BFTG Forest (H)

Blue Blood

Re: BFTG Forest (H)

by Blue Blood » 06 Apr 2016 07:15

Agree with the comments on Obita and McShane but also thought Quinn, as he often is, was an unsung hero.

He covers a lot of ground doing the dirty work and when in possession very rarely concedes it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Apr 2016 07:53

Delighted for you seahawk!

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Apr 2016 08:03

Pleased for SeaHawk to have seen a good game, a win and also to have been involved in the half time competition.

One thing I wanted to post here was about the differences between the team as it is now, and how it was under Steve Clarke. I was watching last night and I have a few times in the last couple of months, and the team are FAR better under McDermott than they were under SC.

I only say this as I have seen people on Twatter and some on here saying moronic things such as "one more loss and he's got to go", or "he's not the right man for the job".

Well, I think he is. He's taken a random mixture of players and made what I think is a team.

I planned to post this even at 0-1 down and would have still posted this had we lost. Yea I know it's not been pretty every week, especially those travelling to long away days.

But I just wanted to say I think he is doing a job for us, and think we will improve and actually compete if the summer goes to plan for Brian in regards to signings and changes.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 06 Apr 2016 08:16

A good showing, the midfield still playing well as they did against Bolton, but with some actual, decent crosses and attackers who, whilst not perfect still, we're much improved today. Forest sat back and allowed us to pass the ball around the midfield with relative ease, but made it difficult to get anything from good opputunities with some very tight marking in the box (felt like two Forest players to each one of ours in the box at one point). Their goal was a dissapointing one to concede but it was our only lax moment in the game at the back against a team who offered very little attacking threat. We absolutely dominated the game and definitely deserved the win. Big deflection off a possibly offside Vydra may look like we fluked it a little but the goal was thoroughly deserved and what a strike from Norwood to win it, great strike.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 06 Apr 2016 08:23

Fully agree that last night shows that McDermott is starting to really improve the team. A far more fluent performance, with bodies in the box, full backs getting forwards, and much more movement off the ball.

No one had a bad game really, but I would like to highlight Cox. I thought he was really good - who knows what a run of games and a bit more support from a manager (either manager) could have done for him. Harsh to be subbed off.

The body language when we went behind to an admittedly very accomplished Forest goal looked worrying, but they picked it up and really dominated the game.

Good night's entertainment - all the more enjoyable as I was expected a totally flat game, but the crowd responded to the team's commitment and vice versa.

Well done Brian.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 06 Apr 2016 08:29

I really enjoyed that. Still couldn't believe we were a goal down at HT. The players didn't let their heads drop and got rewarded with 2 great second half goals. I think if we had a Shane Long kind of forward playing then we'd have won that by a cricket score.

Forest were awful, we played some tidy battling McDermott football today. Even the throw ins were taken quickly. Hopefully a sign of things to come next season.

Ps if any club representatives are reading this then tell Hammond to offer Norwood a new contract immediately!

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 06 Apr 2016 08:32

Late game absue of Mills was a highlight :lol:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Apr 2016 08:35

Last night when Vydra came on, there was a noticeable difference to our play. As soon as a defender had the ball, Vydra was off running, actually ANTICIPATING the long ball and the flick on. In one case he was clean through (I thought on-side) but given off-side.

Yesterday Cox never really looked like scoring (in 65 minutes). We were far more threatening when John and Vydra came on.

Without those two we look “competent” but devoid of any real flair

BUT

Did people notice the sudden upsurge in energy from the team, at 65+ minutes? Not "because" John and Vydra came on, but (it looked to me) that McDermott's plan is always the same, and that's to play it tight until 65 minutes and then open up and go for three points, as the risk of losing one point is more than off-set by the bonus of wins.

Al H is a revelation. Hard to believe I'm happy to see him on the team sheet but he seems a good guy, a character and a very decent keeper. We need to remember that when he has a blunder some time in the future. I hope we give him a new contract.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Apr 2016 08:41

Snowball Al H is a revelation. Hard to believe I'm happy to see him on the team sheet but he seems a good guy, a character and a very decent keeper. We need to remember that when he has a blunder some time in the future. I hope we give him a new contract.

Yea I love the guy, probably my favourite player joint with McShane. I like his passion mainly, even the way he seems absolutely ecstatic to have won the game and always enthusiastically claps each stand, more so than other players.

Plus he's good at stopping footballs going in the net.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Apr 2016 08:46

We didn't seem to miss our wingers. Both FBs had decent games but Obita especially so. Obit should teach Gunts how to be more positive when he has the ball.

Crosses much improved but none of Kermie's headers were "gimmees" that demanded to be planted in the net. Still work to do there.

Cox is decent but Cox-Kermie isn't the right partnership and I didn't expect goals from them. It was very "workmanlike"

Cooper was fine, McShane was AWESOME and edged MoM for me over Obita.

Ignoring his goal and assist Norwood had a game that was very good in parts but also made 3-4 blunders that we got away with. Quinn would be my first midfielder on the team sheet every time. Great player seems to be always there to help out.

I still think Williams is the weak link. It's easy to go "Oooh" when he does these little runs, but what he does, 9/10 times is to run twenty yards and then pass ten when he could have passed thirty in the first place. He actually slows movements down and he loses the ball too much. I would have a fit Tish over him in a heartbeat. I would prefer Fernando. I'd like to see the new kid.

it's not that Williams is a bad player (and of course he's got a few goals) but that he stops our midfield being "a machine". I seriously believe we should cash in and get a more classic player.

The radio seemed to think Kermie had a very good game. I DO think he might form a very good partnership next year with Vydra (or Rakels) or a new player but I don't think he is playing WELL for us yet.

Cox is workmanlike (go on for 60 minutes and tire the opposition) but he doesn't look like a player who would get ten goals in a full season. He's "4th striker" in my eyes.

Piazon was getting stuck in more. I would quite like him to get another year with us because his class would show through next year and he'd do well for us.

John was OK when he came on, but he looked like he desperately wanted to get another 25-yarder. Sign him!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Apr 2016 08:47

bobby1413

Plus he's good at stopping footballs going in the net.

This is sometimes useful in a keeper.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 06 Apr 2016 08:48

Let's be honest. This was really a pre-season friendly. Two teams that had nothing at all to play for.
The pressure was off, the players looked more relaxed and tried to play a bit. There probably wasn't the same intensity from Nottingham Forest that you would usually expect from a Championship side in this dog eat dog division.

We played some good football. Piazon linked up the play really well, especially in the first half. There was more of an effort to get balls in to the box. Kermorgant looked threatening all night and was unlucky not to get the ball in to the back of the net. (You won't hear Dellor criticise him for a hatful of missed chances. He only does that for Vydra).

The Forest goal came against the run of play and maybe that was a little lesson for us that we need to concentrate a bit more at the back. But on the other hand, this looked much more like a Coppell performance where we are going to concede a couple of chances at our end but we overwhelm the opposition so much with the chances that we create that we are going to come out on top. Al Habsi had to bail us out on more than one occasion as tide after tide of Reading attacks was met with the odd counter attack from Forest who looked threatening on the break.

After undeservedly going in at the break a goal down, it was more of the same In the second half. Having probed the Forest defence for 15 minutes without much joy, McDermott decided to roll the dice and on came Ola John and Super Matej Vydra.

Another Reading attack resulted in a corner which fell just outside the box. Oliver Norwood smashed it goal bound and Super Matej Vydra executed a sublime finish to take it past the keeper and get us back on level terms! An outstanding goal from an outstanding striker.

Once we were on level terms there was only ever going to be one winner and up popped Oliver Norwood again with an absolute screamer that flew past the Forest keeper crashing off the post and hitting the back of the net. 2-1 Reading. There were a couple of scares before and after our second goal which Al-Habsi expertly dealt with.

Another 3 points for the Royals. I thought it was too much to expect two straight wins after the international break. We are usually poor after an international week. But it's great to see the players come back and put in two really good performances and take maximum points.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 06 Apr 2016 09:03

Very similar to the Bolton game, lots of chances, yet couldn't finish them.

We were slightly better last night as we had to actually play against a team rather than against a bunch of players who were uninterested in trying to win.

Very happy with how things are turning out, the formation got the best out of our players, the only other change you would consider would be Kanu for Piazon and then we wouldn't be so unbalanced on the right.

Gunter often has to do so much on his own hence why he gets so much stick for going backwards. The man's fitness is on another level though, reminds me of Murty's ability to get up and down constantly throughout a match..
Last edited by LWJ on 06 Apr 2016 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Apr 2016 09:25

All over them. Some absolutely stunning football at times.
Chronic lack of goalscoring touch. as has been the case since ALF left

AAH- little to do 6
Thought Piazon had a great first half (put himself about, great energy and tracking back, decent attacking play. faded a bit in the 2nd. 7
Quinn again excellent 8
Williams decent enough 6
Mcshane, standard, solid 8
Cox again excellent, if not threatening 7
Cooper - usual mix 6
Gunter decent 7
Obita mixed (gr8 going forward, outpaced at the back and lucky to escape with no booking for continually grabbing players as they waltzed past him.) 7
Norwood mixed, but grabbed game by the scruff in the 2nd. And the good outweighed the bad by some way in the end.) 8
Kermo OK, apart from cant score. won a lot of headers, unlucky with a couple of em, a decent enough hold up/link man. 7
John was appalling when he came on. 4

Brian 8 had the team playing a great mix of intricate quick passing through the middle, and quick breaks down the wings (as with Bolton)
Tactics and set up were again excellent, full backs bombing forward to provide width, Piazon at the point of the diamond,Norwood at the back sweeping up and pinging balls, Quinn and Williams in the middle breaking things up and playing it forward, subs worked well, Vydra (8) changed the game
though im still not mad keen on the play it tight for an hour, try to win the game in the last 30 tactic. but if it wins us games, I aint gonna complain too much

Pleased with result and performance. unbeaten at home, and two wins in a row :lol: getting there
if we had a proper striker we'd be deadly
Last edited by Maneki Neko on 06 Apr 2016 09:33, edited 1 time in total.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 06 Apr 2016 09:26

Lower West MOM Obita.

Ye, he had that no. 22 on toast.

How and when did Nottingham Forest get so bad? They always used to be a good bet for playoffs

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Apr 2016 09:34

John Smith
Lower West MOM Obita.

Ye, he had that no. 22 on toast.

How and when did Nottingham Forest get so bad? They always used to be a good bet for playoffs

was being eaten on toast himself a fair bit too.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 06 Apr 2016 09:41

They were shit.

We were alright and tried to do the right things, and played some good stuff.

Deserved the win and hopefully this will be a building block for next season.

George_

by George_ » 06 Apr 2016 10:15

Really enjoyed last night (first time I have said that in a while)

Obita back to his best, reminded me of him from the 13/14 season.

McShane superb as ever, POTS for me.

Norwood a lot better and back to early season form, would love to see a midfield of Quinn-Norwood-Tshibola next season.

All about trying to get momentum going into next season now.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Apr 2016 10:27

First time in i don't know how long that i didn't freeze my bollocks off, so therefore it was a more enjoyable experience.

Forest were dire. They had two shots of note, the first al habsi did well to save, and in fact made it look far more difficult than it actually was, (hint of fedders waving to him mum type of save). Then against the run of play goal, where if al habsi had been quicker of his line or obita hadn't been caught to far up the pitch , could of, and should of been avoided. I don't know what forests' game plan was... they didn't get men behind the ball, they didn't attack in numbers, they just seemed to sit back at let us through time and time again.

I feel we are just about ready to click and a side is going to take a proper hiding from us over the coming weeks, just a shame it is 10 games to late. We weren't magnificent today by any stretch of the imagination, but we looked well organised, passing was quicker and more to feet - i don't know if the much improved pitch had anything to do with this. The full backs over-lapped well, and supplied the 50p head Kermorgant with decent service. This was in part because of playing Quinn and Williams as wide midfielders, allowing the full backs to get further up the pitch knowing the defensive minded pair in front of them will help out defensively.

Norwood ran the show in midfield, too often his 50 yard diagonal in recent games have just been for show and have never really offered anything penetrable. Today though and mainly because of forests inability to close down and offering far to space down the wings meant Norwood had a field day with his passing.

McShane and Cooper had nothing to do, nothing.

Cox looked lively i thought, good workrate back to his old self, just needs a goal and i think we could have a useful player again, and we all know that McDermott can get the best out of average players.

kermorgant, still not sure about this guy, heading ability looks suspect, he had numerous chances and should have had a couple today at least.

Matt Mills, what a oxf*rd

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 06 Apr 2016 10:43

John Smith How and when did Nottingham Forest get so bad? They always used to be a good bet for playoffs

Looked like a managerless team to me. There was 10 minutes in the second half when it looked like we would have to spend the rest of the game breaking down two banks of four, as you would expect from a team out of form away from home. But they abandoned that for no real reason, and reverted to defending really badly, and putting no pressure on Norwood. Its like they didn't scout us at all. I'm not saying Birmingham are Behemoths of this division, but Saturday's game will be much harder.

The first half was statistically very nice. Loads of crosses. Won the majority of them. But really, never felt we were dangerous. I think Gunter and Jordan are better than that, so either there is some hangover from the Clarke era, or, really, our forwards are a bit rubbish. There was nothing bad, per se - although that wasn't Cooper's best game; but we don't half lack creativity and, yes, pace, sometimes.

Unlike Snowball, I thought John was all the difference. He might hate passing, and runs down alleys, but he's the sort of player that causes an opposition team to lose their composure. I don't think Forest were ever comfortable (but that's mainly because they're not very good at the moment) but they were noticeable uncomfortable when we started running at them. It was then that we started to look dangerous - even if Ola himself wasn't particularly. I'm not remotely sure what his asking price is - but we should at least inquire

Hoping we play out the rest of the season. I've written the Middlesborough game off, but the others are up for grabs, in my opinion.