Jaap Stam: Reading manager & ex-Man Utd star has 'maybe one' football friend

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Jaap Stam: Reading manager & ex-Man Utd star has 'maybe one' football friend

by genome » 03 Oct 2016 11:29

Manager wanting to manage at the highest level shocker

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Jaap Stam: Reading manager & ex-Man Utd star has 'maybe one' football friend

by Muskrat » 03 Oct 2016 16:14

Silver Fox
Muskrat Well that was a fukking embarrassment. Whole thing about him as an individual and his time at Manchester United and almost nothing about Reading and what he wants to do. Made it pretty clear that he sees Reading as nothing more than a stepping stone to bigger things. Surprised that the Club let it broadcast tbh.

An embarrassment? Hardly. Quite what journalistic insight you expected from a puff piece with Clem I don't know but if you find that embarrassing that probably says more about you. As for being surprised the club let it be broadcast, it's not like he said anything negative at all.

My minimum requirement would have been for him to speak enthusiatically about his appointment and describe his footballing philosophy and how it's going to improve performances on the pitch. IMO he did neither and was more than happy to let the interview content be all about his past glories at Man Utd. Please don't sit there in a Reading kit and do that. TBH I found the whole thing rather boring. But then I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised about that...

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Oct 2016 16:33

Given how much the BBC love Manchester United, I'm willing to bet it was edited heavily in favour of them.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Oct 2016 17:04

Muskrat
Silver Fox
Muskrat Well that was a fukking embarrassment. Whole thing about him as an individual and his time at Manchester United and almost nothing about Reading and what he wants to do. Made it pretty clear that he sees Reading as nothing more than a stepping stone to bigger things. Surprised that the Club let it broadcast tbh.

An embarrassment? Hardly. Quite what journalistic insight you expected from a puff piece with Clem I don't know but if you find that embarrassing that probably says more about you. As for being surprised the club let it be broadcast, it's not like he said anything negative at all.

My minimum requirement would have been for him to speak enthusiatically about his appointment and describe his footballing philosophy and how it's going to improve performances on the pitch. IMO he did neither and was more than happy to let the interview content be all about his past glories at Man Utd. Please don't sit there in a Reading kit and do that. TBH I found the whole thing rather boring. But then I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised about that...

Don't think he speaks enthusiastically about anything Tbf.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 03 Oct 2016 17:42

Clem is a fat gimp.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Oct 2016 19:20

Muskrat
Silver Fox

He's the interviewee, not the editor.

No one gives a shit about Reading. Especially on Football Focus. Stam could have waxed lyrical about us and mentioned Utd and ambitions a bit in passing for a tiny proportion of the interview and what they broadcast will still be almost exclusively about Utd.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 04 Oct 2016 03:51

He could have waxed lyrical about us winning the league twice in ten yeats5, about how clubs like Swansea, Southampton, Bournemouth, Leicester have all done well from a similar size.

He didn't, we move on.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 05 Oct 2016 21:54

Forbury Lion
Muskrat Made it pretty clear that he sees Reading as nothing more than a stepping stone to bigger things.
I'm sure at the same stage of their Reading careers most of our ex-managers saw it the same way, other than perhaps McDermot, Coppell, Quinn/Gooding.

So other than our most successful managers ever then :|

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 06 Oct 2016 12:45

Muskrat
Forbury Lion
Muskrat Made it pretty clear that he sees Reading as nothing more than a stepping stone to bigger things.
I'm sure at the same stage of their Reading careers most of our ex-managers saw it the same way, other than perhaps McDermot, Coppell, Quinn/Gooding.

So other than our most successful managers ever then :|
Coppell had been there, done that and was looking for the right role at the right club, he was a realist and knew what type of clubs would come in for him. McDermot was home grown, If he had been ambitious he would have left the club before the managerial role came along.

Alan Pardew is a good example, Got us promoted, rebuilt the team and got us on the way to greater things as opposed to relegated to the 4th tier. He made no secret of his ambition, in fact he said as much at a fans forum - All managers want to manage the likes of Man Utd, he wants to play for them (Nathan Tyson) and he wants to play in goal for them (Marcus Hahneman)

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 06 Oct 2016 18:00

CrowthorneRoyal

by CrowthorneRoyal » 07 Oct 2016 14:14

Courtesy of google translate:

Jaap Stam (44) at the helm Reading will in the Championship make the step from relegation to promotion soccer football. The start is hopeful. "Maybe I will at a later stage, if all goes as intended, have no throat pastilles necessary after the game."
The match between Reading and Derby County has only a few seconds on the way, as the fourth official on the line startled looks aside. He was a head shorter and half thorax narrower than the man screaming next to him. Jaap Stam has made his comeback in English football, as a trainer, and that does not go unnoticed. Ninety minutes tribe lives and moves along with the game that unfolds before his eyes. As a non-playing captain he will send his players into the attack and during change-over times. In moments of disappointment drops Tribe light by his knees, upper body inclined backwards, arms spread. After a successful combination, he folds effusive in his hands. Sometimes he seems like a caged tiger, angrily pacing that oppressive box for the dugout.

"We're almost ready for new sod in my coaching box. You can see the tracks that run back and forth tendons me those few square meters'
Jaap Stam
"We're almost ready for new sod in my coaching box," Stam said afterwards with a smile. "You look seriously traces walk to and fro tendons me those few square meters. Oh well, that's just my way of coaching. Some trainers are naturally peaceful. Not me. I sympathize with the game and want to control the boys. We want to play Reading in a different way than they were used to. Then you have to briefly sit on. And by my experience as a player I often arrive in predetermined situations. I try the players to recognize such situations themselves. Sometimes this will happen irritating them. Personally, I thought as a player also sometimes: Man, trainer, keep your mouth shut once . Since I came back. You've experienced coaches who claim that your influence is minimal. I think that's nonsense. Also during game situations you can help players to reach a good solution. That's why I'm ninety minutes for my loft. Maybe I will at a later stage, if all goes as intended, have no throat pastilles necessary after the game. I more often than keep sitting on my ass while the game is in progress. But for now I do it this way. "

Long days

Against Derby County is overriding presence also needed. The Championship is a competition in which everyone can beat each other, often with a minimal difference in goals. Then it is possible that Reading can be one week after the spectacular 1-0 win over Huddersfield Town leader has the utmost difficulty with low kite Derby County. It is George Evans in the final minute of the equalizer (1-1) against the net pounds, otherwise tribe appeared after the midweek defeat at Brentford on a new zeperd. Shaking his head, he runs the catacombs after the final whistle in with the steam from his ears.

"Personally, I thought as a player ever:
'
A day later the chagrin almost disappeared because of the points-sharing. The café Madejski Hotel, which is posted at the same stadium, the greeting is warm and with a joke. "Well, tell me where you hide your secret little camera" asks Tribe, referring to the football scandals journalists Daily Telegraph have revealed through an undercover operation. Then he orders a round of coffee, plops down on a love seat and says that the night was restless. As so often after a game. "A defeat will remain until the next match through my head," sighs tribe. "Then I'm not the coziest home. As a player I had that too. Fall asleep usually works fine, but as soon as I wake up I have football in my head. The trick is to find a good mode. That's still not succeeded. It will be the nature of the beast. I'm a perfectionist, it's never good enough. Then you have always something to grind on in your head. What I learned it: the longer you lie in your nest, staring at the ceiling, the longer it takes times. So I'd better stand out and do something useful. "

They are anyway long days for Tribe in the Championship. On the second level of England compete 24 teams, four more than in the Premier League. Plus the cups to the FA Cup and the League Cup. 'Make no mistake the heavy rhythm which our boys are, "says Stam. "Even players from the Premier League to ask me sometimes how we maintain that in the Championship. We have already played fourteen official games. In no other European league clubs are already at that number. The international match break now here comes in handy. We will also use for discussions with youth coaches and convert scouting further legs. So there really is working according to one line, at all levels. We not only want to make steps with the first team, but the whole club. "

'Make no mistake the heavy rhythm where our guys are. Even players from the Premier League to ask me sometimes how we maintain that '
Reading tribe wants to play as many Dutch coaches have in mind; 4-3-3 with a neat building backwards, via positional play to dominant football after losing possession and put collective pressure. "In the course Reading plays all times in a similar way, but the first team played the last 4-4-2 years. That was often a long pull forward, fighting to the dropping ball and watch from there. I do not mean denigrating, because there are plenty of English teams therefore have had success. And it's very difficult to play football against teams like that. In the Championship you often have to deal with it. Many clubs think differently than we do: they think it can not lead to success cared football in the Championship. We think it can indeed. In it we want to Reading will make a difference. We have already made significant progress within a few months, both collective and individual players. In the initial phase, we have trained a lot in templates. Party Games eleven against eleven to come to the correct field occupancy. Then we put the game often stopped to convey our message. The next step is the technical and tactical details therein grinding. Choosing position, put the moments of pressure, play to each other on the good leg, that sort of thing. which a week is better. "

Reading striker Roy Beerens winds its way between Richard Keogh (left) and Cyrus Christie from Derby County. Reading striker Roy Beerens winds its way between Richard Keogh (left) and Cyrus Christie from Derby County.
Kick and Rush

Reading comes from afar. Last season ended The Royals seventeenth on the list, the previous year even two spots lower. After the draw against Derby County last Saturday tribe occupied the eighth position, four points with his team behind title favorites Newcastle United. The matching game that paralleled falls in the Championship, where kick and rush by many teams are still commonplace. Tribe: 'Opponents now set themselves on us. It is now known that we cared and wanted to play attacking football. And that sometimes succeeds damn nice. So we have to deal with increasingly defensive teams. Also against clubs that are stronger on paper and have a much higher budget than us. The big clubs in the Championship have a lot more cash in hand then the Dutch top clubs. Then you can hardly expect us here in our first season here to go play the title. While we should financially to the middle. We approach every opponent with the same intention, whether Newcastle United or Aston Villa and Norwich City is: do we want with good football they win. But it is not realistic that we promoted in the short term. If you look soberly at the relationships, a final ranking in the middle would be a good achievement. England is still full of the story of Leicester City. That was wonderful, but it does not mean that every little club just become champion here. It does not work. In the longer term, promoting the ambition of the club and that's nice. But now we are still at the beginning of the whole process. "

In the process Reading must compete against financial powerhouses like Newcastle United. The last season relegated club this summer invested 65 million euros in new players, on the sales side came within 102 million. By comparison, Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord spent added up to 32 million on reinforcements. "In sporting terms, you should not underestimate the championship," thinks Tribe. "The Dutch top clubs would rotate at the top here, but they really do not have easy. The intensity, pace and physical violence that is played here is very different than the Eredivisie. The Dutch players we have brought here, we looked for guys who would not drown in the passionate game of the Championship. And the course also footballing value. So we came up with Joey van den Berg. He combines football mentality to power. Roy Beerens we wanted to play well on the wings. Roy is not the biggest of the bunch, but his technique and he plays an important weapon. "

"It is a misconception that the money is up for grabs at each club with Asian owners'
The favorable price tags played a role. "It is a misconception that the money is up for grabs at each club with Asian owners. Reading must be creative in the transfer market. We have initially focused on the UK market players, but Reading can lay no five million euros for a gain. Furthermore, calls for a mediocre player at this level simply thirty thousand pounds a week salary. That's not for us to do. Finally we have managed to snare a few good talents. John Swift of Chelsea, Manchester United's Tyler Blackett, Liam Moore from Leicester City. Ajax We have also asked about some players, but they were too expensive for us. So that for us was not an option. I also do not complain about it, I think we have a great selection. Also remains to get more from the experienced guys than they have shown so far. That's a nice challenge. And maybe we can get some targeted strengthening in the winter. "

"We look forward to a strong team with a new
"Reading the club owners left out
new look

In the 145-year anniversary of the club Reading played only three seasons at the highest level and England from 2006 to 2008 and in season 2012/13. In those times will return the new club leaders. Since 2014 Reading is also owned by Asian investors, which names the fans break their tongue billionaire Narin Niruttinanon owns half the club's shares, a quarter owned by Sasima Srivikorn, another quarter of Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth. After a disappointing previous seasons Thai trio came this summer with an official statement. Everything was different, as it came down. Above all, the broom had to go through the selection and the coaching staff. Henceforth had to look more attractive football and more attention to their own young players. "We look forward to a strong team with a new look ," the club owners left out. A new face to be shaped by Stam and his aides Andries Ulderink and Said Bakkati driven by technical director and former Ajax youth coach Brian Satisfied. "The club wants us inspiring work on the players and the club 'says Stam. "They want a sports environment where everyone is working daily with books progression, invest in yourself and in the club. That fits well with how I myself am in. Our ambition levels matched: Reading must eventually return to the Premier League. "

The shareholders Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth, Narin Niruttinanon and Vice President Khunying Sasima Srivikorn applaud the honorary terrace of Reading. The shareholders Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth, Narin Niruttinanon and Vice President Khunying Sasima Srivikorn applaud the honorary terrace of Reading.
The club wants to do so with a new training complex under construction and a fresh breeze Holland this season do the first step. Reading for Stam was a logical step, after his first experience in various positions at PEC Zwolle coach and Ajax. After the first eleven league games, he hit feel accustomed to the players and the new staff together begin. "I communicate very directly with my players because they had to get used to. English players are accustomed to listen to the coach, who here is really the boss. While I just love the dialogue. In the peace talks and we often first ask the players how they see things. At first they were reluctant to give their opinion. But most guys have their say and creates good substantive conversations about the game. Look at the teams I've played myself experienced guests spoke automatically. That ran for years participated in the summit. At Reading levels are the ratio otherwise. Even for me as a trainer in development is awfully interesting. I have worked with coaches of all types and sizes. Fritz Korbach with his great humor to the quiet Carlo Ancelotti and Alex Ferguson with his natural charisma. Sometimes I think back to the time of Korbach. Which could come in the locker room after a dramatic first half, he looked around and said, "The ball is round nice guys. Now to the good color. " Then everyone was stretched with laughter. And the message was received. So everyone has their own way of working and doing. Subconsciously you take all that and you develop a style that suits your own character. And your ambitions. it is clear to me where I want to go. I have the same ambitions as a coach I had as a player. In my playing career I've always gone higher stages. By investing a lot in myself and to make conscious choices. So I also have in mind now. The ultimate goal is the absolute top again. "

Back in the promised land

With his move from Ajax to Reading FC Jaap Stam returned last summer back to the country where he's achieved his greatest successes. In his first season at Manchester United (1998/99), the center-right defender won the treble , later that calendar year added the team coach Alex Ferguson the World to it. After his active career Stam began his coaching career in October 2009 as an interim coach at PEC Zwolle, together with Claus Boekweg. Three months later art langeler was appointed as head coach, after which Tribe assistant went to the club where he once made his professional debut. Between 2011 and 2013 he combined that work as individual trainer in the Ajax youth academy. In the summer of 2013 Tribe stepped all over the Amsterdammers. After a year in the coaching staff of head coach Frank de Boer got to the camp along with Andries Ulderink charge of Ajax. End of November 2015 took root, after an individual course program, his diploma coach professional football. On June 13, 2016 he signed with Reading as head coach a two-year contract, with an option for yet another season.

Career as a professional footballer
Period Club official opponents Goals
1992-1993 FC Zwolle 33 1
1993-1995 SC Cambuur 66 4
1995-Jan. 1996 Willem II 19 1
1996-1998 PSV 89 11
1998-2001 Manchester United 125 1
2001-2004 Lazio 94 4
2004-2006 AC Milan 66 2
2006-Oct. 2007 Ajax 52 2
Total 543 26
Orange caps 67 3
Honour Roll

PSV champion (1997), KNVB Cup (1996), Johan Cruijff Schaal (1996, 1997, 1998)

Manchester United champion (1999, 2000, 2001), Champions League (1999), World Cup (1999), FA Cup (1999)

Lazio Coppa Italia (2004)

AC Milan Supercoppa Italia (2004)

Ajax KNVB Cup (2007), Johan Cruijff Schaal (2006, 2007)

Individual awards of the Year Dutch Footballer (1997), Best Defender UEFA Champions League (1999, 2000)

Dutch enclave in Reading
They worked only a few months as a duo at Ajax, when Jaap Stam and Andries Ulderink looked beyond the horizon. The cooperation was good and they agreed that once, when the opportunity arose, she also side by side were going to make the next step in their career trainer. "Our roles similar to that at Ajax," says Ulderink, previously as head coach worked for De Graafschap and AGOVV. "I do a lot of long-term planning, keep me busy with the composition of the selection and enter discussions with the medical staff about the capacity of players. Jaap takes as head coach of the decisions, but he is open to my input. We are used to communicate openly and directly with each other. "

After a year at Ajax, where they were sometimes more than thirty players on the training ground, Ulderink tribe and came to the conclusion that an additional assistant was required. The management did not need but could still Tribe Said Bakkati (34) adding to his staff after some insistence. "We knew each other from the time he played at PEC Zwolle" says Stam about the former player from SC Heerenveen, ADO Den Haag Go Ahead Eagles, PEC Zwolle and FC Emmen. 'Said began as a player already to his trainer course, I knew his ambitions and abilities. And given his background, I also saw a role for him in dealing with the Moroccan youth players at Ajax. There were plenty of reasons to get him there. " Ulderink adds: 'Said anyway gives players a lot of personal attention. He is also quite handy with images. Of upcoming opponents he makes compact clips, he used training images which he analyzes with players. "

Bakkati that early next year at the English Football Association continues the course TC 1 which he had begun at the KNVB: "Ajax is often focused on big names. While there are plenty of coaches who have not played in Orange, but do have a good look at football and coaching. On the other hand, every day here in England how big brands status Jaap. Irrespective of its intrinsic qualities as a coach, everyone knows him as the great Manchester United player and Orange. Jaap took the floor they listen, as he enters test your respect. For my development as a coach it is great to work with guys like Jack and Andrew. "

In addition, Brian Please as technical director and Joey van den Berg, Roy Beerens and danzell gravenberch in the selection is the Dutch big factor in Reading. It trainer trio follows their former club Ajax from distance, with special attention to the promises. Tribe: 'I think it's nice to see that Ajax finally considered real training team. This need, I repeatedly stated last year. It happened too often that we had to play football with five or six frustrated players from the first team. It strikes me that some people do now with Ajax as the football is different from last year. So it is not natural. What the youth team regards the question remains to what players head coach looks down and which are not. In addition, the public opinion seems to play a role in some choices. But, for guys like Abdelhak Nouri and Frenkie de Jong is nice that they have already made their debut. It is because of the weekly changes in the selection not easy work at Ajax, but it was good to be working with player development. Also at Reading is again part of our work, but with players of different ages. "

Ulderink: "The period at Ajax was beautiful and instructive and Reading for us is a good next step. Here we can our ideas lost three of us in a different football culture. You never know how things go, but I am concerned we are going fifteen or twenty years in this composition by. "

Stam: "That would just be."

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Oct 2016 15:04

"We're almost ready for new sod in my coaching box," Stam said afterwards

So we're sacking him then?