Rival Watch

17303 posts
South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by South Coast Royal » 03 Feb 2022 10:01

YorkshireRoyal99 Not great that Cardiff managed to secure back-to-back wins but good to see that Derby lost.

Showing some optimism, teams like Cardiff and Hull have recently proved how pivotal just one win can be to a team's confidence when you've been on a bad run and I would back us to do something similar as well, the sooner the better.

The table currently looks like it's going to be 3 teams going down out of 4, but if we can beat Peterborolugh and pick up another results in the games against Bristol City and Coventry, it will suddenly look very bleak for the bottom 3. Obviously if it doesn't work out that way, the picture looks a lot worse for ourselves but I wouldn't put it past us to do that despite our current form.

Cardiff have shown what can happen with a change of manager (see also Sheff Utd and Middlesborough) whereas Reading, Barnsley and Peterborough have kept theirs and continue to languish.

Perhaps there is something to be said about this change of manager lark? :wink:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 03 Feb 2022 10:12

South Coast Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 Not great that Cardiff managed to secure back-to-back wins but good to see that Derby lost.

Showing some optimism, teams like Cardiff and Hull have recently proved how pivotal just one win can be to a team's confidence when you've been on a bad run and I would back us to do something similar as well, the sooner the better.

The table currently looks like it's going to be 3 teams going down out of 4, but if we can beat Peterborolugh and pick up another results in the games against Bristol City and Coventry, it will suddenly look very bleak for the bottom 3. Obviously if it doesn't work out that way, the picture looks a lot worse for ourselves but I wouldn't put it past us to do that despite our current form.

Cardiff have shown what can happen with a change of manager (see also Sheff Utd and Middlesborough) whereas Reading, Barnsley and Peterborough have kept theirs and continue to languish.

Barnsley sacked their manager a few months back, and got an unknown foreigner in again, is Kia advising their owner?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Feb 2022 10:12

South Coast Royal

Barnsley have changed their manager this season and have struggled throughout the season really.

Cardiff have changed their manager and, whilst the last 2 games have put them in a healthier position for sure, they've hardly been in great shape previous to that and another slump in form from them could easily drag them back into the battle.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Feb 2022 10:17

YorkshireRoyal99
South Coast Royal

Barnsley have changed their manager this season and have struggled throughout the season really.

Cardiff have changed their manager and, whilst the last 2 games have put them in a healthier position for sure, they've hardly been in great shape previous to that and another slump in form from them could easily drag them back into the battle.

Yeah, Cardiff changed in October 2021 and apart from last 2, they had a record of 3-3-6, which compared to Reading is 2-3-7 so only 3 points better off than us in that period. The last 2 games have been key for them.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Feb 2022 10:22

YorkshireRoyal99
South Coast Royal

Quite - Cardiff are hardly having a new manager bounce Forest was a good win but last night from what I have read they were very lucky to get a win - Barnsley were the better side. I expect them to win next up to as they are playing Peterborough, their wins are a quirk of the opponents they are now facing (arguably, so have our defeats - though not the manner of them) - prior to these wins Cardiff had picked up 2pts from last 18.

What it shows is how 2 quick wins can change the outlook.

The new Barnsley manager is yet to taste victory in the league. Only win was a 5-4 home win over Barrow in the cup.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 03 Feb 2022 10:26

I didn't say that changing the manager guarantees success but doing nothing and bringing in such few players doesn't fill me (and most others) with confidence.
A lot rests on Meite being the player that he was and Tommy Mac is one of those perceived to be better and better the longer he is out. :wink:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Feb 2022 10:26

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99
South Coast Royal

Quite - Cardiff are hardly having a new manager bounce Forest was a good win but last night from what I have read they were very lucky to get a win - Barnsley were the better side. I expect them to win next up to as they are playing Peterborough, their wins are a quirk of the opponents they are now facing (arguably, so have our defeats - though not the manner of them) - prior to these wins Cardiff had picked up 2pts from last 18.

What it shows is how 2 quick wins can change the outlook.

The new Barnsley manager is yet to taste victory in the league. Only win was a 5-4 home win over Barrow in the cup.

Yep. Cardiff fans saying what a dreadful game it was last night and how poor they were but they won and did so with the winner from one of our former Academy boys.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Feb 2022 10:51

South Coast Royal I didn't say that changing the manager guarantees success but doing nothing and bringing in such few players doesn't fill me (and most others) with confidence.
A lot rests on Meite being the player that he was and Tommy Mac is one of those perceived to be better and better the longer he is out. :wink:

Hull did nothing with McCann until the takeover and they managed to get out of the relegation zone early on in the season with some good form and a couple more wins before McCann's depature also put them in a good position as well to stay up. During the summer window, they barely invested due to their transfer embargo as well.

I'm not saying it's the case for every club, but it's still possible that we don't have to change our manager to achieve survival this season. As much as I think it would benefit us now, I can't see us being much better off come game 46 under a new manager for 6 months and Pauno. Obviously, that will never be proven though, but that's just my view.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 03 Feb 2022 13:02

Derby situation getting worse by the day according to the BBC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60243825

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 03 Feb 2022 13:12

Derby and Forest fined for the mess during the derby.

Exactly what they needed I'm sure.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Feb 2022 13:12

Royals and Racers Derby situation getting worse by the day according to the BBC

we can only hope

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Feb 2022 13:49

The longer it drags on and on the harder finding a buyer will be. They may also have problems in the future as well.

For example, if they are to stay up at our expense, then they'd likely have problems then, similar to what they've got with Wycombe and Middlesbrough because we'd be suffering from lost revenue because they've essentially cheated this season, by fielding players like Bielik who they haven't paid for, for example as well as other reasons as well.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Feb 2022 13:52

YorkshireRoyal99

The longer it drags on and on the harder finding a buyer will be. They may also have problems in the future as well.

For example, if they are to stay up at our expense, then they'd likely have problems then, similar to what they've got with Wycombe and Middlesbrough because we'd be suffering from lost revenue because they've essentially cheated this season, by fielding players like Bielik who they haven't paid for, for example as well as other reasons as well.

Possible. Not sure the EFL have helped themselves either be allowing them to sell Plange and then loan him back. That is essentially a new registration, which given they are under embargo shouldn't have been allowed.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Feb 2022 14:09

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99

Possible. Not sure the EFL have helped themselves either be allowing them to sell Plange and then loan him back. That is essentially a new registration, which given they are under embargo shouldn't have been allowed.

Yes that's another example as well potentially and there are many others as well.

I hope they don't go under, but I also hope they don't stay up at our expense either.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 Feb 2022 14:28

Yeah. It's not going to be pretty - it probably will be a 21st place finish - but I think survival will happen more comfortably than others think.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Feb 2022 14:33

No sympathy if Derby get liquidated. They could have sold key players/big earners in January and chose not to. It’s their problem.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Feb 2022 15:15

So what exactly do administrators do? I would have said that when they go into a business they look at the outgoings and start immediately rationalising processes and making any cuts that they can and sell any available assets - which, to my mind, would include putting an entire playing squad up for sale and inviting any reasonable offers. The money saved and brought into the club is then used put towards settling the outstanding debts (do football creditors still take precedent?).

Or is football some weird exception to what you’d think is logical?

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 03 Feb 2022 15:23

Yeah this has me confused too, why are Derby not forced to sell players in the January window to bring in some funds to shore up the club, regardless of the fact some players may be massively cheap compared to their actual value?

Also, in that article Rooney talks about bringing in free transfers - how are they potentially allowed to do that if they're financially screwed?

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 03 Feb 2022 15:26

Sutekh So what exactly do administrators do? I would have said that when they go into a business they look at the outgoings and start immediately rationalising processes and making any cuts that they can and sell any available assets - which, to my mind, would include putting an entire playing squad up for sale and inviting any reasonable offers. The money saved and brought into the club is then used put towards settling the outstanding debts (do football creditors still take precedent?).

Or is football some weird exception to what you’d think is logical?

I believe you are right Sutekh, that is exactly what administrators do. The creditors want paying. so firstly you simply raise any
cash you can...so of course with a football club, you sell your assets eg the players.

I can't see how Derby are going to get out of this, but that's football. And although like others have said....they got themselves into this
mess, and if their demise keeps us in the Championship...then I think we'd all take that.

Next season is going to be very interesting for a lot of Championship clubs !! :shock:

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 03 Feb 2022 16:16

Derby(and Forest) have to find £10,000 each after been fined for the melee during the Championship match last month

17303 posts