Dominic Samuel
No votes

Total votes: 81
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Player of the Season - At the halfway point

by genome » 29 Dec 2016 19:19

This is a toughie. Real toughie.

For me, it could easily go to McCleary or Swift - Al-Habsi is in with a shout as well. But I'll go with Liam Moore, he came in and steadied us and from what I can see hasn't put a foot wrong. And at 23, one of our best signings in years.

I'm only including players in the poll with reasonable time in the first-team (over 10 league appearances) with the exception of Dominic Samuel and Liam Kelly who have made notable contributions.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Player of the Season - At the halfway point

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Dec 2016 19:23

+1 for Moore.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Dec 2016 19:25

Liam Moore for me without a shadow of a doubt.

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 29 Dec 2016 19:40

It's a really close call but I've gone for GMac. He has already weighed in with 8 goals and has really got back to playing some of his best football.

Liam Moore has had a massive impact on our defence and is currently shaping up to be the next Beckenbauer with his forward surging runs. He was sorely missed at Fulham a few weeks back when we shipped 5 goals.

I'd like to give both players my vote but I can only vote 1 and based on his massive improvement this season over the last two more disappointing ones, it has to be GMac. Moore will be PotS come the end of the season.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 Dec 2016 20:37

Moore for me as well. By far the most consistent player so far this season

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Dec 2016 20:42

McCleary with Moore a very close second. Could well change by the end of the season.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Dec 2016 20:50

Nice to have some genuine competition for a change.
I'd agree that Moore and McCleary are the front runners, with al-Habsi and Swift fighting it out for a place on the podium. I also think McShane deserves a mention in dispatches. He has worked hard to fit into a system that doesn't really suit him and is the first to go in where it hurts. I think Evans has also done well in the unglamorous midfield role, Obita is much improved over last season and Kermogant has got better as the season had progressed.
Luke Moore gets my vote though.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 29 Dec 2016 21:21

Moore is the best player at the moment for me as well. He just oozes class. Swift was our best player before he got injured. Over the whole of the season I think McCleary might have done a bit more than both of them - scoring goals in a team without enough strikers half the time. I went for Gunter who has also been immaculate and seems to suffer most when we change formations, but copes nonetheless.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Dec 2016 21:26

Jack Celliers Moore is the best player at the moment for me as well. He just oozes class. Swift was our best player before he got injured. Over the whole of the season I think McCleary might have done a bit more than both of them - scoring goals in a team without enough strikers half the time. I went for Gunter who has also been immaculate and seems to suffer most when we change formations, but copes nonetheless.

"Moore is the best"

"Swift was the best"

"McCleary has done more than the best"

"I'm going for Gunter"

lolwut :lol:

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Dec 2016 21:46

Unimaginable luxury, in comparison to the last two seasons, of having lots of players deserving of a pat on the back at this stage. Instead of a kicking. My vote at this stage goes to Liam Moore, but there were quite a few other names in my virtual hat.

Hants Royal

by Hants Royal » 30 Dec 2016 09:21

It has to be Liam Moore for his consistency and the noticeable difference to the team when he is not available. GMac in second place.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 30 Dec 2016 10:05

Liam Moore easily.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Dec 2016 11:17

Voted for Liam Moore. McCleary was very very close. Swift in joint 3rd with Al-Habsi.

George_

by George_ » 30 Dec 2016 11:31

1) Moore
2) McCleary
3) Swift

sloughroyal123

by sloughroyal123 » 30 Dec 2016 11:42

Am I the only one who said Evans? He's become a vital part of the team and has really come into his own in recent weeks

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Dec 2016 11:51

sloughroyal123 Am I the only one who said Evans? He's become a vital part of the team and has really come into his own in recent weeks

Seeings how it says he has 1 vote I'm assuming it's safe to say that yes, you're the only one who voted for him.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Dec 2016 11:58

sloughroyal123 Am I the only one who said Evans? He's become a vital part of the team and has really come into his own in recent weeks

Definitely an unsung hero. I don't think he's made as big a contribution as Moore, McCleary and Swift but maybe that's because of the type of role he has.

As a side note, I was baffled that he was dropped in favour of Williams instead of JVDB against Norwich. When he came on we improved immeasurably. I am still not sure why Joey is getting so much time in the first team, whenever I've seen us he's looked a liability. I missed a few games at the start of the season, was he that good then?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Dec 2016 12:32

Swift hasn't quite delivered enough yet despite huge early promise, not helped by being out. Moore looks the most talented player in the team. McCleary's delivering, although I'd rather fewer of his goals were penalty rebounds.

I voted Al-Habsi because he continues to be excellent after starting with us as a bit of a joke signing.

I haven't really seen enough of the team to make a strong judgement though.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Dec 2016 14:18

genome

Definitely an unsung hero. I don't think he's made as big a contribution as Moore, McCleary and Swift but maybe that's because of the type of role he has.

As a side note, I was baffled that he was dropped in favour of Williams instead of JVDB against Norwich. When he came on we improved immeasurably. I am still not sure why Joey is getting so much time in the first team, whenever I've seen us he's looked a liability. I missed a few games at the start of the season, was he that good then?

Joey's performances this season have been a bell curve peaking in September-October. He wasn't great in August and he's fallen off again in the last few weeks. There was a spell where it looked like we had a really good player on our hands, solid defensively but also with a good passing range and real footballing intelligence.

Voted for AAH personally. I think he's won us more points than anyone else. Moore is also up there and of course McCleary deserves to be in the top three after finally regaining his form. Swift is probably our most talented player but he'd had a few quiet games before his injury. I don't think he's actually done enough to be considered in the same category as those three.

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 30 Dec 2016 14:44

Moore has been immaculate but right now mccleary for me. As well as delivering and contributing greatly he gets the supporters off their chairs and that's what it's all about.
Last edited by WestRoyal on 30 Dec 2016 14:47, edited 2 times in total.