BFTG - Burnley

165 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Burnley

by Hoop Blah » 14 Feb 2016 17:20

West Stand Man So basically you disagree with every key point he makes! And well done too as it is pretty much unfounded opinion.

Ermmm, nope. I disagreed with some of the details but total agree with the general point of expectations, performances and progress being pretty poor if yesterday is seen as much of a positive sign.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Feb 2016 17:26

West Stand Man
Hoop Blah
West Stand Man ....if it was a penalty then AAH should have been booked (at least).

Why?

Because the nature of the foul (if it was one) is that it was preventing a goal scoring opportunity. It is pretty usual for those types of fouls (if it's was one) to draw a card of some colour.

Mind you, elbowing an opponent in the face might be seen as cardable too. As might kicking out at an opponent!

A foul isn't a booking though and there is nothing in the laws that suggests that the kind of foul he was penalised for should result in a yellow. If it was preventing a clear goal scoring opportunity then it would be a red. It wasn't.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Feb 2016 17:32

Hoop Blah
West Stand Man So basically you disagree with every key point he makes! And well done too as it is pretty much unfounded opinion.

Ermmm, nope. I disagreed with some of the details but total agree with the general point of expectations, performances and progress being pretty poor if yesterday is seen as much of a positive sign.

Ermmm, yes you did. But your desire to constantly sit on the fence rather actually have an opinion means you have to pretend you agree with him to avoid confrontation.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Feb 2016 18:13

Haha, whatever.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Feb 2016 18:28

sandman
Hoop Blah

Ermmm, yes you did. But your desire to constantly sit on the fence rather actually have an opinion means you have to pretend you agree with him to avoid confrontation.

There's a difference between rejecting playing the polarised opinion game by taking a balanced and nuanced stance and sitting on the fence.

Hoop clearly doesn't sit on the fence, he also clearly doesn't kneejerk and take an extreme view. He's one of the better posters on here by far. Someone who's worth reading even if you disagree with what he says.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 14 Feb 2016 19:16

Jackson Corner We tried to plat football today but it's difficult on that pitch. As bad as I can remember and more rain this week won't improve things.

Interesting you mention the pitch, they've had 6 days to prepare that, should be ashamed of themselves, but equally may explain why they missed from 6'

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 14 Feb 2016 19:18

How often do they re-lay the pitch? Is it every other season?

It looked fine last season so maybe it's just due a re-lay in the summer.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 14 Feb 2016 19:26

sandman
Super Kevin Bremner! Coming away from that game today, listening to Radio Berks and reading what the local hack had to say about the performance, you could have been easily forgiven for thinking that was a really entertaining nil nil, played with a high tempo and with a demonstrable increase in the standard we've been used to of late.

Wow! Is this really where we've ended up this season? In August and September we had a slick, stylish attacking side that played beautiful football in the opposition's half. We had two centre backs that whilst not infallible, were oozing the kind of class and confidence that we've not seen in the Reading back four since the days of Wdowczyck and Williams.

We had a striker that had a lovely touch, held the ball up well and was a constant outlet for the defensive players. He had an eye for goal too. We had probably the best 'number 10/attacking midfielder' I've seen at this club since Simon Osborn was doing his thing, in Lucas Piazon, and quite frankly we were tearing this league a new asshole.

Yesterday, he was stuck on the left wing whilst Stephen Quinn sat in his 'off the striker' role. Both did excellent at the start of the season in the exact opposite positions, so it just seemed like madness to me that they were where they were.

Then you had Kermorgant. Now I like to think I give players a good chance before I judge them, and I don't think I've done that here yet, but the early signs are that he just doesn't look anywhere near good enough to help us challenge for play off places this year, let alone next year when he's gotten even older. A very typical McDermott kind of player. Slow and steady.

That's the crux of this for me. Our expectations now Brian's back in charge are at ground level. The only thing that came out of yesterday's game was that there was some passion and spirit. But was there really any until Barton and his mates started winding things up? We reacted by simply getting stuck in too. Jesus, is that all we can be excited about now? External drivers of walkers on the opposition being needed to give us a bit of a pointless spark?

Those who remember the last promotion season properly will remember the first half that season being absolutely woeful, and the team being relentlessly booed off the pitch after most home games. We're back there right now, and I can't see the wood for the trees this time around.

I went through the roller coaster of thinking 'NO!' when they appointed McD, then getting genuinely excited on his first couple of games back, and now back to earth with a bump.

Yesterday was nothing short of dire in a footballing respect. We need to win games, not play centre backs in front of the back four to congest the hell out of the midfield. When we lost the ball yesterday, you could had chucked a large bed sheet over 6 or 7 Reading players at any one time. It was clueless and like watching kids' football.

Maybe I expect to much, hoping to see us string more than 3 passes together, but ask anyone who has a genuine idea about football and they'll agree that anyone who fails to get a run together with this current squad has massively underperformed.

Was Steve Clarke a twat for talking to Fulham? Yes. Should he have been given longer to put this right? Definitely. Was he getting more out of these players? I think so.

Suppose that's pretty irrelevant now, but it's just such a shame that we now see a battling performance as such a big win for us.

Stopped reading when you said Piazon was our best attacking midfielder/number 10 you've seen since Osborn. Presumably you had your eyes shut when Gylfi was here.

This post shows up in one how moronic and nit-picking so many of the posters on here are.
SKB posts a perfectly fair summary of how things are as he sees it (whether or not one agrees) and what we get next is a pedant pointing out that we have had Gylfi since Super Si-so what?
The poster might actually think that Osborn was as good as Gylfi , if not better, and IMHO there is little to choose between the two.
I don't agree about Piazon-he is too lightweight for me, but I agree with almost all of the rest of the post that was well worth reading.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 14 Feb 2016 20:04

Royal Ginger
RG7Fan
Royal Ginger I think that's a good shout in hindsight, but at the time of the call i didn't disagree.

Watched Rakels closely again. Hes good a very good idea of where everyone is and is very accurate and precise. Hope he can replicate that over 90 minutes.

Brian should have put Rakels on as soon as Barton was booked with the express instruction to get in his face and wind him up. Cant imagine Barton would have been on the pitch for long, and it would have been good to see the two of them squaring up to each other - i know where i'd put my money.

I like the look of Rakels, pretty nippy and a good touch. Get him match fit and scoring and it will be Matej who?

As was pointed out earlier - only one loanee, and Cooper instead of Ferdinand. Gives a bit of a view as to what next year could be like.

Two loanees, Hetor and Piazon.

Oops - yep forgot Hector was a one ...

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 14 Feb 2016 20:18

taipairoyal Now we really could do with a Joey Barton type of player in the Reading squad, someone with so much passion and bite, someone who wears his heart on his sleeve and always gives 100% combined with no lack of skill or commitment. Very much in the mould of a Mick Gooding, Trevor Hurlock or even a "Punch up Price" type of player. Barton Definitely MOM.

We've got plenty of that at times!

Barton is certainly passionate, but he should be no where near a football pitch - 6 months for assault, and then 4 months suspended for ABH within 12 weeks. The guy is a disgrace. He should have been off the pitch well before the end.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Feb 2016 20:19

Victor Meldrew
sandman
Super Kevin Bremner! Coming away from that game today, listening to Radio Berks and reading what the local hack had to say about the performance, you could have been easily forgiven for thinking that was a really entertaining nil nil, played with a high tempo and with a demonstrable increase in the standard we've been used to of late.

Wow! Is this really where we've ended up this season? In August and September we had a slick, stylish attacking side that played beautiful football in the opposition's half. We had two centre backs that whilst not infallible, were oozing the kind of class and confidence that we've not seen in the Reading back four since the days of Wdowczyck and Williams.

We had a striker that had a lovely touch, held the ball up well and was a constant outlet for the defensive players. He had an eye for goal too. We had probably the best 'number 10/attacking midfielder' I've seen at this club since Simon Osborn was doing his thing, in Lucas Piazon, and quite frankly we were tearing this league a new asshole.

Yesterday, he was stuck on the left wing whilst Stephen Quinn sat in his 'off the striker' role. Both did excellent at the start of the season in the exact opposite positions, so it just seemed like madness to me that they were where they were.

Then you had Kermorgant. Now I like to think I give players a good chance before I judge them, and I don't think I've done that here yet, but the early signs are that he just doesn't look anywhere near good enough to help us challenge for play off places this year, let alone next year when he's gotten even older. A very typical McDermott kind of player. Slow and steady.

That's the crux of this for me. Our expectations now Brian's back in charge are at ground level. The only thing that came out of yesterday's game was that there was some passion and spirit. But was there really any until Barton and his mates started winding things up? We reacted by simply getting stuck in too. Jesus, is that all we can be excited about now? External drivers of walkers on the opposition being needed to give us a bit of a pointless spark?

Those who remember the last promotion season properly will remember the first half that season being absolutely woeful, and the team being relentlessly booed off the pitch after most home games. We're back there right now, and I can't see the wood for the trees this time around.

I went through the roller coaster of thinking 'NO!' when they appointed McD, then getting genuinely excited on his first couple of games back, and now back to earth with a bump.

Yesterday was nothing short of dire in a footballing respect. We need to win games, not play centre backs in front of the back four to congest the hell out of the midfield. When we lost the ball yesterday, you could had chucked a large bed sheet over 6 or 7 Reading players at any one time. It was clueless and like watching kids' football.

Maybe I expect to much, hoping to see us string more than 3 passes together, but ask anyone who has a genuine idea about football and they'll agree that anyone who fails to get a run together with this current squad has massively underperformed.

Was Steve Clarke a twat for talking to Fulham? Yes. Should he have been given longer to put this right? Definitely. Was he getting more out of these players? I think so.

Suppose that's pretty irrelevant now, but it's just such a shame that we now see a battling performance as such a big win for us.

Stopped reading when you said Piazon was our best attacking midfielder/number 10 you've seen since Osborn. Presumably you had your eyes shut when Gylfi was here.

This post shows up in one how moronic and nit-picking so many of the posters on here are.
SKB posts a perfectly fair summary of how things are as he sees it (whether or not one agrees) and what we get next is a pedant pointing out that we have had Gylfi since Super Si-so what?
The poster might actually think that Osborn was as good as Gylfi , if not better, and IMHO there is little to choose between the two.
I don't agree about Piazon-he is too lightweight for me, but I agree with almost all of the rest of the post that was well worth reading.

The SKB post was drivel and the Gylfi part of the response was a small example used to highlight how stupid the post was.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Feb 2016 20:24

RG7Fan
taipairoyal Now we really could do with a Joey Barton type of player in the Reading squad, someone with so much passion and bite, someone who wears his heart on his sleeve and always gives 100% combined with no lack of skill or commitment. Very much in the mould of a Mick Gooding, Trevor Hurlock or even a "Punch up Price" type of player. Barton Definitely MOM.

We've got plenty of that at times!

Barton is certainly passionate, but he should be no where near a football pitch - 6 months for assault, and then 4 months suspended for ABH within 12 weeks. The guy is a disgrace. He should have been off the pitch well before the end.

Agreed.

Being passionate does not equate to elbowing people or shoving them. It may please simpletons who post stupid petitions about closing borders but it doesn't fool anyone with a brain.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 14 Feb 2016 20:38

3points It feels like Norwood has been here forever. Is this really only his second season?

It felt like (and I'm sure the stats say otherwise) that our results were just as good, if not better, when we had a massive injury list at the start of one Adkins' seasons and we had to rely more on our academy players like Jake Taylor and Aaron Kuhl

At the end of Adkins first (and only) season in the Champ we ended 7th missing out by a point to Brighton (we can blame that on Gunter's own goal away to them - lol). Since then things have been a lot worse in terms of table position, despite the amount of money spent.

Norwood joined summer 2014 IIRC - his initial play was great from memory, great long passes, etc. But lately it doesn't seem to work, and yesterday he was poor.

I can see both him and Williams going this summer - good players, but not really working for us at the moment. If the money comes in and it gets the wages down then I can see the club going for it. Evans is there long term, and Tish (if he can stay fit). Quinn can do left or centre. This season is pretty much a write off - once we're safe(ish) I can see the loanees being benched in preference to next years squad (I think we are seeing that with Cooper v Ferdinand already).

biff

by biff » 14 Feb 2016 20:45

who the fck boos that performance? what more could you ask for considering the circumstances? christ

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Feb 2016 21:05

RG7Fan
3points It feels like Norwood has been here forever. Is this really only his second season?

It felt like (and I'm sure the stats say otherwise) that our results were just as good, if not better, when we had a massive injury list at the start of one Adkins' seasons and we had to rely more on our academy players like Jake Taylor and Aaron Kuhl

At the end of Adkins first (and only) season in the Champ we ended 7th missing out by a point to Brighton (we can blame that on Gunter's own goal away to them - lol). Since then things have been a lot worse in terms of table position, despite the amount of money spent.

Norwood joined summer 2014 IIRC - his initial play was great from memory, great long passes, etc. But lately it doesn't seem to work, and yesterday he was poor.

I can see both him and Williams going this summer - good players, but not really working for us at the moment. If the money comes in and it gets the wages down then I can see the club going for it. Evans is there long term, and Tish (if he can stay fit). Quinn can do left or centre. This season is pretty much a write off - once we're safe(ish) I can see the loanees being benched in preference to next years squad (I think we are seeing that with Cooper v Ferdinand already).

Norwood was a potential PotS after his first six months here, and is a strong contender for PotS this season as well.

He's had a couple of off games recently. Hopefully it's not a sign of only being able to perform in the first half the season when there appears something to play for.

We'd definitely miss him.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 14 Feb 2016 21:24

sandman
The SKB post was drivel and the Gylfi part of the response was a small example used to highlight how stupid the post was.

Precisely.

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 14 Feb 2016 21:52

tidus_mi2 How often do they re-lay the pitch? Is it every other season?

The pitch was shite last season as well so they re-layed it in the summer.
lf anything,it looks worse this season, can only blame the rugby for that!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Feb 2016 21:58

Sorry, the pitch conditions are irrelevant

......same for both teams and all that

Where do you think your kids get to play and learn their trade?
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 14 Feb 2016 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 14 Feb 2016 21:58

MR. CYNICAL
tidus_mi2 How often do they re-lay the pitch? Is it every other season?

The pitch was shite last season as well so they re-layed it in the summer.
lf anything,it looks worse this season, can only blame the rugby for that!

You just need a couple of rugby matches played when the weather is crap during the game and then the pitch is done for the season it appears. The pitch was absolutely fine until Christmas and then Irish played there on a really wet day just after Christmas and the pitch has looked crap ever since

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 14 Feb 2016 22:01

RG7Fan
Royal Ginger Two loanees, Hetor and Piazon.

Oops - yep forgot Hector was a one ...

The point I made earlier was there was only one loanee on the pitch at the end of the game as Piazon had been replaced by McCleary

165 posts