Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: FAO Chris Gunter

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 10 Jan 2016 19:08

Deliberate handball = cheating
Deliberate foul = cheating
Deliberate dive = cheating

No cheating is honourable is it? So as its all dishonourable I expect we'll now see thousands of threads for each deliberate act of cheating, every game.

It's sanctimonious ranting on at players for doing it. Seeing a player get a broken leg from an honest yet over zealous tackle is far worse right? Except the mongdivs on here kicking off about cheating would probably excuse the offender for various different reasons. He was hyped up; it was his debut etc

Cheating is cheating and no cheating is better or worse than any other.

GET OVER IT!

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 10 Jan 2016 19:40

RoyalBlue Typical of some of the footballing ignorant idiots on here that they first completely incorrectly blame Gunter for conceding the penalty (clearly weren't at the game and didn't even bother to look at the video) and then, rather than just concede they were wrong, still try to pin some of the blame on him! :twisted:

Tell me about it, I think it makes them feel better about themselves

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jan 2016 21:21

I get not rating Gunter. He's a great athlete, but not a particularly good defender and not particularly good going forward. We could certainly do better, but we could also very easily do worse.

Whilst he's not the bravest of defenders, and I find him frustrating and would rather we let him go to find someone better, I don't see the point of getting nasty about him. He seems a really nice, genuine guy, who just isn't quite talented enough or quite nasty enough to be that great. And given how much we paid for him and that we brought him in for the PL, his so-so performances are certainly a bit disappointing, but not really that bad.

The amount of stick he gets, even though I don't rate him, I can't help but start feeling sorry for him and want to defend the poor ickle puppy.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Jan 2016 16:50

Have just got round to watching the goals from Saturday.
For those defending Gunter just take a look at his non-attempt to block the winger's cross for their first goal.
This is not a rarity-it happens in every game and is terrible full-back play.
I liked the look of Clarke playing at right-back yesterday at Chelsea for Scunthorpe but our past record in signing a full-back from Scunthorpe is not good. :cry:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 11 Jan 2016 16:52

Super Kevin Bremner! Deliberate handball = cheating
Deliberate foul = cheating
Deliberate dive = cheating

No cheating is honourable is it? So as its all dishonourable I expect we'll now see thousands of threads for each deliberate act of cheating, every game.

It's sanctimonious ranting on at players for doing it. Seeing a player get a broken leg from an honest yet over zealous tackle is far worse right? Except the mongdivs on here kicking off about cheating would probably excuse the offender for various different reasons. He was hyped up; it was his debut etc

Cheating is cheating and no cheating is better or worse than any other.

GET OVER IT!

On the subject of that, Shane Long has to have been the biggest diver I have ever seen at the club but everyone loves him.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 11 Jan 2016 20:12

Victor Meldrew Have just got round to watching the goals from Saturday.
For those defending Gunter just take a look at his non-attempt to block the winger's cross for their first goal.
I liked the look of Clarke playing at right-back yesterday at Chelsea for Scunthorpe but our past record in signing a full-back from Scunthorpe is not good. :cry:

Think you could argue that he had no support from centre backs or Williams and had two players to mark. He went towards the central player first and then as Williams got back to help he had very little time to close down the winger.
If you don't like him and think he's shit you will always find fault
Likewise we make excuses when our favourites make mistakes

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Jan 2016 20:17

bcubed
Victor Meldrew Have just got round to watching the goals from Saturday.

Think you could argue that he had no support from centre backs or Williams and had two players to mark. He went towards the central player first and then as Williams got back to help he had very little time to close down the winger.
If you don't like him and think he's shit you will always find fault
Likewise we make excuses when our favourites make mistakes

It just happens too often in his case.
The first priority of a full-back is to defend and in that respect, regardless of his athleticism, it is a fail.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Jan 2016 16:28

Really struggle to see what he brings to the table and was again awful yesterday. Ball after ball came in from our right side and picked up a cheap yellow as he lost his bearings and was beaten (again), positionally he's all over the shop.

Going forward he is attrocious, he gets in the right areas but his final ball is inexcusable. It's consistently awful. For the first time we actually had a few players in the box and he his deliveries were useless, every single one.

Having a complete waste of space at right back (all this Mr. reliable talk is a load of crap, the lad is a liability) has a knock on effect on the whole team. For a start opposition target that side because they do their homework - and they reap the benefits from, and going forward he's not a threat so our attacks break down and we end up playing centrally.

The sooner he goes the better.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Jan 2016 16:53

CountryRoyal Really struggle to see what he brings to the table and was again awful yesterday. Ball after ball came in from our right side and picked up a cheap yellow as he lost his bearings and was beaten (again), positionally he's all over the shop.

Going forward he is attrocious, he gets in the right areas but his final ball is inexcusable. It's consistently awful. For the first time we actually had a few players in the box and he his deliveries were useless, every single one.

Having a complete waste of space at right back (all this Mr. reliable talk is a load of crap, the lad is a liability) has a knock on effect on the whole team. For a start opposition target that side because they do their homework - and they reap the benefits from, and going forward he's not a threat so our attacks break down and we end up playing centrally.

The sooner he goes the better.

Long past his sell by date

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 17 Jan 2016 17:03

I can't see any way that he'll be offered a new contract and I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we signed a new right back in the window for the longer term. McDermott signed Kelly after a few months of watching Gunter last time around so clearly doesn't rate him.
I hoped Keown might have stepped up by now but he missed a lot of time through injury in the Autumn. It will be interesting in general to see if some of the younger lads get some game time in the latter part of the season assuming we are safe in mid table. We could do with another couple stepping up for next season as Tshibola and Cooper have done this year.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Jan 2016 17:28

Can see this being a case of you don't know what you've got till it's gone. Was better than Taylor on Saturday and offered far more going forward, yet still gets singled out :| Similar to Vydra getting all the flack when McCleary fluffed the best opportunity of the game.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Jan 2016 17:35

Disagree with him being better then Taylor, but admittedly he wasn't much worse. Taylor is a far more defensive full back and can be forgiven for his attacking inadequacies. Gunter is awful at both ends of the pitch.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Jan 2016 17:56

Pepe the Horseman Can see this being a case of you don't know what you've got till it's gone. Was better than Taylor on Saturday and offered far more going forward, yet still gets singled out :| Similar to Vydra getting all the flack when McCleary fluffed the best opportunity of the game.

We should be looking to upgrade and not just extend his contract, but be mindful that if we can't find the right player for the right price and his wage demands are reasonable he's ok to extend.

6 Million Dollar Man

by 6 Million Dollar Man » 17 Jan 2016 18:26

He has the brain to overlap the right winger, but when he gets the ball, his crossing is utterly abysmal. Unlikely to get a new deal, and will surely go for free in the summer

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 17 Jan 2016 20:27

Pepe the Horseman Can see this being a case of you don't know what you've got till it's gone. Was better than Taylor on Saturday and offered far more going forward, yet still gets singled out :| Similar to Vydra getting all the flack when McCleary fluffed the best opportunity of the game.

Agreed
Though I must admit he was pretty poor on Saturday

When playing alongside McCleary he has regularly provided excellent support going forward. Their mutual understanding is well documented and he has put McC through or put in good crosses himself (yes really) on many occasions. Again I must admit not so much this year,

In defence he's ok and although he sometimes gets out of position he is often seen covering and making a vital last ditch interception.

Taylor is defensively sounder but not much and offers nothing going forward
I suspect he (Gunter) will get a new contract

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Jan 2016 20:30

......so when he's gone, who do we pick-on next?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 18 Feb 2016 18:16

Our escape goat 'til 2018

Chelsea/Royal

by Chelsea/Royal » 18 Feb 2016 18:39

TFF Our escape goat 'til 2018

Is that a goat that escapes? Or is Gunter going to be our scapegoat?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Feb 2016 18:48

Chelsea/Royal

Know your HNA memes.

Chelsea/Royal

by Chelsea/Royal » 18 Feb 2016 18:50

Ian Royal
Chelsea/Royal

Know your HNA memes.

.?? pardon

189 posts