4-3-3

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

4-3-3

by Top Flight » 30 Jun 2016 14:23

Jaap has told Get Reading that we will be playing 4-3-3 next season.

I would have liked to have seen us move back to a 4-4-2 shape. But if Jaap can get us playing exciting football in a 4-3-3 and it suits our players and they perform well then why not.

LumpWarden

Re: 4-3-3

by LumpWarden » 30 Jun 2016 14:30

Most importantly for me - we actually have a manager who knows what system he wants to play.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 Jun 2016 14:31

Surprised we've signed another midfielder then, hope he has funds left to get a forward/winger or two, maybe a striker too.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jun 2016 14:37

Not sure the free transfer signing will have dented his budget too much....
Gives us 7 players competing for between 3 and 5 places. (Williams, Quinn, Evans, Norwood, Tishbola, Kuhl and Joey) which does seem maybe one more than we'd need.
We may not need wide players (we've got 2 right wingers, one left winger, a left sided midfielder and if we are looking at a left back we've potentially got Obita pushing forward.
We definitely need one striker, possibly 2. much depends on whether Barratt is ready for a major role this season.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Jun 2016 15:28

I just feel that in the modern game, and certainly at this level, if you don't take your chances, you don't score goals. Additionally if you don't score goals, you don't win matches

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jun 2016 16:03

Charles Watts The diamond system will be a thing of the past under Royals' new Dutch manager

Jaap Stam has revealed he will be using a 4-3-3 system next season.

There was much talk about formations towards the end of the last campaign, with many supporters unhappy at the way Brian McDermott set his team using a diamond.

But that will be a thing of the past under the new regime - with Stam preferring a system which is used by the majority of teams back in his native Holland.

“We like to play 4-3-3,” said Royals’ boss. “But from that formation you can have different varieties.

“One of the midfielders can drop between the two centre-backs and then the full-backs can go up.

“Then you have what the Italians have. Three at the back, with the full-backs further up field as extra attackers.

“From there on you can do or change what you want. It depends on the opponent as well.”

Stam met up with the majority of his senior squad for the first time on Monday when they returned to Hogwood Park from their summer break.

He and his new coaching staff of Andries Ulderink and Said Bakkati have been busy ever since working with the players, putting them through training sessions which they have not been used to before.

It’s a big change - but one Royals’ boss says the squad have adapted to well.

“I don’t know exactly how the previous managers worked and what they did, but from what I’ve heard it’s a bit different,” said Stam.

“Dutch coaches like to play possession football and from there on try to create chances and score goals.

“So we do a lot of possession work, in small shapes and big shapes - then eventually in 11 v 11 matches.

“We do a lot of passing at a very high speed. We ask a lot of the players in movement and in focus - that’s how we work.

“And up to now we have got good reactions from the players. I’ve been impressed so far with what the squad can do.”

He added: “It’s been nice to see the players on the pitch and how they react to the new staff.

“They’ve brought a lot of energy, they are really up for it - it’s been good working with them the last couple of days.”

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jun 2016 16:09

It's stating the obvious, and something that has been a fact since the first game of football was played, that you need to score to win. That's not a blinding revelation !
But if you let goals in then you have to score MORE to win. Again, I think it's pretty widely accepted that successful teams are built on a sound defence, If you don't concede many then you don't lose many. Add to a sound defence the ability to score goals and you are in business.
But to sort the attacking side out before you sort the defence is like bailing out a sinking boat without plugging the hole in the hull.
Ideally we get a rock solid defence and sign Harry Kane (old version) and solve everything at once. But I bet Jaap is making sure our defence is properly organised as his top priority.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 Jun 2016 17:01

If we can get a rock solid defence that's 100% impenetrable all season (impossible) then that's 46 points guaranteed and we'll win all the cup competitions we enter on penalties if necessary.

Barcelona Blue

by Barcelona Blue » 01 Jul 2016 09:20

- Al Habsi -

Gunts- -Cooper -McShane -Orbita

- Williams - Tish - Barrett (asuming Norwood goes)

- McCleary - Samuels - Fosu

Tish dropping back when gunter and orbita go up

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 Jul 2016 09:28

Barcelona Blue - Al Habsi -

Gunts- -Cooper -McShane -Orbita

- Williams - Tish - Barrett (asuming Norwood goes)

- McCleary - Samuels - Fosu

Tish dropping back when gunter and orbita go up

What about Joey and Denzell?

I'm sure Joey is ahead of Barrett in the pecking order.

Denzell will have to prove that he is better than Coops. That'll be interesting. Also if Denzell's best position is as a defensive midfielder then possibly he could be the one to do the Tish role and drop back when the full backs advance.

We will definitely need a couple of flair signings to make this work well. Otherwise I can see us not scoring many goals again next season.

Barcelona Blue

by Barcelona Blue » 01 Jul 2016 10:00

but actually none of us have actually seen Denzell, also I think Joey will be a bit risky for 90 minutes with his disciplinary record, maybe hes the type of player when you 2-0 down and being bullied by the other team, bring him on to see if he can turn things

Kuhl_Runnings

by Kuhl_Runnings » 01 Jul 2016 10:20

What about Paolo Hurtado?

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 01 Jul 2016 10:40

Paolo Hurtado the new Bobby Convey.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 Jul 2016 11:35

Barcelona Blue but actually none of us have actually seen Denzell, also I think Joey will be a bit risky for 90 minutes with his disciplinary record, maybe hes the type of player when you 2-0 down and being bullied by the other team, bring him on to see if he can turn things

His disciplinary record is a bit like Andy Bernal. I think we'll be alright with Joey. It's not that bad.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 01 Jul 2016 12:37

it makes me feel like not watching channel 12 on my free view box and I like that channel....... channel 25 is even more scary its dave coming back again. :cry:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Jul 2016 16:00

will we be playing inside forwards of wingers?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jul 2016 17:30

That article is extremely encouraging, but talk is cheap.

Based on that I'd expect Tish / Berg holding rather than Norwood, who shouldn't really split the CBs as that puts him too deep.

4-3-3 is what we played at our best and suits our midfield options. I'm not sure anything really fits our ropey forward line, but Fosu/ Rakels and Samuel/ McCleary could do well as left and right inside forwards potentially. don't think Kermie is up to the central job, but he's a better option than anyone else we have.

I still think we might be best off with an Italian style back three and wing backs playing 3-5-2 given what we've got to build from.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Jul 2016 17:40

Ian Royal That article is extremely encouraging, but talk is cheap.

Based on that I'd expect Tish / Berg holding rather than Norwood, who shouldn't really split the CBs as that puts him too deep.

4-3-3 is what we played at our best and suits our midfield options. I'm not sure anything really fits our ropey forward line, but Fosu/ Rakels and Samuel/ McCleary could do well as left and right inside forwards potentially. don't think Kermie is up to the central job, but he's a better option than anyone else we have.

I still think we might be best off with an Italian style back three and wing backs playing 3-5-2 given what we've got to build from.

My knowledge of Rakels is extremely poor. I havent seen him play yet but I never got the impression he could be an inside forward? What are his pros?

My first thought was to shove Quinn out there (on the left) to offer a good passing range and offer Obita more defensive stability. Between the two of them out left flank would be covered well enough.

The problem with your preferred formation is out perceived lack of actual CBs and our abundance of MCs. (IMO)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jul 2016 18:50

NewCorkSeth

My knowledge of Rakels is extremely poor. I havent seen him play yet but I never got the impression he could be an inside forward? What are his pros?

My first thought was to shove Quinn out there (on the left) to offer a good passing range and offer Obita more defensive stability. Between the two of them out left flank would be covered well enough.

The problem with your preferred formation is out perceived lack of actual CBs and our abundance of MCs. (IMO)

Lack of experienced senior centrebacks is a bit of an issue at the moment, but we do still have McShane, Cooper, Gravenberch, Dickie and Hyam, plus there's always the ability to offer a contract to Ferdinand. Cooper's far from the finished article but I think if you put two CBs with him it'll mitigate some of his weaknesses. Gravenberch might do the business or we may need one more with experience. We do have a lot of midfielders, but playing three uses more than playing 4-4-2.

Quinn on the left is an option, it'll do ok, but it's not ideal IMO. He's not really a winger. Rakels is a bit of an unknown still. He played a bit on the left early on. He's determined and he's got decent pace. I wouldn't write him off in that position. Whatever we do will take some rebuilding because we've chopped from one plan to another so much with all the different managers we've got half the pieces for one jigsaw and half for another.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Jul 2016 09:28

Ian Royal
NewCorkSeth

Lack of experienced senior centrebacks is a bit of an issue at the moment, but we do still have McShane, Cooper, Gravenberch, Dickie and Hyam, plus there's always the ability to offer a contract to Ferdinand. Cooper's far from the finished article but I think if you put two CBs with him it'll mitigate some of his weaknesses. Gravenberch might do the business or we may need one more with experience. We do have a lot of midfielders, but playing three uses more than playing 4-4-2.

Quinn on the left is an option, it'll do ok, but it's not ideal IMO. He's not really a winger. Rakels is a bit of an unknown still. He played a bit on the left early on. He's determined and he's got decent pace. I wouldn't write him off in that position. Whatever we do will take some rebuilding because we've chopped from one plan to another so much with all the different managers we've got half the pieces for one jigsaw and half for another.

Did more teams play one up front or two up front in the championship last season? I feel like if we're dead set on this formation we have great cover for opposition tactics. If they play 2 up front we play 2 deep cm if just 1 we can play 2 advanced cm.