CONFIMRED - Jaap Stam

490 posts
Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: McDermott out - Jaap Stam in....

by Top Flight » 27 May 2016 09:58

The way Brian is being treated is disgusting.

I wish I didn't renew my season ticket now. I'm not impressed by all this sh*t that I'm hearing at all. I thought the Thais were loyal and I thought they wanted to build something. All this chopping and changing is going to see the club continue it's slide. If they want to chop and change like this and be successful, then they will need to spend big money. If they have no money, then constantly changing things will lead us to League One very quickly.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 May 2016 10:00

If McDermott gets sacked before the season starts I'll be sending a complaint to the club and asking for a refund on my season ticket (I won't get one).

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 27 May 2016 10:08

If the Thais don't have a big budget for next season, then the way they are conducting business is total lunacy.

They are bringing people in who have no loyalty, no commitment, no connection with Reading FC. People who just see Reading as a short term stop off on the way to different ambitions.

The new Reading identity which we saw so clearly this past season, is not the same as my values as a supporter. If they carry on like this, I can't see myself staying with them for this journey. I'm losing confidence in the Thais very quickly at the moment.

They should look across to Leicester and see the stability and continuity that their owners have given to them. They didn't keep changing things up every five minutes. They gave their bosses the time to build.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 27 May 2016 10:22

There are two ways of looking at this.

One is that our current owners are trigger happy and lack stability. You can certainly make that case.

The other is that they have now decided, through Brian Tevrenden, to run the club more directly themselves than previously. If you think about it Adkins was not their manager and Clarke was appointed so rapidly it was clearly a Hammond/Howe steer. That also applies to McDermott where Clarke was a dead man walking as soon as he decided to speak to Fulham so in a way their hand was forced by Clarke. McDermott for good or bad was the ultimate candidate of the old regime...

You can see a scenatrio where they think 'do you know what we've followed the advice of those who have run the club previously but nothing seems to be getting better. So lets follow our instincts and get in a foreign name (which they had obviously been pondering when Bergkamp) was mentioned post Clarke. and lets use the dutch model of developing youngsters as we haven't got much money but we do have a good youth set up....

I'm not saying I agree with what's happening. But I think there is a case to be made that we're now seeing the Thai owners exerting their control more overtly. They do own the club after all and have seen sterady decline since they took charge, based on recommendations from old regime. This latest change is where they basically say we're making the decisions now....

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 27 May 2016 10:25

I've heard that Brian Tevreden will be given the job alongside Denis Bergkamp

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 May 2016 10:38

Dave-Royal get reading online from Charles watt
said Stam could be our new manager ??

He got it from me Dave. Share sources.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 27 May 2016 10:39

There was a reddit thread regarding Ajax's new managerial appointment (an Israeli guy).

Anyway, there was agreement between the Ajax fans there that Stam was rightly overlooked as his performance as manager of the 2nd XI had not been very good and they were playing rubbish football.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 27 May 2016 10:44

'do you know what we've followed the advice of those who have run the club previously but nothing seems to be getting better. So lets follow our instincts and get in a foreign name '

this thinking is flawed.
X is happening, so it must be because Y
with no consideration to any of the other letters of the alphabet

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 27 May 2016 10:47

Ian Royal If McDermott gets sacked before the season starts I'll be sending a complaint to the club and asking for a refund on my season ticket (I won't get one).

Send them the complaint now - then Brian will definitely get the sack.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 27 May 2016 10:48

Only one Trevor Morley There are two ways of looking at this.

One is that our current owners are trigger happy and lack stability. You can certainly make that case.

The other is that they have now decided, through Brian Tevrenden, to run the club more directly themselves than previously. If you think about it Adkins was not their manager and Clarke was appointed so rapidly it was clearly a Hammond/Howe steer. That also applies to McDermott where Clarke was a dead man walking as soon as he decided to speak to Fulham so in a way their hand was forced by Clarke. McDermott for good or bad was the ultimate candidate of the old regime...

You can see a scenatrio where they think 'do you know what we've followed the advice of those who have run the club previously but nothing seems to be getting better. So lets follow our instincts and get in a foreign name (which they had obviously been pondering when Bergkamp) was mentioned post Clarke. and lets use the dutch model of developing youngsters as we haven't got much money but we do have a good youth set up....

I'm not saying I agree with what's happening. But I think there is a case to be made that we're now seeing the Thai owners exerting their control more overtly. They do own the club after all and have seen sterady decline since they took charge, based on recommendations from old regime. This latest change is where they basically say we're making the decisions now....

Superb posting mate. Doing justice to the man in your avatar.

I think this is what's happening (if it is), and for that reason I don't think it's a reason to panic but rather be interested in the future. McDermott for whatever reason wasn't getting it right this time round but if a 'fully backed choice' can give it a try then why not? He could be the new Koeman. Or he could be the new Solskjaer.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 27 May 2016 10:49

I really don't know what to say about all this

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 May 2016 10:58

Only one Trevor Morley There are two ways of looking at this.

That's a good post, though i don't buy Clarke as a Hammond and Howe pick, they normally take their time and Clarke was practically flown in overnight.

I do have concerns that McDermott was a Madejski appointment, harping back to the days of success based purely on nostalgia and sorting out what he saw as a past decision he didn't like.

But the time to assert control by appointing their own man is not now. It is once McDermott has had a fair crack of the whip. We need some stability.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 27 May 2016 10:59

Top Flight They should look across to Leicester and see the stability and continuity that their owners have given to them. They didn't keep changing things up every five minutes. They gave their bosses the time to build.

Is that the Leicester that sacked a manager from his second spell in charge of the club and appointed a big name foreigner in the close season?

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 27 May 2016 11:01

I would feel like going to McDermott's house and giving him a hug if he got sacked

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 27 May 2016 11:03

John Smith It's not happening. Stam is coming as part of Keoman's backroom staff at Everton.

Chill ya beans you lot

Said when he left Ajax he wants a managerial role, not another coaching part. and previously said he'd be happy to manage in League One / Championship. If we want him, sounds like it'll be fairly straightforward.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 27 May 2016 11:04

Winston Smith I would feel like going to McDermott's house and giving him a hug if he got sacked

Car Park protest outside his house?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 27 May 2016 11:06

Ian Royal If McDermott gets sacked before the season starts I'll be sending a complaint to the club and asking for a refund on my season ticket (I won't get one).

I didn't realise you needed season tickets for BBC Radio Berkshire.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 May 2016 11:10

maffff

I didn't realise you needed season tickets for BBC Radio Berkshire.

I see you've been going to the sandman and ptr school of poor quality snark.

Make an effort and get creative ffs.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 27 May 2016 11:10

Top Flight
They should look across to Leicester and see the stability and continuity that their owners have given to them. They didn't keep changing things up every five minutes. They gave their bosses the time to build.

By sacking the manager that got them promoted and improbably avoided relegation?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 May 2016 11:13

If true, disgraceful treatment. Considering everything McDermott did for the club in the past, you'd have thought that would afford him the chance to have the summer at least :| Even if he was a new manager with no connection to the club, I would have said he needed more than 4 fcuking weeks in January to sort out the mess.

Hope it's not true but seems like there's too much smoke for there not to be some sort of fire. The mind boggles.

490 posts