17303 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Zip » 27 Jan 2021 20:58

Hound
Zip
Hound Suppose that’s Brentford’s issue - that’s soft conceding in that position

Rotherham 2-0. Proper massive bonus result that. 3 home defeats in a row for Colin if it stays that way

Bristol City our biggest threat for top six then :lol:

Bloody hell maybe

....and they really are dreadful. Great results tonight. We can overtake Swansea and Watford. Not so sure about Brentford. They were dominant tonight.
Norwich must be delighted with the results over the past few days.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jan 2021 21:04

Pretty shocking effort from Swansea despite sneaking a draw. Apparently their goal was a cross that sneaked in, and that was one of 2 shots they had

2 shots to 21. And they were at home and 3rd in the table

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Jan 2021 21:16

Had we a stronger side out we would have been Swansea imo. I haven’t been impressed by either them or Watford. Brentford are flying. Their fans are fuming tonight. Apparently it should not have been a free-kick leading up to the Swansea goal. We will face a true test when we play them in a couple of weeks.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 27 Jan 2021 21:29

WoodleyRoyal Great set of results tonight couldn’t have asked for better. That boro result was most unexpected pretty much nailed on for the playoffs at least now.

If we can get through this next month or so and still be in the playoffs we’ll have done incredibly.

We still have 21 to play though. We could challenge autos or equally we could slip down the table. Just a shame we can’t see this run in person!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jan 2021 00:56

Still got to keep a close eye on Blackburn who have Luton (H) on Saturday before a favourable run in February, think they only play one team in the top 10, and that’s Watford (H) - a side who generally struggle away from home

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jan 2021 08:02

URZZZZ Still got to keep a close eye on Blackburn who have Luton (H) on Saturday before a favourable run in February, think they only play one team in the top 10, and that’s Watford (H) - a side who generally struggle away from home

Indeed but even if we only pick up 1.3 PPG from now on (essentially W1 D1 L1 for rest of season) Blackburn would need to double their current points tally to finish on the same points.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jan 2021 15:30

Stranded
URZZZZ Still got to keep a close eye on Blackburn who have Luton (H) on Saturday before a favourable run in February, think they only play one team in the top 10, and that’s Watford (H) - a side who generally struggle away from home

Indeed but even if we only pick up 1.3 PPG from now on (essentially W1 D1 L1 for rest of season) Blackburn would need to double their current points tally to finish on the same points.

Yeah, Blackburn do seem to be an inconsistent team, seem to always end up in and around the playoffs without ever mounting a serious damage

However, with Dack returning to full fitness and their defence considerably improving (which was a major problem of theirs) - only three games since the end of October they’ve conceded more than one, I can see them having a stronger second half to the season than their first half

Personally don’t see Bristol getting close to the top 6 - don’t seem a particularly great team

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 29 Jan 2021 16:09

Bournemouth look to be beating Celtic to the signing of Preston's best player, the good all-round midfielder Ben Pearson.
He is out of contract in the Summer and didn't play against us the other day.

Not sure , having signed Jack Wilshere, that they really needed another midfielder but since relegation they have done little to bring in new players, they have mostly been leaving.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Jan 2021 16:16

South Coast Royal Bournemouth look to be beating Celtic to the signing of Preston's best player, the good all-round midfielder Ben Pearson.
He is out of contract in the Summer and didn't play against us the other day.

Not sure , having signed Jack Wilshere, that they really needed another midfielder but since relegation they have done little to bring in new players, they have mostly been leaving.

Already been confirmed but too late to play tonight.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jan 2021 07:28

Bristol City have signed Henri Lansbury from Villa on a deal until the end of the season. Media reporting that Lansbury supposedly turned down offers from Reading and Watford to sign for City.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2021 08:03

Norwich, Swansea and Brentford all play at least twice before we kick a ball again. Norwich have 3 games.

Swansea v Norwich on Friday night.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jan 2021 08:29

Colin at Norwich today and Stoke away to Huddersfield

Could easily see both lose, will create a huge gap between us

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 30 Jan 2021 08:41

I’m torn on that Norwich boro game. If boro win then Norwich are only 6 points clear above us - nothing at this stage. But if boro lose then it’s better for our play off bid. The way we are playing at the moment and players coming back to fitness I fear no one in this league now and we should still have our sights set on 1st place.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 30 Jan 2021 08:53

WoodleyRoyal I’m torn on that Norwich boro game. If boro win then Norwich are only 6 points clear above us - nothing at this stage. But if boro lose then it’s better for our play off bid. The way we are playing at the moment and players coming back to fitness I fear no one in this league now and we should still have our sights set on 1st place.

I would like a draw. After last night, that's two point gained on both.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Jan 2021 09:12

skipper
WoodleyRoyal I’m torn on that Norwich boro game. If boro win then Norwich are only 6 points clear above us - nothing at this stage. But if boro lose then it’s better for our play off bid. The way we are playing at the moment and players coming back to fitness I fear no one in this league now and we should still have our sights set on 1st place.

I'm not fussed if Norwich runaway into the distance; they're a quality team and I don't expect anyone to catch them. 2nd place is well up for grabs though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jan 2021 11:17

WestYorksRoyal
skipper

I'm not fussed if Norwich runaway into the distance; they're a quality team and I don't expect anyone to catch them. 2nd place is well up for grabs though.

In some ways I'd rather have Swansea looking over their shoulder nervously than looking ahead at Norwich with determination.

Have to feel we're probably under the least pressure to perform.

Bournemouth and Watford need to get back up soon or finances become a major worry.
Brentford have been there or thereabouts for a while without making it and will be desperate to put that right.
Swansea and Middlesbrough both trying to get back after a while away, with their best attempts for a while.

Meanwhile, we're starting to move out from under a mess and are just enjoying being at the right end of the table for a change. Young squad with bags of development potential.

Obviously a rather Reading centric view, but I just don't feel we're really under the same pressure. Staying steady around 4th / 5th / 6th seems ideal. Then we can win our big match ups in the final weeks and leap front up to 2nd

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 30 Jan 2021 11:25

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
skipper

In some ways I'd rather have Swansea looking over their shoulder nervously than looking ahead at Norwich with determination.

Have to feel we're probably under the least pressure to perform.

Bournemouth and Watford need to get back up soon or finances become a major worry.
Brentford have been there or thereabouts for a while without making it and will be desperate to put that right.
Swansea and Middlesbrough both trying to get back after a while away, with their best attempts for a while.

Meanwhile, we're starting to move out from under a mess and are just enjoying being at the right end of the table for a change. Young squad with bags of development potential.

Obviously a rather Reading centric view, but I just don't feel we're really under the same pressure. Staying steady around 4th / 5th / 6th seems ideal. Then we can win our big match ups in the final weeks and leap front up to 2nd

Agree in that I doubt if the players feel the same pressure as some of the other sides at the top but as a club overall I'm not so sure; Sky keep banging on about we have to go up this season or we will breach FFP this season....from memory the commentator mentioned it in the first minute last night. It would be good to know what the complete score is money wise.

Quite annoyed with Sky banging on about how much we've spent...how many sides have 5 academy players regularly in the starting 11?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jan 2021 11:39

No chance. If we survived FFP last season, we'll survive it this season.

Loads of extra televised games, IFollow revenue making up for some of the lost attendance, higher league prize money, some big earners off the books and the ability to sell any one of about half a dozen players for millions if need be.

The league rules shouldn't punish a club for revenue lost to Covid either.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jan 2021 11:44

Snowflake Royal No chance. If we survived FFP last season, we'll survive it this season.

Loads of extra televised games, IFollow revenue making up for some of the lost attendance, higher league prize money, some big earners off the books and the ability to sell any one of about half a dozen players for millions if need be.

The league rules shouldn't punish a club for revenue lost to Covid either.

We’ve also been working with the league for the last couple of seasons. Following their rules, only getting in 1 or 2 signings, reducing our wage bill

We had a prick CEO who did his best to bankrupt us and we’ve paid the price ever since.

I think the commentator just liked the angle to make it more dramatic without really knowing what was going on
Last edited by Hound on 30 Jan 2021 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 30 Jan 2021 11:45

Every game on Sky is the same. Apparently we are in ‘Big trouble’ if we fail to go up. I’ve heard ‘imperative’ used by them too.

I think they’ve got a big hunch like many champ clubs do over our relatively modest spending on Puscas and Joao.

They should be applauding the home grown and academy grads we are producing.

17303 posts