windermereROYAL
Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Surely he isn't serious.

Just had a quick measure:

Footprint of Royal Mail site - 11,837m2
Footprint of SCL - 101,695m2
Footprint of Elm Park - 50,306m2

So yeah, just need 10 times the size of the RM site to fit a football ground and everything else required...

:lol: that tells you all you need to know about whether its worth reading his posts. :lol:

Nobody is forcing you, there is a block option. i worked there for RM and the site including the car park is huge.

You've been given the dimensions and you're still arguing about it. Just admit you're wrong.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Anyone For Chinese?

by rabidbee » 22 Mar 2024 12:31

I've just used a historic mapping tool to measure Elm Park, and I make it just over 16,000 m2.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Mar 2024 12:45

windermereROYAL
Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Surely he isn't serious.

Just had a quick measure:

Footprint of Royal Mail site - 11,837m2
Footprint of SCL - 101,695m2
Footprint of Elm Park - 50,306m2

So yeah, just need 10 times the size of the RM site to fit a football ground and everything else required...

:lol: that tells you all you need to know about whether its worth reading his posts. :lol:

Nobody is forcing you, there is a block option. i worked there for RM and the site including the car park is huge.

You used to work there? Well that changes everything. Clearly Hendo's numbers are completely wrong and it's not at all 1/10th the size of the Mad Stad site. In a location that's dreadful for increased traffic

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 22 Mar 2024 12:49

If you also bought all of the shops and bars on Vastern Road, it's only marginally smaller than the Mad Stad site, although its trapezoid shape would constrain the room for the actual ground. You'd be exitig the ground straight onto busy roads though, it'd be madness.

Of course, if you're playing fantasy stadiums, you could just buy a load of land north of Vastern Road too, and construct a tunnel under the new North Stand.

Edit: I just measured the area of the ground and the access roads around it, which come out at around 46,000m2. I guess the 100,000-odd m2 includes car parking and other access roads to the site?
Last edited by rabidbee on 22 Mar 2024 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Mar 2024 12:50

Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL
Snowflake Royal :lol: that tells you all you need to know about whether its worth reading his posts. :lol:

You used to work there? Well that changes everything. Clearly Hendo's numbers are completely wrong and it's not at all 1/10th the size of the Mad Stad site. In a location that's dreadful for increased traffic

It`s bigger than the hexagon.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Mar 2024 12:51

windermereROYAL
Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL

And the SCL site is vastly bigger than that.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Mar 2024 13:09

windermereROYAL
Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL

Just done a quick measure, and the footprint of the hexagon and old civic building site is 11,891m2 - so it's actually almost identical.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 22 Mar 2024 13:33

Jagermesiter1871 The current stadium is in dire state of repair; leaking roofs, rust, brick work crumbling, drab concrete interior, etc; thus is going to require a good level of investment.

Location has always been its achilles heel, but not sure the stadium is as bad as that. 26 years old and yep, a new lick of paint, roof repairs if necessary, would all help but we're not talking tens of millions here. You've now got the rail option at Green Park, as well as bus lane improvements on the A33 Relief Road. If Royal Elm Park ever gets off the ground, that would have a pretty transformative effect, with permanent bars, restaurants and ice rink :!: Persuade Double-Barrelled, Phantom to relocate around Acre Road and you'd have a great pre-match venue a la Magic Rock at Huddersfield or Staggeringly Good at Portsmouth.

A town centre stadium would be incredible, but unless you can persuade Tesco to move from Napier Road, can't really see any other viable sites.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Mar 2024 13:51

Whore Jackie
Jagermesiter1871 The current stadium is in dire state of repair; leaking roofs, rust, brick work crumbling, drab concrete interior, etc; thus is going to require a good level of investment.

Location has always been its achilles heel, but not sure the stadium is as bad as that. 26 years old and yep, a new lick of paint, roof repairs if necessary, would all help but we're not talking tens of millions here. You've now got the rail option at Green Park, as well as bus lane improvements on the A33 Relief Road. If Royal Elm Park ever gets off the ground, that would have a pretty transformative effect, with permanent bars, restaurants and ice rink :!: Persuade Double-Barrelled, Phantom to relocate around Acre Road and you'd have a great pre-match venue a la Magic Rock at Huddersfield or Staggeringly Good at Portsmouth.

A town centre stadium would be incredible, but unless you can persuade Tesco to move from Napier Road, can't really see any other viable sites.

Fcuk, no. 1 road in and out, locked between the railway line and the river. That would be a nightmare.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Mar 2024 13:51

Whore Jackie

I think they are knocking stuff down and building some flats round Napier Road anyway.

If we ever moved from SCL it’d be to a similar slightly out of town location. As mentioned in your post the more likely outcome is the town centre leaks further out in that direction and get some better stuff along the A33

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 22 Mar 2024 16:08

Hound
If we ever moved from SCL it’d be to a similar slightly out of town location. As mentioned in your post the more likely outcome is the town centre leaks further out in that direction and get some better stuff along the A33

Probably a site south of the M4 off the A33

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Mar 2024 16:25

NathStPaul
windermereROYAL
Snowflake Royal :lol: that tells you all you need to know about whether its worth reading his posts. :lol:

You've been given the dimensions and you're still arguing about it. Just admit you're wrong.

Yeah but you could fit loads of letters and parcels on the site

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 23 Mar 2024 10:07

SouthDownsRoyal
Jagermesiter1871
Snowflake Royal So you'd rather keep the site we can't afford and simultaneously spend £100m or something crazy on a new stadium causing abysmal traffic chaos every game?

No thanks.

In what sense can't we afford the training ground? If we had a decent setup the training ground/academy would have paid for itself in the players its produced and the fees we should have received from say Olise and Abbey alone. The tg is also a huge draw and the reason for most of the decent signings we've made since not being able to offer proper wages.

The current stadium is in dire state of repair; leaking roofs, rust, brick work crumbling, drab concrete interior, etc; thus is going to require a good level of investment. Brentford managed to build their new stadium, in central London, for £70 mil, so think £50mil should be an achievable target in Reading. Work in selling the current land, sell the council on the increase in town foot fall/revenue to a dying high street and it being greener as far less fans will drive and you should be able to get some sort of grant as well. The traffic is already fairly shit at the current site and as said, i think people will be far less likely to drive to a town centre stadium.

Did they?

The sources I've seen suggest so. Do you know otherwise?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 23 Mar 2024 10:09

windermereROYAL
Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL

Not if you include hexagon, broad street mall, old civic centre land and the surrounding, all of which are in dire need of demolition. Excavation for under stadium parking already started.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 23 Mar 2024 10:20

Jagermesiter1871
SouthDownsRoyal
Jagermesiter1871
In what sense can't we afford the training ground? If we had a decent setup the training ground/academy would have paid for itself in the players its produced and the fees we should have received from say Olise and Abbey alone. The tg is also a huge draw and the reason for most of the decent signings we've made since not being able to offer proper wages.

The current stadium is in dire state of repair; leaking roofs, rust, brick work crumbling, drab concrete interior, etc; thus is going to require a good level of investment. Brentford managed to build their new stadium, in central London, for £70 mil, so think £50mil should be an achievable target in Reading. Work in selling the current land, sell the council on the increase in town foot fall/revenue to a dying high street and it being greener as far less fans will drive and you should be able to get some sort of grant as well. The traffic is already fairly shit at the current site and as said, i think people will be far less likely to drive to a town centre stadium.

Did they?

Think you need a word with your ITK sources m8

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 25 Mar 2024 15:35

SouthDownsRoyal
Jagermesiter1871
SouthDownsRoyal
Did they?

It's not an itk source. It's every website on the internet.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Mar 2024 15:44

Jagermesiter1871
SouthDownsRoyal
Jagermesiter1871

Brentford is a suburban town in West London, England and part of the London Borough of Hounslow. It lies at the confluence of the River Brent and the Thames, 8 miles (13 km) west of Charing Cross.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brentford?wprov=sfti1#

That would be like Reading building their new stadium in Sulhampstead and claiming it was in the town centre.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Mar 2024 17:07

Come on Jager, surely you aren’t that dim.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 27 Mar 2024 02:44

Hendo
Jagermesiter1871
SouthDownsRoyal Think you need a word with your ITK sources m8

Brentford is a suburban town in West London, England and part of the London Borough of Hounslow. It lies at the confluence of the River Brent and the Thames, 8 miles (13 km) west of Charing Cross.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brentford?wprov=sfti1#

That would be like Reading building their new stadium in Sulhampstead and claiming it was in the town centre.

I thought we were debating the price. I already addressed it wasn't central London, but the point still stood that London (west London no less) would be dearer than Reading.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 27 Mar 2024 02:45

Snowflake Royal Come on Jager, surely you aren’t that dim.

Always desperate to deflect

948 posts