CONFIMRED - Jaap Stam

490 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: McDermott out - Jaap Stam in....

by sandman » 27 May 2016 21:50

Stooper
Top Flight They should look across to Leicester and see the stability and continuity that their owners have given to them. They didn't keep changing things up every five minutes. They gave their bosses the time to build.

Is that the Leicester that sacked a manager from his second spell in charge of the club and appointed a big name foreigner in the close season?

Claudio Ranieri - Manager for 30 years

Jaap Stam - Manager for 0 years

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 27 May 2016 22:55

How many years experience did Ranieri have when he took on the managerial role at Vigor Lamezia?

Everybody starts somewhere.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 May 2016 23:03

Indeed and if Jaap wishes to start at an amateur Italian team, good luck to him. If he wants to start at Reading FC then thanks but no thanks.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 28 May 2016 00:16

Jaap Stam could build a better, stronger and more aggressive style of play than we are used to recently.

It would be like watching the RFC of ten years ago, but on steroids

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 May 2016 00:53

Royal Rother I find it hard to care much about this.

Sympathy for McDermott is misplaced. He didn't have a job per se - he had a contract that paid him loads of money for a short while and, now that he failed to live up to expectations of the owners, is presumably being paid a small fortune to leave the premises.

Boo hoo.

Loyalty is petty much redundant in football now. The role of the modern manager is just a big money, short term contractual arrangement between parties that can be ended by either side at extremely short notice.

I'm sorry about the situation myself because I kind of liked Brian but I really can't get worked up about it. It's just the way things are these days.

At least it gives people something to talk about.

Then I suggest you fcuk off to Maidenhead Utd or Slough fcuking Town or some other row rent bollocks and shove some Latvian prog rock up your arse. And not come back.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 May 2016 09:51

sandman
Stooper
Top Flight They should look across to Leicester and see the stability and continuity that their owners have given to them. They didn't keep changing things up every five minutes. They gave their bosses the time to build.

Is that the Leicester that sacked a manager from his second spell in charge of the club and appointed a big name foreigner in the close season?

Claudio Ranieri - Manager for 30 years

Jaap Stam - Manager for 0 years

Ranieri hasn't had 30 years of success. In fact there have been times when he was considered a bit of a joke (don't mention the Faroes).
Plenty of players have gone into their first job and done pretty well (there must have been one or two cases at Reading....)
We simply don't know how any particular manager will do. Adkins should have been a success and wasn't, Burns had a decent pedigree but failed, Coppell has bombed at some clubs and become a god at others....

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 28 May 2016 10:44

Maneki Neko disgraceful treatment. but not surprising given our new owners love a sacking.
this is the 4th manager in 18 months
previously had four in 14 years
:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

totally screws preseason up
even with some random dutch nobody as DOF it must screw recruitment plans a little
they say it will take weeks, so that's after the season ticket renewal date too. really not sure im going to bother.
heart and soul of the club completely ripped out- (ever since anton)

Hi Brends, whilst I agree with parts of your post, do you not feel a change is better at pre season this time, rather than mid way through like the previous 3 appointments?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 May 2016 10:50

royalp-we Hi Brends, whilst I agree with parts of your post, do you not feel a change is better at pre season this time, rather than mid way through like the previous 3 appointments?

To build on what though? Not a big money club so we are left with is the scraps.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 May 2016 11:22

leon

Sympathy for McDermott is misplaced. He didn't have a job per se - he had a contract that paid him loads of money for a short while and, now that he failed to live up to expectations of the owners, is presumably being paid a small fortune to leave the premises.

Boo hoo.

Loyalty is petty much redundant in football now. The role of the modern manager is just a big money, short term contractual arrangement between parties that can be ended by either side at extremely short notice.

I'm sorry about the situation myself because I kind of liked Brian but I really can't get worked up about it. It's just the way things are these days.

Then I suggest you fcuk off to Maidenhead Utd or Slough fcuking Town or some other row rent bollocks and shove some Latvian prog rock up your arse. And not come back.

My love of non league football and prog rock really winds you up doesn't it? :D

Denial is pointless but an admission might help you get over the stress it's obviously causing you.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 28 May 2016 11:36

Nameless Ranieri hasn't had 30 years of success. In fact there have been times when he was considered a bit of a joke (don't mention the Faroes).
Plenty of players have gone into their first job and done pretty well (there must have been one or two cases at Reading....)
We simply don't know how any particular manager will do. Adkins should have been a success and wasn't, Burns had a decent pedigree but failed, Coppell has bombed at some clubs and become a god at others....

Exactly, it's all about fit and we had a squad of players who were never ever going to fit McDermott's philosophy, stupid appointment in the first place.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 28 May 2016 12:40

Uke Jaap Stam could build a better, stronger and more aggressive style of play than we are used to recently.

based on oxf*rd all but ur imagination....

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 28 May 2016 12:41

royalp-we
Maneki Neko disgraceful treatment. but not surprising given our new owners love a sacking.

even with some random dutch nobody as DOF it must screw recruitment plans a little
they say it will take weeks, so that's after the season ticket renewal date too. really not sure im going to bother.

Hi Brends, whilst I agree with parts of your post, do you not feel a change is better at pre season this time, rather than mid way through like the previous 3 appointments?
since nothing has happened at all since end of season, I think they should maybe have made the change and had someone lined up straight after the last game

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 May 2016 13:24

Royal Rother
leon

Boo hoo.

My love of non league football and prog rock really winds you up doesn't it? :D

Denial is pointless but an admission might help you get over the stress it's obviously causing you.

Nah not really, I'm sure if we met irl we would have a convivial pint

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 May 2016 13:37

Maneki Neko
royalp-we

since nothing has happened at all since end of season, I think they should maybe have made the change and had someone lined up straight after the last game

Precisely this.

And I'd rather we sack a manager during the season when we're struggling, than after the season where we'll be playing in the same division next time around.

You don't sack a manager after 5 months unless it's your only roll of the dice to avoid relegation.

No one can build anything, learn from mistakes or fix problems if you bomb them out at the first sign of mediocrity and then bring someone new in to have to start over and make mistakes again.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 28 May 2016 19:32

I can see the Stam link rumbling on for some time. Unless either party release a statement soon.

On one hand you have CW claiming his agent said talks haven't taken place.

On the other you have de telegraaf and now daily mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... paign=1490 saying talks were at an advanced stage.

Plus the bookies still listing as evs.

Hopefully come Monday Stam or the club pass comment either way.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 May 2016 20:50

Ian Royal
Maneki Neko
royalp-we

Precisely this.

And I'd rather we sack a manager during the season when we're struggling, than after the season where we'll be playing in the same division next time around.

You don't sack a manager after 5 months unless it's your only roll of the dice to avoid relegation.

No one can build anything, learn from mistakes or fix problems if you bomb them out at the first sign of mediocrity and then bring someone new in to have to start over and make mistakes again.

If the manager and the club have a fundamentally different view of how the club should be run then it makes sense to part company at an early stage, and managers don't tend to resign if they can get themselves sacked and compensated.
We have no idea what discussions prompted the change, and my view is to agree that it seems a bit crazy but if Brian did a Brendan and told the club he could only do the job if they spent crazy money the they probably needed to replace him. Brian doesn't strike me as the sort who would make unreasonable demands, and if his realistic demands were seen by the Thais as unrealistic then that is a concern.
We won't know unless Brian speaks out and he may have signed a 'no ratting' deal.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 28 May 2016 23:11

Maneki Neko
Uke Jaap Stam could build a better, stronger and more aggressive style of play than we are used to recently.

based on oxf*rd all but ur imagination....

Read the second sentence of my post you selectively quoted again... ;)

quickwingerswife

by quickwingerswife » 29 May 2016 06:36

Do we know how much Trevornden has had to do with all this. Also what about Strephen Read, is he still with us. Excited as oxf*rd now the Spin Doctor has gone, next season exciting football on order, not the shit we were served up with last term.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 May 2016 12:16

quickwingerswife Do we know how much Trevornden has had to do with all this. Also what about Strephen Read, is he still with us. Excited as oxf*rd now the Spin Doctor has gone, next season exciting football on order, not the shit we were served up with last term.

Yeah, I mean it was only poor under McDermott, not Clarke and Adkins too. It's bound to be rosey from here on in. The Thais don't at all have a track record of appoibting people who don't start well and then just sacking them.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 May 2016 16:38

quickwingerswife Trevornden

:lol:

Strephen Read

:lol:

490 posts