BFTG - Ipswich home

126 posts
Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Ipswich home

by Royal Ginger » 10 Sep 2016 00:59

We've gone from the sublime to the rediculous with Kermorgant. We've been begging for a threat in the air for years, an now we have one the ball won't stick to his feet, just bounces off him.

He wins practically everything in the air but there's never anyone in the right place. He gets the little flick that that needs someone running off his shoulder to latch onto it. Rackels was getting it at the end of last season, but our current system doesn't really allow for it.

Game was not a classic, sloppy from both sides in the 3rd quarter. I don't think Gunter and Blackett were used enough on the overlap given how high they're played.

I really like Moore. He's got all the attributes.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 10 Sep 2016 01:05

Royal Ginger We've gone from the sublime to the rediculous with Kermorgant. We've been begging for a threat in the air for years, an now we have one the ball won't stick to his feet, just bounces off him.

He wins practically everything in the air but there's never anyone in the right place. He gets the little flick that that needs someone running off his shoulder to latch onto it. Rackels was getting it at the end of last season, but our current system doesn't really allow for it.

Game was not a classic, sloppy from both sides in the 3rd quarter. I don't think Gunter and Blackett were used enough on the overlap given how high they're played.

I really like Moore. He's got all the attributes.

Agree, i guess it begs the question does the formation allow a second striker/behind the striker to mop up his hold up/aerial play....

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 10 Sep 2016 01:10

not a great performance, but did enough to win ugly in a game we would most certainly have lost last season.

bossed the 1st half in toothless style. second half we rode our luck as mcarthys men pressed higher up and made our defence look shaky at best.

replays suggest the 1st pen was correct, if a little harsh, his arm was out, but could do little about it.
second pen, less so, but there was a nudge. it looked like the ball and player were already heading out though and the Ipswich man made a terrible meal of it, which the ref bought.
Third was a definite pen. after stopping play and booking a player, the ref had no choice but to give it and ipswich should have no real complaints.

moore looked less assured than at Cardiff, but I thought blackett looked pretty decent. very strong on the ball.
he did make a couple of errors where he switched off, but otherwise assured. obita offered more going forward though.
Mcshane continues to worry me this season, and gunter was gunterish throughout.

love joey, hes a nut job.

sort of enjoyed it, despite the ref being awful, and our crowd engaging in some pathetic booing.
up to third. itll do.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 10 Sep 2016 01:11

thanks to muirinho for the free ticket
and it was good to notch another spotted of, and meat up with the north stand condiment man, royal ginger

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 10 Sep 2016 01:15

Despite having a ST tonight was my first actual game this season.

Sorry chaps, but we were shit. That was worse than an Adkins team at their meandering worst.

Give the ball to the centre backs inevitably being closed down by the opposition, who then try to avoid gifting a goal. Crazy. Absolutely crazy. We looked a shambles at the back. All self inflicted and we'd get fcuked by a decent front line.

Joey VdB is a beast without a neck, who likes a tackle/grapple - I like him. Just what we've been missing. He's got to drop to pick the ball up though otherwise we'll be conceding goals like we did at Newcastle.

Don't like the style of play, we created very little and second half Ipswich could have scored a couple, until the ref decided to settle it.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 10 Sep 2016 01:16

loyalroyal4life Really do not know how Kerm is going to play week in week out 90 mins, hopefully that will change, he looked like he faded after 60 mins!

Swift looked decent when he came on, would have thought he be pushing for a starting berth on Tuesday.

I can see the performances improving although I think the passing at the back especially to Ali looked suspect, put alot of pressure on him which he didn;t cope well with!
seemed to cope with it very well, one or two errors aside

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 10 Sep 2016 01:30

No idea why that twat mcarthy is having a pop at the ref.

Go and give your players a bollocking for giving away two blatant pens.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Sep 2016 01:58

Multi page thread over on NSC with the gem:

Reading don't even deserve my contempt but I cannot help but wish them every shred of bad luck for the rest of their existence.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Sep 2016 02:00

Anyway pleased with the result. That was the kind of game that we would've lost in the last couple of seasons, instead we won it. Promising signs if not perfect.

I am currently struggling to type having just consumed the world's spiciest kebab, and I will spend tomorrow on the toilet.

All in the name of fun.

URZ

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Sep 2016 02:07

Basingstoke Royal No idea why that twat mcarthy is having a pop at the ref.

Go and give your players a bollocking for giving away two blatant pens.

Tbf he did say something along the lines that once the referee highlights an issue, for a player to go and do it (soft or not) the very next play he is at fault and an idiot.

K.URZ13

by K.URZ13 » 10 Sep 2016 03:58

Fantastic win and we continue to exceed expectations. Plenty to be pleased about so far this season

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Sep 2016 07:15

Delighted with the result.

Happy to have a manager prepared to talk about his philosophy, with realistic expectations and an acceptance that it is a long-term learning curve for the players.

But really that was pretty awful to watch last night. Static and stagnant with fcuk all to get the pulse racing, just the occasional burst from Beerens.

I've heard the BBCRB crew call it tikka takka football. WTF...? That was about as far removed from tikka takka as it is possible to get.

I don't mind the passing around at the back stuff, waiting for the right ball - I understand that - but I expect to see some MOVEMENT in front of them giving options. So often the midfield were just standing still as Moore, Al Habsi & Co passed it between themselves. That ain't how this game plan is gonna work.

I am the eternal optimist so I believe in Stam, believe it will take a while for his vision to become reality and when it does it'll be great to watch, but right now don't try to convince me that was anything other than rather boring and pretty turgid.

JVDB was so obviously MOTM it made me sigh a little when Beerens got the award.

Moore and Blackett will be very good for us. McShane really doesn't inspire any confidence. Can't remember anything about Evans' performance at all.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Sep 2016 07:31

genome Multi page thread over on NSC with the gem:

Reading don't even deserve my contempt but I cannot help but wish them every shred of bad luck for the rest of their existence.

:lol: Classic Brighton.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 10 Sep 2016 07:49

Not a classic but 3 points.

At the time I wasn't convinced our first pen was - looked on the edge & not deliberate. With the benefit of the replay it's marginal but I think it was.
I thought their pen was at the time & still do. Blackett lost his man & while it wasn't the biggest push in history it was still a foul.
Can't believe we didn't get a pen for the rugby tackle just before the 2nd one was given. Then they tried another rugby tackle straight after & the ref must have removed his blindfold at that point.

Moore looked very good
AAH had a couple of decent saves
Blackett - unconvinced he's an improvement on Obita based on that performance. Time will tell.
McShane was generally solid, but made a couple of mistakes that we weren't punished for
JVDB very good, one saving tackle in the box where anything other than perfection would have been a pen. Also good runs at the end that meant one penalty that should have been given and one that was
Beerens was unlucky not to have a goal & an assist to his name - keeper did well on the one-on-one where he tried to square it to Kermorgant. The shot was well hit but probably too close to the keeper
Swift - good effort late on, again finding their keeper matched it with the save

Thought we were better side the first half. In the 2nd it looked like Ipswich were the more likely team if either was going to grab the win. But we dug in and grabbed all 3 points. I'll take that.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Sep 2016 07:53

Royal Rother Delighted with the result.

Happy to have a manager prepared to talk about his philosophy, with realistic expectations and an acceptance that it is a long-term learning curve for the players.

But really that was pretty awful to watch last night. Static and stagnant with fcuk all to get the pulse racing, just the occasional burst from Beerens.

I've heard the BBCRB crew call it tikka takka football. WTF...? That was about as far removed from tikka takka as it is possible to get.

I don't mind the passing around at the back stuff, waiting for the right ball - I understand that - but I expect to see some MOVEMENT in front of them giving options. So often the midfield were just standing still as Moore, Al Habsi & Co passed it between themselves. That ain't how this game plan is gonna work.

I am the eternal optimist so I believe in Stam, believe it will take a while for his vision to become reality and when it does it'll be great to watch, but right now don't try to convince me that was anything other than rather boring and pretty turgid.

Moore and Blackett will be very good for us. McShane really doesn't inspire any confidence. Can't remember anything about Evans' performance at all.

Nail. Head.

Nuremberg Royal

by Nuremberg Royal » 10 Sep 2016 08:42

Well put sir. Couldn't agree more.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 10 Sep 2016 08:51

CountryRoyal

Nail. Head.

Yep. Nailed it tbh.

JVDB dropped to get the ball quite regularly in the first half. But in frot of him Evans didn't really give an outlet. Williams was further forward at times in no mans land but not asking for it. As you say, forgot evans was playing at one point. I also thought Mcleary and Kermie didn't drop and move enough for the ball at times. tberefore not really surprised with Beerens motm as he was basically the only player in attack we had :lol:

As I said earlier in the post, all a work in progress and hopefully the youngsters can push for starting berths as the season progresses too. I do feel Stam is the type of manager who will drop men for lack of form; and give Samuel, Harriott and Meite good game time this year.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 10 Sep 2016 09:45

leon Despite having a ST tonight was my first actual game this season.

Sorry chaps, but we were shit. That was worse than an Adkins team at their meandering worst.

Give the ball to the centre backs inevitably being closed down by the opposition, who then try to avoid gifting a goal. Crazy. Absolutely crazy. We looked a shambles at the back. All self inflicted and we'd get fcuked by a decent front line.

Joey VdB is a beast without a neck, who likes a tackle/grapple - I like him. Just what we've been missing. He's got to drop to pick the ball up though otherwise we'll be conceding goals like we did at Newcastle.

Don't like the style of play, we created very little and second half Ipswich could have scored a couple, until the ref decided to settle it.

Tbf that was the worst ive seen us all season(didnt go to wolves/toon)we are much better than that

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 10 Sep 2016 09:53

I don't think we are tbf brenders.

We are absolutely rigid and obvious in everything we do and are.struggling against any team that clocks this. And with absolutely no Plan B

As already said, so far its not tikki takka, its aimless passing with no movement ot fluidity. I'm happy to see if Stam can build on this, but his utter inability to change a game with tactical subs worries me.

1st Half. Ipswich obliged us and we looked ok

2nd Half. They sussed us out and should have buried us with the chances they had

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Sep 2016 09:58

Geez

Did we lose or something?

126 posts