Swap taylor for Keown (If your not going to play him whats the point in bringing him along?) Bring on Cooper for Ferdinand.

wrong.

Debate the point...feel free to expand. If you think I'm wrong then tell me why?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Dec 2015 11:43

moonwalklikebas
tidus_mi2
Dave-Royal who going to to be Brian number 2 ?
Nigel Gibbs ?

Wouldn't mind Kuhl getting bumped up to Brian's ass. man. he showed enough last night to suggest he's got a good tactical head on him.

If anything Kuhl showed last night that at this level he is tactically inept. Would like to see someone like Murty who is doing good work at Norwich at the moment.

So good that none of my Norwich m8s seem to have the first clue who he is or what he does.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 17 Dec 2015 11:52

The biggest mistake Kuhl made last night was not having 11 substitutes (one for each position). Also, he should have been able to use 4 subs, particularly after Gunter head-butted the Hull player's boot.

Masterminding what will be possibly the Championship's goal of the season during the first half, and ensuring Bond had a very good game were pure luck. After all, an inept manager/coach couldn't have had anything to do with it.

Holding Out Hope

by Holding Out Hope » 17 Dec 2015 12:08

Wonder what price we are to go down this season??

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Dec 2015 12:14

Holding Out Hope Wonder what price we are to go down this season??

Ranges from 40/1 to 200/1

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 17 Dec 2015 12:23

Sounds like Terry Burton is the preferred choice as assistant manager. Wealth of experience.... would compliment Reid well.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 17 Dec 2015 12:35

Pepe the Horseman
He got it spot on in the first half. Only went to shit when we were forced to change it.

Yeah but his changes weren't great.

1226 posts