Will Paolo Hurtado be given a chance under McDermott ?

sloughroyal123

Will Paolo Hurtado be given a chance under McDermott ?

by sloughroyal123 » 28 Dec 2015 21:40

With Gareth Mcleary scoring today, Ola John being impressive and Nick Blackman being the clubs leading goalscorer this year. The Peruvian international is way down the pecking order. Is he going to get another chance to prove he deserves a run in the team?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Will Paolo Hurtado be given a chance under McDermott ?

by SCIAG » 28 Dec 2015 21:54

Blackman's only looked worth a spot in a 4-3-3, when he has freedom to come inside and support the main striker and the midfield can cover his defensive duties.

Lucas Piazon has been in great form recently, and only looks worth a spot in a 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 which lets him play in his best position and doesn't ask much of him defensively. In other words, unless one of them successfully changes their game, we can probably only play one. If we are to use a 4-4-2, I'd argue that we certainly can't use Blackman on the wing.

In a 4-3-3, our wide options are, in rough order, Blackman, Vydra, McCleary, John, HRK, and then Hurtado (after that, Piazon and young players). It seems unlikely that Hurtado will get many chances in that set-up.
In a 4-2-3-1, our wide options are McCleary, John, Vydra, HRK, and Hurtado, and then Blackman and youngsters. As Vydra and HRK will often be needed in the central positions, it looks like Hurtado could have a good chance if we persist with Piazon.
In a 4-4-2, we need wide men who will do their share of defensive work. It's incredible to think Vydra wouldn't be one of the front two, and I'd feel uncomfortable starting John in such a set-up. So, if we use 4-4-2, I think Hurtado will find himself behind only McCleary and HRK.

I thought he was useful against Everton, but we've not seen much of him since. He just doesn't have John's raw pace or the track record of McCleary/HRK/Blackman.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Dec 2015 22:59

SCIAG In a 4-4-2, we need wide men who will do their share of defensive work. It's incredible to think Vydra wouldn't be one of the front two, and I'd feel uncomfortable starting John in such a set-up. So, if we use 4-4-2, I think Hurtado will find himself behind only McCleary and HRK

Well, John was used in a 4-4-2 today, and he shirked his defensive duties leaving Quinn exposed, so your point is valid. Vydra didn't even start in a 4-4-2 today. Hurtado had 20 mins up a Rotherham and I thought he did alright. Might make the bench for the next game though

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Dec 2015 23:09

3points
SCIAG In a 4-4-2, we need wide men who will do their share of defensive work. It's incredible to think Vydra wouldn't be one of the front two, and I'd feel uncomfortable starting John in such a set-up. So, if we use 4-4-2, I think Hurtado will find himself behind only McCleary and HRK

Well, John was used in a 4-4-2 today, and he shirked his defensive duties leaving Quinn exposed, so your point is valid. Vydra didn't even start in a 4-4-2 today. Hurtado had 20 mins up a Rotherham and I thought he did alright. Might make the bench for the next game though

I don't think what we played today was really a 4-4-2. Piazon played much deeper than HRK and Vydra. Admittedly he didn't do much when he tracked back, so you could argue we may as well have been playing 4-4-2.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 14 Jan 2016 08:16

So Brian has basically said its Hurtado's lack of English which is keeping him out of the squad. Can't we just hire a translator? Surely its not that difficult to explain football to somebody?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 14 Jan 2016 09:16

I had you down as slightly smarter than that EP :?

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 14 Jan 2016 10:08

Extended-Phenotype So Brian has basically said its Hurtado's lack of English which is keeping him out of the squad. Can't we just hire a translator? Surely its not that difficult to explain football to somebody?

I believe Sa is currently helping him with the language and that he barely speaks a word of English, even now.

Hopefully he can settle in properly over the summer and make an impression over the summer. Could still play a key part for us towards the end of this season with the fixture pile up and injuries.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 14 Jan 2016 10:12

RoyalJames101
Extended-Phenotype So Brian has basically said its Hurtado's lack of English which is keeping him out of the squad. Can't we just hire a translator? Surely its not that difficult to explain football to somebody?

I believe Sa is currently helping him with the language and that he barely speaks a word of English, even now.

Hopefully he can settle in properly over the summer and make an impression over the summer. Could still play a key part for us towards the end of this season with the fixture pile up and injuries.

Most expensive Adult Learning English language course in history.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 14 Jan 2016 10:25

Surely they should send him to one of those fast English learning courses. A lot of people go on them and can learn the basics of the language, enough to get by anyway, in a matter of a few days/weeks.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 14 Jan 2016 10:47

He has at least half a day free every sodding day of the week - and that's if he actually plays a game. He ought to be able to do something productive with his his spare time.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 14 Jan 2016 10:51

Also - surely a part-time interpreter would cost the club about 30k a year - weighed up against the 60k a month Nelly Hurtado is costing us in doing absolutely nothing.

I'm no economist, but that seems a bit daft.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Jan 2016 11:26

you say hurtado, I say hurtado*
lets call the whole thing off

doesn't really work in type

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Jan 2016 11:33

"b-all". "BA-AAALLLLLLLL".

"BAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL"

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 14 Jan 2016 12:22

He's Peruvian, so Spanish is his first language. Obviously picked up enough Portuguese living in northern Portugal that Sa can translate for him. Must be a bright kid. Maybe he can do the same again with English? Maybe Fernandez could translate for him - they are both native Spanish speakers. after all.

So, I'd guess it's not just the language. It's cold. The food is rubbish. Reading could seem pretty austere. He's lonely and homesick. Or there's something else. We don't know and McDermott probably can't say. But at least he's sending out signals that there may be a future for him, so let's hope that something improves and the Peruvian gets his chance to shine.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 14 Jan 2016 12:33

Portuguese and spanish have a lot in common, tbf

Making the jump to English would be harder, if he was spending a couple of hours a week in one on one lessons he should be getting there.

From what Brians said it sounds like he's starting to comprehend but doesn't want to risk replying... oh to have the English confidence to just talk louder and slower ;)

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 14 Jan 2016 12:49

As Mcd said in an article, Kebe was exactly the same.

Barely featured during the season that we went down, gradually eased into the side the following year and became a big player for us over a few seasons.

Hopefully Hurtado will be eased into the side in the same way, you saw glimpses of what he could do against Everton and I think he could become a big player for us based on what I have seen prior to moving to Reading.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 14 Jan 2016 12:50

Our signings over the past 2 and a half years have been largely appalling haven't they :x

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Jan 2016 13:18

floyd__streete Our signings over the past 2 and a half years have been largely appalling haven't they :x

No. Williams, Murray, Norwood, McShane, Quinn, Taylor, Hector - none of them apalling signings.

Most of the rest this season it's too early to say.

Drenthe is the only apalling one since relegation that immediately springs to mind.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 14 Jan 2016 13:51

Ian Royal
floyd__streete Our signings over the past 2 and a half years have been largely appalling haven't they :x

No. Williams, Murray, Norwood, McShane, Quinn, Taylor, Hector - none of them apalling signings.

Most of the rest this season it's too early to say.

Drenthe is the only apalling one since relegation that immediately springs to mind.

Agreed, I think Cox has also struggled to reach the standards expected and would do well to earn a new contract this summer. Really hope he proves me wrong but I can't see it.

Mackie was one that got away too, very hard working player that would have thrived under Brian's style. Clearly he would prefer to be with the plastic hoops though :x

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Jan 2016 14:50

Cox has also struggled to reach the standards expected

expected by who?