Why are "we" booing players keeping the ball?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Why are "we" booing players keeping the ball?

by TBM » 24 Aug 2016 16:57

The missing link last night was someone in midfield willing to get the ball and take it from defence to attack.

Williams did it well when he came on - but i feel we missed Swift too much, in the style we play he is key.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Aug 2016 16:59

TBM The missing link last night was someone in midfield willing to get the ball and take it from defence to attack.

Williams did it well when he came on - but i feel we missed Swift too much, in the style we play he is key.

Is it Swift who has been doing that? From what I have seen this season either Van den Berg has pushed up from defence or Evans has dropped deeper from midfield to bridge the gap.

ronnyroyal

by ronnyroyal » 24 Aug 2016 16:59

LWJ
Winston Smith many young people believe that they have a knowledge of football far greater than they actually do.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Many old people also think this. The majority booing and shouting forward at the games this year have been 40+*

*from the people I have seen/heard.

Second this. I can see what the potential will be and would much rather have possession than hoof it. And the boo boys in the North (league games) and G9/10 last night were all of the older ilk.... Plus their retarded wives... Liam Moore's possey in the Red seats behind us last night too which made it Moore (yes I did) embarrassing.
Last edited by ronnyroyal on 24 Aug 2016 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 24 Aug 2016 17:04

tidus_mi2
TBM The missing link last night was someone in midfield willing to get the ball and take it from defence to attack.

Is it Swift who has been doing that? From what I have seen this season either Van den Berg has pushed up from defence or Evans has dropped deeper from midfield to bridge the gap.

Yeah i wasn't clear - i didn't mean actually receive the pass from the defence but is the man who drives the team forward from our half into the final 3rd....the pass may well come from another source but he's the key man in getting us up the pitch quickly (in my eyes)

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 24 Aug 2016 17:17

TBM - but i feel we missed Swift.

Swift spent the game with Callum Chambers. Future GMac and Gunter? :shock:

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 24 Aug 2016 18:13

To be honest, I think the booing was just about frustration at being behind/level to a team that should have had 4 or 5 whacked past them if we'd converted an even semi-respectable amount of decent chances from the numerous dangerous situations we created.

There are clearly some in the crowd though who can't tell the difference between being patient and having no idea, and they do treat any inability to get the ball into the box within 10 seconds of gaining possession as a sign of failure. I suspect they were a bit louder than normal.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 24 Aug 2016 20:00

When you're 1-1 against a lower division team at home with 10 minutes to go and the players are just aimlessly shuffling it between the back 4 of course the fans will get frustrated

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 24 Aug 2016 20:13

blueroyals When you're 1-1 against a lower division team at home with 10 minutes to go and the players are just aimlessly shuffling it between the back 4 of course the fans will get frustrated

Why is it "aimless"?

Why would punting it upfield be a better option?

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 24 Aug 2016 21:05

LWJ
TBM - but i feel we missed Swift.

Swift spent the game with Callum Chambers. Future GMac and Gunter? :shock:

zzzzzz.....

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Aug 2016 21:19

LWJ Because we would rather give the ball to the opposition by hoofing it up to the isolated CF? Oh and our fans are clueless as shown on the BFTG thread.

It is seriously beginning to piss me off to the extent that I think we need to introduce some crowd segregation!

Let's introduce a 'Hoof' stand/block where all the footballing ignorant moaning barstewards can sit together and grumble that we are keeping possession and, heaven forbid, sometimes passing square or backwards, rather than just hitting an aimless hoof up field in the vague direction of our vertically challenged solo forward.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Aug 2016 13:58

tidus_mi2 Williams did it well when he came on - but i feel we missed Swift too much, in the style we play he is key.

Is it Swift who has been doing that? From what I have seen this season either Van den Berg has pushed up from defence or Evans has dropped deeper from midfield to bridge the gap.[/quote]

Evans has been dropping back. The full backs push up and wide. The centre backs likewise push sideways. Against MK the best period was when Gravenberch dropped back into this role with Evans playing further forward.

The frustration comes in situations such as when the ball is played to Obita. Who is facing his own goal. With an opposition player ready to close him down. The ball can only go back from where it came. As there's no other options available. Perhaps as this a new playing style. That's what the management want the players to do. In time it will evolve further.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 25 Aug 2016 14:07

My gripe with the 'passing around at the back' is twofold :

Firstly, there are way too many occasions when a pass is made behind the target, forcing the recipient to turn back towards his own goal and taking whatever steam we had out of any movement. It's almost impossible to create quick movement if you've got to turn around first.

Secondly, the time it takes to make enough space to pass the ball into the middle third is way too long. The best exponents of this type of passing game make space in the middle third to receive the ball, then either turn with it or go back to the back line if they have to. We're not at that stage yet, but it does seem promising.

royalsmudge

by royalsmudge » 25 Aug 2016 14:23

Definitely heard the grumbles and the "get it forward" a number of times 2nd half & ET on Tuesday.
My frustrations were from the number of times we did work the ball into a good situation only to ruin it with overhit or hit 1st man cross, which must have happened a dozen times.
thought we probably over played it a little at the back 2nd half as it wasn't serving as much of a purpose in terms of opening MK up. But surely it is better than Cooper or AN Other CB lofting a long ball to Mendes where the likelihood is he'll lose the ball.

The patient build up was illustrated excellently with 1st half of Preston game, when we created a chance for Swift that he missed. We must have kept possession for ages, then we finally switched the ball with pace to create the opening. If that's what Stam is aiming to do, long may it continue.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 25 Aug 2016 14:42

Have never agreed with the booing but it is what it is.
I think the argument that this is a "GETTING-TO-KNOW YOU" side is a false one.
The line-up v Brighton contained the followiong 8 who were with us last season:-
Al_Habsi
Gunter
McShane
Obita
Evans
Williams
McCleary
Kermorgant

Swift comes from a passing background and the other two come from a European passing-game background.
It may have been different for the League Cup game but for Brighton these players were all familiar with a passing game.

I agree with sandman and others who say that possession first is a good strategy (if you have the ball the opposition can't score) but I think where we are failing is where the midfield are not picking the ball well enough off the defence and then playing telling balls further forward.
What tends to happen is that the ball is passed around the back 4 and when they all get bored it is wellied forward.

This passing from the back is far from new and most of our managers in the past 20 years have played that way, in particular McGhee, Burns, Rodgers, Adkins, Clarke and now Stam-it was only really Pardew, Coppell and Brian who wanted the ball moved more quickly forward and arguably they have been the most successful although McGhee probably could have joined them.

Time will tell if we can get the balance right and hopefully Stam will, but please let us not kid ourselves that this is a method that any reasonable footballer can't play and that the players don't know each other.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 25 Aug 2016 19:29

Frustrating thing for me is that when we have a throw in around the 18 yard box, we throw it back towards one of ours on the half way line who in turn passes it back to the keeper.
The keeper passes it out to a defender who passes it across field to another who then passes it back to the keeper who wellies it up field. Possession then invariably falls to the opposition.

Subsequently the attacking position held at the throw 5 minutes earlier is totally wasted.

Theres something not quite right!

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Aug 2016 09:48

Jaap's had his say http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... m-11802689

“I can understand the fans want the ball to go forward but you need to take into consideration that if you play with a certain style, for possession, then you need to be patient if the opponent is dropping deep.

“If you are going to be playing long balls all the time you are going to be losing the ball - if you are losing the ball then you need to chase it to win it again.

“And eventually you will put all your effort into chasing the ball and you will get tired.

“So you need to keep it and from there on try and find the gaps between the lines - from there you can create chances.”

Stam added: “So in one way I can understand the fans - but we know what we are working for, what we want to do and how we want to play - the players know that as well.

“Sometimes fans react in a certain way - and if they want to be dicks about it, we're going to have a problem. I'd like to see them do it to my face."

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Aug 2016 09:58

Yes yes yes that's all well and good but as we've already established passing it between the back 4 isn't going to drag the opposition out of position, especially if they take 2-3 touches and 20 seconds to look for an option.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Aug 2016 10:26

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 26 Aug 2016 10:58

Pepe the Horseman Jaap's had his say http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... m-11802689

“I can understand the fans want the ball to go forward but you need to take into consideration that if you play with a certain style, for possession, then you need to be patient if the opponent is dropping deep.

“If you are going to be playing long balls all the time you are going to be losing the ball - if you are losing the ball then you need to chase it to win it again.

“And eventually you will put all your effort into chasing the ball and you will get tired.

“So you need to keep it and from there on try and find the gaps between the lines - from there you can create chances.”

Stam added: “So in one way I can understand the fans - but we know what we are working for, what we want to do and how we want to play - the players know that as well.

“Sometimes fans react in a certain way - and if they want to be dicks about it, we're going to have a problem. I'd like to see them do it to my face."

I wish the last bit was true.

I just don't understand how some people would rather watch us lump it down the channels and chase knock-downs like a Sunday team.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Aug 2016 11:05

MoorgateRoyal
Pepe the Horseman Jaap's had his say http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... m-11802689

I wish the last bit was true.

I just don't understand how some people would rather watch us lump it down the channels and chase knock-downs like a Sunday team.

The problem with that is that you are assuming that's what people want. Which in turn makes you upset about it.