FA Cup memories.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

FA Cup memories.

by Winchester Royal » 22 Feb 2016 14:02

Reading FC have reached the quarter finals in four of the last six years, with Wembley still fresh in the mind from last season. The FA Cup has become a competition in which we have recently progressed further than expected in successive seasons, with some memorable results along the way. My top 5 memorable ties in this time are:

Reading 3-0 Bradford - 2015.
After a 0-0 draw in the mud at Valley Parade which could have gone either way, a convincing home win against a Bradford side that appeared to run out of steam sends Reading to Wembley. Red cards, early goals, and a great atmosphere. Both fixtures were memorable in their own right, with Alex Pearce playing on with a broken nose in the first game, and Felipe Morais getting a straight red in the replay which as good as secured the result. Shame about the massive fine for the pitch invasion, but the somersaulting lunatic was amusing.

West Brom 2-3 Reading - 2010.
After a 2-2 draw at the Madejski, in which Jimmy Kebe scores after 9 seconds, Brian Howard's last minute goal in the replay sends an underwhelming Reading into extra time. Gylfi Sigurdsson scores from 30 yards and puts Reading into the Quarter Finals against Villa, where a 2-0 HT lead is overturned in the first 11 minutes of the second half. A last minute penalty rubs salt in the wounds, but the first half performance, in which Shane Long scored twice, was perhaps one of the most memorable cup performances in recent memory. Shame that the second half was such a catastrophe.

Liverpool 1-2 Reading - 2010.
Despite an awful season in the league in which Brian McDermott takes the reins from Brendan Rodgers, one of his first few games sees Reading draw 1-1 at home, taking Liverpool to a replay at Anfield, with a last minute penalty equaliser and a Shane Long header in extra time. Jobi McAnuff goes on the second greatest run in FA Cup history and then slides the ball wide. I missed the replay as I had pleurisy.

Reading 1-2 Arsenal - 2015.
In extra time, I dared to dream before Federici let the ball squirm through his legs after a number of fine saves. Seeing Reading score at Wembley against Arsenal was special and the goal celebration was memorable. I expected Reading to get turned over 3 or 4 nil, such was the standard of performances in the league, but thankfully the team put on a show and the result was no embarrassment.

Reading 3-1 West Brom - 2016.
West Brom seemed the obvious winner of this fixture and it looked that way when they opened the scoring in the second half. However two headers from set pieces put Reading ahead before Piazon secures the win in added time against expectations. A proper cup tie, overshadowed by West Brom chucking coins at their own players.

Any other cup memories from this time that stick in the mind for whatever reason?

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: FA Cup memories.

by Tony Le Mesmer » 22 Feb 2016 14:10

If you were to extend that period to the last 30 years you'd probably come up with the same list, such was our poor cup record prior to 2010. Loads of memories, just all for the wrong reasons.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 22 Feb 2016 14:14

Tony Le Mesmer If you were to extend that period to the last 30 years you'd probably come up with the same list, such was our poor cup record prior to 2010. Loads of memories, just all for the wrong reasons.

I did contemplate the 1-1 draw at Old Trafford which Federici starred in and Briniesta scored our equaliser, but the replay which we lost 3-2 after leaking 3 goals in 6 minutes was gutting.

Even when we made it through to a QF against Man City, the preceding games seemed relatively routine.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 22 Feb 2016 14:14

Bryn hitting the crossbar against United in the 3-2 defeat in 2007 :cry:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Feb 2016 14:21

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a defeat more than our 3-2 loss to Man United in 2007 (?). We held them 1-1 at Old Trafford, MOTM display from Federici in one of his first matches from us. He was at fault for one of the three goals they scored in the first six minutes in the replay.

In the second half we were the better team, with Lita, Doyle and Kitson all on the pitch and looking threatening. Brynjar hit the bar with a dipping shot late on, which would have made it 3-3 and taken it to extra time.

Ah - gazumped by a few others.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Feb 2016 14:21

One of the stand out FA Cup memories for me would have to be the 0-3 home loss to Man Utd in 96 or 97, early on in my life as an active supporter. It was the first time I'd ever seen us play a giant of world football and despite the scoreline we didn't let ourselves down. It was the first time I'd seen football legends playing in the flesh.

It seemed like what football was all about and I don't think it'll ever leave me.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 22 Feb 2016 14:23

Despite an awful season in the league in which Brian McDermott takes the reins from Brendan Rodgers, one of his first few games sees Reading draw 1-1 at home, taking Liverpool to a replay at Anfield, with a last minute penalty equaliser and a Shane Long header in extra time. Jobi McAnuff goes on the second greatest run in FA Cup history and then slides the ball wide. I missed the replay as I had pleurisy.

The whole away end seemed to sing The Final Countdown riff from the equalizer to the final whistle.

Great game.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 22 Feb 2016 14:26

RoyalJames101 Bryn hitting the crossbar against United in the 3-2 defeat in 2007 :cry:

My heart leapt - an inch lower and that would have been one of the cup's best goals in one of the best games.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 22 Feb 2016 14:27

Winchester Royal
Tony Le Mesmer If you were to extend that period to the last 30 years you'd probably come up with the same list, such was our poor cup record prior to 2010. Loads of memories, just all for the wrong reasons.

I did contemplate the 1-1 draw at Old Trafford which Federici starred in and Briniesta scored our equaliser, but the replay which we lost 3-2 after leaking 3 goals in 6 minutes was gutting.

Even when we made it through to a QF against Man City, the preceding games seemed relatively routine.

Soft spot for Everton away, actually, as the seating was so bent we had to stand in some old terrace with a shit view for the game.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 22 Feb 2016 14:30

RoyalJames101 Bryn hitting the crossbar against United in the 3-2 defeat in 2007 :cry:

Good shout. Took my godson to this, he was only 6 at the time, sat right behind goal in the North Stand. I had to pay adult price to get him in with a borrowed ST :evil: . His face when it hit the bar was a picture, he just stood there open mouthed such was the reaction of everyone around. He says he remembers it clearly.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 22 Feb 2016 14:32

stealthpapes

The whole away end seemed to sing The Final Countdown riff from the equalizer to the final whistle.

Great game.

A bit harsh that Brynaldo doesn't get a mention for his role in the winner

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 22 Feb 2016 14:45

I'll just cruyff turn you, nutmeg you and swing in a perfect cross.

At the speed that would embarrass an oil tanker.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 22 Feb 2016 14:49

It's all about RFC vs Arsenal, 1972.

I think I can even spot me and another Nobber leaning over the wall at the front of Southbank.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/pick-past-reading-1-arsenal-6685426

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 22 Feb 2016 15:23

stealthpapes I'll just cruyff turn you, nutmeg you and swing in a perfect cross.

an absolute shoo-in for my top 10 RFC moments.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Feb 2016 16:35

stealthpapes I'll just cruyff turn you, nutmeg you and swing in a perfect cross.

I like to think Pearce's stepover at Donny was an honourable nod to that.

We should encourage our players to do slow motion silky skills to honour Bryn.

el_presidente

by el_presidente » 22 Feb 2016 16:50

Last edited by el_presidente on 22 Feb 2016 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Feb 2016 16:52

Dick Habbin's hairdo It's all about RFC vs Arsenal, 1972.

I think I can even spot me and another Nobber leaning over the wall at the front of Southbank.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/pick-past-reading-1-arsenal-6685426

I agree with you on this one because of the big gulf between the sides at the time whereas for the 1-1 at Old Trafford,which was also memorable, we were then playing at the same level.

Although it has been said that historically we haven't done much in the FA Cup there are some memorable occasions and I'll throw in a game at home to Sheffield Wednesday (then a top side)when IIRC we lost 3-2 and the 0-0 away at Man City before City went on to win the league either that year or the next.
Although City then stuffed us at home it was also a memorable night.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 22 Feb 2016 17:03

Think the 1-0 over Everton away needs mentioning.

Quite enjoyed the Lita hat trick in the 3-2 replay win over WBA.

Heart break against Villa too..

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 22 Feb 2016 17:11

Heartbreak at Wealdstone in the late 70s - how many times did the ref let them re-take the winning penalty?!

Bishops Stortford at home was pretty grim too.

But a shout-out for the Linden Jones 'hat-trick' in the 2-1 over Sunderland in 1990 - the first time in 60 years we beat a top division team.

K9hassel

by K9hassel » 22 Feb 2016 20:55

Reading v Aldershot 1st Round 1977. Proper cup match. Came back from 1-0 down to win 3-1 with Lawrie Sanchez the sub that day.From waiting at the station for the Aldershot trains to chasing them back to Reading Central after the game, a great day out .