Anyone For Chinese?

948 posts
Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Anyone For Chinese?

by Orion1871 » 23 Jun 2023 20:00

Royal_jimmy Even Madejski was excited about the owners when they took us over.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39947420

He must feel sick now

According to Ady Williams on the radio this morning Madejski's daughter calls the stadium the "Sad Stad".

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Mar 2024 18:44

tidus_mi2 Yes it could go all tits up but I'd rather not be constantly concerned about something that is out of my control.

Nah I'm sure it'll be fine

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Mar 2024 19:07

Tbf, reading back there was plenty of skepticism at the time.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Mar 2024 19:25

WAZZOCK Here's a radical idea. This could be the best thing that ever happens to this Football Club.

Worth reposting

But yes plenty of scepticism generally

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Mar 2024 19:45

Hound
WAZZOCK Here's a radical idea. This could be the best thing that ever happens to this Football Club.

Worth reposting

But yes plenty of scepticism generally

The clue is in his username tbf

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Mar 2024 21:09

tmesis
Snowflake Royal
On Strings
And how long were they unable to play there, and how many years were they ground sharing? Dai could be a huge thorn in our side if he wants to be. We need to part ways as amicably as possible.

Luckily we have a shit ton of options on our doorstep.

3 or 4 years max wasn’t it?

The nearest league standard ground is Wycombe. After that you are looking at Aldershot or Oxford. Any money we'd save by not paying Dai rent would be far outweighed by the loss of crowds.

Brighton erected temporary stands around a local running track with the pitch in the middle. Don't think we have anything like that though.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Mar 2024 23:10

Ascotexgunner
tmesis
Snowflake Royal Luckily we have a shit ton of options on our doorstep.

The nearest league standard ground is Wycombe. After that you are looking at Aldershot or Oxford. Any money we'd save by not paying Dai rent would be far outweighed by the loss of crowds.

Brighton erected temporary stands around a local running track with the pitch in the middle. Don't think we have anything like that though.

Having the pitch in the middle was a good idea from them

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 14 Mar 2024 23:35

Ascotexgunner
tmesis
Snowflake Royal Luckily we have a shit ton of options on our doorstep.

Palmer Park? It's council owned as well.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Mar 2024 23:41

Palmer Park is difficult because of the leisure centre and adjoining football pitches and the car park being tiddily. I'm also not sure whether the internal dimensions support a football pitch. But yes that's the best option if it does come to that.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 14 Mar 2024 23:43

Chameleon
Ascotexgunner
tmesis The nearest league standard ground is Wycombe. After that you are looking at Aldershot or Oxford. Any money we'd save by not paying Dai rent would be far outweighed by the loss of crowds.

It would be gutwrenching to go to Palmer Park to watch but if it has to happen, it has to happen.

Dare I say this. If the club is sold but Dai still owns the stadium I'd do it, for a couple of seasons to get the f*cker out of the Mad Stad. He will have to sell the ground to us if its making no money for him and it can't be used for anything else.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Mar 2024 08:06

Reading4eva
Chameleon
Ascotexgunner

It would be gutwrenching to go to Palmer Park to watch but if it has to happen, it has to happen.

Dare I say this. If the club is sold but Dai still owns the stadium I'd do it, for a couple of seasons to get the f*cker out of the Mad Stad. He will have to sell the ground to us if its making no money for him and it can't be used for anything else.

He'll probably just think Wycombe will move in - or Chelsea will rent it whilst they sort out Stamford Bridge.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 15 Mar 2024 08:57

SCIAG Palmer Park is difficult because of the leisure centre and adjoining football pitches and the car park being tiddily. I'm also not sure whether the internal dimensions support a football pitch. But yes that's the best option if it does come to that.

Is there not a football pitch in the middle already? I'm sure I played a match there in the early 90s. Long time since I've been but is the cycle track round the outside still there and does it have a bit of banking, that would be more of an issue for putting some temporary stands in.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Mar 2024 08:59

6ft Kerplunk
SCIAG Palmer Park is difficult because of the leisure centre and adjoining football pitches and the car park being tiddily. I'm also not sure whether the internal dimensions support a football pitch. But yes that's the best option if it does come to that.

Is there not a football pitch in the middle already? I'm sure I played a match there in the early 90s. Long time since I've been but is the cycle track round the outside still there and does it have a bit of banking, that would be more of an issue for putting some temporary stands in.

Went past it on the train last week, there is a bit of green in the middle, but it looks way too small for a professional pitch.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 15 Mar 2024 09:04

6ft Kerplunk

I played there in the late 90s. Felt a bit more special with that stand by the side. My team were crap that season though so surprise surprise we got beat.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 15 Mar 2024 09:06

Hendo
6ft Kerplunk

Went past it on the train last week, there is a bit of green in the middle, but it looks way too small for a professional pitch.

I recall some team did play there, and got barred from promotion because the pitch is too small

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Mar 2024 13:03

tmesis
Hendo
6ft Kerplunk Is there not a football pitch in the middle already? I'm sure I played a match there in the early 90s. Long time since I've been but is the cycle track round the outside still there and does it have a bit of banking, that would be more of an issue for putting some temporary stands in.

I recall some team did play there, and got barred from promotion because the pitch is too small

Yes. Saw some Reading FC comemorative game there back in the 90s, Ian Branfoot was managing so we spent much of the game singing "Branfoot out" for old times sake.

Think it was Highmoor/IBIS that played there and failed promotion because of the pitch size.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Mar 2024 19:32

6ft Kerplunk

Don’t think there’s a cycle track but there are large banks of soil around the edge of the track yes. Not sure that’s entirely disadvantageous but I’m not an architect.

The middle of the track is currently an athletics field for throwing events. In theory you could of course use it for more than one thing, but others have said that the dimensions aren’t right.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 15 Mar 2024 23:16

Personally would rather keep the training ground and get a new stadium in the town centre. Hexagon site is ideal.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2024 10:02

Jagermesiter1871 Personally would rather keep the training ground and get a new stadium in the town centre. Hexagon site is ideal.

So you'd rather keep the site we can't afford and simultaneously spend £100m or something crazy on a new stadium causing abysmal traffic chaos every game?

No thanks.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 16 Mar 2024 11:50

Jagermesiter1871 Personally would rather keep the training ground and get a new stadium in the town centre. Hexagon site is ideal.

LOL

948 posts