Rival Watch

17303 posts
Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by Simmops » 31 Jan 2022 09:29

NathStPaul Sunderland supporters will never be happy. They are in a decent position despite the Bolton defeat, they needed to just stick together and ride it out. I'm no fan of Lee Johnson but his dismissal is really unfair.

ever since that documentary on netflix they think they are a bigger club then what they are

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 31 Jan 2022 09:45

Sunderland won the League 3 times in the 1890's, but last won the League in 1936, and last won a trophy (FA Cup) in 1973 as a Division 2 side - their first trophy since winning the FA Cup in 1937.

Not much of a history to go on really..........(and yes, I know it is more than our's but the way the media talk about them it gives the impression that they are the North Eastern equivilent of Barcelona......)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Jan 2022 10:07

NathStPaul Sunderland supporters will never be happy. They are in a decent position despite the Bolton defeat, they needed to just stick together and ride it out. I'm no fan of Lee Johnson but his dismissal is really unfair.

I think it is partly due to a theme in away games there this year, this is their third of fourth tonking on the road there was a 5-1 at Rotherham, a 4-0 at Portsmouth and a 3-0 at Wednesday, so through in a 6-0 on a run of 1 win in 5 and can see why they pulled the plug.

If only we could do the same.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jan 2022 10:19

Stranded

I think it is partly due to a theme in away games there this year, this is their third of fourth tonking on the road there was a 5-1 at Rotherham, a 4-0 at Portsmouth and a 3-0 at Wednesday, so through in a 6-0 on a run of 1 win in 5 and can see why they pulled the plug.

Think they won something like 5 in 6 before that run.

I can see why theyve done it - sounded like the 6-0 performance was utterly shambolic. And they are deseperate for promo

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Jan 2022 10:25

Hound
Stranded

Think they won something like 5 in 6 before that run.

I can see why theyve done it - sounded like the 6-0 performance was utterly shambolic. And they are deseperate for promo

Don’t particularly like Sunderland but when you consider the two teams 1st and 2nd in League One, think I’m keen for them to go up too :roll:

Although I guess it may not be an issue for us at this rate

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 31 Jan 2022 10:26

Saw a Sunderland fan on Reddit say they were a really streaky team and Johnson was very stubborn and stuck in his ways.

Sounds a lot like Pauno.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 31 Jan 2022 10:27

Zip
WestYorksRoyal Obviously I wouldn't want to swap places with Derby, given that they don't know whether they'll still exist in 2 months time. But at a time of adversity, it looks like the whole club is pulling in the same direction and it shows on the pitch, while nothing of the sort is on show here. If they catch, they'll deserve it.

Can’t agree unless they pay their debts. Otherwise they are cheating the system. They are keeping all of their best players and doubtless looking to get out of paying creditors in full. It should not be allowed. They are getting away with it big time and it may well be at our expense. If our club was in any way properly organised we would be challenging the EFL over this right now.

That offer for Lawrence was low balled. If someone had done the same to Swift, we'd have wanted the club to reject it. And they terminated Jagielka's contract, but presumably it's not that easy to tear up contracts at will.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Jan 2022 10:35

WestYorksRoyal
Zip
WestYorksRoyal Obviously I wouldn't want to swap places with Derby, given that they don't know whether they'll still exist in 2 months time. But at a time of adversity, it looks like the whole club is pulling in the same direction and it shows on the pitch, while nothing of the sort is on show here. If they catch, they'll deserve it.

Can’t agree unless they pay their debts. Otherwise they are cheating the system. They are keeping all of their best players and doubtless looking to get out of paying creditors in full. It should not be allowed. They are getting away with it big time and it may well be at our expense. If our club was in any way properly organised we would be challenging the EFL over this right now.

That offer for Lawrence was low balled. If someone had done the same to Swift, we'd have wanted the club to reject it. And they terminated Jagielka's contract, but presumably it's not that easy to tear up contracts at will.

It was a low offer but 1) he is out of contract soon, 2) they desperately need money, 3) many initial offers are turned down with the expectation of a higher offer coming in and 4) they have said he is not for sale.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 31 Jan 2022 10:39

Zip
WestYorksRoyal
Zip

It was a low offer but 1) he is out of contract soon, 2) they desperately need money, 3) many initial offers are turned down with the expectation of a higher offer coming in and 4) they have said he is not for sale.

It's a strange position because while the logic of staying up would be worth more than the 400k or whatever was on offer plus his high wages probably bring the total saved to Derby to be somewhere between £1-1.5m but if they run out of money before the end of the season that's it isn't it? Liquidated, gone, there should be a fire sale right now but there isn't. They must be confident a takeover is happening otherwise there is no way they're completing the season surely.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Jan 2022 10:53

Bournemouth signing Todd Cantwell now.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 Jan 2022 10:55

Pepe the Horseman Bournemouth signing Todd Cantwell now.

They'll hope it will be a case of Todd Canplaywell.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Jan 2022 11:00

NathStPaul
Pepe the Horseman Bournemouth signing Todd Cantwell now.

They'll hope it will be a case of Todd Canplaywell.

Get out.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jan 2022 11:02

Jagielka's contract wasn't terminated. They weren't allowed to offer him a new 6 monther when the original one ran out

Dixie Norm

by Dixie Norm » 31 Jan 2022 11:21

zip 40 points will be enough for safety this season

I was kind of hoping 22 would be enough

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 31 Jan 2022 11:23

Dixie Norm

Since we still have to play Peterborough, the absolute lowest it can be is 23.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 Jan 2022 11:33

paultheroyal
Mid Sussex Royal
Needle I'd take Jagielka :wink:

But yeah, that's shit. Was kind of hoping they'd pull off the great escape, although recent events might have meant at our expense.

Yes defs particularly if Dann is now out for a bit

Jagielka would be a great signing, but he would stay up north and end up somewhere like Stoke City.

Again... 8)

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 31 Jan 2022 11:34

tidus_mi2
Dixie Norm

Since we still have to play Peterborough, the absolute lowest it can be is 23.

If you takw ppg currently, multiply it out over the 46 games, then take into account the points deductions for us and Derby....you are likely to end with this...

Barnsley bottom on 24 points
Peterboro second bottom on 35 points
And then us and Derby around the 39/40/41 points area
Cardiff are likely to be safe on circa 45 points.

With 18 games left we NEED to get to around 45 points. We have 22. So we are looking at 23 or so points from 18.
A run of 6-5-7 or 7-2-9 or maybe 5-8-5. Unfortunately, you know we will lose more than 5 games remaining.
So simply...we have to win minimum of 6. Hang on everyone, it's going to bumpy !

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 Jan 2022 11:37

I wondered why exactly the Tom Lawrence bid wasn't accepted. Was it around £500k? If they are projected to run out of money but February/March time, does potentially £500k not buy them an extra couple of weeks at least to secure new ownership of the club?

It seems like a fair and reasonable offer to me given his contract is up in 5 months time. That's probably about the value of his contract so you're essentially saving £500k on his wages whilst receiving £500k payment, essentially a £1m swing in favour of the financial side of the club. Surely their biggest priority has to be bringing in whatever income they can so that the club can keep going for longer.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Jan 2022 12:24

YorkshireRoyal99 I wondered why exactly the Tom Lawrence bid wasn't accepted. Was it around £500k? If they are projected to run out of money but February/March time, does potentially £500k not buy them an extra couple of weeks at least to secure new ownership of the club?

It seems like a fair and reasonable offer to me given his contract is up in 5 months time. That's probably about the value of his contract so you're essentially saving £500k on his wages whilst receiving £500k payment, essentially a £1m swing in favour of the financial side of the club. Surely their biggest priority has to be bringing in whatever income they can so that the club can keep going for longer.

Yep. That’s how I see it.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 Jan 2022 12:27

Zip
YorkshireRoyal99 I wondered why exactly the Tom Lawrence bid wasn't accepted. Was it around £500k? If they are projected to run out of money but February/March time, does potentially £500k not buy them an extra couple of weeks at least to secure new ownership of the club?

Yep. That’s how I see it.

The only reason to not accept that is because they are confident new owners will be in place before ultimately liquidation. That might well be true but it doesn't seem that way at the moment from what we know.

17303 posts