BFTG - Brentford (a)

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Brentford (a)

by Top Flight » 28 Sep 2016 13:14

genome Yeah from my vantage point at the top it looked a definite penalty to me, though you may have been closer.

I thought regardless of the result, it was an enjoyable away day.

Is this Brentford's last season at Griffin Park?

I'm already looking forward to next season's game. I found a great parking space and good pub just 10 minutes walk away.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Sep 2016 13:19

Sutekh Kermorgant doesn't fit with the style of play properly. He is too isolated at times and there is rarely anyone to pick up flick ons. Think it's the one position where we should push the boat out money wise and get someone with pace and power that could perhaps makes the forward line look like more of a unit than a disjointed mish-mash that is too slow to get forward together.

Spot on. Jaap Stam is building a style of play for the future. Can only work with which players are available to him. Meite hopefully will make an appearance soon so provide alternative options.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 28 Sep 2016 13:22

Focher A rare team board post.

That was utter horse shit last night, before we hit the post in the first half we didn't have 1 chance, defensively we were a shambles, midfield creativity was non existent. Yes we hit the post twice but apart from that Bentley had 1 simple save to make the whole game from memory from Beerens in the whole game. You can spray it around the back as much as you like but it all flattered to deceive. George Evans was a total waste of space, Van Den Berg looked like he was totally out of control from the 1st minute, Moore is a nice player but cant defend that well, the only player who I thought was half decent was Obita, and that's saying something. Kermogant a nice player in the wrong system, Beerens marked out the game, Al Habsi didn't do much wrong apart from dice with death about 5 times, probably because hes been told to do that. Gunter was just Gunter, average, Harriot looked like he had promise, would stick with him in the team. McShane is a basic defender who thrives off basic football, im not sure this style is for him.

In summary im not quite sure how we went 8 unbeaten, totally uninspiring, boring, Brentford were far superior in system, speed, movement, and creativity. I certainly cant fault Reading's effort which is why I walked away without too much criticism. Some of the fans were creaming themselves about some of our passing in our own half in the 1st half, if that whats they want then fair enough but I wont be going again for a while, it was a total bore to watch.

Kermorgant could have had a hat trick last night. There was the chance when Gunter whipped in a lovely cross and put it on a plate for him. All he had to do was head it in and he headed it back across goal. His intention was to score, his execution was poor.
Then he was played in towards the end of the game, only had the keeper to beat and his effort was awful. At least he took a good penalty.

In this system of play we need a Drogba style striker. Big, powerful and deadly. I don't know who the contenders are though for that role who we can actually afford.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Sep 2016 13:23

The new ground won't be too far from Griffin Park.

There are some decent Fullers pubs about the area with the brewery just down the road. Good job really, as its a pretty charmless part of London, pretty much ruined by the A4&M4

wally bassoon

by wally bassoon » 28 Sep 2016 13:29

bobby1413 Standing in the terrace behind the goal it was frustrating seeing a ball whipped in for Kermi to rise and meet it, only to head it straight across goal and not even on target.

I was stood there, I thought he managed to get it on target but the defender chested it out of the way.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Sep 2016 13:30

Top Flight
genome Yeah from my vantage point at the top it looked a definite penalty to me, though you may have been closer.

I thought regardless of the result, it was an enjoyable away day.

Is this Brentford's last season at Griffin Park?

I'm already looking forward to next season's game. I found a great parking space and good pub just 10 minutes walk away.

One more season after this, I think.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 28 Sep 2016 13:35

Lower West Brentford played a formation to nullify us. Concern must be that we are becoming too predictable to play against.

I think what you mean is "Concern must be that we are not that good at the moment"

When we don't win then we wheel out the accusation that we are predictable. Coppell's 106 team was the most predictable Reading team in history, but nobody was able to stop it. Barcelona are predictable but they are also unstoppable.

We can't be worrying about how predictable we are. We have to focus on becoming unstoppable. We just have to get better.

I don't think we were that predictable last night. We had plenty of chances against the Bees, it just wasn't our night. Also, we are not a good team yet. We gave the ball away alot. We were the architect of most of our problems last night gifting Brentford plenty of chances and we didn't play our possession game well enough. Stam was right that we tried to go long too often last night and not take the easy passes like we normally do. Even my little kid noticed that we weren't playing the way we normally do. Usually we pass it around a lot more. Last night we tried to move the ball forward quicker but kept losing it and giving it away with bad passes.

We have made good progress under Stam and things are looking good. But we are not challengers. We just have to stay up this season and have a couple more transfer windows to try and get the players that Stam needs to make us a genuine force next season.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 28 Sep 2016 13:56

Top Flight
Focher A rare team board post.

That was utter horse shit last night, before we hit the post in the first half we didn't have 1 chance, defensively we were a shambles, midfield creativity was non existent. Yes we hit the post twice but apart from that Bentley had 1 simple save to make the whole game from memory from Beerens in the whole game. You can spray it around the back as much as you like but it all flattered to deceive. George Evans was a total waste of space, Van Den Berg looked like he was totally out of control from the 1st minute, Moore is a nice player but cant defend that well, the only player who I thought was half decent was Obita, and that's saying something. Kermogant a nice player in the wrong system, Beerens marked out the game, Al Habsi didn't do much wrong apart from dice with death about 5 times, probably because hes been told to do that. Gunter was just Gunter, average, Harriot looked like he had promise, would stick with him in the team. McShane is a basic defender who thrives off basic football, im not sure this style is for him.

In summary im not quite sure how we went 8 unbeaten, totally uninspiring, boring, Brentford were far superior in system, speed, movement, and creativity. I certainly cant fault Reading's effort which is why I walked away without too much criticism. Some of the fans were creaming themselves about some of our passing in our own half in the 1st half, if that whats they want then fair enough but I wont be going again for a while, it was a total bore to watch.

Kermorgant could have had a hat trick last night. There was the chance when Gunter whipped in a lovely cross and put it on a plate for him. All he had to do was head it in and he headed it back across goal. His intention was to score, his execution was poor.
Then he was played in towards the end of the game, only had the keeper to beat and his effort was awful. At least he took a good penalty.

In this system of play we need a Drogba style striker. Big, powerful and deadly. I don't know who the contenders are though for that role who we can actually afford.

I agree he could have had a hatrick, but his overall game clearly would have suited McDermott's style of play but no this. If we could turn back time and re-sign Nicky Forster from Birmingham then there's your striker for this system.

I like him as a player, his attitude is excellent as is his work rate, fantastic in the air, Quinn like, feel sorry for him at the moment.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 28 Sep 2016 14:06

wally bassoon
bobby1413 Standing in the terrace behind the goal it was frustrating seeing a ball whipped in for Kermi to rise and meet it, only to head it straight across goal and not even on target.

I was stood there, I thought he managed to get it on target but the defender chested it out of the way.

Agreed, it was blocked. Nothing wrong with the header but two Brentford defenders did well to get themselves on the line to cover the keeper.

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 28 Sep 2016 14:14

Nice ground, enjoyed the Griffin, did not enjoy the postage stamp view i had from the back of the terrace much

Thought we played OK but were outmuscled and outpaced by Brentford in places and we definitely looked short up top. I think this season will go better than expected given that we've built from the back but the lack of striking options means we won't do much better than upper mid-table I'd wager.

Decent away day (night), best noise I've heard in a while after some dodgy showings in the last couple of years (Milwall last Feb being the nadir).

I love the Jaap Stam had a dream chant, no problem with it being sung slowly but what's with the start of it? I thought you'd normally do a "dream, dream, dream" in time with the rest. Our lot seemed to be making a weird noise like Dooeeeeee faster than the rest of it?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 28 Sep 2016 14:22

What are the words to it, I know:

Jaap Stam had a dream
To build a football team
But we had no players so went and signed them for freeeeeeeeeeeeeee
??????????????? (I thought it was "We built from the back" but it didn't sound like that when I heard it last night)
With rakells in attack
We're Reading FC, we're on our way back

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 28 Sep 2016 14:40

With McShane at the back

Although, think build from the back is better.

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 28 Sep 2016 14:44

We had no money so we had to sign them for freeeeee
McShane at the back...

You have the rest right.

Not seen ribbing of a keeper like that since Paddy Kenny away at Bury years and years ago, good stuff!

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 28 Sep 2016 14:51

decent enough song (for Reading etc etc ) but It needs to be sung faster IMO..

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 28 Sep 2016 14:55

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Sep 2016 14:55

Thought it was quite funny when the Brentford fans sung "You're Reading FC, you're on your way back" when we started leaving early

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Sep 2016 14:57

genome Thought it was quite funny when the Brentford fans sung "You're Reading FC, you're on your way back" when we started leaving early

funny and more accurate

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 28 Sep 2016 14:58

bobby1413 What are the words to it, I know:

Jaap Stam had a dream
To build a football team
But we had no players so went and signed them for freeeeeeeeeeeeeee
??????????????? (I thought it was "We built from the back" but it didn't sound like that when I heard it last night)
With rakells in attack
We're Reading FC, we're on our way back

IMO should change it to:
we build from the back,
with three in attack,
we're Reading FC, we're on our way back

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Sep 2016 15:57

Scott Chegg ‏@ScottChegg2016 34m34 minutes ago
I've written a strongly worded letter to the club demanding answers for last night and requesting my money back.Awaiting a reply #readingfc

:lol:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Sep 2016 16:33

genome Scott Chegg ‏@ScottChegg2016 34m34 minutes ago
I've written a strongly worded letter to the club demanding answers for last night and requesting my money back.Awaiting a reply #readingfc

:lol:

#D*cksOutForScott