Based on This Season ONLY: Clarke or McDermott?

Clarke or McDermott?

Clarke
36%
McDermott
64%

Total votes: 72
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Based on This Season ONLY: Clarke or McDermott?

by John Smith » 13 Apr 2016 10:07

This was brought up on the radio last night, simple question - who has had the better season in charge?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Based on This Season ONLY: Clarke or McDermott?

by Maneki Neko » 13 Apr 2016 10:12

purely on football Clarke had had the team playing better more consistent football for that wonderful 6/7 games (before everyone worked us out)
But these players are clarkes, the team is imbalanced because of Clarke, its full of loanees because of Clarke, their confidence is shot because of Clarke, the instability is clarkes fault- the huge rebuild was too much all at once, and it was fudged completely, and then he oxf*rd off leaving us in the shit.

so given all that, and over the whole season, id choose brian every time

George_

by George_ » 13 Apr 2016 10:35

Clarke had an in form Blackman, Sa who was 2nd top scorer & Tshibola looking very good in front of the back 4. We played some great football in Late August/September/early October. But after that we won 1 in 8 games. We had a system under Clarke which benefited Blackman and lead to success, but when Blackman had a dip in form the team had a dip in form.

Brian has had Blackman for a couple of games (and he was out of form then compared to early season form) Sa was on his way & Tshibola was injured. He also came in when the majority of the team had lost a great amount of confidence from the early season momentum. Brian brought in Evans who i think could be a decent signing for the future, Kermorgant who just isn't very good and was given Rakels who has only played a handful of games.

If Brian had Clarke's early season team i honestly think he would have kept the momentum going & we would have been around the play offs now.

Overall I'd give them both a 6 - but i know I'd prefer Brian to be dealing with the much needed changes in the squad this summer than Clarke.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 13 Apr 2016 10:42

Up until the second half of Fulham away, Clarke was in charge of a squad capable of winning the Championship.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Apr 2016 10:45

George_ Clarke had an in form Blackman, Sa who was 2nd top scorer & Tshibola looking very good in front of the back 4. We played some great football in Late August/September/early October. But after that we won 1 in 8 games. We had a system under Clarke which benefited Blackman and lead to success, but when Blackman had a dip in form the team had a dip in form.

Brian has had Blackman for a couple of games (and he was out of form then compared to early season form) Sa was on his way & Tshibola was injured. He also came in when the majority of the team had lost a great amount of confidence from the early season momentum. Brian brought in Evans who i think could be a decent signing for the future, Kermorgant who just isn't very good and was given Rakels who has only played a handful of games.

If Brian had Clarke's early season team i honestly think he would have kept the momentum going & we would have been around the play offs now.

Overall I'd give them both a 6 - but i know I'd prefer Brian to be dealing with the much needed changes in the squad this summer than Clarke.

Nail, meet head

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Apr 2016 10:51

Zammo Up until the second half of Fulham away, Clarke was in charge of a squad capable of winning the Championship.
Maybe this was when Fulham first declared their interest in him as their next manager?

Clarke wanted out after spending the money/loaning players and realising it wasn't going to work out.
Brian wanted in, he inherited the mess and saw some key players depart.

Had we kept Clarke all season things would not have improved.
Had we started the season with Brian we might be in a better position.

Give Brian the same number of games at the start of next season and compare that start to that of Clarke for a better comparisson, assuming he has the same funds available to rebuild.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 13 Apr 2016 10:53

assuming he has the same funds available to rebuild.

oh.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 13 Apr 2016 11:15

Forbury Lion
Zammo Up until the second half of Fulham away, Clarke was in charge of a squad capable of winning the Championship.
Maybe this was when Fulham first declared their interest in him as their next manager?

At half-time ?

:wink:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Apr 2016 11:29

Thought the question was a simple 'who has had the better season in charge?', not who has the best excuses for failing.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 13 Apr 2016 11:48

Clarke. Better PPG.

Things are obviously falling apart under BM with last nights punch up. He's obviously not galvanised the squad.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Apr 2016 12:08

Can't vote really.

Clarke shouldn't have been sacked but Brian's done a decent job with the hand dealt to him. Birmingham is the only game I can think of that stands out where he's got things majorly wrong and but for some terrible finishing from John and particularly Vydra we'd have got more points from quite a few games. We have more fight and grit and we've actually shown some character in games like West Brom, Forest and Charlton.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 13 Apr 2016 12:17

John Smith This was brought up on the radio last night, simple question - who has had the better season in charge?

Clarke had the better season. Had it not been for his eagerness, whatever the reasons behind it, to speak to Fulham, then he'd have got us back on track and we'd have had a decent go at a P/O place.

Whilst he shot himself in the foot, we still don't know what's going on behind the scenes that would have made him want to consider his options after being backed so strongly last summer. Unfortunately SJM and Nigel Howe have too much sway at the club and now we're lumbered with McDermott who is one of the nicest guys in the game, but he isn't the man to take this club forward. There's already too many fans calling for his head. His only saving grace is the end of season approaching, but a mediocre start could see him back out the door for a second time before November IMHO. Sadly another wasted season awaits.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 13 Apr 2016 13:02

One8Seven1*
John Smith This was brought up on the radio last night, simple question - who has had the better season in charge?

Whilst he shot himself in the foot, /quote]

But he wasn't the one who made it public.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 Apr 2016 13:13

Under Clarke the team (for whatever reason) was going off a cliff. McD saved the day and stabilised things and the fight is gradually coming back into the team but he will have a lot of work to do this summer and I rather doubt that the Thais will be spending 2.5M on a loan striker next time. I think it will be a case of lots of senior players going to be replaced by and a few free or low cost transfers and youth in which case we could be in for a few years of rebuilding.

I just hope they don't expect a Leicester miracle and give Brian the time he will need.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 13 Apr 2016 13:22

andrew1957 Under Clarke the team (for whatever reason) was going off a cliff. .

:lol:

Err - they were on a poor run - but off a cliff? Massively exaggerating here..

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 Apr 2016 13:30

No Fixed Abode

In his last four games we were beaten heavily at Cardiff and Forest. We scraped a home win against Bolton and were very lucky against a bottom side and then lost at home to QPR with the team looking dispirited. Many on here were fearing relegation at that time so I don't think I am exaggerating. For whatever reason there was no fight shown in those games.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Apr 2016 13:44

this with knobs on

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Apr 2016 13:56

I'm going to wait until the season ends - we're not yet mathematically safe from relegation and if we go down, I might be inclined to vote Clarke.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 13 Apr 2016 14:42

No Fixed Abode

from 2nd, winning every week, to 13th and winning 1 in 8
I wont insist its an actual cliff, but its certainly cliff-like.

NessaFromEldorado

by NessaFromEldorado » 13 Apr 2016 14:52

One8Seven1* ...Unfortunately SJM and Nigel Howe have too much sway at the club and now we're lumbered with McDermott.

Madejski has no input on decisions whatsoever these days and is essentially a pissed up meet and greet. Howe and Hammond take responsibility for that appointment.