Boo-boys down through the years

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Boo-boys down through the years

by BR0B0T » 03 Jan 2017 22:19

From Despair To Where?
Seol was another one. Capable of winning games single handedly. Wish we'd had him in 2007-08.

He just came across as really lazy...rem watching him falling behind
the other lads in the fecking warm-up <smh>

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 04 Jan 2017 03:22

From Despair To Where? Never understood the Rougier hate.

Whether you 'got' Rougier or not - and I very much liked him, (especially when he was playing with Forster) he was undeniably soft in front of goal. Plus his treatment was very much correlated with the cult of Cureton

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Jan 2017 06:14

BR0B0T
From Despair To Where?
Seol was another one. Capable of winning games single handedly. Wish we'd had him in 2007-08.

So basically he didn't run around like the Britiish/lrish lads?

Typical Racist Reading fans.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 04 Jan 2017 06:51

I remember Colin Gordon's treatment. he had big shoes to fill in Trev but when Trev's supply line was sold off with the spine of the 85-86 team, poor Colin had little or no service to work with. He also looked the part for a bustling number nine and he came with a good goal scoring record at Wimbledon.

After a couple of months of no goals he was serenaded with "motivational" boos and donkey impersonations, which must have done his shot confidence the power of good. He redeemed himself for one rain soaked midweek miracle at Stamford Bridge, and then reverted to type afterwards.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 04 Jan 2017 07:52

sandman
BR0B0T
From Despair To Where?

So basically he didn't run around like the Britiish/lrish lads?

Typical Racist Reading fans.

FurQ!....I've got the 'Get out of racist Jail Card' anyways

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 04 Jan 2017 08:16

I once watched a day tripper sat in front of me take such a personal offence to Pogrebnyak being brought on to chase a game that he decided to flounce out leaving his wife and 2 small children behind.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Boo-boys down wthrough the years

by Sutekh » 04 Jan 2017 09:25

Mr Optimist I remember Colin Gordon's treatment. he had big shoes to fill in Trev but when Trev's supply line was sold off with the spine of the 85-86 team, poor Colin had little or no service to work with. He also looked the part for a bustling number nine and he came with a good goal scoring record at Wimbledon.

After a couple of months of no goals he was serenaded with "motivational" boos and donkey impersonations, which must have done his shot confidence the power of good. He redeemed himself for one rain soaked midweek miracle at Stamford Bridge, and then reverted to type afterwards.

To be fair a fair few of the players between 1987 and 1990 got real stick. Not always deserved as Branfoot's direct style had been found out and Smee had no money so any half decent talents were sold off double quick.

Francis Joseph, Mark Whitlock, Irving Gernon and Paul Franklin spring to mind as getting jip off supporters. Then when we did manage to find some cash both Steve Moran and Craig Maskell suffered. Then there was Mike Conroy. Of all of them I never understood why Maskell and Conroy got stick.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 Jan 2017 10:43

Matt Mills probably deserved a boo or two for letting the East Stand moaners get to him.

I remember Andy Hughes being guest speaker at an event at the Mad Stad and someone who didn't know who he was asked if players got affected by booing from the crowd, He said he ignored it but some players were affected and he described a player who took it personally and was really upset that it affected his game - was pretty obvious he was talking about Rougier..... so there we go, anecdotal evidence that booing your own players either has no effect or makes them worse, in effect not helping at all!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Jan 2017 12:32

Forbury Lion Matt Mills probably deserved a boo or two for letting the East Stand moaners get to him.

I remember Andy Hughes being guest speaker at an event at the Mad Stad and someone who didn't know who he was asked if players got affected by booing from the crowd, He said he ignored it but some players were affected and he described a player who took it personally and was really upset that it affected his game - was pretty obvious he was talking about Rougier..... so there we go, anecdotal evidence that booing your own players either has no effect or makes them worse, in effect not helping at all!

Interesting that you mention Andy Hughes, first person I remember getting ironically cheered as they were substituted. Think we sold him to Norwich not long after.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 04 Jan 2017 13:03

When I started watching Reading in 2000/1 season I had great seats in front row - pretty much in the middle of the Upper West ... but I gave those up because of two old farts sitting behind me who could not stop having a go at first John Salako and then Shaun Goater ... they literally spent the whole game complaining and reminded me of the two guys in the Muppet Show. The highlight of their moaning was a game where we beat Ipswich 3:0 ... and they managed to still moan that we didn't manage to score any more goals after half-time.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 04 Jan 2017 13:18

Royalwaster When I started watching Reading in 2000/1 season I had great seats in front row - pretty much in the middle of the Upper West ... but I gave those up because of two old farts sitting behind me who could not stop having a go at first John Salako and then Shaun Goater ... they literally spent the whole game complaining and reminded me of the two guys in the Muppet Show. The highlight of their moaning was a game where we beat Ipswich 3:0 ... and they managed to still moan that we didn't manage to score any more goals after half-time.

We haven't beaten Ipswich 3-0 at home at the Madejski.

And we've notched in the second half in all but two matches against them at the Madejski (0-1 March 2009, 1-0 August 2014).

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 04 Jan 2017 14:07

I think Waster is right, I remember a Forster hat trick against Ipswich around this time, you are probably going to be smart and say it was 3-1 now!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Jan 2017 14:19

Mr Optimist I think Waster is right, I remember a Forster hat trick against Ipswich around this time, you are probably going to be smart and say it was 3-1 now!

Yep 3-1 http://www.royals.org/matdoc/191002.html

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 Jan 2017 14:40

Royalwaster When I started watching Reading in 2000/1 season I had great seats in front row - pretty much in the middle of the Upper West ... but I gave those up because of two old farts sitting behind me who could not stop having a go at first John Salako and then Shaun Goater ... they literally spent the whole game complaining and reminded me of the two guys in the Muppet Show. The highlight of their moaning was a game where we beat Ipswich 3:0 ... and they managed to still moan that we didn't manage to score any more goals after half-time.
Hmm, I wonder how Woodcote Royal, Skyline and Mr Angry are these days.... did one of them keep shouting "keep your shape".

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 04 Jan 2017 15:55

Tilehurst End……some idiot always stood behind us and booed and cursed Carl Asaba from the 1st minute. Proper ‘look at me’ stuff. Asaba was looking an utter waste for the £800k spent in fairness but scored 4 goals in two home game (Sunderland and Crewe) to shut the fooker up for a few weeks.

Don’t think I’ve ever booed a Reading player, although did wave some y-fronts on pants day. Probably mentally booed Robson-Kanu every time he was on the pitch.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Jan 2017 16:35

Never got the Asaba hatred. Scored 13 goals in a truly crap team which doesn't strike me as a bad player. As I recall most had at go at him for not being able to head a ball very well as being about 6 foot and playing up front they all seemed to expect him to be another Jimmy Quinn despite the fact that pace and getting the ball to his feet was his game :roll:

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 04 Jan 2017 16:59

Hope Akpan always got some stick from me but I would never boo.

Always made himself available for the ball by moving closer to the opposition and his second touch was always a tackle. Stealing a living as a Championship footballer

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 Jan 2017 13:23

Reminds me of a newspaper match report article that described Bas Savage as a player who treated the ball like it was his mortal enemy, I think he was also described as Bambi on ice but I can't remember if that was in the press or just on here.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Jan 2017 13:30

Forbury Lion Reminds me of a newspaper match report article that described Bas Savage as a player who treated the ball like it was his mortal enemy, I think he was also described as Bambi on ice but I can't remember if that was in the press or just on here.

I seem to remember Bas Savage having his best game in a Reading shirt in the home League Cup game v Chelsea 2004ish?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 05 Jan 2017 15:14

Sutekh

Great album.